As We Meet Again

7024D668-0093-4E56-8BF3-6818C6ABC2B8.gif
The silence echoed the room as Sunny laid in bed, her friend not yet speaking. When her words finally broke through the quiet room, Aj still didn't respond. It wasn't something she wanted to talk about, at least not right now. It was her own thoughts that she needed to battle. She had heard Jaxon's story, and even if she felt like there was still something he hadn't told her, she had to make peace with what she knew. Lottie was her closest friend— even if she did tell her, Lottie would not rationalize it with her, she'd encourage her to get on from Jaxon, that he wasn't worth it. But Aj had tried that for three years and nothing had worked.

Even the hot chocolate her friend sat beside her wasn't enough to have her reaching for it and spilling her emotions to her friends. She just felt numb. After waiting so long, after looking and searching and hoping he was okay, she had received an answer from Jaxon that only made her feel worse than if she hadn't ever found him. Perhaps it was just all of the emotions piling on from the night and all of the wounds reopened, but Aj didn't want to let the hot chocolate comfort her. She wanted to be sad, hoping that if she just laid in the bed as numb as she felt that maybe it would make the process of grieving go faster. That by some miracle she would wake up the next morning and feel good as new, but she knew nothing would give her that much healing overnight.

Sometime in the silence, Sunny fell asleep, still not saying anything to her friend in the chair. The next morning seemed to come too early, but Sunny was up before sunrise that day. Once her eyes open, everything came crashing back down and she remembered the night before. Her eyes were heavy from the tears in her argument, and her chest was still aching. A quick glance at her alarm clock and she realized that it was barely three in the morning. She looked towards where her friend slept, and quietly got out of her bed to not wake her.

Now that she was awake, there was no way she would be falling back asleep again. Even if she tried to lay back down and doze off, the sun would be up in a few hours and she would only feel more tired than if she started her day now. Gathering a pair of her clothes quietly, and even her journal to not come back in her room again, the blonde walked down the hall to the bathroom where she quietly shut the door and started a shower. Being so early in the morning and the walls being — thankfully — thick enough to not hear through easily, Aj took her time in the shower. She let her thoughts take over and relaxed her body as much as possible with the hot water hitting her skin, rubbing at the sore shoulders and back she had developed.

Once changed for the day, Aj had scooped her journal into her arm and made her way quietly to the back deck, not wanting to wake anyone in the house, both in respect and also to avoid confrontation. She wasn't really sure what her next move was. Would she avoid Jaxon again? Go back to pretending he didn't exist? Forgive and forget? Nothing seemed right, so instead she turned towards the thing that always helped her before, her journal.

Eloped in her writing, Sunny finally pulled her hand away after feeling the soreness beginning to swell. Rubbing her hand, she flipped through the pages she wrote. Emotions, thoughts, fears. She wrote about Jaxon, about her grandpa and about this new life that was going so well. She wrote anything that came to her mind, like she did each day. Understandably so, this entry was just a bit longer than the usual morning. As her hand took a break, her eyes looked around the back yard, watching the trees in the wind. It was still dark out, but the sun would be rising in the next hour.

Making her way back inside as she still thought to herself, she wondered what to do. She would have to decide because unfortunately, time was running out of being alone. Soon the others would wake up and Layke would ask how she was, Jaxon would stare at her sadly, and Lottie would encourage her to get out of the house. Maybe that was what she needed- to be out of the house and to get away from everyone.

Walking back towards her room, Aj didn't give it a second thought before she began packing a light backpack. She filled it with clothes, some bathroom essentials and of course her journal and chargers for devices. Once her small bag was packed, Aj turned towards her friend to gently shake her awake. "Lottie... Lottie, wake up," she whispered as she shook her shoulders softly. Once her eyes were open, Aj knelt down beside her to whisper. "I— I need to get out here. I'm going home for the weekend. I just need some fresh air and to be alone, think about things," she said, shrugging a bit.

"I just wanted you to know where I went," she said softly. "Don't- don't tell them where I went. I just need some space. I'll be back by Sunday," she said.

• • • • •
65FFCCD9-FD7D-49BC-BFA6-0108228104EA.gif
Layke wasn't sure what other response he could expect from his friend. He wasn't good at comforting, especially in this situation. What was he suppose to say to his friend? That he was sorry? That he would be there for him? It wasn't a normal break up- hell they weren't even dating. It was his mate. This woman that was made just for him. This woman that was his person who he had already lost once and now was slipping away from him again. How could he comfort him?

"Listen, you have to calm down," Layke said as his friend jumped up from the armchair. He had lost control plenty of times to recognize the warning signs. The last thing anyone needed was for him to lose his shit. "I mean— I guess that's your decision. She's your mate, man," Layke sighed. He was right, there were a couple others in the pack who had humans as their mates and they knew. It was always so tricky. There was no real reason why they couldn't tell Lottie or Sunny aside from the fear. They'd lose them for sure if they thought they were lying or even turned them into the looney bin.

"But you also have to think about all that comes with telling them," Layke said as his friend relaxed a little. "They have to keep the secret too, and everything that comes with the secret," he said. "I am all for telling them if I knew that it wouldn't hurt them more, but think about how much it's fucked our life up. I mean you had to leave everyone behind because you were afraid of hurting them. You know better than anyone that one wrong move and everyone around you could be gone," he said.

"It wouldn't just be your life on the brims anymore, it would be hers. If you have to pack your bags and leave again because of something like last time, she has to pack up and go with you. If you accidentally lost your shit, she has to cover you. They have this pull to us, but they don't feel the same connection as we do with them. That loyalty, the constant string keeping us connected isn't like that with them. Their emotions aren't heightened the ways ours are," he said.

Layke pauses as he heard the door open, staying quiet until he heard the sound of footsteps move back to AJ's room at the end of the hall. Once Jaxon spoke up again, Layke shook his head and sighed. "Before you let her move on, you should probably figure out if you're willing to move on too," he said.

He understood the conflicting feelings Jaxon was having about telling Aj. It would make some things so much easier for the girls to know. They'd understand why Jaxon left, why he felt like it would protect her. They'd understand why he couldn't give her an answer for years. But there were risks to it of course. Neither had really decided if the risks were worth it though.

Jaxon

Jaxon quietly listened to his friend's response, hating just how right he was. His control was a lot better, but what if something happened that did cause them to have to move? It wouldn't just be his life anymore that was affected, but Sunny's too. He couldn't do that to her. If he lost control, it would mean a new town, a new job... a whole new life. While he knew everywhere and anywhere would be willing to take on a doctor, he was also aware that short spurts between new jobs wouldn't look good.

"Why does that matter? I don't care about what I want anymore, I just want-- I just want what's best for her. If that's her moving on, then so be it. I'd be in pain for the rest of my life if it meant she was happy." He looked up to his friend, watching him carefully, "You have Lottie in there who is your mate too. You can't tell me that you don't feel the same way."

Not sure if he would be able to talk about it anymore, Jaxon moved to walk past his friend. He paused when level with him, a hand raising to rest on his shoulder before patting it twice and removing. "By the way, she stinks of you now... I guess that means that something's going well for at least one of us." He smiled tiredly. Patting his arm once more, Jaxon slipped past to finally take a shower - wishing that he had done that in the first place rather than sitting around and getting involved in Jordan and Sunny's business.

The rest of the night saw little sleep for Jaxon too, who tossed and turned throughout the night. His eyes shot open at the sound of footsteps and the shower turning on, Sunny's scent slipping under the door to tempt him into going out to speak to her again. But the werewolf knew that was the last thing that was needed or wanted. He had already created so much damage, he didn't need to inflict any more. So he stayed still, fingers tightening around the pillow under his head as he simply listened to her movements. When the back door opened and closed, he was wide awake, both in wanting to know what his mate was doing and the possessive protectiveness he felt of wanting to make sure she was safe.

At some point, he drifted off to sleep with the thoughts of Sunny on his mind.

The next morning, he didn't dare move from his room until around just gone nine in the morning, wanting to ensure that Sunny had done what she had needed to that morning. He came out to begin making some coffee, exhaling heavily and rubbing at his face with exhaustion.

Charlotte

Lottie blinked open her eyes as she was woken up by her friend, frowning sleepily at the sight of her all dressed and a rucksack on her shoulder. She reached out for her friend's hand, propping herself up on her other elbow as she stifled a yawn, "I'm not going to stop you," she said in a whisper, giving her hand a squeeze, "But just... please take care of yourself Sunny. Don't do anything stupid and-- and text me when you get home, okay? If I don't hear from you every twelve hours I will be driving down there myself." She threatened, although whether it sounded serious or not was another matter considering the sleepiness to her voice.

Once her friend had gone, Lottie collapsed back onto the bed with a heavy sigh. Her hands moved to rub at her face and then her eyes. Now awake, she knew she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep now that her mind was once more active. The memories of her time with Layke yesterday were already coming back to torment her. She moved to pull the other pillow over her face, pressing down hard on it as she fought back against the lump in her throat before shoving it away again.

Crawling reluctantly out of bed, she stripped down Sunny's bed and put the sheets in the hamper. Soon after, she put on some fresh sheets and gave her room a little tidy, hoping that the little gesture would make her friend feel somewhat better when she decided to come back.

Not hearing anyone else awake yet, the vet student made a dash for the shower despite having one the night before. The hopes of another hot shower would help rinse away the night before were not founded, as Lottie knew she would always be teased by the images in her mind. She honestly couldn't get dressed quick enough when back in Sunny's room, stuffing her things back in her bag and abruptly zipping it up as her emotions slowly began to get the best of her.

Soon, but no soon enough for her liking, Lottie was closing the door to Sunny's bedroom behind her to make a break for the front door, ignoring the sounds in the kitchen which she soon saw to be Jaxon. She bit her tongue hard to not say anything, but her hard expression was probably a statement enough.

Hex Code (Jaxon): #9a7f7e
Hex Code (Lottie): #506e68

5AA47E42-6211-4A3F-8991-275582F0D0E2.gif
Her friends words were greeted with a small nod, smiling back at her again. She was lucky to have someone who cared so much about her. She was just glad that she had found such a loyal friend, even during some of the craziest years of her life. "I will keep you updated. I think I just need some new scenery for a few days," Aj responded.

Once she had grabbed her bag, Sunny left out the bedroom door, quietly shutting it before making her way towards the front door. She could hear movement in the kitchen, and her heart stopped in fear that it would be Jaxon, but she was much more relieved to see Layke's head pop around the corner. He smiled at her softly, and she felt like he was trying not to hurt her feelings. Whatever Jaxon was still hiding from her, Layke knew it. She didn't want to be upset with him, always telling Lottie that it wasn't him to blame. She still believed that, but she didn't have enough in her heart to pretend that it didn't hurt still.

"Where are you going?" Layke asked, his eyes fixing on her backpack with concern. He hoped that their fight hadn't caused her to pack and move out, but he wasn't sure he'd be surprised. It was a rough argument, but he knew how devastating it would be for Jaxon. Of course his friend may say that he only cared about her feelings, which was possible, but it didn't mean the loss of his mate would be any easier to deal with. If anything, he imagined it would be more difficult to handle.

"I just need to get out of town for a bit. I think we both need the space," she replied, her lips barely able to lift themselves to form the smile she was returning. "I'll be back.. I just can't right now," she said, turning to leave through the front door.

The drive itself was always beautiful. The roads were curvy and hilly. The trees were bright with leaves and it reminded her of driving through the mountains. Only being about an hour and a half from her new home, the place Sunny grew up in wasn't a very large area. It was small enough that nearly everyone recognized her car as she pulled in. Driving past the farmers market she was reminded of the sweet smell of fresh peaches and other fruits and veggies, along with all of the familiar faces from when she'd walk down to visit them. Even after moving away from here, it was still home to her.

Making a last minute decision to come was a surprise to her mom, but she was happy to make up her spare room for a few days. The first part of the day, of course after texting Lottie, was spent catching up with her mom. She told her all about school and work, and after awhile, her mother asked about the roommates she was living with. She hated bothering her mother or worrying her, but more than anything, she knew she needed her mom. So she sat and told her mom about Jaxon. About reuniting with him, about talking and catching up. She cried, again, and she told her mom about their fight. Just talking about it seemed to help get a lot off of her chest, but there was some type of comfort that only a mother could give.

The rest of the weekend was... quiet. She texted Lottie as often as she remembered to not worry her, but she stayed focused on relaxing and taking in the comfort of being back home. Her argument with Jaxon had opened a lot of boxes that she had pushed away. She never allowed herself to grieve the people she lost that year, too caught up on finding reasons why he had left. To finally close that chapter of her life, Sunny spent the weekend remembering the times she spent around home. Despite the inflicting pain each time a memory popped up, the girl allowed herself to feel them.

Memories with her uncle down on the farm, with her grandpa at the farmers market, Wade at the river. She let herself remember how good it felt to be with them, and let herself feel how much it hurt to miss them. She visited their graves, taking flowers to them. She talked to them, cried for them, and grieved them.

Aj did not expect to leave that weekend moving on from their deaths, but was happy she was able to accept them. As the weekend came to an end, Aj knew she would have to go home eventually. She was glad she had gotten away for a few days though. It helped ease her mind to see her mother, visit the place that had built her into who she was. Even though she still had no better idea as to how she would now be with Jaxon, she felt that her heart was a little less heavy.

—————

It was evening before Aj arrived back home, though. She had messaged Lottie that she was headed back, and just as she turned her car off she sent her another message to let her know that she was back at the house. She had work the next morning, so she didn't assume her friend would come over, but knew she'd still worry if she didn't at least tell her that she was back in town.

Walking through the front door, she was greeted by the smell of maple bacon and wondered what type of concoction Layke had managed to whip up now.

• • • • •
B190E3DC-224C-4AB4-8327-16E21143F07B.gif
Layke knew that Jaxon was right. As much as they'd hate themselves and having to be without their mates, their mates being happy was the only thing that he knew would satisfy him. Without Lottie being happy, nothing else would be worth it.

As his friend left, he sighed, his hands pulling through the locks of his hair. That night had turned into the best night of his life to feeling like everything was slipping through his fingers again. One moment Lottie had been in his arms and he had been content. He had finally got her and then there was this mess of things again. He couldn't blame Sunny or even Jaxon. He wanted his friend to be happy too, he just wasn't sure how they would work that out with Sunny. They were so close to being this normal group. There was even hope that Sunny would fall for Jaxon again, but just like life was teasing them, it was ripped away again.

The next morning Layke had gotten up to the sound of movement in the shower. While there may not usually have been any noise to wake him up, he had the wolf half of him to thank for the super hearing that had his ears perking at every move. Once he was up, he could smell Aj moving around and assumed she hadn't slept well. Deciding to take a run to get some steam off, he dressed into shorts and a tank top before heading out the front door quietly.

He had spent all night longing for Lottie. After having her in his arms, smelling the sweet smell of her skin, neither him or his wolf was happy about being forced away from her. Now that he had had her in every way he could, her scent was even more prominent than before. Even through the doors and blankets and forced away thoughts, his mind remained on hers the entire time.

The next morning, he happened to get back just before Aj was walking through the door. After his brief conversation with her, he went back to making his cereal bowl and thinking of how Jaxon would react. Despite his reassurance that whatever made Aj happy would be enough to satisfy him, he knew how much it would hurt to have her leave after reuniting. He couldn't imagine having Lottie taken away from him, even just a trip away seemed unbearable to his inner-wolf.

Since Jaxon was not yet awake and he didn't want to disturb Lottie from her sleep when he wasn't even sure she was speaking to him, Layke headed towards his car that he needed to work on that day anyway. It wasn't but a little while longer before his ears perked at the sound of a shower running, his nose picking up the intense scent of his mate. His wolf howled to be near her, but he stayed outside to hopefully get a chance to talk to her before she ran off. He wasn't sure what to say as he normally was the one running out after sleeping with someone. This was different though. She had to feel the same, right?

Once the door opened and his eyes spotted Lottie, he put down his wrench to step out from behind the car and greet her. "
Lottie— can-can we talk about last night?"

Last edited:

Jaxon

Jaxon had been rather the shell of himself for the entirety of the weekend. After realising that Sunny wasn't in her room and Lottie was nowhere to be found so he could ask her what was going on, he began to panic. He began to worry if he had really lost her this time, worrying if she was okay and if she was safe.

Then it hit him like a tonne of bricks.

This was exactly how Sunny felt when he left without a single explanation. It had to have been. This fear, this anxiety was unlike anything he had ever experienced before. To think that his mate potentially went through it for all those years had his hear breaking into thousands of tiny pieces.

It was a relief when Layke finally told him that he had seen Sunny leaving and what the girl had said. Still, he couldn't completely relax, not after everything that had transpired. That being said, he knew he had to keep himself busy and simply... hope that Sunny would come back eventually. Although if she did, there would be the possibility that she would ask to leave and Jaxon wouldn't blame her. As he had said to Layke all he wanted was for his mate to be happy.

So Jaxon worked, picking up an extra shift so he worked the entire weekend and stayed late into the night before returning home to simply enter the garage there to work on his restoration project. At least that was how it was for the first night before he remembered Sunny's words and advice about not selling the car.

If she really did leave this time, he knew he wouldn't be able to keep the vehicle. It would have to be sold on, as it now held Sunny's smile and voice within it.

The morning on Sunny's return, Jaxon had just returned from his morning run and was sat outside on the steps leading up to the back porch. He had pushed himself hard during that morning work out, finding that the pain of doing so helped block out some of the pain that flared back each time he saw Sunny's tearful gaze or replayed her words which were said with a thick voice.

Sighing heavily, he pushed himself to his feet and returned inside just as the front door opened. He halted in his steps at the sight of his mate, his wolf howling at the sight of seeing her again and longing to rush forward to wrap her up in his arms. Yet he didn't. Instead, he forced a smile to his lips and quickly continued on his way to his room with his heart racing. He knew he would be the last person she would wish to see.

Charlotte

Lottie froze upon hearing Layke's voice just to the side of her, wincing ever so slightly at the sound of the wrench meeting the ground and his footsteps. She had hoped to avoid him, not needing to have to deal with her own emotional anguish when Sunny clearly was in no state to help her through it. She found it better helping other people with their emotions, rather than focusing on her own. But with Sunny gone and no one else around for her to focus on, Lottie knew she would soon begin to drown.

Taking a deep breath, she readjusted the strap of her bag on her shoulder and pivoted on the ball of her foot to face him. Her eyes ran over him, once more drinking him in and admiring him. It scared her to have such intense emotions toward someone she had only known for a few months. Nothing could ever compare to how she was beginning to feel for Layke.

And yet...

"No, I don't think so." She answered stiffly, voice tight as she worked her words around the lump that had already formed back in her throat. "I know what last night was and I-- I should have known sooner. I should have seen it sooner." She could barely keep her eyes on him, they were at least dry but body almost seeming to shiver with the hurt that she was feeling. "Take advantage of that tension between us to--to distract me-- with you while Jaxon gets as much time as possible with her. I should have known it was just all some-- some fucking plan that you both concocted for him to get that time with Sunny."

She gave a bitter laugh, head shaking and swallowing back the tears, "I thought it was weird that you offered your shower to me and not Jordan, but I looked past that. I'd thought--" She cut herself off, teeth gritting and muscle jumping in her jaw, "All I have to say to you is congratulations, you really did a fucking good job." She yanked the strap of her bag further up onto her shoulder, "I hope you're both fucking pleased with yourselves."

With a final, cutting look, Lottie turned once more and strode away from him, hand raising to the top of her head where her sunglasses were perched to pull them down over eyes that were finally brimming with tears.

-------

The weekend had been an odd one for Lottie, who didn't follow her usual weekend pattern. She'd skipped the gym, and spent all of Saturday wrapped up in throw blankets watching animal documentaries and reading. She thought that perhaps it was a blessing that Sunny did leave for the weekend, at least it meant she too could avoid the house and the one male within it. With that thought in mind, Lottie found her hand reaching for her phone to text Tinder Guy - Isaac. They ended up going out on a date, which turned into her going back to his place.

Then they slept together.

Lottie thought it would help in some way, help her get her mind from Layke and forget that night. But that moment it was all over with Isaac, Lottie regretted it. She wondered what she had done and why she had really gone to that sort of effort to try and forget. Because, inevitably, she knew the reason. She had wanted Layke. She had wanted him in every way, emotionally, physically, mentally... she wanted him to be hers and instead she felt used.

That night with Isaac, Lottie went home and showered. She stood under the hot water and scrubbed until her skin felt raw, when she got out, she saw her eyes were bloodshot and as red as her skin. She had been crying under the spray and had been too numb to even notice it.

When, on that same night, she heard her phone ping and saw the text from Sunny, she wasn't exactly sure what to feel first. Reassurance that her friend was okay, or dread because it meant having to go back to that house and potentially face Layke.

Lottie prided herself on being strong; on being the stoic bitch that could hold a mean poker face and be brutally honest to any asshole giving her grief. Yet the mere thought of going to that house hurt. The possibility of seeing Layke sent pains in her chest that Lottie hadn't felt since her father died.

However, as she had done time and time again, Lottie pushed and shoved her own emotions into a box where they could barely fit and slammed down on the lid. The morning Sunny arrived home, Lottie forced herself up and out of bed to get changed and freshen up. Then there was a choice she had to make - did she dress how she felt, or dress in a way that showed Layke what he was missing?

If she dressed how she felt, Sunny would immediately know something was wrong because that outfit choice would consist of sweatpants and a comfortable sweatshirt with her hair in two braids from the top of her head. And she couldn't allow her friend to know anything was wrong, not with the shit show she herself had going on with Jaxon and fuck knows what else.

So Lottie forced herself into the shower, preparing herself to face Layke after that night.

--------

Soon the vet student was at the door and knocking on it, dressed to kill, as it were. Ankle boots to accentuate her legs, dark denim jeans that hugged the curves of her body (mainly her ass) and a black skin tight spaghetti strap top with a black and red checked flannel over the top so it didn't look like she was purposefully dressing like this. Dark sunglasses hid her eyes for now, which were only slightly red now compared to what they were before and could easily be blamed on eye drops taken for hayfever.

Last edited:
F732A9C9-4462-4B13-98CA-FBB860258D71.gif
The reaction from Jaxon was... Well, Sunny wasn't sure if it was what she expected or not. She had, despite her best intentions to make a decision, avoided the reality of her consequences of finally losing her lid the few days prior. The part of her still hurt and angry by his disappearance and by, what seemed like, his lack of compassion towards her when he first left, was happy she had finally stood up for herself. The years she had worked on herself and her own mentality finally paid of. Lottie's confidence had finally clashed well enough with Sunny's strong opinions to form this being who was brave enough to say what was on her mind. The part of her that was afraid of confrontation was kicking herself in the butt for doing something so scandalous, knowing that it could cost her a great fortune in the future, at least with her emotions.

Her eyes followed the back of Jaxon's head as he walked away from her, her bag slipping slightly off of her shoulder as she stood in silence. After a moment of realization, she shook her head in attempt to regain herself. Perhaps he just... didn't care. Maybe he had accepted her outburst of anger and moved on. Was she overthinking as she often did? Did he even think about her outburst after it happened? She had always been one to dwell on things. Maybe she had been worried the entire weekend and he simply forgot about it, and his smile was that of greeting as he would have on any other day. Was Aj thinking too much into her outburst or was her worries valid? Did she want them to be valid or would it be easier if he had forgotten already?

The thought shot through her mind like fireworks as they popped away with concern, but Aj shocked them off as well as she could to make her way down the hall behind him, stopping to turn into her own bedroom. The fresh smell of clean linens on her bed greeted her happily as she realized her friend must have done it over her days away. Internally grateful, Aj smiled and sat her bag on the dresser to begin unpacking.

The ringing of the doorbell perked her ears, curiousity getting the best of her, though the assumption she made was confirmed when her bedroom window peeked her best friend's car in the lot. Eager to see her and catch up, hoping to hear about some drama aside from her own, she exchanged her tennis shoes for sandals. After a few minutes of no Lottie scooting through her door, the blonde's eyebrows raised in curiosity and made her way to the front door, opening it wide to peer out in humor, a smile playing on her lips. "Hey.." she said with a small chuckle.

• • • • •

0919E5BD-8064-44B6-9813-800DCDD54B3A.gif
The weekend had been terribly slow for Layke. Without Sunny around, Lottie stayed her distance from the house, making it nearly impossible for Layke to concentrate on anything. His wolf was going mad trying to hold onto him, eager to just go out and search for his mate, but Layke knew that it was the worst thing he could do. Her angry words before disappearing the morning after their encounter had confirmed that she thought even less of him now. He was so angry at himself for not being able to just tell Lottie the truth and defend himself when she convicted him of only sleeping with her so that Jaxon and Sunny could talk. She did not realize how far from the truth she was, but without telling her everything, she'd never believe him.

He had spent the weekend working out, keeping his wolf satisfied with the physical exercise, and his own mind calm with the blaring of music through the headphones. He had barely gotten any sleep, fearful that he had screwed up and ruined any chance of being with Lottie now. His mind had been so overwhelmed with thoughts about his own mate, he had hardly formed enough words to have a conversation with Jaxon about Aj, though he was never around long enough to talk about it either.

The relationship between the four of them had gone from this awkward tension to a really great friendship and now, in a matter of moments, everything was back to square one again. He had always said that if Aj had decided to move out, he wouldn't blame her, though after the progress between her and Jaxon's relationship, he didn't think that it would ever happen. Now he stood on his toes in fear of losing a great friendship he had developed with Sunny, and the bond he now had with his mate.

The day that Sunny was suppose to be home, Layke tried to spend as much time as he could out of the house, but by ten he was back inside fiddling with his baking equipment, hoping that Sunny would bring Lottie in the door with her. The opening of the door pulled Sunny's scent towards him, but he was disappointed with the lack of his mates scent.

Layke wasn't sure Sunny was up for chatting, and assumed she'd want a minute to unpack and settle in, so he didn't reach out to her upon her arrival. Instead, he continued mixing his cupcakes and distracting his tense muscles with worries of Lottie. Not knowing where she was or who she was with or if she was safe had been hell all weekend. He only held on this long in hopes that he'd see her with Sunny getting back. It was only minutes later when Layke's ears perked as he recognized a car pulling into the lot. His eyes darted up and his wolf howled to go towards his mate, but instead he took a calm breath to relax himself.

The knock on the door lasted only a moment before his hand couldn't help but pull it open, too eager to see Lottie's face. Of course she looked amazing, as usual. His wolf whines as they ached to reach out to touch her soft skin and bring her closer to him, but he didn't want to scare her off. Without a thought of what he was doing with himself, Layke stepped through the door frame towards Lottie and pulled the door shut behind him, his hand remaining on the handle.

His eyes peeled down over her, searching through the glasses over her eyes to see his mate. He hadn't thought of what he'd say, and honestly didn't expect to have a moment to say anything, but here he was in front of her and he had to take the opportunity. "I didn't have sex with you so that Jaxon could have some time with Sunny. I don't know what kind of person you think I am, but it's not that," he blurted out, feeling his chest raise. He had been worried all weekend. What if that was truly all she thought of him? What did he do to deserve that? Sure he wasn't the best guy, but he wasn't cruel. "Hell, I didn't even know they were going to talk. I offered you the shower because shit, I actually fucking liked you Lottie. Despite your best intentions, you're not that unbearable to be around and I actually enjoy your company. You can't tell me you didn't feel some type of similar feeling towards me or you wouldn't have slept with me either. You might be a hard ass but you can't tell me you didn't want that either," he said, feeling himself get defensive. He had always been hard headed, and once his mouth opened, he always said how he felt. It was both a blessing and a curse. "And if you didn't then maybe we were both wrong about each other," he said. "You can be pissed at me for whatever the hell you've came up with to make me the bad guy in your story to make you feel better, but you can't tell me that you really believe it," he said. "Aside from what is going on between those two," he pointed inside, "I haven't been the bad guy here," he said.

The door opening interrupted anything else about to spew from his mouth, thankfully. He hasn't even realized he was exploding until the door turned his head towards Sunny and his cheeks turned red with embarrassment. He was kicking himself in the back for his outburst, blinking as he looked back towards Lottie. He meant everything he said, but his tongue always got him in trouble with the truth. What would she think of him now?

Charlotte

Instinctively, Lottie took a step back as Layke stepped out. Her heart froze in place and refused to beat, a coldness stiffened her body and the air felt like it had been stolen from her lungs. While she knew she would undoubtedly see him, it didn't mean that any mental preparation she did would help her for that moment. She had been trying to keep herself calm and composed; sternly telling herself that she didn't need to let him get to her the way he did. She had been hurt before and had survived it, this would be no different.

Yet it was. Because this was Layke. And she had thought...

Well, it didn't matter what she thought now, because things were too fucked up beyond repair.

However, despite her intentions to keep her chin up, her head bowed so her eyes - despite being hidden behind glasses - avoided his as he spoke. The pain in her heart bloomed across her chest and crawled up into her throat, forming a lump there that was soon difficult to swallow around. Immediately she was grateful the glasses, as she squeezed her eyes shut while raising her head again and shoving her hands into front pockets of her jeans.

She refused to cry in front of him. One because then her whole stoic, pissed-off bitch act would be ruined and two, because Sunny would see the tears and then she'd have to explain everything.

As much as she wanted to, Lottie couldn't bring herself to believe a word he had said. How could he enjoy her company and actually have liked her after everything? She had fallen for those lines before and it got her into a steaming pile of shit. She had thought that, perhaps, this once, she could feel something for a guy and not be made out to be a complete tool afterwards. No matter what he said, it felt like she would never be able to shake off her beliefs that a guy would only be nice to her because they wanted something in return.

She wanted so badly to believe what he said, to forget how shit she had felt over the entire weekend - not helped by how she tried to distract herself with Isaac - and it seemed like it could so easy. But she knew she would always be wondering if he was just sweet talking her and lying to her to stay on her good side so, when Jaxon needed him to, he could distract her to keep her away from Sunny.

Perhaps it stemmed from that relationship during her lowest point, but that fear was a part of her now.

Her eyes remained on him even when the door opened and Sunny stepped out, wanting so badly to release everything that was on her chest and weighing her down so heavily. But she couldn't, not with Sunny around. She still wasn't sure if she could tell her friend about what happened; AJ already had enough on her mind.

"You-- you just don't get it."
She answered, but her voice was not as strong as it was when she was usually biting back. It was quiet, wavering, uncertain.

Watching him for a second more, the vet student finally shook her head and gently pushed past him to take a step up into the house, joining Sunny on the inside. "Good to have you back, did you enjoy your time at home?" She forced a stronger smile to her lips, though it was strained, "Do you wanna chill here or go grab a bite?"

[/div]

5054024F-65CE-4602-A53A-DC6A6EFE8A77.gif
Sunny has not expected to see Layke outside on the porch with Lottie, so as she stood staring between, she wasn't sure what to say. She was missing something, obviously, but what was it? Her eyebrows furrowed slightly in curiosity, for a few moments her mind forgetting all about Jaxon as her concern set in on her friend. The soft, shaking of her voice brought worry to Sunny, eager to fix whatever had been broken. Had she truly been such bad of a friend that she had missed something that had hurt Lottie? What was going on between her and Layke?

After Lottie stepped back towards her, Aj's eyes glanced down towards her and then back at Layke's. "Um, I'm not really hungry. Do you want to just... Let's go to my room," she offered, stepping back to let her friend in beside her. She had felt sick after driving home, always getting a little car sick with the curves and hills of the familiar road, and frankly was just too tired from the weekend and her endless thoughts to go out anywhere. If they stayed in her room they could have enough privacy to talk or turn on a film if they weren't ready to talk yet.

As they walked down the cooridor, Aj turned her head back to glance at Layke, her eyebrows slightly scrunched as she tried to connect the dots that she was obviously missing. Turning straight again, the blonde led her friend back to the bedroom she had just came from. The silence was deadly, only the click of the door shutting behind them was heard before AJ moved to sit on her bed. She pulled a leg underneath her and a throw pillow on her lap to tug at the decorating strings. "So.. How was your weekend?" she asked, eyebrow raising. "That was a little... Intense. What am I missing there?" she asked, eyebrow raising at her friend.

C89EB94A-F6A1-441D-A705-4412276B2B79.gif
Layke had been so focused on getting this heaviness of his chest that he hadn't even heard Aj coming towards the door. The opening of it embarrassed him, unsure whether Lottie had told her friend of their encounter if she had yet to. Regardless, he hated having to say what he had to Lottie. A million thoughts ran through his mind, his wolf still conflicting with himself and who he was. Part of him, the part who he had always been, was too stubborn to let her be angry at him. He felt that he had been good to her. From just overhearing her and Aj's previous conversations here and there, she didn't have the best luck with guys. He didn't treat her like them though.

He and Lottie had talked, like truly talked. They had real, raw conversations, which he hadn't had with someone aside from his pack in a long time. He made her laugh, he always tried to be good to her. Sure, sometimes he may have flirted a little too much, but he didn't think he had ever made Lottie uncomfortable around him, at least he hoped not. He thought what they had was good, after she moved past him knowing about Jaxon leaving AJ many years ago. Their relationship grew as a friendship, but she was crazy to deny that it also grew in other ways. Now that they had sex she was letting so many other things fog her feelings because she was just afraid of liking him back and knowing that he would treat her better than those other guys.

His wolf wanted to prove to her that he was different. He wanted to touch her hand softly and remind her that he wasn't going to leave, even when she asked him to. He wanted to prove that he would stay with her until she realized that they were just meant to be together and show her that he wasn't the other guys that she feared. It whined because he hated knowing that she truly thought so little of herself, because other guys had broken her, that she didn't think his words could be true about caring for her.

He wasn't sure how he would have to change her mind and convince her that he was the good guy and that he wasn't going to leave, but he knew he would somehow.

After watching Aj and Lottie walk away, Layke moved back into the kitchen where he kept himself moving with his baking, though his ears were perched as he heard the soft voices of the girls in Sunny's room.

Charlotte

"Nothing." Immediately Lottie went on the defensive, dismissing Sunny's question and trying to push past it, "My weekend was... fine. Everything's fine. I... saw Tinder Guy, that was about it." She cleared her throat, collapsing into the armchair her friend had in the corner. Her eyes averted, playing the with the corner hem of her plaid shirt.

Her mind briefly drifted, replaying Layke's face in her thoughts as she struggled with how she was feeling. She wanted, so badly, to believe that he was different. She had believed he was different. For the first time in years she had allowed herself to open up and feel something terrifyingly real for someone else in that way. Yet now it felt like it had all been fake. There was not just the emotional turmoil of her feeling like he had used her, but also the fear of allowing him any further into her heart. She had seen how much Jaxon had hurt Sunny, Lottie knew from experience what it felt to be used and brokenhearted. She never wanted to feel that way again.

She also couldn't drag Sunny into it. She was already having to put up with Jaxon as a roommate, she couldn't let her stupid mistake effect her friend's life. Lottie could only hope that Layke wouldn't be idiotic enough to mention it himself.

"How was home? Did you have a good time? Clear your head?"
Lottie finally asked, glancing up to her with another smile.

Jaxon

After hearing the two girls enter the house and soon disappear into Sunny's room, Jaxon dared to venture out. He didn't want to stay cooped up in his room and avoid the areas that Sunny may be in, but at the same time he didn't want to make her uncomfortable. Their fight had hurt, and he wanted nothing more than to make sure she was okay, maybe even apologise, but he had to wonder if that would make any difference. Perhaps things were too far gone now, that fragile bridge they had built burnt to ashes.

It made his wolf whine to think about it, especially with knowing how close they had become. Maybe it wasn't anything like how it was in high school, but it was better than avoiding each other and not talking. However, that's what it had once again become - not talking.

Exhaling heavily, he left his bedroom with a towel slung over his shoulder, fully intending to head for a shower. However he paused as he glanced into the kitchen to see Layke baking. Although seemingly distracted.

Jaxon glanced down the hall toward the bedrooms before entering the kitchen, moving across to his friend to rest a hand on his shoulder, "Hey, you alright?" He asked, "Lottie's here, isn't she? How's everything between you both, have you talked since... y'know?"

3767ADAC-C9AD-4252-A803-6274F8F59033.gif
The quick dismissal was not convincing enough to Aj. She raised a curious eyebrow and crossed her arms. "I believe you about only seeing Tinder guy, but there's something I'm missing. What aren't you telling me and why?" she said, leaning back against the headboard of her bed. Lottie always held more of her feelings back than Aj. If Aj trusted someone like she did Lottie, she wasn't afraid to open up. Lottie was different in that aspect. "You know you can tell me anything," she cooed, wondering if her friend was afraid she'd judge her. She never had in the past and never would. Lottie was everything to Sunny, and would always support her.

"You didn't really think that you were going to convince me to drop it with just that, did you? That was a little tense out there between you and Layke... Oh my god. Did you hook up with him?" she squealed, her eyes widening as she connected the dots. "Lottie! Why wouldn't you tell me?" she said, sitting straight up from her bed again so she could stare down her friend. Of course that was why she hadn't mentioned it. Jaxon. "Listen, me and Jaxon — We're nothing. But that doesn't mean that you should hold back with Layke. I would hate myself if my history with Jaxon ruined something you could have with Layke. I mean—I just am in total shock," she said with a small chuckle.

Not-so-secretly, Sunny had been rooting for Lottie and Layke. They were obviously attracted to each other and they seemed to work well with one another. Lottie always seemed to hold back, and Aj knew it had to do with her history with Jaxon and not wanting to make anything else between the our of them more awkward, but Aj had beat her to it. "I'm not saying you have to go marry the guy, but don't blame him for things he had nothing to do with," she said. She knew Lottie wasn't someone who spoke about their feeling as often as she did, so she wouldn't push the subject matter anymore until she did.

"Home was good, though. I didn't really solve any of the issues I was hoping to while I was gone," she admitted, looking towards the door. "One day at a time," she shrugged. "Do you think I was out of line?" she asked her friend.

0BFE96C6-0B2F-436D-873F-425949A02A08.gif
The skin on Layke's body was moist as he tried to concentrate on anything other than Lottie's prominent scent. He thought it was difficult being away from her, but he was tortured with her just a few rooms away and no intention of speaking to him. At least he could hear Sunny vouching for him.

He was pulled out of his trance when he felt Jaxon's hand on his shoulder. Turning to glance at him, he sighed and shoved his cupcakes in the oven before grabbing a beer. "Oh yeah, when I imploded on her and completely ruined any chance of her ever forgiving me or giving me another chance," he said, his eyes rolling as he beat himself up. "I just feel like every time I get where I want to be, something fucks it up. What happened to it being easy after you find your mate?" he said, snorting as he sat back on the chair in the living room.

Glancing at his friend, he knew that Jaxon knew it just as well as he did. "What are you going to say to Sunny?" he asked, taking a drink of the glass bottle he held in hand.

Charlotte

"Nothing can happen between me and Layke, Sunny, just drop it." Lottie spoke sharply but immediately regretted it, her hands came up to rub her face. A long breath was released, but it wobbled, and she knew she was dangerously close to letting her emotions get the better of her, "I'm... I'm sorry, Sunny. I just-- I don't want to talk about it, okay? The hook-up was a mistake; clearly it was just an excuse to keep me away from you because... because it happened while you and Jaxon were getting into it, alright?" She eventually confessed.

She couldn't even look at her friend, not because she thought Sunny would judge her - it was obvious that was far from the truth considering how excited AJ actually was about it happening. However the more that Lottie said out loud that Layke had only been trying to distract her... the harder she was finding it to believe. But she knew she had to believe it, because she didn't dare act again on how she felt for him.

It was easier to push him away first before he realised just how fucked up she was.

"I just... I should never have let it happen. S'like what I said, it just created one big mess." She cleared her throat, trying to dislodge the lump that had formed in her throat.

Grateful then for the question about what happened, Lottie eagerly focused on that, not wanting things to be about her anymore. "Not at all. You've had all that pent up inside you for so long. It was about time the boy had what was coming to him. He deserved to know how you were feeling... now hopefully he's got it in his head just how badly he fucked up and it won't be as easy as he thinks to win your good side again."

Jaxon

Jaxon raised an eyebrow at the beer, considering that it had barely gone noon, but kept his mouth shut. It wasn't his place to say anything and he knew Layke would be sensible, so if a beer or two helped him through whatever he was feeling just this once and it didn't turn into anything else... then fine.

"It's easier when your mate is another werewolf and you don't have to keep secrets from them,"
Jaxon pointed out, following him into the lounge, collapsing onto the sofa and allowing his towel to lay over his hips, "it's also easier when your friend hasn't fucked up with his mate who has an overprotective friend who turns out to be your mate." He grinned weakly, rubbing the back of his neck, "I'm sure something'll work out though, Layke. Surely nothing that bad happened?"

He then sighed, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees and hands rubbing over his face. "I don't know... I just... If she's not comfortable to me being around or talking to me then I don't want to force conversation on her, y'know? But at the same time I can't bear the idea of her not talking to me again, not after how well we were doing."

B0223437-8915-43F5-B284-116127345765.gif
Sunny wasn't at all surprised when Lottie began snippy. They had been friends for far too long for Aj to not always be prepared for Lottie's sassy attitude, especially when the possibility of emotions and feelings were brought up about a guy. She didn't mind, and it always brushed off her shoulders easily. What she was really concerned about was how Lottie was so beat up about it.

Sunny had to admit.. it was strange for it to conveniently have happened when Aj and Jaxon got into their argument, but she knew they couldn't be related. Aj had started the fight. Jaxon hadn't. He wouldn't have known it would have been an opportunity to talk because Jordan was there anyway. Lottie knew that deep down as well, but Aj knew she just needed time to accept it first. There wasn't any rush, anyway.

"You know, I started the fight, right?" she confessed. She didn't want her friend to think that Jaxon tried convincing her to get back together or anything of the sort. She took full responsibility for the interaction because she was the one who just couldn't hold it in any longer, even if it was deserved like Lottie said. "Jordan was being an ass and I was angry. Jaxon was just being nice. He was being the Jaxon I remember, and I couldn't stop all of those feelings from coming back, so I finally exploded," she said with a sigh.

Although she felt partially better getting everything off her chest, Sunny still wasn't sure about it. "We were doing so good though. I mean, we were at a good place and then I had to fuck it up and be emotional. I mean, what could I have expected to get out of it?" she asked, rolling her eyes. "it shouldn't be about getting on my good side. He was. It's been nice talking to him like we use to, and I feel like I ruined it because I decided to say something. I mean, I don't know. When I came in he just.. walked away. Maybe he hasn't thought about it since it happened and I'm just overthinking it, " she said, looking back at Lottie.

"
Do you think they talk about us like we talk about them?" she asked, raising an eyebrow as she cracked a small chuckle with the thought.

8719011C-B935-4F1E-8714-6813F9BF1D22.gif
Since shifting the first time, usually a little bit of alcohol helped take the edge off for Layke, especially when he had trouble controlling that part of himself. He probably drank more than he should have, and starting at noon wasn't the healthiest lifestyle, but he felt like he was going to explode if he didn't have a drink or get closer to Lottie, and the latter wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

Layke laughed a little at Jaxon's comment. Their life was so fucked up. It was nothing compared to how Layke would have ever seen himself before he turned. How did he get so screwed up into this mess? "I don't know, dude. I just couldn't stop myself when I started talking. I wanted to explain the situation and then— well you know how I am," he groaned, rolling his eyes. "I'm so fucking stupid. If she ever was considering talking to me again, it won't happen now," he admitted.

"Well, then just talk to her. Maybe her trip helped clear her mind and she just needed to get a lot off of her chest with you. Maybe the worst is over," he said, shrugging. "Sometimes all people need is to just be angry at you and tell you that to move on and feel better. Talk to her about it, just don't let your wolf take over and start staying stupid shit you can't take back," Layke said, taking another drink. The way their friendship had been growing, he couldn't imagine them not being friends now.

"Maybe we can all go out this weekend. Grab something at the bar and get out of the house. You should invite her, see where she stands with you," he said.

Charlotte

Lottie instantly froze, the nails that were being bitten had a reprieve as she looked up to AJ, "You... you started the fight? He-- he wasn't trying to win you back?" She asked quietly, dread finally settling in her stomach.

Oh what had she done? Now she really had fucked up. She really could have had this chance with Layke, and she had shoved him away thinking he had used her and manipulated her. And then... and then...

"I slept with Isaac over the weekend." She whispered, burying her head in the throw pillow that was once behind her back. It was like a heavy weight was pressing down on her chest, making it hard to breathe or even simply catch her breath.

When she finally looked up, her eyes had welled with tears and her nose was even slightly red, cheeks slowly becoming stained with the same colour, "Oh Sunny, I've fucked up so badly. I-- pushed Layke away cause I thought he was being a manipulative bastard and felt like shit all of the weekend so I-- I went on a date with Isaac and ended up sleeping within him cause, ya know, I thought it'd help me get over Layke but it didn't and now-- and now..." Lottie barely took a breath in her rambling, causing her to take a few short, sharp inhales afterwards before she released a long, audible exhale.

"I'm so fucking useless. So fucking useless!" The vet student scraped back her hair with both hands before she leaned forward, elbows resting on knees and hands wringing tightly together, "That's it. I've-- I've ruined it. There's no chance now. I-- maybe it's-- maybe it's a good thing I pushed him away, ya know. He can start moving on and I can't fucking hurt him anymore." She continued to fidget, leaning back in the armchair and rubbed at her upper arm, "I-- I don't think I can see Isaac again now either. The whole-- the whole situation is fucked. I've just... I've just completely fucked my chances with two nice guys."

Swallowing hard, she realised she had just ranted the entire time about herself and not even focused on Sunny. Even more guilt piled onto her chest and she rubbed her forehead, "Sorry I didn't... I didn't mean to make that all about me." She muttered, already regretting allowing her emotions to burst out like they did.

"I mean... he could just be giving you some space too. If you laid everything out on the table... maybe he's giving you the space he thinks you might want after getting all that out there. He might also need it too."
Lottie shook her head, keeping her eyes on her hands, "You're only going to find out by speaking to him about it... so maybe you should."

Jaxon

"Stranger things've happened. I never thought Sunny would literally walk right back into my life, I also never really thought she'd lay into me the way she did... but here we are." He grinned sheepishly, shrugging as he picked at some loose cotton on his towel, "I don't know... really the full story... but just give her some time, man. She might come around. She did before. She just... might be having some conflict of loyalty or whatever. Y'know, cause sleeping with you is kinda like sleeping with the enemy at this point." Jaxon shrugged.

He paused to consider his friend's words, mulling over them for a moment before finally nodding, "I just... I thought she might not want to talk to me but I guess you're right. I'll only... know that for sure until I actually try to speak to her myself." He supposed, sighing heavily.

The idea of them all going out was one that both piqued his interest but also made Jaxon hesitate. They were all on such rocky footing at the moment, so would alcohol really be a good mix? But perhaps Layke was right, getting out of the house may be a good idea.

"If I'm asking Sunny, and she does come... you realise she'll probably wanna bring Lottie too... are you... will you be okay with that? Or is that what you're hoping because you're just not sure about asking her yourself?"

9C2B378C-1172-4A6C-A018-C2ADEC51469C.gif
"No.. It was Jordan being an asshole and then I just lost all control that I had and I started it. Layke couldn't have known," Sunny answered, watching her friend, worriedly. After her next confession, Aj sighed and watched her friend beat herself up about it. "There's no way you could have known it wasn't him starting it. I should have told you and then this wouldn't have happened. I'm so sorry," she said.

"Hey—Hey, it's okay. That doesn't matter now. You know it wasn't his fault, and you are still single. You shouldn't feel guilty about going out with Isaac," she tried to reassure her friend. Her reaction had Aj moving to sit on the stool beside her friend, reaching a hand out to rub her shoulder as she continued. "Hey, stop it! You aren't useless and you know that! You haven't ruined anything, you just need to figure out for sure what you do want. Is it Layke? Is it Isaac?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "And talk to Layke. Maybe actually apologize," she nudged her shoulder playfully, knowing apologizing wasn't her easiest trait. "It was a misunderstanding is all. The way he was looking at you earlier, I don't think he's going to be mad at you for long," she replied.

"I don't care. My problem is nothing right now. It's on the back burner.. nothing else is going to happen right now, I just have to watch it play out for now. Yours takes priority," she smiled, nudging her again to ease the tension.

4AC26060-2906-410A-B6EA-116AA78B4739.gif
Layke laughed at Jaxon's enemy joke, knowing that in Lottie's eyes it was true, unfortunately. "If she doesn't want to talk, you'll know. But maybe the weekend did her some good to clear her mind and she'll be able to get past all the awkwardness that was left around before," he said, leaning forward in his chair to rest his elbows on his knees. He laughed at Jaxon's next words, shaking his head a bit. "You know me too well," he laughed.

"I guess I shouldn't be giving you advice I wouldn't take," he said shaking his head. "But I think it will be good. Maybe you'll be surprised by her response," he said with a shrug. Layke imagined what it would be like going out with the four of them. A couple weeks ago and it would have been a great time. They would have all probably ordered and at around the table talking and laughing until closing. Taken a cab home and likely stayed up still hanging out, maybe watching a movie or outside by a fire if it was a warmer night. But now he wasn't sure where they all stood.

Charlotte

Lottie tried to smile for her friend's sake, especially with her making light of the situation. But it was difficult try pretend to be okay when she was anything but.

"No, that's it... I can't..." She shook her head, keeping her gaze on her hands as she thought it over, "I can't tell him what I did... he can't... he can't know what happened. I may have done it to forget about him but that's not exactly going to help him get over it, is it? No, he... it's better I just... keep him at arm's length now. He can move on and I don't need to worry about hurting him again."

Sighing, she placed her hands on the back of her head and leaned over so her head was between her knees. A soft groan escaped her and she squeezed her eyes shut as she attempted to get her head around just how badly she had fucked up. Typically Lottie move: get close to someone, freak out, and then hurt them so they stay away or convince herself there was a reason for them wanting to get close to her.

"I don't want to hurt him, Sunny so I... I can't do this with him again. It just won't work. I don't... I'm just a coward, I don't want to see his face when he knows what I did." She lifted her head up and turned it slightly to look at her, "Maybe I should just be a spinster. Seems easier that way."

Jaxon

"That's what I'm hoping," Jaxon sighed, shaking his head, "I just, I don't know. These girls are fucking difficult." He chuckled jokingly, finally pushing himself to his feet with the intention of finally going for his shower. "Just seems like every time we look like we're getting somewhere, something goes to shit."

He then smiled, placing the towel back over his shoulder, "Yeah well... we'll see. I need to get her out of that room to ask her first. But maybe, if they both come... something will work out better for the both us. Our luck can't be all that shitty, right?" He shrugged, scratching the back of his head, "Anyway, I'm going for a shower. Make sure those cupcakes don't burn."

With a final, small grin, Jaxon left his friend to finally shower and get rid of the sweat from his morning jog.

31891309-2251-4FCD-B435-DAD7E4091C7F.gif
Sunny shook her head at her friend. It was a typical Lottie move: attempting to push people away because she is afraid of hurting them, all the while hurting herself in the process. She wasn't going to push her friend into any type of relationship with Layke. If they worked out, great. If they didn't, it wasn't any of Sunny's business anyway, she just didn't want her friend to suffer because of something that was only a mistake.

After a few moments, she crossed her legs and looked around the room. "I just don't want you to give up on finding something good. You deserve so much, and maybe one day you'll change your mind about him. For now we can at least all stay friends. If I ruined things between Jaxon and I, the least I need is you and Layke to still get along in the house," Aj said with a chuckle. She wasn't sure what she had expected when she came back. Maybe just silence for a few days while Layke tried to ease the tension between everyone and then finally they all decide to have a few drinks together when Lottie was over and things would be forgotten? That was the best situation she hoped for, but nothing prepared her for this mess.

She wondered what would have happened if her and Jaxon hadn't gotten into it. If they had already slept together, would Layke and Lottie be a thing now? It felt weird to think about, but Sunny had always thought her friend deserved someone like Layke, so it made sense that it was Layke. She wondered if her and Jaxon would have been the awkward pairing following behind them then, or if it would have strengthened their relationship. Wouldn't it have just been perfect if... No, she couldn't think like that. Her and Jaxon would never work out. It didn't the first time, and it wouldn't again. She had already hurt their new friendship, she didn't want to ruin it completely by hoping that something more could help them. She wasn't naive.

"I need to shower. Get out of these travel clothes. Why don't you order take out and we can turn on some films? Maybe go get some cheesecake to share?" she said, raising an eyebrow with a small smile coming to her cheeks. It felt like they hadn't had a girls night in ages. With the four in the house being close more recently, they were usually all hanging out together. Aj felt that her and Lottie definitely needed a night to themselves to help clear their mind and forget about their boy drama, even if it meant watching TV boy drama.

Grabbing her own pair of clothes from her dresser, Aj walked out of her door and down the hall when she saw Jaxon, towel over his shoulder and headed to the same place she was. Awkwardly, she looked back towards her door. She couldn't avoid him forever, or at least she didn't want to. "Um, sorry, I'll just jump in when you're done in there," she said awkwardly. Her free hand reach up to scratch the back of her head as she looked away from him. Did she want to even bring up the situation? Maybe he was just giving them both space like Lottie said, and she should apologize to clear the air. Or maybe he hadn't thought about it since it happened like she was afraid of, and her mentioning it would only confirm that he didn't care as much as she did.

"Uh, anyway," she said, glancing back towards him. Thoughts began to make her doubt again, backing out of the confrontation. "Yeah," she said before turning and walking back to her room without another word. She shook her head as she entered through the door, leaning her back against the shut wood. Looking at Lottie, she groaned quietly. "I am the most awkward person alive, aren't I?" she said as she sighed.

FA3CC267-2F3A-4971-B5E2-DBDA0AE33838.gif
Layke laughed a little. His friend wasn't wrong. Girls were difficult. Maybe it was just because they were mates which made it more interesting in the mix, but regardless, he was right. Everytime they made progress, something shoved them 6 feet back. Part of him was still hopeful that it would be worth it in the end, though he wasn't sure if Lottie would ever come around after this. She really thought he had used her for a distraction, and even though he didn't know her that well, he still knew she was very guarded. It would take a lot to earn back her trust, if it was even possible.

The dark hair male chuckled again and nodded as he took another drink. Pushing himself up from the chair with his hands, he sighed and moved towards the kitchen to finish making the cupcakes he had been working on. Though it seemed silly, baking was something he had always enjoyed. Actually, cooking in general was a big habit of his. Some of the other guys in the pack made fun of him on occasions for it, but they never turned down his cooking. After helping his mom out with his siblings, he learned a few recipes and realized he liked it. For some reason, it became a great stress reliever for him.

Charlotte

Smiling faintly, Lottie nodded to her friend's suggestion of take-out and cheesecake. While she had the whole weekend away from the two boys that lived in the house, Lottie knew it would be impossible to simply go out there an act like everything was okay. Now she had all this new information - that Jaxon hadn't instigated the fight, that Sunny had got everything off her chest and... that Layke hadn't used her. She felt like a total fucking idiot.

However it was hard to think about going out there to apologise. If she apologised, then that provided a hope that maybe they could pick up where they left off. But how could they, after Lottie so idiotically went off with Isaac only a day or so later. Granted to try and forget about Layke, but there was still that betrayal there. And she couldn't bare to hurt him any more than she already had.

So Lottie would do what she did best: treat it as a simple fling. It would hurt Layke, and of course her, but at least he would eventually move on. If she could hide how she felt from him (which she clearly hadn't done well since he read her like a book outside earlier), then maybe he could find someone else that wouldn't hurt him or be as big of a bitch as she was.

While she knew she had to see what take-out they wanted, Lottie's only movements were to lean back in the armchair and close her eyes, an arm being thrown over them afterwards as she contemplated how fucked up a situation it was.

So when Sunny came back literally moments later, she lifted her head and frowned at her friend's groan.

"I'm guessing you just... saw him and ran?"
Lottie raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything else. It would be hypocritical of her to scold AJ for doing such a thing because she knew she would do the exact same when she saw Layke next. "Are you... are you sure you're going to be okay living here? Sunny... you know you can stay at mine whenever, right? Mum'd be happy to have you, you know that."

Jaxon

"Hey..." He responded, then scolded himself inwardly for the awkward, dumb response. Jaxon knew that the next few encounters with Sunny would be awkward, but he just didn't know what to do. He wanted to respect her words, and her decision to leave for the weekend, by giving her more space in case she wanted it. As much as that hurt him to do, he knew it was probably for the best.

Her behaviour didn't fill him with the utmost confidence that things were ready to be spoken about either. With her nervously glancing back towards her bedroom door, it was clear to see her body was eager to take the flight rather than fight option upon seeing him. He could sense the cogs in her head turning, and if it were any other situation Jaxon would have smiled fondly, knowing it instantly to be a typical Sunny overthinking moment. But he couldn't, because it was him she was overthinking about.

"Wait, Sunny. Can we just--" He stepped forward as he realised she was leaving, clearly uncomfortable and wishing to avoid anything further with him. However it was too late, and she had disappeared back to her room before he could even finish his sentence.

Jaxon stared at the shut bedroom door for a moment, heaving a sigh before he ran his hand through his hair. With a shake of his head, Jaxon turned and continued toward the bathroom, locking the door behind him and running the shower soon after.

33F682B3-76C6-4924-AE29-F1A2F6607074.gif

The sound of his voice after only a few, short days without it sent a ping through her body, just as it had after not hearing his voice for years. It was a strange feeling to already be accustomed to him again after year without him. She hadn't realized it until that moment, but for a while it felt like she had allowed her guard down long enough to let him in. She remembered his laugh, his smile, his voice— everything about him just as she did when she was younger.

She had slowly allowed their friendship to become part of her everyday life again that she didn't realize she was putting herself back into a dangerous situation. It wasn't that she didn't want to talk to him or see him or have him in her life— it was because she was afraid he would leave again. She was afraid that the voice she had now grown accustom to hearing every morning and the smile she would see every night and the laugh she'd hear at every stupid pun she made would disappear again, just like it did years before.

"I didn't know what to say," she admitted, her shoulders shrugging as she hit her lower lip. How did she ask him to not leave again when she wasn't sure she fully trusted him again? Would his words mean anything when she didn't trust them? "I know, but I can't do that," she shook her head. The blue eyes she had scanned the room and settled in on the journal he had gotten her. "I don't want to run away from him. Visiting home reminded me of the friendship we use to have. I don't know if we could ever have that again, but for some reason he is back in my life years later in a completely new city, and if that tells me anything, it's that running away from the problem won't solve it," she said.

"I may never get an answer from him as to why, but he knows how I felt—feel, about it. Even if it wasn't how I wanted to talk to him about it, I've made my peace. I just have to work on remembering that even though he's still Jaxon, he's not entirely the Jaxon I use to know. Maybe this new guy can still be a part of my life though," she sighed. "If I ever work up the courage to talk to him," she laughed.

After chatting more with Lottie, Aj finally heard the shower turn off. A few more moments passed before she gathered her clothes and moved towards the bathroom again.

Charlotte

As Sunny left to take a shower, Lottie knew that she would now have to move to see what take-out menus they had in the house. Exhaling heavily, she leaned forward to rest her hands on the armchair either side of her knees, fingers curled over the edge. She stared down at her feet, playing out every possible scenario she could think of if she bumped into Layke.

It went without question that she wasn't going to tell him about Isaac. Not even because she didn't want to hurt him, or have that hanging between them... but because why should it matter? It was a stupid mistake, and it wasn't as if she and Layke were an item. They had hooked up once, and while they may... like... each other... that didn't mean she was from that moment on exclusive to him. Yes... that was how she was going to look at it.

But... she could... apologise. Not for how she reacted or what she accused him of, no, she wasn't big enough to do that. But she did have something in mind to say to him, that was for sure.

Taking a deep breath, Lottie kicked off her ankle boots and wiggled her toes for a moment, still finding the last of her courage to go out to the kitchen. Eventually she stood and slipped out of the bedroom, keeping her head down and moving quickly.

However it was just as she feared, since Layke was occupying the area. Lottie went still before automatically, and subconsciously, wrapping her arms around herself. She cleared her throat, as to not startle him, and then moved to the drawer she knew the household kept their take-out menus.

"They... they smell good." She complimented awkwardly, laying the menus out on the counter and looking down at them so she didn't have to look at Layke. Her hands rested on the counter either side of the collection of flyers, fingers gently drumming against the marble. Taking a deep breath, she finally turned to face him. Her hands were clasped together, thumbs brushing over each other as her feet fidgeted and she nibbled at her lower lip.

"Look I... it's been made... I've been made aware that-- that that night might not have gone the way I actually thought it did," she began clumsily, trying to find her words, "But I... can't... afford to let it become anything more than what it was... between us. I-- I never let myself-- I just don't do relationships, and I... I don't want to lead you into a false hope that that... might ever happen... for us." By this point Lottie had lowered her gaze, finding it rather difficult to say the words that she wasn't sure she actually believed any more.

Thinking of being in a relationship for Layke did leave her with a warm, if yet small, blossom of hope in her chest. Yet she quenched it. She was not prepared to be hurt like she had been last time. He could be a good guy, as good of a guy as he wanted her to believe he was and as nice as Sunny made him out to be. However Lottie was just terrified of taking that risk.

"But I don't... I don't want this to ruin whatever... friendship we had before we... slept together. I also don't want it to fuck up this fucked up dynamic the four of us have when we're all... good. So... I-- I guess what I'm trying to say is that... it's best if we just... stay friends."

Jaxon

Jaxon was just stepping out of the bathroom, towel drying his hair, when he noticed Sunny just a few steps away. He paused, lowering his towel, and wondered dryly if she would run from him again this time. However, before she could have the opportunity, he straightened out his top and took the last few steps to meet her in the hallway.

"Can we-- can we talk?" He asked gently, reaching out as if to touch her arm but catching himself and instead pressing fingers against the towel draped over her arm. He didn't think she'd full appreciate him touching her at that moment.

His eyes raised to look over his shoulder just in time to see Lottie enter the kitchen, and he then quietly motioned with his head for Sunny to follow him into the bathroom. When she eventually did, he shut the door behind him but didn't lock it. He also moved around her and away from the door so she could still feel like she could leave if she wanted to. He never wanted her to feel like she had to stay and talk to him if she had had enough.

"You ran... before I could even ask that, before I got in the shower." He confessed, a small smile appearing as he draped his towel over the edge of the bathtub. He perched next to it, rubbing his palms against his thighs as he studied her for a moment. Eventually he sighed and his hands stilled, clasping together with thumbs pressing together.

"Look, Sunny-- I never meant to make you feel the way you did when I left. I... there's not a single reason good enough to explain what I did and why I did it. But you just got to know that... what I did... I thought I was doing it to protect you. I see now that I was... I was so extremely wrong. We both... know that I wasn't myself and I was..." He sighed, looking down at his hands before rubbing the back of his neck anxiously, raising his head and his gaze a moment later, "I was terrified of hurting you. The only thing I can say is that I'm... I'm better now and... and I'm not going to leave like that again."

His hands pressed together once more, resting in his lap, "I'm not going to sit here and beg your forgiveness over and over again 'cause I know it'll just... hurt the both of us in the long run. But I just... I just want you to know how deeply and unequivocally sorry I am and that... I hope, one day, that we can be friends again. I hope I can have some Sunny back in my life again."

The corners of his lips pulled up in the beginnings of a weak smile, the last line being similar to what he used to say to her before everything happened. When he was in a down mood, or feeling low, he'd joke about needing some Sun...ny in his life. Often accompanied by picking her up and collapsing onto the bed with her for cuddles, or nuzzling his face into the side of her neck. But then the faint smile faded, as he realised that sort of comment would probably push her away from him more than bring her back to him.

"Sorry I-- what I'm trying to say is that I hope we can at least... be friends. It's been killing me, this weekend... not being able to talk to you about what you said and then just... wanting to make sure you were okay. But-- but yeah... that's... that's really..."

B8981C26-D596-4A40-9967-7872D1D12AE4.gif
The sight of Jaxon drying his hair leaving the bathroom, Sunny stopped and took a small breath. She was prepared to confront him and get the discussion out of the way. No need to drag out the awkwardness, especially with the new news she just received about Lottie and Layke. She was sure things between them may have been a bit awkward for awhile, the last thing she wanted was to ruin their friendship anymore. Everything she told Lottie was true. She did want Jaxon in her life, so she had to just suck it up and be a big girl about it.

Starting to open her mouth, she was beaten as Jaxon'a voice spoke up and his hand reach out for her. She watched him slowly move his track and instead let them fall on the towel instead of her skin. Releasing a small breath, she nodded.

Sunny follower Jaxon to the bathroom and watched him shut the door. She flipped the towel to her other arm and crossed them under her chest as she bit her inner lip, mentally talking herself into responding to him. "Yeah, I'm sorry, I guess I just wasn't quite as ready as I thought I was before," she chuckled awkwardly. "I didn't know what to say— I mean, I knew what I wanted to say but then when I saw you I just— didn't," she stuttered out, reaching her hand up to slowly scratch her temple, an old habit of hers, as she realized what a fumbling fool she was making herself out to be. "Sorry, I think talking is a good idea. I guess I just needed a minute before," she apologized, chuckling a little as she sat on the bathtub on the opposite side of his towel.

Placing hers over her legs, sh fiddled with the ends nervously and looked down at her yellow painted toe nails, wondering where to begin. Her mouth opened again to speak, but his voice rose beside her. He had always been good at perfect timing, she remembered. Sunny's head turned towards Jaxon as he spoke, and guilt filled her eyes and heart as he mentioned the way she felt, causing her eyes to look back at the tiles. Even though it was all true what she had told him, she didn't want him to know the truth. She was always afraid of hurting others, even if all she did was share the pain that they caused.

His words echoed through her brain as she swallowed them, knowing she'd listen through them again and again to process his apology.

Even Sunny couldn't help but let her lips curl up into a small smile at his old phrase. She had always loved when he had said it, usually accompanied by any other of the million adorable phrases he used. Part of her felt that she shouldn't still get pleasure and happiness from him saying that, though she did anyway. Maybe it was a sign that their friendship wasn't as rough as they both felt it was. They both knew each other, even if they had changed some over the years. In the end, he was still the same guy she had lived years before.

Her eyes fluttered back towards him as he spoke again and she watched as he, too, seemed nervous to talk to her. "I'm really sorry that I said all of that and just left. I know I shouldn't have without talking to you about it, I just needed to clear my mind. I never intended to tell you like that," she said, looking away from him again. "I was so mad at you, and so hurt I didn't think I'd ever want to even be your friend again if I ever saw you again. But that's not true... I do still love being your friend. And I think what we all have is good," she shrugged.

"But I don't want to lose you again.. I don't think I'd be as forgiving a second time," she teased, letting her shoulder lean over to bump his with a small chuckle. "I don't expect to get an answer of why... So I just want to focus on now, and if we can be friends then that's all I can ask for," she said, looking back over at him.

• • • • •

6313D7E3-5F1E-4EBF-ABF5-F5A2ED960CD8.gif
The minute Lottie stepped out of the bedroom door he could smell her. He listened carefully as he heard Jaxon speak and then a door close, footsteps nearing him. The closer his mate got, the prominent her scent was. Though he heard her coming, the clearing of her throat to announce her presence couldn't help but make Layke smile a bit to himself. Turning to look at her, he smiled at her for a moment before turning back around as he continued icing his now baked cupcakes.

He smiled again at her words, hoping this meant that they were possibly back on speaking terms at least. "Thanks, they're my favorite. I've got plenty of you want to take some home. That or Jaxon will eat all of them and then complain about a stomach ache in two days," he laughed, shaking his head. Turning back around as he finished up, his eyes followed her body where she was looking through menus. Looking over her, he couldn't help but want to reach out to hold her, despite how they were just a few feet away already.

Her sudden ranting studder fest had Layke smiling awkwardly as he tried to keep up with her. Was she now trying to friend zone him? He laughed a little, pulling his hand to the back of his neck to scratch it. "What makes you think I do relationships?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. He leaned against the counter behind him, crossing his arms over his chest and looked at her.

"Ouch, I really am getting friendzoned," he chuckled, holding a hand over his chest dramatically. "I don't expect a relationship out of you now that we hooked up," he said honestly. "But that doesn't mean you should expect me to not be trying to win you over still," he teased, a small smile playing on his lips. "I think you'd give in eventually, just have to wait until the day you're desperate enough to go out with me," he joked, winking at her.

Though her words did sting a bit, Layke couldn't let it get to him. Maybe it would just take her time. He knew she didn't want to get hurt and she didn't want to lose the friendship they already had, which he understood completely. He didn't want to screw it up by telling her his secrets, so he knew where she was coming from. He had time to wait and build her trust. Part of him just knew that everything would work out, and usually his instincts were pretty spot on. If that meant all he could do was go back to teasing Lottie, he could manage until she was ready.

Charlotte

Her cheeks immediately flared red at his comment, his question of asking her why she thought he did relationships. Maybe she was right from the start then anyway. Earlier he had been talking about how they both felt and how it was clear they both felt similar things for each other. Perhaps she had read that wrong and he simply got a bad read off her. From that comment, it was clear to think that he thought she only liked him enough as a fuck buddy. But Charlotte knew that wasn't the case. Even if she didn't want to admit it, she knew that wasn't it at all.

"Oh.. I just... forget it then." She tried to backtrack, even while he was still talking. She turned away to look at the menus again just after his hand clasped over his chest. The heat in her face almost unbearable and her embarrassment potent.

However, his words about winning her over had her looking up, just in time to see his wink. So he... did want a relationship, at least with her? Fuck was he hard to read and understand. It was so much easier when there was the sexual tension between them, that was something that Lottie knew how to fucking read. At least with that, she knew he wanted to fuck her as much as she wanted him.

"D-- Desperate being the operative word."
She eventually stuttered out, retreating to the safety of their familiar teasing. She quickly looked back to the menus and snatched up the menu for the local Chinese take-out, "Is uh... is this place any good? Sunny... and I are ordering some for lunch - probably leftovers for dunner too - if... if you and Jaxon want to add on to our order."

Jaxon

"No, Sunny, I'm not bringing this up to get an apology from you. I'm trying to apologise to you." Jaxon laughed softly, but not in a mocking sense, rather in amused disbelief that she was saying sorry. "You had a right to do that... you had... all of that pent up inside you for so long, I'm surprised you didn't explode."

He watched her for a moment, resisting the urge to rest a hand over hers in a act of sincerity, "Sunny... I'm glad you told me. You deserved to have it out with me and I'm glad you did. I just... I know you probably will take this with a pinch of salt but... I really never did mean to hurt you the way I did. In my head... what I was doing was best for you, and my family. I knew how much I was hurting you and I couldn't bear to inflict that pain on you any longer." He paused, looking away as he pulled his towel onto his lap just so his hands had something to do, "Now I realise that I... I caused more pain than I could even imagine. And I'll... never be able to tell you just how sorry I am."

He then smiled at her light joke, chuckling gently with her as he lifted his head and gaze to look at her again. He remained still, simply taking her in for a moment. His smile then grew and he reached across to squeeze her shoulder, "Of course we can be friends. I mean, really, I should be the one asking you that, after everything. If you're offering me friendship, Sunny, I'll grab that with two hands, trust me."

Taking a deep breath, he finally stood, knotting the towel in his hands as he turned to face her again. "I... was speaking with Layke and we thought that... maybe... we should all go out for drinks together. Maybe this weekend? Could do us good to just... get out of the house, out of such a familiar surrounding and just... have a laugh, again."

Jaxon studied her carefully, anxious about her reaction, "If it's too soon after everything, I completely understand. I just thought.. could be nice.. the four of us and everything..."