Athánatos: Death is only the beginning

As she took her hand, he started to walk her into the shadows of some trees, hidden from the sight of any passerby.

"Wait here my dear, I'll be back in a few minutes with a cure for your suffering throat." He told her with a soft, calming voice before he left her in the shadows. He had already met dozens of people whom would gladly take a walk with him. It wouldn't take long to find someone suitable for her first meal. He didn't even have to enter the mansion before he noticed a perfect victim. Her blood had a beautiful aroma, not many people was blessed, or cursed, with such tasty blood. He walked up to the lonely woman and charmed her easily before taking her back to place where Victoria should be awaiting his return.

"Now love, feel honored, for your blood shall be given to a newborn immortal." He whispered to the woman as he covered her mouth with one of his hands and held her other hand in a strong grip. Then he bit her wrist and held it high. "Come now child, drink this. It will ease your suffering."

For a moment she could only stare at the blood dripping from the woman's wrist. She was torn between her revulsion at the idea of hurting this woman, and her maddening desire to consume her blood. Her thirst proved stronger however and she grabbed her wrist, not knowing her own strength she accidentally crushed the woman's fragile bones. She barely noticed however as she sucked the blood, it felt cool and refreshing on her throat. She wanted to stop before she killed the woman but once she started it's already too late. She pulled great gushes of the ambrosial liquid and felt a very pleasant heat in her belly, among other places. Finally the woman went limp and Victoria is able to pull away with a long shuddering sigh.

She dropped to her knees while small drops of blood fell from her open mouth. She put a finger to her lip and looked at the blood with an unbelieving stare. Slowly she licked her lips and sucked the drop of blood off her finger. She stayed on her knees for a few minutes trying to collect her thoughts, and wrap her mind around her situation. She was stronger, faster, desperately craving blood, and she could clearly see now that Caius was much older than he appeared. She looked up at Caius, finally understanding but still unable to accept the obvious answer. He was a vampire, meaning she was a vampire as well. She stood, forcing her mind to calm down, it was too late to go back now so even though she was quite angry with Caius, she also knew that she needed him.

"What now?" She asked.

He watched his newborn child drink the life out of the poor woman. It was tempting to join in on the feast, but as a newborn she would need all the blood to still her thirst. For now he had to still Victoria's thirst and then take her somewhere safe to explain the situation. He could already imagine how she would react. Most people whom were turned without their consent either became awfully angry or horribly depressed. Usually the depression came from believing that their soul was lost and they could never go to heaven, they were forever damned. But some was depressed more for their families whom they could not see again. He was pretty certain that this woman be more of the angry kind.

But she surprised him. After some minutes of silence between them she spoke, and it was not the rage he had been prepared for that came out. It was a calm voice with mixed feelings of all sorts. Here he had prepared for at least some screaming, or even an attack. But she seemed to go along with it. For now.

"We shall go back to my apartment." He told her before he looked down on the body he had let go of right after Victoria had stopped drinking from her. She would probably be found in the morning together with the other dead body he had left in another dark corner. "It would be for the best if we weren't disturbed when I explain the changes you have gone through." He explained. That wasn't the only reason of course. If she would eventually break down into a certain emotion then it would be better to be where no one could hear or see them. And for the fact that they had to be inside at sunrise or else they would burn to death. If she would break down then it might be hard to get her inside.

He reached out his arm for her to hold onto if she wished.

She wanted to lash out at him, to scream and claw at his face; but she had a strong feeling that he was going to be her only friend in the world at this point so she forced her self to stay calm. She closed her eyes for a moment and concentrated on breathing slowly, she pushed all other thought from her mind and enjoyed the cool night breeze on her skin and sighed when her mind finally relaxed enough. She opened her eyes and smiled at Caius. "Alright then, we shall go to your apartment and discuss matters." She took his arm and allowed him to lead her. "I will not pretend that I am not upset. To be honest I am quite angry with you, but to be fair I did ask for some excitement and I did agree to run away with you. I do believe you owe me an apology though, as you were not at all clear about the conditions of your proposal."

Once again she astonished him. She might have confessed that she was angry with him, but she didn't do anything about it. Most people acted mainly on impulses right after their turning, so if they were angry they attacked, if they were scared they fled. She was still so human, thinking about how to act and not do something too rash just because you feel like it. That was quite... interesting.

"Would you have believed me if I were clearer about my intentions? If I had told you, travel with me in a world of excitement and become immortal, live for the night and feast on human blood. Would you not laugh at such a statement?" Caius asked her. There was no way for neither of them to be certain of what would have happened if he had done that, most people didn't know themselves well enough to answer a theoretical question correctly. They simply assumed what they would do without thinking about everything that might change their mind in that situation.