Asking people to leave?

If the shit stinks and they won't clean it up: boot them.

Sure be nice and polite. But if they don't cooperate then tell them to (politely) GTFO and if they don't then (politely) ask a GM or staffy to help you get them to (politely) GTFO.

ask a GM or staffy to help you get them to (politely) GTFO.
Wait, so in this situation "you" is not the GM? I guess this is a bit of an offshoot, but does anyone else think it's inappropriate for one player to suggest or ask another player to leave? I don't like 'vote to kick' type systems either, it feels like ganging up.

I think a player should ask the GM to take action privately, or if the GM won't do anything, bow out themselves.

... It's just now occurring to me you probably meant CV up there. Oh well; something to discuss.

Reactions: Mid
Wait, so in this situation "you" is not the GM? I guess this is a bit of an offshoot, but does anyone else think it's inappropriate for one player to suggest or ask another player to leave? I don't like 'vote to kick' type systems either, it feels like ganging up.

I think a player should ask the GM to take action privately, or if the GM won't do anything, bow out themselves.

... It's just now occurring to me you probably meant CV up there. Oh well; something to discuss.
I meant GM as in staff member. Though I could see the thread maker being the first one to try and handle any drama or something like that. If that fails, then yeah, staff member intervention is the best option before the situation spirals out of control.

Oh well; something to discuss.
I think it's worth throwing it open to discussion. If you've got six people in a roleplay and four of them want one person to leave, then I'd like to think that there's a good reason for it. Perhaps that one person is always slow to post and they hold up the roleplay? My only concern about "ganging up" would be if you had a group of friends roleplaying with one or two strangers, because then things could get a bit cliquey, and that isn't fair. If the rest of the group is made up of relative strangers, then I wouldn't expect people to start colluding for no reason.

I don't think it's right to go straight to asking the person to leave, though. Maybe mention it in the OOC and get a discussion going, because the other person might not be aware of what they're doing. You've got to give them a chance to redeem themselves, right?

As a GM of several years experience, generally, the only time I'd resort to a vote to kick system is if I have a repeat offender but I'm not certain as to whether their repeat "crime" matches the punishment of being booted out. Ergo, talk to everyone about it, figure out how they feel, and make a decision based on that. If consensus is largely to remove him, then I do: No sense in keeping a player that everyone else gets angered by. If consensus is mixed, then maybe that player deserves one more chance and should be informed that their behaviour is damning their reputation with their fellow players. (Without naming names: Because nothing spells "flame wars" like person X knowing that persons Y and Z want them gone behind their back.) If the consensus is "he's really not that bad don't kick him", then maybe my perspective is wrong and I just need to change how I communicate and interact with said player to produce more equitable results.

tl;dr: VtK is best use as a group think tank/anonymous hotline when the GM is feeling uncertain in how to treat a player.

Reactions: Minibit
Wait, so in this situation "you" is not the GM? I guess this is a bit of an offshoot, but does anyone else think it's inappropriate for one player to suggest or ask another player to leave?
You can't demand another person to be kicked. You can bring up that their behaviour bothers you, but ultimately that decision is up to the GM.

tl;dr: VtK is best use as a group think tank/anonymous hotline when the GM is feeling uncertain in how to treat a player.
Oh the memories... Yeah, I'll confirm vote to kick was a good decision in this scenario. While the player in question made a douche out of himself, these instances by their selves weren't enough to kick him. Well, except for one thing that was brought up during the vote, but we didn't know about that at the time because it took place over PM's. However, the common feeling was nearly unanimous in that the bad this player brought to the RP greatly outweighed the good. This one player was making the RP less enjoyable for everyone. And we're talking 20-ish players here. Not because the writing was subpar, but because just the act of dealing with him and his characters was tiresome. I think the vote really helped in this scenario, even if it was only to have an open discussion.

However, it should be initiated by the GM, not the players. Obviously ;p

Sometimes I see roleplays with terrible GMs, and I ask them to leave. But they get all uppity about it.