After Kurai left Suzumi in bed, she went to her room. She had decided to let Jin stay with the girl. It would let her know Kurai was still there to help as she would never leave without Jin and hopefully make her feel better. In the short time they'd been together, it appeared Suzumi had bonded with Jin. Then again, who could blame her. Kurai had often believed Eel Hounds to be very charismatic creatures.

Of course, she was so tired from everything that she didn't even bother to look for food. She just shut the door behind her and slipped under the covers, tucking a knife under the pillow. She rubbed her cheek against it. Mm ... Nice and soft. She quickly fell asleep. When Minoru slipped into her room, she was facing away from the window he had entered through, lying on her side with her hands hidden under the pillow ... and a secure grip around the handle of her knife.

The only sounds were the soft mummer of the wind and the creatures of the night outside. It seemed the king had a garden nearby filled with frogs and crickets, there was also the soft hooting of an owl nearby.

"Kurai..." he whispered edging closer. She looked asleep, her hand under her pillow and her head turned away, she didn't move at all as Minoru crept closer. Only a few strands of loose hair moving with the air from the open window.

"Kuku?"

He reached out his hand to touch her shoulder when suddenly there was an explosion on movement in front of him. His quick reflexes took it all in at once but he was in no position to stop when was coming. The blanket flew Kurai's legs swinging round the glint of a blade sliding out from under her pillow. Her feet alighted catlike on the floor her empty hand pushing him against the wall as the blade pressed into his throat.

She reacted before she even realized what was happening. That was the trade off of reflexes. You fell into it and whatever happened, happened. Her heart was racing, her adrenaline was pumping, she was so very ready to press the blade into someone's soft, exposed throat and leave a new coat of paint on the wall! "... Mi-kun ..." she whispered. She blinked. "I mean ... Minoru ... What ... what are you doing here? Why did you sneak in?"

"I wanted to see if you were alright." Minoru admitted, "You almost died in your fight against Asuka if I haven't have bent those flames..." she pressed the blade harder int his neck. Heather it was intentional or not it cut him off in mid sentence. "If you do that you'll be leaving a little sooner than in the morning, if at all." he breathed trying not to move his throat against the blade. His eyes never left hers "And I think you'll agree you can't risk an early exile and leave that child aloe on the world. I see it in your eyes you care for her. I don't know why but I do know you. A part of you. And you can't take care of her, yourself and our child alone." he paused "I want to travel with you, wherever you're going."

By the Fire Lord, those eyes of his! She cursed herself for that weakness and tried to look away but found it impossible. He sounded so honest and he wasn't the type of man to lie to her ... and then he had to mention the child ... their child. But she didn't move the knife just yet. "You should think about that for a moment," she said softly. "The girl wants to find her family, taken by the Fire Nation, you realize that means going back. Defying your exile." She was testing him. A part of her wanted him to back out. Another part wanted him to accept the danger and come regardless. Because she still loved him, because even she knew she would need the help.

Tenzing was taken back by the king's comment. Because he had stopped the fight before anyone could get too badly hurt, Tenzing had assumed him to be a man of peace. Perhaps he had been wrong, because Yuan Ping seemed more than willing to resort to violence if it became necessary. The way he had said it, however, was what had struck Tenzing as being truly odd. He seemed to regard matters of war and state playfully, almost like a child. Either the ruler of this city was a little mad, or so secure in his power that he felt he could afford not to be serious.

Slightly flabbergasted, Tenzing said nothing as the king moved to the seating area. He followed behind him, being sure to stay on guard in case the man made any sudden, erratic movements. He didn't take a seat with the king, instead choosing to remain standing a few feet away from him as they watched the new confrontation between Suzumi and Kurai. He realized suddenley that the Water Tribe girl was the same child he had refused to help earlier, before the fighting broke out in the city. He also recognized the Fire Nation bounty hunter and her male companion as being the ones he had briefly followed. Listening to their conversation, he now knew beyond a doubt that the two of them were rebels, but still Fire Nation nevertheless. Suzumi had discovered this as well, and was now quite upset.

"That girl... the refugee. She has lost so much. Now she feels that she must fight back." Tenzing remarked mostly to himself hoping that the Earth King would not overhear. It occured to him then and there that he and the young girl had much in common, and he felt a small pang of regret at not having helped her before. Maybe he could make it up to her now and come to her aid if things came to blows between her and the Fire Nation expatriots. She seemed much too unbalanced at the moment to put up an effective fight on her own.

That was not to be, however, and with things resolved between Suzumi, Kurai, and Minoru. As the king retreated into his palace, Tenzing stepped in behind him, coming up to walk at his side. Tenzing spoke evenly and calmly, carefully measuring the force behind each of his words. "You must know this won't end here. The Fire Nation will strike again, if not here then somewhere else. Something has to be done." He awaited Ping's response, studying his body language for any sign.

"And I'll be traveling with an earth kingdom peasant and a noblewoman turned fighter. I doubt you'd be waving pleasantly to every patrol you meet, and you may need a firebender to lend you credibility as citizens." His eyes flashed in the darkness, "Besides it sounds like fun." just as she was showing another side of herself so he was beginning to do the same, instead of revealing to her the hatred of the rules of firenation nobility to his dutiful wife in the privacy of their bedchamber it was time to show her how he behaved without them. No more talk, simply action. "Besides do you think I'll let you sneak through the blockcades, cross the entire firenation and break into a prison, let alone find which one it is first without your husband?"

He was right. They would need all the help they could get. And ... she really did miss him ... She finally stepped away and sheathed the knife. She needed distance between her and him or she would never be able to think right. "I'm going to see if I can get her up at the crack of dawn. The sooner we leave the better. You're going to need the rest, too. Have you eaten anything yet?" It would have been just like him to get so caught up in things that he'd forget to eat.

He shook his head, taking his opportunity to sit down while he wasn't millimeters away from bleeding to death. Choosing a corner of the bed he crosses his legs, not hungry despite of not eating at all that day. "Though I think its time to answered eachother's questions. An outburst like today's would kill us in the firenation. My first is, Kurai, how did you find me?"

When he shook his head, she snorted. Yeah, she was right. Blasted male ... She walked over to the window to look outside, in the hopes that some fresh air might do the trick. That and not looking at him. Whenever she looked at him, her cursed stomach did those somersaults again. She crossed her arms, the sheathed knife in one hand. She glanced over her shoulder at him. Was he serious. How did she find him?! Really ... She eased off on the skeptical look and turned her attention out the window again. "Your vessel disappeared not far from shore. I decided that was my best bet and was looking around for clues when I happened you. What were you planning on doing with yourself, if I hadn't come across you."

Minoru shrugged his eyes never leaving her. "I would have found a way back to the Firenation." he said. "In honor or chains I would have returned to you. Though to be honest my plan relied on my father still in command of the fleet." He stretched relaxing into the conversation. "Next question: Why did you keep this from me?" He gestured to her pole arm and clothing.

At the mention of "this" she blinked, turned slightly, and then looked down at herself. It seemed like years ago since she'd played the submissive wife. It certainly had been a lifetime ago. "Submissive military wife, remember. No one is supposed to have known about me like this." But she liked being like this. It felt ... it felt great! It was freedom, it was power, it was independence! She looked down at the black pearl necklace, picked it up and examined it in the moonlight. "How do you feel about expecting a child?"

He answer wasn't the one she wanted, and should extent to the military husband, but he held his tongue.

"Having a child with you is a dream come true." standing he made his way to her, standing just behind her at the window. "You will make a good mother." She felt his hand on her back, a light touch letting her know he was there. "Will you give me a chance to be the child's father?"

Her heart was pounding in her chest at his words. She turned around slowly and looked up at him. He was so close and he stood there, so calmly, while her stomach did somersaults again. But she couldn't turn him away. Especially not now. She took his hand, took a deep breath, then placed the hand on her stomach. Of course, it was too early to feel anything but that gesture gave him a more fitting answer than any words she could have said.

They were close, his rough hands on her stomach. Still as soft and delicate as he remembered it. Her gesture melted the last of his tension, the last of his doubt. He didn't have to worry about going with her, because he would. With an audible exhalation he gave into the moment. His other hand slid around her back and pulled her to him as he kissed her forehead, his hand rubbing lower on her stomach. "I missed you." was all he could manage before kissing her lips still nor knowing if she would push him away or worse. He was no longer in control of his hands and they brushed her skin, his heart as it raced, of his lips and they pressed into her, or his mind as it melted with desire.

"Mmm ..." She tilted her head up, eyes drifting closed. He smelled, he tasted, he felt so good. She wondered if he knew that, knew what an effect he had on her. Bastard. She wanted to hate him for that, hate him for making her so weak. So ... His lips found hers and her arms moved up to rest on his shoulders. So ... His tongue slipped out and her mouth opened to his. Not to be undone, her tongue slipped out. Their kiss was slow but hot, two lovers reuniting. Just this moment, only this moment. The world could have fallen around them and they would still be kissing like this.