Status
Not open for further replies.
Ming's response to his request caused his eyebrows to furrow not expecting an expression like that to come from her, he was heading to what he believed was a tea-house that wasn't exactly a rare activity.
Her words only seem to confused him more, aside from being called a kid, she was talking about the fruit and brought up some woman named Minx who was...'really good with her hands'.
He supposed she was able to mix the tea well with the right ingredients, he did find if two people used chamomile in tea depending on who makes it the taste could differ greatly, this Minx must be skilled in the process which only made him want to see this place even more.
All these thoughts faded however as Ming grabbed his hand, which Yun had to use every ounce of willpower in his body not to quickly snatch his hand away at the rough touch, his eyes twitching as the distance he put between them was destroyed in a moment.
He wanted to scream, lash out, and ask her to let go...however his mouth remained shut as he soon realized he wasn't paying attention to where she was pulling him...which meant he was even more lost and judging by the looks of some of the people in a place he didn't want to be lost in.
He hated this but this girl knew how to reach the Red Orchid, he just had to endure this until they got there, he tried to focus his thoughts on other things, but with the firm grasp she had of his hand it was extremely hard to ignore which only made the growing uncomfortable feeling worse.

When they finally reached the place Yun held his wrist staring at his hand for a moment, he wondered if she'd be offended if he put it in the dirty puddle that was nearby to try and wash the feeling away.
Shaking his head he looked back at it lowering his arms to his side as he looked at the building as she mentioned they were there.
Yun blinked a few times tilting his head slightly as he stared at the Red Orchid, it seemed normal enough at least so he saw no harm in going inside.
His gaze landed on an older man once he entered sitting at one of the tables and a small relieved sigh came from him, at the very least he wouldn't be in here alone and the guy looked normal enough, muscular but nothing like the guys he ran into earlier.
He took a seat at one of the far tables at the edge of the Red Orchid away from everything, shifting in the chair a little as he rested his hands on the table, he wasn't sure what the song was playing but he tapped his finger too it finding it catchy his head moving back and forth slightly.
This place had a nice atmosphere about it, different then other tea-houses he visited but still welcoming...maybe a bit too welcoming.
His gaze moved over to the garment of the women in the establishment, his eyebrows twitched seeing how short their skirts were and how much skin was showing on each of them, he figured it was a way to bring customers in and seemed to be working at least.
He still found this was starting to become torture with how many were dressed this way but as long as he didn't look he'd be fine.
He told himself this especially when a child messed with the woman's skirt causing him to quickly avert his eyes to avoid seeing what was underneath.

Yun admitted he wasn't sure what to really think about this place, it didn't seem bad the older woman even said the girls were clean and healthy which was a good thing since they handled food and drink, cleanliness was an important quality when serving.
Deciding he may as well get what he came for Yun raised his hand and politely asked for a cup of ginseng tea from one of the girls, reaching into his sleeve the only safe place he could keep his money, he pulled out a gold coin before handing it to her as a tip rested his hands back on the table.
Once he received his tea he offered a small nod to her before taking a small sip, his eyes widening as he lowered the cup from his mouth.
"This is delicious, is this the work of Minx?" Yun said before taking another sip. "She really is good at this."

Yun took his time with the tea in his hand wanting to savor this moment, he had come to a new city, found a wonderful tea-house and aside from getting chased his day was actually going extremely well. Moments like this made traveling worth it, even with all the hardships that came with the territory.
His gaze moved over to the older man as he went to talk the older woman, whose name appeared to be Big Bo.
He wasn't too interested in their conversation up until he commented on Ming's chest and made a very provocative statement, the girl whose name was Ming seemed about ready to tear into the guy...until a brick came flying out of the wall and slammed into her.
Seeing that Yun promptly turned his attention fully back to his cup, his hand started shaking slightly and he gripped it to steady his shivering.
That was Earthbending right...Earthbending hurt since it was the earth flying at someone...he needed to make sure not to get on the bad side of this Big Bo he didn't like the idea of bricks flying at his head.
What she said next however destroyed his fear of being on the wrong end of her bending, when the word 'sale' came from her the little alarm bells going off in his head grew extremely loud.
He closed his eyes and brought the tea to his mouth deciding to just ignore it, finish his tea and leave here as soon as possible not wanting to know what she meant by that.
However Ming herself answered the very question he wanted to ignore, she said the word 'sex' and Yun hunched forward choking on his tea as he pat his chest trying to recover.
Everything in Yun's mind clicked at once and he realized where exactly he was at, and he was not pleased at this development especially with all the warning signs that he now understood.
"No..no no no.....a brothel...I'm in a brothel of all things! Okay stay calm...stay calm...I'll just finish this tea...and leave...no big deal..."
Painful as it was to sit in a place of ill respite surrounded by the very thing he was trying to avoid this tea...was delicious and he was torn at finishing it and running away, that and he feared the pain that might follow if he made himself look suspicious.
The longer he sat there however the longer he realized this place really as a brothel, not that he doubted it after what he heard but seeing the evidence first hand was...more than enough.
He finished his tea, which had grown cold by now, just as Ming was hurling the drunken man out of the Red Orchid and looked up at her as she approached.
"Huh...oh yeah I'm great. I-I love brothels!"
Yun stared at Ming a small 'ah' escaping from him as he realized what had just come out of his mouth.
He cleared his throat and lowered his gaze to the table gripping the tea cup with both hands as slight tint of red flowed into his cheeks.
"Okay...I'm willing to admit I misunderstood where exactly i was going," Yun said looking back up at her keeping his voice low. "The guy told me it was a 'tea-house' I didn't know it was some weird hint at a brothel. He could have just said it was and kept this situation from happening."
He made sure to enunciate it the same way the man had before continuing.
"Look I really thought it was a tea-house and your tea is quite delicious, if not for me realizing where I was definitely would have enjoyed more of it. I didn't mean to walk into your brothel...I mean I've passed a few in my travels, heard of them too never went in though. There's...there's not some custom where If I walk in I have to buy...uh...time with one of the girls right?"
He pointed over in the direction of one at this his face clearly showing he didn't like the idea, his eyebrows arched and a bit of worry and fear in his eyes at the idea of going near one much less any kind of intimacy.
"I would have run away earlier but I didn't want that Big Bo lady to think I was skipping out and have a brick hurled at my skull. That and those people who looked at us on the way here, I'm tired of being chased by people. I just want to order some more tea, because it is pretty delicious and I did enjoy it, then leave and find a place to sleep even if it's in an alley. I don't want any women or anything...or men if those are here not sure how this place works."
Yun let out a long sigh and released the tea cup having calm down just a little.
"I still need directions too...I'm stuck until I figure that out."
(@Superpiggeh)

She knew it! She knew he wasn't the type. Ming had seen enough tourists to figure this one out, and she had a particular liking to the way Yun was a complete opposite of herself. She was going to say something, but the other man sat himself down - did he have to be such an insufferable customer? - And asked Yun where he was headed, after complimenting the tea. Ming's eyes narrowed bitterly. If she couldn't rip a hole in his stomach, she'd rip a hole in his wallet...Ming called out, in pseudo-cheeriness, "Oh, you like the tea? I'll get you some more, sir."

She disappeared past the linen curtain and into the kitchens. They were a steamy, cramped affair of a room and full of murky shapes bustling in and out, brewing tea and making food. Sure, the work-surfaces were a touch grimy, but at least they were getting cleaned regularly by some of the grimy pre-teens weaving in and out of the masses of women. For a Downtown establishment, it was certainly on the top ten cleanest places. Ming swung her arm, a section of the wall jutting out (with a little yelp of surprise from one of the staff) to push down a glass jar of dried red orchid leaves.

Red Orchid Tea: The most expensive and iconic tea in the Red Orchid teahouse, it has a sweet, fruity flavour which is usually balanced off with a spicy kick of ginger. The tea-leaves, when chewed from the bottom of the cup, are said to give the consumer extra vitality and energy.
Minx Xiang has tried this trick many times before. She brewed the tea in a larger tea-pot and used some of the fancy cups too, in the hopes Shen will drop one of them at some point and have to pay for that as well. Whilst the tea was brewing, a young woman, no older than she, grabbed Ming's wrist and dragged her outside - past the customers, and past an uninterested Big Bo - into the alleyway.

There were raised voices. There was a crash, and then for a few moments a silence. The younger woman went back in and turned to Big Bo angrily. "Why didn't you tell me she wanted to leave the City?! God damn, she has a duty here looking after the kids!"

Big Bo leaned forward, but already the customers and the working girls and the children held their breath, all of them clearly very curious. Her voice almost echoed in the tense silence. "You don't think Ming knows that? Listen, between you and me, she'll never make it out. She just doesn't have the coin or the supplies to do it. Just let her dream - she'll run off for a couple weeks and come back, starving, cold and sick."

The young woman slammed her fist on the reception desk angrily. "You're just going to let her throw her life away like that then, huh? You and I both know if she gets ill we can't pay for medicine. There's a lot of kids out there who need her help and you know it!"

Big Bo chuckled. "Really?" she replied, ruffling the younger woman's hair. "I think they might look up to you just as much as they look up to her these days, Sian. You've certainly got quite a lot of Ming's...Ming-ness in you from her lessons. I have no doubt you can run your little 'gang' easily enough."

Ming chose that moment to enter again, with a black eye. She rubs her hands together from the cold, grinning mischievously. "Shut up, Sian, I can hear your screeching from miles away. You know I want to bolt it from here, everyone in the whole gang knew I was going to make a runner sooner or later, but you're the only idiot who tried to stop me. In case you haven't noticed, I'm nowhere near being able to rush off and when I do, I'll say goodbye to you lot. But Bo's right, you can probably manage it." replied Ming dismissively as she disappeared behind the linen curtain. Muttering angrily to herself, Sian followed. Big Bo called out to her not to fight in the kitchen, and then sunk down a little, rubbing her temples.

"Ugh, -children-..." she groaned theatrically, rolling her eyes and shooting a smile to the assembled customers. "Back to business, eh?"

Ming returned a few minutes later, setting down an expensive tea-pot of Red Orchid tea for Shen and Yun. "There you go, sir, more tea for you." she addressed to Shen specifically, peering down at Yun anxiously. "I'm sorry kid, but I don't think someone like you should be going outside at this time of night. Not out here, anyway...tell you what, you pay for a room with the girls, and I'll explain to her that you don't want any, uh, services. Trust me, quite a lot of them don't even want to do what they're doing. They'll leave you alone for the most part."

She kept looking over at the door wistfully, propped up against the wall beside the table. Most of the customers were drifting away upstairs, so business in the tea-house part was slowing down. Ming herself seemed somewhat restless, she regularly removed herself from her spot in the wall to clean the tables repeatedly, dust off the ornaments, fix paintings, only to return to the same spot to snatch some conversation.

@Mizos @RainyDays

Shen could already sense the malice in her words as she latched on to his comment about the tea. He shrugged to Yun as he chuckled. "You boy, seriously! Didn't you see the working ladies outside? Ordinary tea houses don't usually have ladies this pretty," he said, emphasizing the latter two words loudly to the working girls that walked by. They laughed sultrily and considered approaching but Shen waved them off. "Now, don't let me stop you if that's what you came in for." He doubted it, but with the way events were playing out, he wouldn't be surprised if he dropped a bombshell. Otherwise, he would relish seeing his flustered response. He took another sip from his tea when one of the working girls stormed with Ming past them outside the teahouse. The working girl was quick to return, going to Big Bo.

Turning to Yun, Shen grinned," Oh, today has been so entertaining! Here, a toast, shall we?" He lightly knocked his cup against Yun's producing an audible clink before he finished his tea. The exchange between Big Bo and the young woman continued, while Shen refilled his cup with a pot of tea from the next table of unsuspecting customers too engrossed in the drama - his own tea pot was already cleared out since he was no longer sitting there. However, Shen's smile was slowly creeping out of his face as he listened on. He had expected some manner of conflict of a more mercenary sort. Like that of wages too low for her liking, or perhaps something more idealistic and naive, like that she wanted to do something more upstanding.

... Not this. Shen quietly sipped from his cup. This tea tasted too bitter. Ming returned not too long after, joining the conversation. However, Shen was no longer enjoying it as he was earlier. "Urgh, that was... Urgh," was all he could say to Yun as he gripped his tea cup. The conversation between the three slowly drew to a close with Ming and the young lady, Sian, as she was apparently called, returned into the kitchen behind the linen curtains. Big Bo's words to the customers brought back the chatter into the previously silent tea house. From all around, Shen could hear them wondering aloud about the events that just transpired. No one understood it much and before long, they were on to their miscellaneous conversation.

Ming returned with the tea. Shen threw it a small glance, feeling the pain in his heart - from both sympathy and the gross expenditure he just got himself into, perhaps more the latter. Nevertheless, he made no comment on it, or at Ming's suggestion. When she was done talking, she returned to her duties, leaving Shen and Yun. "Oh boy, we haven't introduced, have we," Shen said, suddenly realizing the fact.

"Look, boy, I'm Shen Rong. Some have taken to calling me 'Two-faced Shen' so you might know me by that. But hey, you can call me Shen."

Shen grudgingly drank his tea. Were it not for the cost, he would never have bothered to drink it. He liked tea but there were some, like this one that just baffled him. He offered some to Yun," Here, please drink some. Priciest tea in the house, it's got to be worth something, eh?"

He shot Ming a quick glare. Then an idea struck him. "Ah, come over here, will you," he said, guffawing.

"How about this, I'm sure everyone can't help but overhear your... Rather subtle exchange earlier. But I am a tourist after all, I could certainly use a good service. And you're obliged to help me in a kind and courteous manner, yes? Show me around town and I will give you the rest of my money. It should be enough to buy you your freedom."

He paused once more, then added," There's a catch, though, of course, besides your clearly obligated service. I teach earth bending and martial arts... And I'm looking for students. S-so. Uh, yeah, you'll be my student."

The idea sounded good in thought, less so when he said it aloud. Which master pays his students to be students; Shen was beating himself mentally over his 'catch'. He composed himself as he continued.

"In any case, I know you don't do that sort of service. You have my word that I won't ask for it... Not that I will anyway, at that size."

A sly grin was already on Shen's face as he prepared himself to meet whatever Ming had for him. He had no doubt he will be able to deal with whatever she had. More importantly, perhaps was for him to prove himself as a worthy master - though he hoped his visibly muscular form would be evidence enough.

Jinhai Su, peru
"If you are going to complain about the beer then don't drink it." Jinhai's figure loomed over the table of Shun Min. Even though the man sitting at the table was two years older than the barowner himself, Jinhai was definitely taller and more muscular looking. Shun was just a freaking scrawny guy. And yet the two had met in the fighting ring where despite his appearance Shun could hold his own. He couldn't beat Jinhai though. Never had, never would, that much the younger knew for sure. He regarded the man before him, who was stroking his beard. An annoying habit of him if you asked Jinhai. But no one did, so he didn't talk about it either. What their exact relationship was Jinhai didn't know. They knew each other, quite well in some ways and yet on the other hand Jinhai was completely clueless as to what the man did most of his days. He just dropped by on occasion when he felt like fighting. One could call them friends, but Jinhai wasn't sure if he should use that term. At least they could get along.

"We got the usual rounds going on in the back," he said never the less to Shun. "I'll get your name on the list and the bets. Give me your money and you can get your ass over there." Jinhai gestured to a door on the otherside of the main entrance that led to the fighting arena before turning back to Shun. "Tell you what, I'll give you a brandy if you make it out without a scratch. You used to make me some good money after all." He gave the man before him a sly smile before turning around and walking back to the counter. He dropped off some glasses and grabbed his notebook that lay behind the bar. Quickly he jotted down Shun's name and the bets he wanted to place. Hopefully Shun could make him some good money today as well.

Shun Min, orange
Shun showed a dirty grin to the taller guy, and shoved him a pouch of money. That offer of Jinhai looked really, really attractive. Free brandy if he didn't get hit. Too hard at least. Or that was what Shun'd make of it should he get hit after all. Standing up from his table and pushing the pint into someone else's hands, he rubbed his hands together and cracked his neck, two other old habits.

"Let's get started then!"

The opponent in front of him looked pretty damn strong. A ripped guy of about 1.90 meters to Shun's best estimates with arms as if he could toss a bear over a house with ease. His grin grew wider as he rubbed his hands together like a madman while cracking his neck. Shun was a good fighter, not a great one, but a good one. His greatest asset wasn't his physique unlike the guy in front of him, but his experience and his knowledge. Two things he used to the fullest in any fight. Even though his opponent looked mighty impressive, it was the young man on the other side of the ring that involuntarily made half of a little step backwards as he saw his opponent, and not Shun. There, the first victory of today.

As the referee, as far as you could call the bell a referee, sounded the beginning of the match, Shun waited. He stared at his opponent, and started spinning around the arena as his opponent copied his movements. There used to be a broken spotlight in the South Eastern corner that flickered on and off and was perfect for distracting an opponent, but alas, that bastard Jinhai had fixed it. Woah! Zooming to the right as his opponent charged him, he avoided a bear hug that could crush the average fridge into a beer can. His opponent turned around just in time to parry two quick jabs from Shun before he retreated to the other side of the ring again. His opponent was faster than he was, and a lot stronger too. His quick reactions and his opponent's initial underestimation of his speed despite his scrawny appearance were his only advantages untill now. And his opponent regained some confidence. Time to change that.

"What the flying f*ck is that?" He said, pointing at some guy pulking in his nose in the back of the room, dropping his fighting stance. His opponent, thrown off guard entirely as even the public threw a glance in the poor nosedigger's direction. Shun in the meantime stormed forwards and gave a nasty kick into the side of his opponent's knee along with a knuckle-punch in his ribs before he received any resistance of note. He easily ducked under a wild hook punch and gave another mean kick into the guy's knee, and as he sank through that leg, rammed his own knee in the guy's sternum. As the giant fell on his back, rasping for breath like a beached whale, Shun gave a final punch in the guy's stomach before walking away. That had gone pretty well. Feeling beyond euforic because he was going to get free brandy he walked out of the ring. He waved his fists in the air to help ignore the pain of his bleeding knuckles, and suddenly realized that he indeed suffered a single scratch.

He looked at his left fist and cursed out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fieryfly
Hearing the man's laughter he just laid his head down on the table a heavy sigh escaping from him, he blamed himself for coming into the place and not realizing what it was. Now it was pretty obvious he wasn't used to places like this which just meant he should get directions, finish his tea and run as fast as possible out of there. At least that was his intention before the older man sat down at his table, the one he swore had laughed at him, before asking where he was going.
"Omashu," Yun said narrowing his gaze a little. "Never heard of it, if it's the closest place then yeah that's where I'm going. I don't really have a destination."
He lifted his body sitting straight up in his seat once again before looking down at his empty tea cup, his eyes moving over to Ming as she walked away to get some more tea, his body seemed to relax a little once she walked away and he looked back at Shen.
"Yes the tea here is quite delicious," he said.

When Shen spoke again mentioning the ladies of the establishment Yun just lowered his gaze shutting his eyes, he was already ashamed of himself, having something he clearly missed pointed out didn't help him, especially the comment about him actually participating in the purpose of this establishment.
"I just thought it was some way to draw in customers," Yun said looking up at him. "Also I-I don't want to lay with anyone, not now nor in the near future. Once I pay for my tea I'm getting out of here...as fast as possible."
Hearing the what he assumed was an argument Yun glanced in the direction of the dispute that happened only to look back at his cup deciding not to eavesdrop on it, though it was hard not to with how loud they were being, he was uncomfortable listening to it but Shen seemed just fine even knocking their cups together.
He questioned how he was enjoying this but didn't say anything only watching his own cup, though he did look up as he drank the other's tea, he decided to take his word on it's bitterness only looking back up when Ming returned, mostly to measure the distance between them once again.
Listening to her his eyes slowly started to widen as she explained the dangers of outside and one of his options, one he didn't especially favor but remembering not only the people who chased him but the glares they got on the way here he couldn't really deny the danger out there.
"Hey wait what do you mean 'for the most part'?"
His question fell on deaf ears however as Ming was already gone before he could get the words out.
Yun's gaze returned to Shen as she spoke to him once again, their conversation was the closet thing he had to a distraction so he decided to just accept it and speak with the older man.
Also he was introducing himself and he figured it'd be rude to stay silent at that.
"Yun Hui," Yun said reaching forward to accept his offer of tea. "I don't really have a title or anything so Yun's fine."
He took a drink of the tea his eyebrow arching at the taste for a moment, he blinked a few times and took another sip, he felt a bit of his energy come back and it had a strange taste to it.
Though he was sure he wasn't going to get expensive tea again anytime soon so he was going to take advantage of this opportunity.

Yun listened to the two's conversation and from what it seemed Shen was going to help Ming with her desire to leave this place, he drank his tea surprised to see him willing to be so kind to her, especially after that exchange earlier. He started to wonder if it was out of the kindness of his heart but when he mentioned a catch Yun shrugged not surprise to hear he wanted something in exchange.
However what he asked caused Yun to almost choke on his tea again.
"EarthBending, this guy's one too?! Is this entire place filled with them?" Yun thought glancing at Shen.
He lowered his cup not about to let this opportunity pass.
"H-hold on a second I can barely make it around this place as is," Yun said holding his hand up slightly. "It's also thanks to you I found this place...which I'm not sure whether to thank or hate you for but that's another matter. You know your way around this area and I'd rather not get attacked again since I have no idea where I am. I more than likely can't pay as much as Shen here especially since I have to buy a room..."
Yun trailed off at that point taking a moment to compose himself before he continued.
"I'd give you all I can and I'd appreciate the help and at the very least I'd owe you...not really counting being lead here on that list. Anyway you can count on Yun Hui to keep his promises...most of the time. Just let me come along with you two. I'm practically begging here I'm an easier target alone."

@Mizos @RainyDays

Shen could already sense the malice in her words as she latched on to his comment about the tea. He shrugged to Yun as he chuckled. "You boy, seriously! Didn't you see the working ladies outside? Ordinary tea houses don't usually have ladies this pretty," he said, emphasizing the latter two words loudly to the working girls that walked by. They laughed sultrily and considered approaching but Shen waved them off. "Now, don't let me stop you if that's what you came in for." He doubted it, but with the way events were playing out, he wouldn't be surprised if he dropped a bombshell. Otherwise, he would relish seeing his flustered response. He took another sip from his tea when one of the working girls stormed with Ming past them outside the teahouse. The working girl was quick to return, going to Big Bo.

Turning to Yun, Shen grinned," Oh, today has been so entertaining! Here, a toast, shall we?" He lightly knocked his cup against Yun's producing an audible clink before he finished his tea. The exchange between Big Bo and the young woman continued, while Shen refilled his cup with a pot of tea from the next table of unsuspecting customers too engrossed in the drama - his own tea pot was already cleared out since he was no longer sitting there. However, Shen's smile was slowly creeping out of his face as he listened on. He had expected some manner of conflict of a more mercenary sort. Like that of wages too low for her liking, or perhaps something more idealistic and naive, like that she wanted to do something more upstanding.

... Not this. Shen quietly sipped from his cup. This tea tasted too bitter. Ming returned not too long after, joining the conversation. However, Shen was no longer enjoying it as he was earlier. "Urgh, that was... Urgh," was all he could say to Yun as he gripped his tea cup. The conversation between the three slowly drew to a close with Ming and the young lady, Sian, as she was apparently called, returned into the kitchen behind the linen curtains. Big Bo's words to the customers brought back the chatter into the previously silent tea house. From all around, Shen could hear them wondering aloud about the events that just transpired. No one understood it much and before long, they were on to their miscellaneous conversation.

Ming returned with the tea. Shen threw it a small glance, feeling the pain in his heart - from both sympathy and the gross expenditure he just got himself into, perhaps more the latter. Nevertheless, he made no comment on it, or at Ming's suggestion. When she was done talking, she returned to her duties, leaving Shen and Yun. "Oh boy, we haven't introduced, have we," Shen said, suddenly realizing the fact.

"Look, boy, I'm Shen Rong. Some have taken to calling me 'Two-faced Shen' so you might know me by that. But hey, you can call me Shen."

Shen grudgingly drank his tea. Were it not for the cost, he would never have bothered to drink it. He liked tea but there were some, like this one that just baffled him. He offered some to Yun," Here, please drink some. Priciest tea in the house, it's got to be worth something, eh?"

He shot Ming a quick glare. Then an idea struck him. "Ah, come over here, will you," he said, guffawing.

"How about this, I'm sure everyone can't help but overhear your... Rather subtle exchange earlier. But I am a tourist after all, I could certainly use a good service. And you're obliged to help me in a kind and courteous manner, yes? Show me around town and I will give you the rest of my money. It should be enough to buy you your freedom."

He paused once more, then added," There's a catch, though, of course, besides your clearly obligated service. I teach earth bending and martial arts... And I'm looking for students. S-so. Uh, yeah, you'll be my student."

The idea sounded good in thought, less so when he said it aloud. Which master pays his students to be students; Shen was beating himself mentally over his 'catch'. He composed himself as he continued.

"In any case, I know you don't do that sort of service. You have my word that I won't ask for it... Not that I will anyway, at that size."

A sly grin was already on Shen's face as he prepared himself to meet whatever Ming had for him. He had no doubt he will be able to deal with whatever she had. More importantly, perhaps was for him to prove himself as a worthy master - though he hoped his visibly muscular form would be evidence enough.
(@Mizos)
Ming usually didn't do as she was told, but when she was told to move over there, she did exactly that. It was one of the few times when she would actually follow orders; under the looming, watchful eye of Big Bo. She peered down at Shen as he made her a deal; a tour for her freedom - but her eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Her eyes narrowed even further when Shen explained to her the catch of the situation. Who did he think she was, an idiot? To Ming, all Shen was saying happened to be 'Follow me into a dark alleyway so I can either kidnap you, or steal or your stuff. And here's the catch - even if it was a real deal, you'd have to follow my every order!'

Ming snorted, rolling her eyes. "I'm sorry, but you've got to consider how this sounds from the viewpoint of the 18 year old girl you're trying to lure out into the dark, dangerous streets at night." she snapped angrily. Big Bo sighed, rubbing at her temples again in exasperation as she went into the kitchens. "Do you know how many times some drunk nobody tried to ensure my safety out of the city walls? Even if you were being honest, do you get how the city works?"

Ming approached, however, and arranged 4 tea-cups in a line. Shen's full teacup at one end, an empty one at the other. "Right, look at it this way. That's the industrial district, it's the heart of the city." Ming grunted, pointing towards the full teacup. "That's the bit with the most people, it's the bit with the most crime because the security system doesn't have enough manpower to keep us all in check."

"Downtown District," explained Ming, whilst throwing a glance to Yun with genuine concern for reasons yet unknown, "is probably more dangerous than the industrial district because here you have to have at least a little bit of discretion when you go around beating people with a rock. It's the second layer around this city, it's closer in, and it's walled off by the markets - which I've no doubt you've both seen - and that's where security starts getting tight. I've lost a bunch of good friends in those tents, either dragged off to jail or otherwise."

Ming points to the empty teacup, with the dribble of tea sitting at the bottom. "The embassies lie around the edges of the city. This is where the trouble gets very real for me. I'm not saying what, but I have a criminal record - as do most people in here - that could easily land me a few long years in a prison cell somewhere."

Ming straightened up, peering down at Shen angrily. "I managed to get out there twice, and both times I had to leave everything - including my guide - and bolt it back to this tea-house with a broken arm or something. So I see no possible way how a douc-"

Ming was cut off as she peered at the once-coughing Yun with surprise, her glare softening as he pleaded the duo to take him with them. My god, he really has no-one... thought Ming in shock. She glanced up at the stairs, and at all the children she managed to save. Sian and Big Bo were leaning at the doorway of the kitchen, watching the whole ordeal, unimpressed. "Well if you're going to make a runner, Ming, I'd suggest you do it whilst I'm still in favour of it. Or I'll rush after you and kick your bloody teeth in." threatened Sian, pulling a grin.

Ming looked down at Yun and then at Shen. She crouched down, lowering her voice to barely a whisper as she looked the muscular man dead in the eye. "If I'm going to do this, I want to bring Yun, and someone else. I refuse to be left alone with -you-." she muttered menacingly, rising up to her full height. "Let's get moving then, people, you'll get a quick tour from Downtown to the Embassies and if you somehow manage to smuggle me out of there, consider me your student!"

Ming started for the door, but she couldn't help but glance back at her entire family. She's tried this before, admittedly, and every time there was a teary goodbye Ming ended up being dragged back, ashamed of ever leaving them. They'll be fine. They'll be fine. Ming raised a hand in farewell and quickly kicked the door open to leave, her eyes watering; she didn't want Shen or Yun to see her like this.

Ming peered down the dark, cramped street. There were a few working girls floating around the area who waved cheerily to her and Shen, but she could tell a mugging-to-be when she saw one...some of the lights in houses weren't even on. "Stick close to me. Our first destination is the Blue Box - I think you might like it there."

Mei and Luca - Northern Water Tribe

Luca was half done gazing at the marvellous square when he noticed an old tavern standing out at the side. A smile appeared on his lips as he set his course in that direction. As he walked in, the environment changed from the pleasantly lit open area to a small, moodily lit yet cheerful small building. He looked around to see all kinds of people eating and drinking. Finally, he walked to the counter.

Settling down on a chair, Mei looked around. The place wasn't that bad. It wasn't the best tavern, but the price wasn't one that would hurt pocket. At least not too much. Just having ordered some meal, Mei was already considering what she would do while being up so high in the north. It was kind of exicting, but she had expected to be less, civilized. More like, people living in iglo's and such. It was really how Mei thought it was going to be, not much like the city that she was in now. Seeing somebody entering the building, she eyed him. Though not sure, she suspected him to be like her. A foreigner.

The boy pulled out his wallet and thanked the man as he exchanged the money for a pair of keys for the cozy little room he'd just rented. He turned around and took a deep breath to take it all in. His sister had advised him to use this trip as an opportunity, since there would be many people to meet, so he, for that moment, decided to try and follow her advice. The boy scanned the room, noticing a girl, seemingly more or less his age, dressed in a fashion that was estranged to him. He rolled his eyes up and thought for a moment before smiling and waltzing over. "Hi!" he said, quite awkwardly.

Blinking rapidly, Mei wasn't sure if he was talking to her. She had looked away just for one moment. One brief moment. And now he approached her? Though she looked surprised, her expression quickly shifted to a neutral smile. "Hi." Realizing she had to say something or else there would be an awkwards silence, she nodded towards the other chair at the table. "If you want to join me, you're free to do so." Mei told him. She wasn't sure if she could already introduce herself. Perhaps the other person was just trying to ask if he could have the chair or something.

Well, that went smoothely, Luca thought. He wasn't too experienced with making friends with strangers off the bat, so this was a good start. "Oh... Sorry, where are my manners..." He held out his hand for a shake. "My name's Luca." He felt quite upbeat, what with the successful acquainting with a stranger. And she shook his hand, while saying her own name. "Mei. Nice to meet you Luca." She responded. "Are you new here as well or?" Not really finishing her question, Mei hoped to stay a sort of still polite. She wasn't sure if it was okay to start throwing questions at Luca yet. And where was her meal, she wondered.

He took the seat she'd gestured to. "Well... I haven't been here in some time but I used to live here," he answered. "It's a really nice place." He smiled subconsciously as he thought back to how he used to play out in the snow when he was younger. The stupid smirk fit the immature 5 year old he was thinking of until he realized what he was doing. "Erm... And what about you?"

That was interesting and yet disappointing. Interesting as she could perhaps ask him what she could see or do around the place. Disappointing as her skill in judging people from their appearances sucked. It was so bad that she had mistaken a native of this place for a foreigner. "Okay, promise you won't laugh?" She asked first. Waiting for a few seconds, Mei sighed and then with a big smile decided to answer his question. "I'm from the Fire Nation, wanting to just travel around. I kind of... just want to see interesting places. Silly, eh?"

"I actually understand that very well," he said, his grin widening. "I've never been to the Fire Nation though." Luca leaned back, giving her a curious look. He'd been all over the Earth Kingdom and had visited one or two Air Temples but the Fire Nation was a bit too far for him to afford a visit at the time he was away. "What's it like there?"

"Boring in my opinion." Mei shrugged. "I came from Fire Fountain City, nothing too special." She thought back briefly about her home. But Mei didn't want to think back. She wanted to make progress. She wanted to keep moving on. Thinking back would be like turning back and she wouldn't have it. There was still too much she wanted to see before she would consider to look back. "But you're a traveler as well then? Been to anywhere exciting?"

The boy thought for a moment before speaking up. "Well, I haven't been someplace that was especially exciting but..." He leaned his index finger on his lower lip. "It was quite exciting to travel alone. Especially since I used up all of my money in the first week of my travels and had to kind of... steal, a bit." He mumbled the last few words almost as if he was embarrassed but he had a wicked grin as he uttered them.

To steal? Mei wasn't really surprised. How many times had that idea came up in her head? Plenty of times. She hadn't been forced, yet to steal. And she thought yet, cause she wasn't that naive anymore. Mei wouldn't sell her body or do something like that, which disgusted her, but she had done a few crimes as well. Spying or else wounding people in exchange for some money. People always had a conflict with one another. "Money is always a pain when you don't have a real secured income. I can relate." Mei decided to say, trying to not judge Luca. If she would, it would be very hypocritical of her.

"How about you?" he asked. "Have you ever been anywhere interesting?" He felt quite interested, mostly due to her response. He was really curious about the issue. He'd already forgotten that he was trying to awkwardly make a friend, with his engagement. Mei thought about it. "Not really something I considered really interesting. Couple of small places at the shore of the Earth Country, trying to work my way up here. Think that this is the very place that´s really worth mentioning." Mei then smiled as she shrugged. "Guess I´m still kind of new to this whole traveling thing."

Luca chuckled, suppressing a louder laugh. "Well, you've gotten to the North Pole, so you must know what you're doing," he said. "It's pretty hard to get here accidentally." The boy glanced out of the window, seeing the decorations were all up. "Have you ever come here to see this festival before?"

His reply made her raise her right hand in front of her mouth to surpress a laugh. "Guess you're right." She told him, sounding amused. When he asked if she had came to see the festival, Mei shook her head. "To be honest, I wasn't even aware that there would be a festival. Though you won't hear me complaining about it. Kind of convienent as then I get to visit the city and to experience a festival." She wondered if she should tell him about what her first thoughts were about the city and culture. But remembering his origins were from this city, she decided against it. Perhaps it would only offend him?

"Oh, it's magnificent!" he exclaimed, rocking forward in his chair and leaning forward, his eyes gleaming and his smile wide as he got ready to describe the scenery. "The most beautiful northern lights appear in the sky! Different coloured sheets dancing slowly, as if they were doing a slow waltz. And the square! Thousands of people gather, lining along Pera to see it." He shot back again, bringing his hands together and raising his head, making a small and continuous sound of anticipation before turning to Mei again. "Though I guess I shouldn't spoil it too much... It oughta start soon!"

Listening to Luca, Mei noticed how she became more interested in what he had to tell her. Though she was a bit skeptical if it was truly so great as he told her, Mei couldn't resist to ponder about it. "What if we both go together then? I could use a sort of guide." She suggested. Mei would like it if she would have some pleasant company and it would be even better if that company knew at least a thing or two about the city.

Luca put his hand on his chin, looking up for a moment. He lowered it and grinned stupidly. "Sure, why not!" he exclaimed happily. "There's still quite a few things to see after the festival too in the city." He thought for a moment before speaking again. "There are some nice places outside of the city."

Great. Though Mei had still the problem of needing to think of how to gain a few job chances, she was happy she would have a sort of guide. That would make it easier to scout and explore the city and the people that lived in it, than on her own. "Good. I plan to stay around a week or so in the city. Would that be enough time to explore it or would you recommend to stay a few days longer?" Mei asked.

"Well, there's not too much to explore, to be honest," he said. "Outside of the city, it's just different ice formations. I'm planning on leaving soon after the festival. I want to go and see the Fire Nation since I've never actually been there before... Though until then, I could show you around every where around the highlights of the north pole."

Thinking about it, she had figured that outside the city it wouldn't be anything really interesting. The cold in the city was more than enough for her, thus Mei wasn't interested in an even colder wasteland. As she further thought about it, Mei was tempted to ask Luca how he was going to fund his trip to the Fire Nation, but seeing she had no answer or willing to give an answer on that in case he would ask back, she would go for another question. "How about we go and check the city after some lunch?" Her lunch still hadn't came yet, which bothered Mei a bit.

"Sounds great," he said. "We should be able to look around Pera just until the festival begins." Luca got to his feet. "When you want to go out, knock on my door," he said, pulling out his keys and looking at the numerals inscribed on the wooden keychain. "I'm in room 05. I'll see you in a bit, hm?" He flashed a smile and briefly waved before marching towards the stairs.

Just as she nodded and flashed a smile, her lunch was being brought. While Luca would go off to his room, Mei was actually glad. She didn't dislike him as he seemed to be quite friendly as interesting. But there was nothing better than to notice how plans were starting to get some good shape as some time to enjoy some lunch. Alone. Starting to enjoy the meal, Mei thought about the little problem that would rise up later. But perhaps there were some fat purses to be taken in the city? She would see.

@Mizos @RainyDays

Shen had to admit, he cared very little about the tour. He did, however, look forward to some new students... At least, in theory. He thought back to some of his past students, some of them now teachers and masters themselves. Looking back at the two, he had to wonder. A girl who had self-taught whatever she had learned, and a boy, still quite the mystery. He did, however, sense something was different about him. Shen just could not put a finger on it. It was not a negative feeling, regardless, so Shen accepted it," Ha, boy, no worries about it. Follow us as you wish."

Turning back to address Ming's concerns, he paused, realizing he had no response to that. It was fortunate that Big Bo and Sian interrupted them when they did. With that, she put forth the demand to bring Yun along with them before she got up and left. Shen hurriedly grabbed the tea pot, downing the lukewarm tea down before following after. "Bloody hell, girl, that tea ain't cheap," he hissed as he beckoned Yun after him.

Outside, the arm he raised to beckon to Yun fluidly became a playful wave at the working girls. In fact, some he actually recognized. Seeing him, their smiles became grins as they tried to curry his favor. Shen sighed," Too bad." He quickly averted his gaze before the temptation could sink in. "So, the Blue Box? Lead on, girl."

Jinhai Su, peru
Jinhai had watched Shun's battle with amusement. The guy fought as dirty as ever, something Jinhai had no trouble approving off. The fighting ring wasn't meant for fair fights. If one wanted that then they could join official fighting tournaments and have tons of rules around. The only rule in the fighitng ring here was that you didn't piss of Jinhai. That was everything because if he kicked you out, you wouldn't get back in any time soon.

Shun had come out victorious, but Jinhai had spotted the bleeding knuckles that the man was now sporting. That was too bad for him. No free brandy for Shun it was. As the two fighters left the fighting ring - Shun's opponent was dragged away by some of the fellows on the sideline - two new ones took their place. Jinhai gauged them. One was an earthbender he knew, the other a newbie. For a moment Jinhai was tempted to keep watching, but he couldn't see every battle. He had an inn to run. So he turned back and walked by the table where some of the bets were being recorded. There were two kinds of bets going on in the Blue Box. Allowing your bet to be in the book gave you a guarantee that you would get your money would you win. A part of the money, however, would go to Jinhai, as owner of the establishment. So you gave more money, but you could also earn more back. Of course, there were other bets going on between individuals, but those people didn't have to come up to him and whine if they didn't get their money. They could handle their stuff themselves.

"I guess you aren't as in shape as I thought." Jinhai said smiling as Shun neared him on his way back to the taproom. "Still, here ya go." He threw a bag of coins back to Shun. He had placed a bet after all, and he had won. "At least you earned yourself those. Care to buy a brandy?" A twinkle appeared in Jinhai's eyes as he spoke the last words.

Hearing Ming's response to Shen's suggestion his shoulders drooped seeing she wasn't exactly keen on the idea, she was the only one of the two who knew this city, without her getting around was going to be a big problem.
She only proved her knowledge when she explained Shangtan city, though he wasn't sure why she glanced at him when the downtown districts were mentioned but he remained quiet listening to her explanation of the city since he was probably going to be checking it himself.
From what she was saying he couldn't think of a place in this city that wasn't somehow dangerous, he almost got beaten up in the markets moments before and he caught that bit about her having a criminal record. He remained quiet not sure how to respond to either the information of the city or asking to accompany a criminal someplace, not because she was a criminal he was fine with that part just that guards tended to judge harshly if someone stood within a few feet of one.

He wasn't sure what to do when he interrupted her...especially when she decided to go with Shen asking he come along with another person joining them.
Yun started to wonder if he should thank Sian for saying something, they were just arguing moments before after all and now she was being very accepting.
A small smile formed on Yun's face as he was way more relieved knowing Ming was going to be guiding them, however the smile faded as soon as it came when she mentioned a quick tour of downtown.
"Do...do we really have to go through downtown," Yun said watching as Ming headed towards the door. "Wasn't it the most dangerous place...aw man."
He didn't stand up until Shen headed toward the door beckoning him along, mostly because he saw Ming hesitate for a moment but it seemed she really was going to run away and Yun wasn't going to pass up leaving this place...though it was just going towards a more dangerous place.
"I went into a brothel and now I'm accompanying a venture to smuggle someone out of the city. I miss when my biggest problem was figuring out what to eat."
Yun put a piece of gold on the table before turning towards Big bo and Sian offered a small bow to them.
"Um...thank you" he said before following after the two.
Once he was outside he rested his hands on his knees a long relieved sigh coming from him glad to be outside, even if it was dangerous before he straightened his body.
"Okay...so this blue box...it's...it's not another brothel right? If not please go ahead um...Ming."

Hearing Ming's response to Shen's suggestion his shoulders drooped seeing she wasn't exactly keen on the idea, she was the only one of the two who knew this city, without her getting around was going to be a big problem.
She only proved her knowledge when she explained Shangtan city, though he wasn't sure why she glanced at him when the downtown districts were mentioned but he remained quiet listening to her explanation of the city since he was probably going to be checking it himself.
From what she was saying he couldn't think of a place in this city that wasn't somehow dangerous, he almost got beaten up in the markets moments before and he caught that bit about her having a criminal record. He remained quiet not sure how to respond to either the information of the city or asking to accompany a criminal someplace, not because she was a criminal he was fine with that part just that guards tended to judge harshly if someone stood within a few feet of one.

He wasn't sure what to do when he interrupted her...especially when she decided to go with Shen asking he come along with another person joining them.
Yun started to wonder if he should thank Sian for saying something, they were just arguing moments before after all and now she was being very accepting.
A small smile formed on Yun's face as he was way more relieved knowing Ming was going to be guiding them, however the smile faded as soon as it came when she mentioned a quick tour of downtown.
"Do...do we really have to go through downtown," Yun said watching as Ming headed towards the door. "Wasn't it the most dangerous place...aw man."
He didn't stand up until Shen headed toward the door beckoning him along, mostly because he saw Ming hesitate for a moment but it seemed she really was going to run away and Yun wasn't going to pass up leaving this place...though it was just going towards a more dangerous place.
"I went into a brothel and now I'm accompanying a venture to smuggle someone out of the city. I miss when my biggest problem was figuring out what to eat."
Yun put a piece of gold on the table before turning towards Big bo and Sian offered a small bow to them.
"Um...thank you" he said before following after the two.
Once he was outside he rested his hands on his knees a long relieved sigh coming from him glad to be outside, even if it was dangerous before he straightened his body.
"Okay...so this blue box...it's...it's not another brothel right? If not please go ahead um...Ming."
(@Superpiggeh, @Fieryfly)

Ming took it slowly and carefully, staying close to Yun whilst letting him keep his personal space. Ming had seen these types before; the boy was an introvert. He didn't like...people, in general, being around them would end up wearing him down too much and Ming had a faint idea that perhaps the events of the evening might be a bit much for him to handle. She didn't say a word during her little tour of the Downtown district, aside from "Never go down that alley" every so often, and "We think there's a serial killer who lurks around that flat so I wouldn't go near it." after passing a run-down block of apartments with smashed and boarded-up windows. She knew that her company didn't care much for the tour - Shen was in it for...well, the prize, and Ming hadn't a clue what he wanted with her, but she felt it wasn't going to be 'student-teacher' based.

Even the thought of that made Ming pretty nervous, so she wanted to recruit her back-up as soon as was physically possible. After a while, her hammering heart settled down as she noticed a mouldy old fence, a crowd of drunks, and the sound of fighting. Her face lit up and she glanced over at Yun again. "Stick close," she ordered firmly. "If you thought the Orchid was bad, you're in for a shock."

Ming opened the door (with her foot, she has a habit of kicking doors open) and made -certain- Yun was in her sights before entering. "Jinhai! JIIIINHAIIII!" she hollered happily. At once, Ming noticed the usual sights - the fighting ring was just visible under the pressed crowd of sweaty shritless bodies, body hair, booze and bad tattoos. Those not interested in beating faces were pressed around it with cups of bad beer sloshing down their arms; the night was young, and Ming presumed that they'd start roaring and stamping their feet when they get too into the fights.

Jinhai wasn't really that hard to spot, he was one of the tallest and broadest people there and actually looked like a true fighter. His dark brown eyes only helped to make him look intimidating in the half-light of the sleazy bar, as he was offering a jug of brandy to some fighter that Ming neither knew nor particularly cared for. Ming flashed a warm smile at Yun, beckoning him over, and shot a glare at Shen that clearly gave him permission to approach too, rather begrudgingly. She made her way to the bar itself and pulled herself up into one of the tall barstools, sitting cross-legged on the worn-down cushion.

Ming seemed to change in demeanour around the big man. She wasn't as cold and lofty, her over-confidence tamed by Jinhai's presence alone. Ming certainly held an affection for the man that wasn't romantic in nature at all; she seemed to genuinely (and literally) look up to him for advise. "Hey, uh, Jinhai...I-...Damnit, can we talk somewhere private? This is pretty big, and I need your help on this." she asked meekly, peering over her shoulder at Shen and Yun. "I fully expect you to keep Yun safe whilst I'm gone, mister, else you'll have to answer to me -and- him." snapped Ming, jerking a thumb to Jinhai. Once she had finished giving orders, she slipped off the barstool to allow Jinhai to lead the way.

Reactions: Fieryfly
Shun Min, orange
He sent Jinhai a dirty frown as he slammed a coin on the table hard enough toleave an impression of the coin in the beer-soaked wood. He took the brandy from Jinhai's hands and filled a cup with it and sent another dirty glare at the man. "I hope you buy a chicken with that and choke on it." He said, before grinning and emptying a first cup. Ah, brandy. The cheap, poisonous and dirty liquid that was perfectly made for him by whatever Gods to soothe his bleeding knuckles after a fight.

Suddenly however a random scantily clad lady stormed in and took Jinhai for herself. His not-quite-renowned but certainly very dirty glare now found a new victim in the newcomer. She just stormed in and demanded Jinhai's attention from all other customers, regardless of what he was doing. That wasn't just unmannered, it was bloody annoying aswell. Perhaps the young lady needed some re-education?

"What the bloody hell's wrong with you, lass? Can't you see there's adults talking here?" He said on a sneering tone to the hyper-active whore. She seemedto be accompagnied by an old man looking as sturdy as the guy he just fought, and a younger guy who seemed like he would bend as a leaf if he'd have to fight. He didn't expect much of the younger guy, he looked as meek as a dead dog, but the older guy could've at least tried to keep this thing under control.

Jinhai Su, peru
It was too easy to draw a good reaction from Shun. The unfortunate coin that was met with his aggression was only prove of that. Jinhai pocketed it and removed the brandy from Shun's sight. The man would just keep drinking if he got the chance. "All the money you make me can get me at least five chickens. So thank you for that." Jinhai enjoyed the bantering that went on between the two of them. It was often mean, but never harsh. Jests, they both understood that.

He was about to make another remark when the door of the bar opened again and a, to Jinhai, familiar voice echoed through the place. He looked up, easily looking over most of the crowd, to spot the figure of the young woman he knew by the name of Ming. He shook his head, but smiled slightly. She still made the same entrance as always. Somehow she felt the need to shout his name through the whole establishment, Jinhai couldn't begin to phantom why, but he didn't mind. She was a good girl. A fighter too. Sometimes she fought rounds in his ring and throughout the years Jinhai had gotten, in a way, fond of her. He would help her out on occasion and keep... some of the guys out of her way.

The bottle of brandy he had just put away landed with a slam before Shun's face as the smaller man opened his mouth to spit some obscenities towards Ming. "Shut your mouth and drink." Jinhai said in a lightly threatening tone. Surely the allure of brandy would pursuade the man to shut the hell up and leave Ming alone. His eyes shot to the two figures that had entered with Ming and were obviously acquianted with her. One young, one old. And Ming needed his help. It didn't take much for Jinhai to connect some dots and whether or not his assumptions were right he already made up his mind about these two.

"Follow me." His tone was rough as he kept watching to the two. Then suddenly he seemed to lighten up as he spoke to Shun: "I'll give you half of that bottle if you keep those two occupied for a bit. Deal?" He didn't wait for a reply for he knew that Shun would probably accept. Wasting brandy was not like him. So instead of waiting he beckoned Ming to follow him towards the kitchens. Behind it lay a rather tiny room which Jinhai on occasion used as an office, at least to keep his records in. Huan looked up as his father passed his spot before the sink where he was cleaning plates and Jinhai smiled, but didn't stop to speak to his son. He opened the door for Ming and invited her inside.

'Now..." he said as they were both inside. "Do I need to make someone regret that they stepped inside this establishment today? Or did you finally find a boyfriend? He seems a bit shy for you though." Cleary he was talking about the younger guy that had entered the bar with Ming. Who the older one was he had no clue. He flashed her a smile as he leaned back against the door he had closed behind them.

Things went as expected; the tour was hardly ever on Shen's mind. Instead, he was watching the people, checking out the ladies, and judging the men. Having put some distance between themselves and the brothel, the ladies were becoming more and more decently dressed, albeit grimy - though that was to be understood considering where they were. In the same vein, their faces were decent. That itself was a stark contrast already, and Shen's attention was held only briefly. The men... Were men. Their eyes were mostly cast in their direction, at the scantily clad Ming. Shen was amused for the most part, but he was disappointed to not find one that could at least make it subtle. Yun, on the other hand, was following rather meekly. "Come on, boy," Shen sighed as he kept pace with Yun. The boy could use a lot more confidence, Shen thought to himself.

Nevertheless, it didn't take too long for the group to reach the Blue Box. The place in question was what Shen was expecting it to be.. Sort of. If there's anything he liked, it'll be entertainment. The sound of fighting was a good enough indication of what is to come. Shen could feel the excitement building up within him as he followed Ming into the place. Her rather loud entry was almost immediately drowned out by the boisterous crowd gathered around the fighting ring. Just as attention-grabbing as the cacophony was the stench of sweat and beer; Shen couldn't believe it, but it made him think of Omashu. He stepped in, his excitement now at it's peak, with the feeling of nostalgia hitting home with him. "Oh yes," he said, suddenly remembering Yun. "Come on, boy, don't back out now!"

Just to be sure, he nudged the boy forward. Ming, meanwhile, approached a taller man. A fighter threw her a snide remark only to be silenced by the man. Seeing the cue she gave them, he only rolled his eyes as he came closer. Once he came close however, he was already assessing the man. Well-built, with a strong gaze. He radiates strength, Shen noted, which made sense considering their current location. Going by the way he carried himself and the brandy he offered to the fighter near them, he had to be the owner... Or someone important where they were... Though what was more curious was how Ming was related to this man. His wry smile betrayed his thoughts and he didn't bother to hide it. The way the two behaved... Perhaps... It made Shen burst out laughing as the two left them.

He didn't miss what the man said to the fighter, however. "Well, Yun, looks like we'll be waiting here," Shen remarked to the boy as he threw the fighter a glance. The man was not that much taller than he was, but Shen could feel he was more than he appeared to be - which honestly wasn't a lot. Nevertheless, with age came wisdom, and the wisdom he gained told him not to underestimate this man. "Well, what's it take to get a drink around here," Shen said, taking a seat at the same table as the fighter.

Northern Water Tribe - Dancing Ice Festival
Children started to lean out their windows and people's gazes were locked upwards, tilting to see the most magnificent northern lights of the year. The lights in the streets were all shut down, making sky more beautiful than ever, allowing the stars to be seen with ease. The view was as much of a sight to see as it was publicized to be, perhaps even more so. As the crowd stared at the night in awe, a shining white pillar rose from further north, stretching out behind the lights. Some of the natives were surprised to see the new spectacle, but soon their surprise turned to appreciation for the novel beauty. Soon after, the pillar disappeared. The lights, however, seemed to linger, so people started to go back to the festival's other attractions, like the concerts and games.
Omashu - Royal Palace
Inside the calm palace sat the worried king, Dimi Ranshao. He'd heard some unsettling rumours about an uprising. He knew it was nothing to think about, seeing how there was no sign of anything of such in the past few months. The man sat in the empty throne room in his bed garments, thinking until the large gates' falling interrupted his thoughts. In the place where the gates once stood, he saw an old friend's silhouette he immediately recognized.
"Albright… What are you doing in my palace?"
The metalbender glared at the king and took her stance. Before the king knew, rocks went flying at him.
Omashu - Overview
From any point in the city, one could see the palace crumbling in heat and light. Guards in many of the main streets had disappeared, leaving the eerie night completely silent with the exception of the implosions sounding from the palace.
Northern Water Tribe - Port
Once the crowd had returned to their normal activities, a man was putting up posters as he groaned. On the sheets of paper, it read "Searching for a ship crew for a trip to Shangtan City. 50 gold pieces pay for help."

Yun followed behind Ming and Shen constantly looking around as they passed by the buildings and made their way to the Blue Box, Ming didn't speak much during the tour and hearing what she had to say he personally would have preferred the silence.
When she mentioned the serial killer he took an extra step away from the building, wondering how she could talk about it that calmly. Also there seemed to be multiple alley's not to go down, which made him decided to just avoid every one he came across to the best of his ability.
When they reached the Blue Box Yun glanced inside blinking a few times as he listened to the sounds coming from the place, he looked at Ming when she told him to stay close just offering a nod as Shen pushed him inside.
Hearing it was worse than the Orchid he almost turned around but remembering the degree of danger waiting outside he shook his head and just walked fully inside, jumping when she screamed for a man named Jinhai.

His eyes wandered around the area his gaze falling on the ring, his tenseness seemed to relent a bit though it was clear he was still nervous, more than likely his somewhat calmness was because he at least had a general idea where he was. He wasn't sure what the name for it was but these men were fighting one another...some extremely muscular and the kind he wouldn't want to get on the bad side of. It was a place where people fought each other for money, he had stumbled upon one during his travels though this place was very different from the one he was at, the very atmosphere alone almost choked him with it's intensity.
Speaking of intensity Ming seemed to alternate between different levels of it, she was surprisingly nice to him but put on a glare that would make his blood run cold at Shen...though he did comment on her chest so it was probably just a bad first impression. Then when she spoke to Jinhai it seemed to change again, he wasn't sure what to make of it but he left it alone.
His eye landed on an man sitting at table, the one he noticed had spoken to Ming, but since he wasn't sure what to say to him he just turned his attention away.
Yun wasn't sure what to think about Jinahi as he observed him, he seemed to look in their direction but his attention went back to Ming shortly after. He did have a certain air about him he couldn't describe, it made him want to keep a little bit of distance.

When Ming left with Jinhai he looked over at Shen nodding at him in agreement, since it seemed the man was getting the rest of the bottle to keep them busy he took a seat at the table as well next to Shen before folding his hands on the table listening to him.
"You just drank a whole kettle of tea you still want to drink?" Yun questioned looking over at Shen.
His attention moved to the man in front of them, what was he supposed to say to him? He didn't want to sit here and just stare at him, he seemed irritable from that outburst earlier.
His eyes moved to his left knuckle which seemed to be wounded his eyes moving towards the arena for a moment and it took a second to click but he turned his attention back to him finding a subject to at least to open with.
"So you fought earlier..." Yun said trailing off at the end realizing that was all he thought of. "Ahem...uh...n-never mind my name is Yun Hui and I'm just going to leave you alone now."
Yun promptly turned his head back towards the arena, he was just going to leave the talking to Shen.
"Half of them are basically mountains," Yun muttered staring at the large men. "You couldn't pay me to willingly talk to one of those guys much less fight them, I'm pretty sure that guy's descendant was a bear or something."

Shun Min, orange
Another angry glare was for Jinhai when he took away the bottle he just paid for. He was about to say something angry about it when the man shut him up and handed him back the bottle, which made him relax. Who cared about the being shut up. He was a professional thief and you didn't steal from professional thieves. Not that he called himself like that. He preferred the term 'freelance liberator of property'. Regardless of all that, Jinhai quickly left him with the two persons accompagnying the brutal lass. He inspected both once again, this time more carefully and noticed to his surprise that Mr. Muscle was even shorter than him. Sadly Mr. Muscle invited himself to sit and rink with him, while the other guy gave him a dirty look of indifferent disgust. Mrs. Brutality sure has a weird bunch of companions.

"My father a bear? Jeez kiddo, rub the dirt outta yer eyes. I'm probably even more scrawny than you are, thank you!" He said on a disappointed tone. He had expected some kind of remark around 'aren't you too short, thin, weak, ... to be a fighter? In that case he could happily prove him wrong. This was the first time however someone called him muscular. It sounded so strange and he didn't even feel good about the unintentional compliment. He was proud of being thinner than a lamp post. Most guys at his age started to develop some sort of a belly, be it from alcohol, food or laziness.

Turning to the old guy he vaguely waved his free hand to the bar. "Sounds obvious enough. The shitty beer is cheap, the shitty brandy is less cheap. The usual stuff."

Shen laughed. "Of course boy, there's always room for more!" Though he said that, he was somewhat hesitant to drink much of the alcohol though. The fighter's description of it did it no justice, and he said the magic deterrent word - "cheap". Shen nodded as he scanned the crowd. Most were nondescript, drunk or outright uninteresting, with the exception of one particular individual. He had good physique, tall and muscular, and he was staring daggers in their direction. Shen had a brow raised but he paid him no heed.

Yun's remark was on point in that regard. That strange individual aside, there were indeed several others of significant stature. No doubt, they were fighters too, but what amused Shen was the fact this fighter at their table thought Yun was referring to him. "Ha ha ha! No, good sir, young Yun here was referring to the others in the area," Shen said to the fighter. "Like say, that guy staring at us. Sure looks like he has an axe to grind."

Shen shrugged," But oh well, anyway, I'm Shen Rong, this boy here, as he said, is Yun Hui."

Jinhai Su, peru
It was too easy to draw a good reaction from Shun. The unfortunate coin that was met with his aggression was only prove of that. Jinhai pocketed it and removed the brandy from Shun's sight. The man would just keep drinking if he got the chance. "All the money you make me can get me at least five chickens. So thank you for that." Jinhai enjoyed the bantering that went on between the two of them. It was often mean, but never harsh. Jests, they both understood that.

He was about to make another remark when the door of the bar opened again and a, to Jinhai, familiar voice echoed through the place. He looked up, easily looking over most of the crowd, to spot the figure of the young woman he knew by the name of Ming. He shook his head, but smiled slightly. She still made the same entrance as always. Somehow she felt the need to shout his name through the whole establishment, Jinhai couldn't begin to phantom why, but he didn't mind. She was a good girl. A fighter too. Sometimes she fought rounds in his ring and throughout the years Jinhai had gotten, in a way, fond of her. He would help her out on occasion and keep... some of the guys out of her way.

The bottle of brandy he had just put away landed with a slam before Shun's face as the smaller man opened his mouth to spit some obscenities towards Ming. "Shut your mouth and drink." Jinhai said in a lightly threatening tone. Surely the allure of brandy would pursuade the man to shut the hell up and leave Ming alone. His eyes shot to the two figures that had entered with Ming and were obviously acquianted with her. One young, one old. And Ming needed his help. It didn't take much for Jinhai to connect some dots and whether or not his assumptions were right he already made up his mind about these two.

"Follow me." His tone was rough as he kept watching to the two. Then suddenly he seemed to lighten up as he spoke to Shun: "I'll give you half of that bottle if you keep those two occupied for a bit. Deal?" He didn't wait for a reply for he knew that Shun would probably accept. Wasting brandy was not like him. So instead of waiting he beckoned Ming to follow him towards the kitchens. Behind it lay a rather tiny room which Jinhai on occasion used as an office, at least to keep his records in. Huan looked up as his father passed his spot before the sink where he was cleaning plates and Jinhai smiled, but didn't stop to speak to his son. He opened the door for Ming and invited her inside.

'Now..." he said as they were both inside. "Do I need to make someone regret that they stepped inside this establishment today? Or did you finally find a boyfriend? He seems a bit shy for you though." Cleary he was talking about the younger guy that had entered the bar with Ming. Who the older one was he had no clue. He flashed her a smile as he leaned back against the door he had closed behind them.
(@Superpiggeh, @Mizos, @RoranHawkins)

in the next few moments, Ming managed to do a few surprising things. The first thing was that she reached up to punch Shun straight in the jaw - which in itself would be surprising considering her age and gender - but her gaze slipped to Jinhai, who lightly threatened Shun and took command of the situation by leading Ming away. She couldn't fight in his far. Outside the bar, yes, but not inside, you had to have a certain level of...respect for the establishment to be a regular. With a large amount of self-control, and a fair bit of consideration in the consequences of attacking someone - no matter how scrawny - in the presense of Jinhai, Ming slowly, and reluctantly, backed away from the man. She spat in his general direction and sauntered off behind Jinhai like a puppy who just broke something.

As she walked into the cramped kitchens, she naturally weaved past a few of the staff, but paused only slightly to beam at Huan and ruffle his hair. "Heya kid," she greeted him warmly. Ming had seen Huan around once or twice - Jinhai's son. Ming's heart fell to her stomach with dread and guilt - of course Jinhai wouldn't say yes, it's just stupid to even consider it...but she had to ask. For Yun's safety, of course. Not because she's worried that Shen guy had friends who would overpower her and throw her in jail, not at all.

Ming laughed at Jinhai's guesses, shaking her head. "N-no...That Yun kid has no-one to go to. Sounds a little familiar, huh?" she admitted, a little bitterly. Jinhai would know of Ming's quest to become the older sister of every worthless child thrown into the Downtown District, naturally. "But it's...-different, this time; I want to get out of here."

Ming looked around the office and corrected herself. She drew her shoulders in, hunching over as she sat down on Jinhai's desk, kicking her legs out ashamedly. "As in, out of the city. Jinhai, I think I'm actually going to do it this time - there's something in the air. All of a sudden this city's too small and it's choking me. Now, I thought you'd...that you might be able to come with me, but I see now."

Ming ran a grimy hand across her face. "You've got Huan, and you've got the Box. You're not stupid - you're making a living out here and I bet you don't even want to leave in the first place. I just thought that, maybe, with you around I'd be less...violent, and annoying. You're one of the few people who I actually listen to when you tell me to shut up. I feel like I'll kinda need that when I'm out on my own and I get scared and then I get angry."

Stupid, stupid, stupid child! Why did she ever think Jinhai would come with her? A little voice in the back of Ming's mind gave her the answer - He's the dad you wish you had, teased her common sense. Even though Jinhai was already a father - and a bloody good one - to Huan, Ming always looked up to Jinhai ever since she threw herself into the ring a few years back and got taught quite a few lessons. The Blue Box was where she usually spent her evenings for years, winning (and losing) bets to further increase the sum of stolen coins she managed to garner off the market during the day. Sometimes it got so late, and she had worked so hard that she nearly fell asleep on those barstools, but Jinhai was always there to forcefully kick her out when she passed her limits.

Ming knew what she needed - a safety net, someone with a backbone who would stop her from scaring off her two travel partners and be the voice of authority and reason. And in her head she thought Jinhai, completely self-absorbed in her own dreams Ming forgot that Jinhai had a life going on in the city that he couldn't abandon on a whim and a hope.

"It's fine. If you don't want to come. I'll just...I'll try to make it on my own, I always have." she mumbled dejectedly, but she didn't stand up - she waited hopefully for Jinhai's reply. Despite everything, Ming still clung to the idea that Jinhai would just blow up the Blue Box and run out of the slums with Ming.

Jinhai Su, peru
Ming had come to him before with trouble and she had come to him before with the notion that she wanted to leave. But she never did. Those kids that she looked after, she just couldn't leave them behind. They had become her family through the years and even though Ming might not openly admit it, Jinhai knew that she really wanted one. A real family. Unfortunately that was something she could not get, but the children were the closest she could come. Maybe that was even closer than other families would come. The children might not be related by blood, but the bond they shared was strong. Just as strong as the bond between Jinhai and Huan.

First Jinhai had through that she just wanted to look after Yun, but her determination to leave the city was different this time. Something in her bodylanguage, something in her voice. Maybe Ming was no longer the little girl that hid in the city. Talking about leaving was easy, she had done it multiple times, but actually venturing in that wide world were you didn't know the way and didn't have a place to stay was something completely different. It was nice to hide away in a street you knew, a bed you felt comfortable with and the people you loved. It was hard to leave it behind. But now she seemed serious. Jinhai wondered what had changed her mind. Was it that young guy, Yun? Or had the old guy somehow convinced her? Or was it something else? Something she was escaping from? Or maybe she was just pretending to be strong and would come cowering back again in a week. For Jinhai all those options were just as likely.

The answer didn't come from her, instead she asked him something that he could not do. She asked him to leave the Box. It was a ridiculous question, which she seemed to realize herself as soon as she spoke it, but her reasoning was slightly touching. Jinhai shook his head, chuckling slightly. "I appreciate that you came to tell me you are leaving, though I must object against your choice of traveling partners. The old one doesn't look he would be able to keep his eyes more less his hands of off you. You sure you want to travel with those people? Or is there something that is forcing you here? I know that, as a young woman, you can make your own decisions and it is none of my business really. If you want to go you got to go as I told you before, but this one doesn't look like a particulary wise way to do it." Jinhai didn't rule over Ming's life. She was not his daughter, she was not anything related to him. He had taken care of her yes and he cared for her yes, but he was not going to be the one that would tell her to not do anything, unless it involved stuff in his bar.

The Blue Box
While the boss of the establishment was away the fights had continued. Most of the nights nothing much happened. People fought, people won, people lost, money was spend, beer spilled like water both through throats and on the ground, and it was generally a good time. But on occasion people stopped having a good time. This mostly happened when money and payment was involved. A fight had just concluded. An sturdy earthbender had won from his more limble opponent who now lay unmoving on the ground, blood running out of his nose and into the wood. People swapped money and that was were it went wrong. Whoever it started didn't matter, but when someone doesn't pay up others get mad. And when drunk people get mad things tend to happen, especially when those drunk people are professional fighters. Suddenly the rather "peaceful" crowd transformed into chaos as one of the guy grabbed the other by the throat and started shaking him back and forth beA nfore sending him towards the closest wall. A new circle formed, no longer around the box, but around the two fighters outside the box who were going at each other.​

Jinhai intended to say more to Ming, but his conversation was interupted by someone who tried to opened the door. Jinhai took a step forwards and turned around only to find that his son stood in the dooropening.

"Dad! They are fighting outside the ring!" The boy called a bit alarmed.

Jinhai's eyes narrowed. "And how would you know that. You were in the kitchen."

Huan's cheeks turned red. "I... eh.."

Jinhai's jaw tightened. "First rule: you do not approach the fighting ring. Second rule:"

"You do not approach the fighting ring..." Huan finished for his father. The man gave his son a dark look, tell him that this was not over yet and then stomped out of the office, leaving it up to Ming if she wanted to follow him or stay with Huan a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.