A boisterous laugh escaped Yuan Ping as he heard the loud sounds of scraping stone from the far end of the city, the door being sealed to defend the city from further attack. He turned to the group and sized them up. "Well, I am familiar with most of you. But I'm afraid that you are too violent to keep in this city so I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave tomorrow, until then you will stay as guests in my palace where I can keep an eye on you and I will send you with guards until you leave this city. That goes for the rest of you as well." The king turned his gaze to the non-combatants, Suzumi, Fei, even the airbenders that stood nearby. "I am locking down this city from all new arrivals. Until then all of you come inside and rest." The king flicked his wrist and Minoru and Kurai were freed from their stone prisons.

---

Suzumi watched the whole ordeal, her gaze drifted to the direction Asuka was taken. The king frightened her but for some reason he was comforting. She just hoped that nobody attacked him, it seemed like he could defend himself better then anything anyone could throw at him. Especially Miss Kurai and the firebender man, in their weakened states they probably wouldn't even be able to handle him together.

Tenzing had watched the battle with muted interest for several minutes before it finally came to its abrupt conclusion. Standing unseen atop the outer walls of the palace, he hoped the dueling firebenders would exterminate each other as the battle grew more and more intense. Their skills were truly a sight to behold, but he could hardly appreciate them. Images of how the Fire Nation armies would have used the same abilities to murder his people kept flashing into his mind, choking his throat with anger and sadness. It didn't matter to him that one of them was apparently fighting to save the city; they both deserved to die as far as he was concerned. Other spectators had gathered to observe the battle, but like him, none of them were doing much to interfere nor had they seemed to notice him yet. They were all probably thinking the same thing: "Best stay out of it until the duel is over and we see who wins."

The duel didn't reach a satisfactory conclusion, however. A poweful earthbender had emerged from the palace and restrained the combatants, declaring all fighting officially over. The city had survived the invasion, it seemed, although it doubtlessly would never be the same. As the Earth King moved to return within the palace, Tenzing glided over to his position and landed a few paces behind him.

"So, you're just going to let the invading admiral go free? The one responsible for the deaths of countless citizens you were responsible for? Surely, she deserves to die. Or would that be too violent a punishment for one such as you to enforce?"

Minoru bowed to the king, for the forst time showing respect to another, other than the woman he had once called his wife. It was a fair decision and Minoru hadn't planned on staying anyway though Asuka being alive and bound to spread the word of his apparent defection meant he couldn't return home. The only person left that he knew had spent most of the day trying to kill him. He spared her a nod before turning away to watch Asuka being taken off. He had no home now. *he bent down to pick up his shirt wincing in pain as he did so before he pulled his arms through the shirt followed by his head. Asuka had managed to hurt him but he didn't want to show it in front of Kurai.

Kurai watched Minoru walk away. She wanted nothing more than to let him go, to forget all about him ... It might make things easier if she did! But if she did ... He had a good head start by the time her feet started to move. He was headed down a long corridor and she wondered if he knew where he was going. "Minoru!" she called out. Her voice cut through the silence and echoed, thanks to the high ceilings here.

He paused and she took the opportunity to catch up to him. She wasn't content with staring at his back, though. She circled around, looked up at him. But something on his face made her look away and then she started doing something peculiar ... She reached behind her to pull her hair over her shoulder and began to run her hands over it. It was a habit Minoru might remember, the one she did whenever she became nervous about something ...

Kurai and Minoru were facing each other, their first morning as man and wife. They were introducing themselves to each other and then Kurai grabbed her hair and began to run her hands over it. "What are you doing?" Minoru asked, watching her.

Kurai blinked and her cheeks turned red, her hands paused. "Um, this?" She smiled sheepishly and her hands started running over her hair again. "I ... I always do this ... I guess it's a nervous habit of mine."

Minoru smiled. "I think it's cute."

If it was at all possible, her face turned even more red! "Th ... thank you ..."

"So ... with that psycho bitch gone and all ..." Kurai was saying. "This is a good time as any to talk. I figured this means you don't want to return to the Fire Nation. Guess that's ... your choice. I'll be glad to kick your ass later, when that Earth King isn't hovering around, waiting for an excuse to do something nuts. I don't get these rulers but you're a noble so maybe you understand some of it ..." She was rambling, she knew, but she was tired and she was ... she was ... desperate.

Minoru turned, the were alone in the corridor. It was indeed a good time to talk. "Kurai, I'm tired." he said, and he didn't mean it in only the physical sense. "I'm not going to fight you anymore. There is nothing left for me back home, no house, no title. No family. The only person I care about is standing in front of me and I hardly recognize her." his eyes lingered of her hand running through her hair, a look of sad longing passing over his features as he recognized the nervous habit. He himself was holding his elbow.

"I would just like to say.... You look as beautiful in that as you did in your wedding dress."

"The only person I care about is standing in front of me and I hardly recognize her. .... You look as beautiful in that as you did in your wedding dress."

Kurai froze as his words registered. Then the tears were blurring her vision and she growled. "Gaaaahhhh!" She pushed against his chest. He didn't budge which pissed her off even more and she pushed him again. Damnit, still not even the slightest movement! "Don't say that! Don't you dare say that to me! All these words ... all these feelings ...! The woman you married was a lie!" She furiously wiped the tears from her face but that just forced more to appear!

"I can't turn back time! I can't be the woman you deserve! I've always been like this! I've always been rough! I've always known how to take care of myself! You deserve a woman who is graceful ... who knows etiquette and how to tell servants how she wants her house run! You deserve someone who is going to be caring and supportive ... I ..." She took a step back. She was losing her nerve, her will to fight. She had to get out of here. "I ..." She swallowed and shook her head. "I can't do this anymore."

She turned and started walking--quickly!--away, fists clenched to her sides!

Before she could get far his hand closed around her arm, gripping her tighter then he had ever before. "Kurai, do you mean to say everything you ever told me was a lie?" His voice was rising in desperation. You mean every kiss was false?" his face shone below his eyes twin rivers being cut through the grime of the battle. There was one last thing he could do, one last test.

Grabbing her other arm he pulled her forwards pressing his lips into hers searching for his answer.

Kurai wanted to growl, swear, hit him when he grabbed her arm and asked her something like that. She wanted to deny it! She was going to deny it! But then his lips were on hers and every protest she'd thought of flew out the window. Her heart was pounding, there were butterflies in her stomach, everything else but him and her seemed to disappear ...

Tears threatened to overwhelm her again. When had she become such a baby?! Why, Minoru, she wanted to ask. Why are you doing this to me? But this kiss ... this kiss was far too familiar to resist. Felt too good to resist. He was nibbling on her bottom lip and she was flicking her tongue over the corner of his mouth. She found herself pressed up against him so tightly, she could feel their hearts beating against each other.

The tears were falling again and she cursed herself. Damnit, Minoru had ruined her for any other man. He was the only one she could ever love. That was a burden she was prepared to carry. But did he realize it?

Minoru's hands were no longer gripping her arms as she gave him the answer he had been looking for. When pulled her into him wondering around her familiar form with a desperation like he had never shown her before. Then as suddenly as it he had started it Minoru broke off the embrace.

"Kuku..." he said breathlessly even though his hands still held her to him. His voice carrying an undercurrent of desire and passion. "Tell me it was real."

When he said her nickname, it filled her with longing. When he said her nickname in that tone of voice, it filled her with so much more. She found her head against his chest and his arms around her. She closed her eyes, brushed her cheek against his shirt. She really wanted to deny it. The way she saw things, if she denied it, he would let her go and she could leave. She would never tell him she was in love with him and the child, if she was indeed carrying it, would be raised by her and her alone. Simple, right?

"The woman you married was a lie," she said softly, slowly. Words were something you could never take back. Words were powerful. She had to be careful with them. "But the kisses she--I--gave you were always real." And hence, the emotions behind them were real as well. She loved him. She would always love him. But could they return to being husband and wife, even with this large gap between them?

Real kisses from a fake woman. No...

"The woman I married was a stranger. The woman I grew to know, was real." He stepped back from her pulling his arms away. "She just wasn't all the woman I married, just a part." He turned away becoming more distant with every word. "I want to get to know you, all of you. If you can open up to me." His guard was down, his cards on the table and his heart in his throat and even as he walked away he hoped she'd say something, stop him leaving.

Kurai stared at his back, then she growled and looked for something to throw at him! Anything! She had to settle for her boot which she hurled at the back of his head! She didn't wait for it to hit him before she started marching! She blocked his way again, punched his arm! "You stupid, hardheaded ... male!" she hissed! "You want me to open up to you! Ha! You want me to tell you everything! Is that it? You're just going to wait for me to bare, bare everything!" She ran her fingers through her hair, started to walk away, turned, walked back to him.

She poked his chest! "And then what, you're going to kiss away all my hurt, all my pain! You, a man banished from his home, is going to make everything alright! You're going to accept me and then--what, build a life with me? And what about ... what about if it's true!" She pulled close to him so he could hear her whisper. "What if I really am carrying your child?" She pushed him hard on the chest again! "You told me you were going to stay! You were going to take care of me! And then you--you run off to fight that psycho bitch! Don't start telling me you had no choice! 'Cause you saw damn well the Earth King seems to have everything covered!"

Minoru growled low in his throat, moving his arm defensively knocking hers aside. "So what if I can Never return home? Neither can you. But I ask you whose been upfront here?" his arm whipped back grabbing hold of her wrist. "I did not do what I had to, I did what I could to make sure you were safe." his eyes ran down her form for the hundredth time. His attraction her her was not the pure love of a husband, not entirely. Her new rougher appearance brought up hidden desires that were entirely unsuited the the pure good wife she had been before and there was no way to stop it showing on his face as with a rough hand he brushed the hair our of her face then with strength hed never before used on her he pulled her into a rough embrace. "Be my wife tonight."

Suzumi rounded the corner, Jin steps behind her. The two of them comforted each other as the battle raged. Suzumi was worried that Asuka would defeat Kurai and Jin would be homeless, and Suzumi certainly had no clue on how to take care of an eel hound, especially one so large. He was certainly a gallant beast. As she rounded a corner she saw Kurai and Minoru fighting, or at least Kurai yelling at Minoru.

"You told me you were going to stay! You were going to take care of me! And then you--you run off to fight that psycho bitch! Don't start telling me you had no choice! 'Cause you saw damn well the Earth King seems to have everything covered! Lady Kurai is from the Fire Nation? B-but she seemed so kind...she is one of THEM, one of the monsters, and that man she is with, he is one too? This is awful...I...I can't...what do I do?

"You, you lied to me! You're one of those monsters too! One of the ones who stole my family, one of the ones who destroyed my home. And to think I trusted you! You...MONSTER! Both of you!" Suzumi could feel the urge to take the red water from their very bodies and let them drop, lifeless to the ground. She cried out in pain, tears streaming down her face. She couldn't bring herself to fight but she couldn't bring herself to forget her pain the Fire Nation caused her, she had been strong throughout the invasion of Asuka but this knowledge hit her harder then she had anticipated.

---

Yuan Ping saw everything, as he always did and with a knowing smile he shifted the walls and created a more dynamic looking place for the confrontation between the Fire Nation group and the poor Water Tribe girl. If it looked like anyone would get a killing strike he'd intervene but until then he was going to enjoy the drama play out. He always had a flare for theatrics and wanted to bask in the drama, maybe he'd even write it down and formulate it into a play.

Kurai froze. Be his wife ... She snapped out of it when Suzumi appeared. Shame replaced shock and then she tore her arm out of Minoru's grasp and rushed after the girl. She'd never felt guilty about anything before. She hadn't technically lied to her, though ... Damnit, was it her fault the girl had assumed she wasn't Fire Nation?! "Suzumi! Suzumi! Wait, at least allow me to explain!"

"I do love a theatrical performance, don't you young sir?" The king chuckled, a sound almost akin to a chittering monkey, he had completely blown off the question that Tenzing had posed, and for that he felt bad. He turned to the man and looked him square in the eye. "It takes someone of true strength to allow his enemy to live, especially when you have the power to crush the very life from their brittle bones and turn them into a squirming pile of mush!" The same chittering laugh erupted from the king as he pulled a set of steps out of the wall leading up to a seating area he had created. He waved for Tenzing to follow him as he began up the steps, his hands held behind his back like an old man out have them.

----

"Explain? What is there to explain? Your people, the Fire Nation," she nearly spat, her rage building her body shaking and tears starting to flow from her eyes in torrents it seemed, "They tore my family away from me...killed my teacher, burned my home. Because of your people I was forced to flee, to come to this city and seek the aid of the Earth Kingdom. All because your leader is mad with power, and the fact that Sozin's comet gave him the ability to take whatever he wanted. It's all your fault that I'm alone now, but no, not you Miss Kurai, your people especially...HIM!" She pointed to Minoru, acid words coming off her acid tongue, hatred welling up inside her. "He's a fire bender, a fighter, just like the rest of them. He probably even knows where my family is, or if they're even alive. WELL DO YOU!? TELL ME! ONE OF YOU TELL ME!" She quickly pulled the water out of the bottle on her hip and threw it at Minoru and Kurai, not having the strength or emotional prowess to make it do anything but get them wet.

Suzumi fell to her knees, tears streaming down her face. She had been the calm one this whole time, it was her turn to cry and break down. She brought her hands to her face. She wouldn't hurt them, she couldn't. She knew if she wanted to actually fight them she would die.

"I-I'm sorry." She said from behind her hands as they went up to cover her face, hiding her sobbing.

Kurai surprised even herself when, just when it seemed she and Minoru were going to be turned into ice sculptures, she stepped between him and Suzumi. But she didn't have time to dwell on it. And if he mentioned it later on, she was going to deny it. She waited until Suzumi was done and was beginning to sob.

"Suzumi, please ..." she said, slowly walking up to her. She went down on her knees in front of her and put a hand on her shoulder. Then she slipped both arms around her and pulled her into a hug. "Yes, I should have told you I was Fire Nation and the man I was hunting ... my husband. But believe me, we risked our lives today because we don't believe in what the Fire Lord believes in or that psycho bitch. It does little to soothe your loss but please, allow me to help you get your family back, at least find out what happened to them."

Suzumi couldn't fight it any longer she just hugged Kurai back and continued to sob, her words unintelligible as she buried her face in the other woman's shoulder. She was sure she was making a scene but frankly she didn't care. She could feel others eyes on her but as she cried a darkness set in over her eyes, she had finally broken down to the point of passing out, it could be that she hadn't slept since her village was destroyed, at least not peacefully. As the tears slowed she slipped out of Kurai's arms and lay on the floor, completely asleep, her shallow breaths still came in a bit ragged at times like a child who had spent hours crying before. Her crumpled form shuddered a little and she curled into the fetal position.

---

"Take her to a room!" The king instructed, talking to nobody and everyone at once. He was actually worried about the poor girl but he had made his rule, they were to all leave in the morning, but that didn't mean he couldn't give them a nudge in the right direction when he sent them on their way.

Kurai studied Suzumi lying on the floor. The girl really did need help. Being alone in the world, it wasn't for kids. She knew that from experience. She didn't wait for anyone else to help her with Suzumi. Jin was suddenly beside her and together they managed to get her on his back. Then they looked around for an empty room they could put her in and when they finally found one, they put her into bed and tucked her in.

Kurai sat on the edge of the bed and brushed a stray strand of hair from her face. She'd meant what she said. She would help Suzumi find her family, one way or another. Even if Minoru didn't know, there were still places with information. She looked at Jin who was lying on the floor between the bed and the door.

Minoru's temper was tested as when he was trying to reconnect with his wife a little brat had to come and ruined the moment. He watched Kurai carry the kid off and could help but feel a tinge of pity for her once he recognized the symptoms of tragedy. Still he would be going to bed alone and Kurai was still likely to attempt to kill him. His mood was still smoldering when he closed his door though the longer he sulked the more determined he became to at least check of she was alright, she had been though a lot in the past day, they both had.

It was in the dead on night that Minoru stole out of his room, sure that even the king with his listening tubed couldn't hear him. Silently he entered the moonlit courtyard and with a running start, a few jumps, some climbing and a somersault was climbing into her window.