Aurora's Gift (OOC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Character 2 cos I had a neat idea:

Name: Steve the Painter
Appearance:
Steve looks like the stereotypical elderly man whose image popped into your head the moment you saw "age 96".

Ability: Worldcanvas
Anything drawn/painted by Steve will become reality. For example, he could doodle an apple on a sheet of paper, and he'd suddenly have a shitty apple instead of the piece of paper. If he wanted a real apple, he'd have to paint a still life of said apple, to great detail.

Personality and History are optional so since this guy is a minor character I'm not going to write them down.

@Sakuyahime I love your characters ability, but can you elaborate on the dead zone more? What I got from it was, anyone who is in 3 meters of her can't use their abilities, and if they try, they suddenly go into an unconscious state that when when they wake up, they recall hearing voices, mainly a voice of a woman.

Also, as far as I can tell, abilities that move into the field will also be negated.

I think its a little too overpowered. Negation and instinct black out which could lead to death by just being around her is very strong in its self.

I suggest instead of complete negation, you reduce the effects or make powers more difficult to use. Or, you keep the current effects but make it so that she has to touch you to render your powers useless.

(or you can do both of what i said. Aura that reduce the effects of powers and makes them more difficult to use but if you touch them you can nullify it all together)

Reactions: ~\The Talentless/~
can you elaborate on the dead zone more? What I got from it was, anyone who is in 3 meters of her can't use their abilities, and if they try, they suddenly go into an unconscious state that when when they wake up, they recall hearing voices, mainly a voice of a woman.
That's about right.

It works the way it does mostly based on conjecture of how one is able to use their abilities in the first place—Iona's "dead zone" is an area of electromagnetic disruption affecting the part of the brain that enables use of abilities.

I'll just keep using the electricity analogy for this. It would overcharge that part of the brain, causing stress by being within the area. Attempted use of abilities causes a power surge of sorts, resulting in incapacitation and a specific hallucination caused by Iona herself. When making contact, Iona can close that current, making her able to efficiently contain and increase the other person's output, effectively overclocking them.

If her only ability was negation and it required physical contact to work to its full effect, the only thing she's good for is removing one person from the equation, and it would be nigh impossible to reliably pull off. What would be the point of having her exist like that without making her a villain? And how would she get to use her powers at all? She would basically have to be the Rabbit of Caerbannog if she provided no benefit for the brief struggle of reaching her, and I don't really like that. Not to mention that she's also an otherwise normal child. She doesn't have the physical strength to just stick to someone against their will. It wouldn't be difficult to hurt her just by punching her, either, but then you're just a jerk who punches little girls, as if trying to use supernatural powers to harm her isn't bad enough.

And Unyielding, I think you're overestimating just how much of a threat Iona really is. On top of the fact of her aforementioned physical weakness, Iona is pretty useless on her own. She requires an ally to be truly powerful, by making them more powerful. She has the anti-ability field, but it's not like she can move it around without moving herself. Ability users would naturally learn to avoid her, and the few that make contact instead find their own powers amplified.

However, the area of effect is unsettling (~20-foot diameter when I originally posted it), so I've cut that down. Honestly surprised that nobody picked up on that when inadvertently disabling an entire room was probably the only worrying part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful
  • Love
Reactions: Almalthia and Brea
It works the way it does mostly based on conjecture of how one is able to use their abilities in the first place—electromagnetic disruption affecting the part of the brain that enables use. I'll just keep using the electricity analogy for this. It would overcharge that part of the brain, causing stress, or incapacitation from attempted use, like a power surge. When making contact, Iona can close that current, making her able to efficiently contain and increase the other person's output.

If her only ability was negation and it required physical contact to work to its full effect, the only thing she's good for is removing one person from the equation, and it would be nigh impossible to reliably pull off. What would be the point of having her exist like that without making her a villain? And how would she get to use her powers at all? She would basically have to be the Rabbit of Caerbannog if she provided no benefit for the brief struggle of reaching her, and I don't really like that. Not to mention that she's also an otherwise normal child. She doesn't have the physical strength to just stick to someone against their will. It wouldn't be difficult to hurt her just by punching her, either, but then you're just a jerk who punches little girls, as if trying to use supernatural powers to harm her isn't bad enough.

And Unyielding, I think you're overestimating just how much of a threat Iona really is. On top of the fact of her aforementioned physical weakness, Iona is pretty useless on her own. She requires an ally to be truly powerful, by making them more powerful. She has the anti-ability field, but it's not like she can move it around without moving herself. Ability users would naturally learn to avoid her, and the few that make contact instead find their own powers amplified.

However, the area of effect is unsettling (~20-foot diameter when I originally posted it), so I've cut that down. Honestly surprised that nobody picked up on that when inadvertently disabling an entire room was probably the only worrying part of it.
Alright now that you have explained it, I agree with your statement about how should would be useless in the story without those said abilities. And reading this made it easier to understand.

that change to the area of effect seems more appropriate now by the way :)

OUR CHARACTERS NEED THEME SONGS :D!!!

It works the way it does mostly based on conjecture of how one is able to use their abilities in the first place—Iona's "dead zone" is an area of electromagnetic disruption affecting the part of the brain that enables use of abilities.

I'll just keep using the electricity analogy for this. It would overcharge that part of the brain, causing stress by being within the area. Attempted use of abilities causes a power surge of sorts, resulting in incapacitation and a specific hallucination caused by Iona herself. When making contact, Iona can close that current, making her able to efficiently contain and increase the other person's output, effectively overclocking them.

So unless i'm reading it wrong (Completely understandable if i am),

Pros:
- Your a walking null zone which cancels out everyone powers
- anyone who tries to use their powers around you is beaten in instantly.
- You can augment your allies powers which protects them from your Null zone
- Applies constant stress to anyone who is in your null zone

Cons
- your physically weak...

You cant even say you require other people around you to use your powers because you have the null zone.

Here are the problems i have with your ability:

1. anyone who tries to use their powers around you is beaten in instantly.
Im sorry but instinct K.O. is overpower in its self.

2. Null zone negates powers.
Its not the ability of negating power which bothers me. It is the fact that you do it at a range. You remove any challenges present to the group from ALL power users. (Guy has super strength, Nullified. Guy can turn to water, Nullified. Guy can multiple and create black holes, Nullify) You beat anyone as long as you have someone with you or they use their power. And if your argument is that they have to be close and you are useless solo. You are a 5 year old girl. Nobody is going to leave you alone anywhere.

3. It passively works.
You always have your null zone up and if you dont always have it up you never mention how long you can keep it up nor did you say it tires you out or it has a limit.

If her only ability was negation
Never said only power I made a suggestion on how the Null field should work
see below
(or you can do both of what i said. Aura that reduce the effects of powers and makes them more difficult to use but if you touch them you can nullify it all together)
As you can see nowhere did i say you should not have the argument ability

What would be the point of having her exist like that without making her a villain? And how would she get to use her powers at all? She would basically have to be the Rabbit of Caerbannog if she provided no benefit for the brief struggle of reaching her, and I don't really like that.
With your current powers you STILL will run into this. Any adult, teen, or bigger kid can just walk up to you and you cannot do crap about it. If I wanted Kaos to beat up your character and Kaos knew that using his powers around you would K.O. him. He will just walk up to you and boom he win.

But lets flip the coin to the highlights of your powers

(with friend) no enemy can use anything but their normal human strength while you allow your allies to use their powers with a boost. I doubt the GM could make any challenge without just saying their is someone who is immune to your ability all together and then just have no ability at all. So unless the GM God Modes... Who ever you attach to becomes Invincible.

Honestly the 3 points together i listed above are what makes.

Number 1 should go period. Nobody likes one hit K.O. moves.

This brings us to number 2 and 3

If you change number 2 to a physical contact or give some kind of requirement so you cant just effect everyone then you wont be op. because you can work around it.

If you change number 3 and give your self a time limit of how long you can hold up the Null zone. Before you have to stop and take a break or limit how long you can nullify someones powers for before they get a chance to use them again. Then you Give people a window to do something.

Overall the way im thinking about this is that we are in a superpower RP. And you character has the ability to Negate superpowers. Your ability is really anti fun to everyone else no-matter how you use it but if properly regulated then it can still be fun to have around.

As far as I understood it, someone who uses a power inside the field simply suffers the same fatigue she does from having the field active (see 3), which can eventually lead to KO.

Its not the ability of negating power which bothers me. It is the fact that you do it at a range. You remove any challenges present to the group from ALL power users. (Guy has super strength, Nullified. Guy can turn to water, Nullified. Guy can multiple and create black holes, Nullify) You beat anyone as long as you have someone with you or they use their power. And if your argument is that they have to be close and you are useless solo. You are a 5 year old girl. Nobody is going to leave you alone anywhere.
Nullification abilities only nullify the direct magical parts of the attack. For example, a magical fire ball would be negated, but the heat the fireball poured into the surrounding air would remain (sure this wouldn't actually do much). In another example, if Fortress were to create a huge amount of pressure and then release it, the resulting shockwave would not be negated by the field (because it's simply a rush of air), just as the shockwave would continue moving outside of Fortress's own 2 meter radius.

3. It passively works.
You always have your null zone up and if you dont always have it up you never mention how long you can keep it up nor did you say it tires you out or it has a limit.
It does actually mention the downsides to having the ability. Every time an attempt to use an ability is negated, she suffers a wave of fatigue. She also suffers the same fatigue if amplifying the abilities of others.

And Unyielding, I think you're overestimating just how much of a threat Iona really is. On top of the fact of her aforementioned physical weakness, Iona is pretty useless on her own. She requires an ally to be truly powerful, by making them more
I'm wondering something, a bit of a curiosity thing really, but if she's touching a person would any attempt at using powers on her still not work. (Talking about the person she's in contact with using powers on her) Say like Siobhan trying to read her mind during this time. Or Kate creating the illusion of a movie playing? Would they still be affected negatively?

Reactions: Almalthia
These statements are copied from her CS
However, when not in contact with someone, the energy Iona contains simply orbits her uncontrolled, creating a "dead zone" in a five foot radius where no one's powers can thrive. Simply being in the area can cause notable stress, but any attempt to use one's powers are met with near immediate incapacitation. From range, any connection in the zone to one's powers are disrupted and disabled. Those who leave the experience with their memory intact often remember seeing ghosts, or hearing the voice of a woman who isn't there.\
This said near immediate incapacitation.

The full description of her power
When making direct contact with another gifted, Iona acts as a conduit and magnifier. She adds to the energy at one's disposal by passively routing their own powers through her, allowing them to use their abilities to much greater effect. While the results are incredible, they also suffer from equal levels of fatigue.

However, when not in contact with someone, the energy Iona contains simply orbits her uncontrolled, creating a "dead zone" in a five foot radius where no one's powers can thrive. Simply being in the area can cause notable stress, but any attempt to use one's powers are met with near immediate incapacitation. From range, any connection in the zone to one's powers are disrupted and disabled. Those who leave the experience with their memory intact often remember seeing ghosts, or hearing the voice of a woman who isn't there.
Nowhere does it say she suffers any fatigue from using her power.

Pushing air... (god your so creative cat lol)

Your right it is a creative way to beat the power but it does not take away that its a strong ability without a drawback.

So unless i'm reading it wrong (Completely understandable if i am),

Pros:
- Your a walking null zone which cancels out everyone powers
- anyone who tries to use their powers around you is beaten in instantly.
- You can augment your allies powers which protects them from your Null zone
- Applies constant stress to anyone who is in your null zone
I'm sorry to tell you this, but you are, in fact, reading it wrong.

The fact that she emits a constant nullifier is only partly true. I'm pretty sure it was pretty clear in the original sheet, but when using her amplifier, the dead zone disappears completely, and vice versa. This also really screws up the problem you listed below in #2.
You cant even say you require other people around you to use your powers because you have the null zone.
Here are the problems i have with your ability:
They are not "beaten". Sudden loss of consciousness and potential short term memory loss are the side effects of trying to use one's powers while within the dead zone, but please understand that Iona herself poses no threat. Do you want me to make an ax crazy devil child?
She's nine.
3. It passively works.
The reason I reduced the area of effect was because it worked passively, and I felt that being able to reduce the effectiveness and incapacitate a room full of ability users was too strong. Your "suggestions" fall under this same category of issues. A maximum range of five feet in any direction should be perfectly acceptable, and it's only available as a point-blank AoE. It was designed akin to a self-defense mechanism against others' abilities, not a weapon. It has no functional offensive use unless you want to throw Iona at someone, and that makes you an even bigger jerk than walking up and punching her.

Frankly, at this point, you're arguing just to argue when your solutions are worse than what's already in place, especially since you haven't accounted for Iona as a character who's more than just the power.
As far as I understood it, someone who uses a power inside the field simply suffers the same fatigue she does from having the field active (see 3), which can eventually lead to KO.
The knockout is almost immediate due to extreme stress on the brain. However, when one's powers aren't in use, or if it's also passive or subconscious (and therefore not taking up significant resources in the conscious mind) they wouldn't suffer from anything more than something like lightheadedness or a headache. Clear stress-related concerns, but nothing that would actually draw your attention.
Nullification abilities only nullify the direct magical parts of the attack. For example, a magical fire ball would be negated, but the heat the fireball poured into the surrounding air would remain (sure this wouldn't actually do much). In another example, if Fortress were to create a huge amount of pressure and then release it, the resulting shockwave would not be negated by the field (because it's simply a rush of air), just as the shockwave would continue moving outside of Fortress's own 2 meter radius.
This is correct. The nullifier only affects the ability itself. All other active forces remain in effect. For example, you could telekinetically throw an object from outside the field and send it through. The telekinetic link with the object will break, but its momentum ensures that it continues moving. Using your own example as another, the actual fire from a fireball will dissipate, but the heat and pressure still have the potential to be dangerous.
I'm wondering something, a bit of a curiosity thing really, but if she's touching a person would any attempt at using powers on her still not work. (Talking about the person she's in contact with using powers on her) Say like Siobhan trying to read her mind during this time. Or Kate creating the illusion of a movie playing? Would they still be affected negatively?
This is my favorite question now! I love the hypothetical you're suggesting. Iona becomes what amounts to an extension of another person's powers—like an external battery. As such, Iona gains only the immunities that the person she's touching already has. If they have none, she has none.

Without spoiling her mental condition: mind reading and telepathy and the like, while 100% possible, are not advised, although more especially mind reading. She's nine years old, went through a lot, and I personally really don't like mind reading as an ability in multiplayer, because that ruins all depth of character to me.

Basically, just because you can do it doesn't mean you should, for multiple reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh, well I think that your character works perfectly fine really, so you are now accepted

Also uhm, now that you are, I would rather everybody wait to post until Sakuyahime has (Unless you are okay with catching up?)

I'm alright with catching up if someone finishes their post before I do. Please don't feel like you have to wait for me. ^_^

This:
"However, when not in contact with someone, the energy Iona contains simply orbits her uncontrolled, creating a "dead zone" in a five foot radius where no one's powers can thrive. Simply being in the area can cause notable stress, but any attempt to use one's powers are met with near immediate incapacitation. From range, any connection in the zone to one's powers are disrupted and disabled. Those who leave the experience with their memory intact often remember seeing ghosts, or hearing the voice of a woman who isn't there."

Is no more OP than:
"Fortress is the ability to freely control the pressure of atmospheric nitrogen. She cannot manipulate nitrogen that is locked up in other molecules, only the gaseous N2 molecule. To be specific, she can control the pressure of any nitrogen within 2 meters of herself, though this radius is slowly expanding by about 5cm per week. Availability of nitrogen does not seem to be a limiting factor, and in observations of Fortress in action, extra nitrogen seems to be created from nothing to suit her needs, and nitrogen will also disappear into nothingness if pressure is reduced."

Honestly Sakuyahime's is less powerful than Karakui's. At least Sakuyahime's doesn't kill people. Nitrogen narcosis, inert gas narcosis, raptures of the deep, Martini effect can kill as narcosis and oxygen toxicity become critical risk factors, specialist training is required in the use of various helium-containing gas mixtures such as trimix or heliox. These mixtures prevent narcosis by replacing some of the breathing gas with non-narcotic helium. Since bubbles can form in or migrate to any part of the body, DCS or the bends, can produce many symptoms, and its effects may vary from joint pain and rashes to paralysis and death. Exposure to DCS on diving can be managed through proper decompression procedures by hyperbaric oxygen therapy in a recompression chamber. So I'm hoping we have those handy or no one should ever go near Karakui.

thank you for explain it. (though i still think instinct K.O. is still OP)

The fact that you cannot use Null and augment at the same time is a good restriction.

I just want to point out what Mind Melding actually consists of. As far as I know, it is literal fusing of minds. Both original minds will die, and a single new mind created will have traits of both of the original ones.
Actually it has always been defined as a temporary fuse of consciousness with that of another, resulting in a sharing and transference of knowledge, emotions, and memories. May be used to heal mental damage/illness, or even implant new mental factors in the other's mind. This has never been used as a complete takeover mentally.

As I explained at the top of the CS for Fortress, nitrogen based blood issues are easily solvable and pose very little threat, especially in an environment where the people in charge are well aware of Fortress's ability. Not to mention that in the end, killing people through asphyxiation is just boring and I'm not going to do it. If Fortress wants to kill people she's going to have to do it the old fashioned way.

Im sorry for pushing something like that. It was out of my jurisdiction and i wont do it again T-T

I was just trying to look out for the story.

I'll have a post up after school today, by the way, I'm guessing our characters will be fighting each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.