Assassin's Dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurkuna thought for a second, "Everyone in the Xander is an employer. Each person wants to cripple the other. So we are the only thing they have to attack."

"Then why don't they just send assassins after the other employers instead of each other?" she asked in a rather irritated tone, letting her anger at her old employer show.

Kurkuna looked at her, "What would you do? risk your own merchandise? That would make it easier to kill people!"

"Because an assassin attacking an employer is more dangerous than an assassin attacking another assassin?" Eliza asked somewhat rhetorically, not fully understanding as it sounded to her like the easier thing to do would be to turn enemy employers into targets.

Kurkuna sighed, "did you even know you were a pawn for the Xander?"

Eliza paused. "...What do you mean by that?"

Kurkuna pulled out a chess board, "This king," She lifted the white one up, "Is the head of the Xander. He brought together all these employers," She waved the rooks, bishops and knights, "Who were smart ,strong, and lusting. Well, each employer has pawns," she moved three paws to each of them except the king and queen, "WE are pawns. We answer to the knight, or bishop or rook, who in turn answers to the king and his wife. The head is a man named Valumnd, and his wife is Jessica." She looked at her, "Now, the king gets murdered, and so does his wife," She knocked the two pieces over, "And then chaos sets in. You see, each employer thinks the other killed Valumnd and that means that they'll come for them soon. We are pawns, so we must be taken out to get to the employer," She shook one pawn, "So each employer is sending their pawns, assassins, to kill other pawns. Does this make more sense now?"

Eliza nodded as she watched Kurkuna's demonstration. "Right… I think I understand now." She told Kurkuna. At first, she had heard the word "pawn" and almost thought it synonymous to "disposable tool". Despite all the times she'd heard the word "pawn" used to describe someone being used, she'd never actually played chess herself. By this point, Eliza had begun to feel quite dense when placed next to Kurkuna. Her employer had built her up to think she was great, and maybe sometimes she was, but next to Kurkuna she'd already been outmatched and outsmarted more than once. Combine that with everything else and the whole experience felt a bit dizzying. She tried shaking it off.

"So, are you trying to say that we need to kill the other assassins and then employers before we go after Xander?" she asked. "Or are we going after him first and just letting the chaos unfold once we're not a part of it anymore?" She placed her hand on the chess board and idly began to play with one of the pawns with her fingertips. "Are we playing by the rules or just flipping the board over?"

Kurkuna nodded, "If we kill the Xander- Valumnd is his name- then another employer will just take power. No, we need to kill each of them. In order to stay alive, though, we have to kill the assassins first." She smiled, "You getting that 'I'm not so great' look? No worries, I got it too."

"Huh?" Eliza echoed in response to Kurkuna's last question. "Oh, I'm fine..." Eliza tried to disregard the thought. She'd have plenty more opportunities to make herself look like a competent assassin - starting with getting involved in this plan.

"Anyway, there's one problem with this plan." she spoke up. "Obviously we want to keep this on the down low, right? We don't need the entire system coming at us all at once," she started to explain. "But if we start taking out assassins that no one else ordered to kill, don't you think they'd catch onto the fact that it's us? They'd figure out that we didn't both die?" she asked rhetorically, before thinking on the subject further. "In fact, what are the odds we would've both killed each other, anyway? Had we not teamed up, it makes sense to assume that one of us would've returned alive." she told Kurkuna. "So, if we don't want anyone thinking it's us, we'll need to convince everyone that we're dead." she explained. "Or, at least, that one of us is dead."

"That is the issue, I've thought about thsi for months," She smiled, "Which is why you and I will be going in as one of the other employers assassins."

"Wait, I'm confused." Eliza replied. "Which employers?"

Kurkuna pulled out a piece of paper, "There are ten employers, not counting the Xander, who run the thing. We work for these two," She pointed, "From the other eight, two are dead. The strongest is Vladic, an odd name, but a strong man. He put out a request for new assassins, and we're going to join him. When we get into his circle, we kill his assassins and then him."

Last edited:
"Mmm alright. That makes sense." Eliza responded. "But how well do these employers know each other?" she asked. "Will our old ones find out that both of us are still alive? And be able to piece together what happened from there?"

Kurkuna smiled, "We won't be going in as Eliza and Kurkuna," She waved a hand, "We'll go in as Kylie and Elizabeth."

Eliza nodded slowly. "Fair enough..." Then, after a moment, "Do we need disguises? Would anyone recognize our faces?"

Kurkuna thought again, her features twisting up, "I could die your hair, but no more than that." She grinned, "I'm taking my chances."

"So for the most part, we're just using aliases?" Eliza asked.

Kurkuna laughed, "Sure, that is a good way to put it."

"Alright." Eliza responded. "So, which employer are we going after?"

Status
Not open for further replies.