Around the world in 80 pages

December! New Year's Eve! Darlene's big party! If there was a time she was more drunk, Genevieve didn't think so. Worse yet she had a hard time recalling the night. She had been assured that she hadn't done anything horrible, and in all honesty didn't seem that drunk. However that had been Ruth, who was a lush. Genevieve never had the guts to ask someone more reliable like Darlene. Genevieve was sure she hadn't meant to get drunk. Just a few drinks to relax around all the strangers had been the plan. What happened to the plan?

Oh well it was history now, and at least it seemed she did not embarses herself I front of Mathew. A small miracle that was now.

Genevieve nodded. "No, I don't think I could have gone off on this adventure in good conscious if I had a boyfriend right now." She then tilted her head with a smile. "In the same boat I take it, or is there a much more understanding woman out there?" Gevevieve purposely kept her eyes on Mathew, not wanting to have any mixed signals coming from his sister. She liked Darlene, trusted her, but in this particular case she didn't want anyone else clouding up the conversation.

He shook his head. "I've yet to meet the woman who would date a man who may spend one night in LA and the next in Indiana." he said. "And if I were to ever marry..." he shook his head. "I'd have to change jobs and settle down."

He thought it was fortunate that he didn't remember the party clearly. He knew he had drunk more than he should have an his sister had promised to 'keep him out of trouble' but he had woken up on her couch with all his clothed and nothing missing from his wallet so she must have kept her word.

"I had a nice week up in Virginia though, a company trying to woo me into their exclusive employ, nothing but meetings and dinners, I promised them an answer after this trip." he sighed "But I don't think you want to hear about work."

It was alarming that he didn't know what else to talk about. "Whats your plans after this is over?"

Genevieve felt a bit of sympathy for Mathew. It sounded like his work didn't give him much time for a social life. If he loved his job it would be only a small problem though. She wondered if he was that type. Maybe not if he was considering something less mobile.

"After all this?" Genevieve blinked in surprise. "I hadn't given it much thought. Work on a new project I'm sure." He wasn't asking about work, she knew it, and yet that was the first thing that came out of her mouth. Genevieve didn't think herself a workaholic. She had her free time. Though she had been told she needed to get out more. She had her hobbies. That was it!

"I'll probably start hunting for some new rocks. It's not very impressive, but sometimes I find nice pieces that can be polished and set into jewelry." While she did enjoy making such things, she didn't really talk about it very often. Mostly because she didn't feel she was very talented yet. Mostly she just made stuff for her own enjoyment.

"Oh... our grandfather was a jeweler." he said gesturing to Darline. "He made those earrings Darline is wearing for our mother. Are you wearing anything you made?"

His question was cut short by the cabbie punching the meter and demanding the fare and Darline gesturing for them to get out as she payed. Mathew whistled, the street was something to see. And he didn't feel out of place.. dinner jackets and dainty dresses seemed to be the things to wear. "Wow.."

FLASH

"First moment in Broadway! OOOH this is a good one."

Darline really knew how to ruin a moment.

That was a surprising bit of information. Genevieve never knew that about Darlene's grandfather. Unfortunately the conversation was cut short by them arriving at theatre. When she got out she was impressed and felt the need to say so, until the flash momentarily blinded her. Genevieve blinked several times before she stopped seeing strange halos.

"I suppose we should go inside?" Genevieve asked. Honestly she would have liked to take a few moments to just take in the scene, but she doubted her boss would be patient so it was best to be proactive in moving along.

"Take his arm don't just walk next to each other."

The instruction was obeyed as they walked in, Mathew showing their tickets and them instructed to go up the stairs so they could reach their box seat. "I hear this is a very good show," Genevieve said to Mathew as they slowly went up the stairs.

Darline was quick to grab his coat from Genevieve as they entered the theater and walking into one dressed to the nines with an attractive girl on his arm and going up the stairs... it did make the might feel special and Mathew like.. well he couldn't put it into wards. However his arm tightened around her and he placed his other hand on her arm as they were shown where to go by the usher.

"I.. don't know a lot about Broadway." he confessed as they entered the box and he sat down with her, their arms still entwined. "But I feel like we're '30s aristocrats having a night on the town... Its an adventure."

his words surprised him, this was an adventure and it had taken him until we was on it to see that. But at least the plane ride was forgotten.

"An adventure?" Genevieve thought about it for a moment. It wasn't exactly how she saw all of this, but she realized she liked Mathew's perspective a lot more then just thinking of this as a cushy business trip. She smiled at him, before the lights dimmed and said as the theatre started to become silent, "I think I like your idea of an adventure."

The new Broadway hit, "The King and I", was of course a tale wrot with many theatrical themes. Genevieve had heard the show was good, but had not actually found out what it was about before hand. Thus she was truly surprised as the story developed. Not only that but the costuming was beautiful, the music was catchy, and the actors were wonderful. All in all Genevieve was able to enjoy the show, almost forgetting why she was there and simply be there in the moment with her companion.

Mathew passed the musical mostly in silence realizing about halfway through that he was still holding onto Genevieve's arm and embarrassed but slightly regretful he let it go.

There was cold water and glasses for them and Darline seemed more than happy to refill their glasses when needed.

"I can see why this is being called the best of the revival." he said quietly. He wouldn't say he was enthralled but the performance but we was enjoying it. It had been a while since he had just done something, but the box seats, the dozens of rolls of film she was going to use, airfare, hotels, countless attractions... this trip was going to cost Darline no small fortune, he knew she was a best selling author but all this just for a book?

Genevieve noded her agreement in the dim light. This was a very good show. As the last number ended and the curtain closed the lights started to come on once more. Like the patrons below she stood and gave a round of applause. The actors of course came out and took a bow.

"That was," she paused as a large yawn escaped her, "very much fun." Genevieve blushed in embarrassment but then was attacked by a second yawn. The show had been good but with getting ready for the flight and then the traveling Genevieve was tired. It was all worth it, but this had been a full day. She hoped the pace wouldn't be so frantic tomorrow. Of course part of that was Darlene's excitement. Once they all got a rhythm on how this would go it would be easier for everyone.

"Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. We still have time to have dinner at the Russian Tea Room."

Mathew was stretching and yawning too when Darline spoke. He turned and looked at Genvieve and then back at Darline.

"Sis, we're tired I think Genevieve and I both need sleep sooner rather than later. We can go to to this tea room in the morning, it will still be there but unless you want to write about your couple falling asleep at the dinner table."

he stopped himself looking over to Genevieve to try and gauge what she wanted and if he was making a fool of himself.

"I think I'll take my 'wife' to the hotel." he said picking up his coat and again draping it over Genvieve's shoulders.

Darlene was visibly displeased with her brother and she looked to be ready to make an argument about it, but stopped herself when she looked at Genevieve. The assistant was exhausted, and she gave a grateful smile as he placed the coat over her shoulders. She might not have said the words, but she was thankful.

There were few pictures taken as they exited the theatre and hailed a cab, though neither she nor Mathew paused this time for Darlene. Thankfully she didn't try to insist either. The new cab driver had them all go in the back and asked where they were headed. When Darlene said the Ritz-Carlton, Genevieve's jaw dropped. She had heard that name before, which lead her to believe it was very expensive. Just how much realism was Darlene aiming for to write this book?

As they drrove Genevieve leaned her head on the window. Going down the busy streets at night was interesting, but not enough to keep her attention tonight. When the cab drove up to the hotel, the grandure of the place reminded her of far too many movies. In a bit of a daze she walked with Mathew and Darlene to the front desk, glad that their luggage was already here. "Hotel reservations for Miss Darlene Kit? Here is your room key. And Mr. & Mrs. Mathew Kit, here is your room key. I do hope ou enjoy the suite."

Genevieve looked at they key that had been handed to Mathew, then at Mathew himself, then she spun and looked at her boss. "Darlene!"

Mathew almost wished we here awake enough to appreciate the hotel better, as it was he could swear Genevieve was leaning on him as he crossed the hotel lobby. He didn't even care id Darline took pictures of them as they crossed the floor a bellhop taking their bags right from the taxi, the though again crossed his mind as to how much Darline had spent on this trip.

"What.." he looked down at the key in his hand the at Darline.

He closed his hand around the key, except how far was she taking this... masquerade. Maybe he was too tired to shout but he pulled Darline and Genevieve away from the counter.

"You're going to tell me there two beds, and that you are Genvieve are sharing a room, aren't you?"

Darlene rolled her eyes. "That would look weird. It's a honeymoon suite, the bed will be huge, don't worry about it," Darlene was obviously suppressing a smirk. She wasn't saying something, and whatever it was amused her greatly. "If people saw me in the room there would be all sorts of talk in the hotel. You do want to have a nice stay while in New York, right?"

"But a hotel room...," Genevieve started, wondering why Darlene thought this was a smart idea.

"Is just a room. You're both adults after all." Darlene interrupted and sounded like an exsaperated teacher. "But tomorrow I do want to take some pictures of the two of you inside."

"No," Genevieve started again.

"Alright, fine, but you have to take a few pictures of the room and the view then. Now I'm going to my room, I'm exhausted."

She was moving to leave but even if he didn't want to continue the conversation Mathew and Genevieve needed to take the same elevator. "So you're keeping up appearances... you're writing a book, how genuine does the charade need to be? You've written romance novels before, you don't need us to stay in the same room to write about it do you?"

All of this had to sound strange to the bellhop.. but he was a professional and maybe used to the strange things that happened in New York.

"I'm only letting you do this because I'm going strait to bed... No pictured, to undulging your imagination. In there and asleep."

"I understand completely," Darlene said to Mathew in a tone that denoted that the conversation was long over. They all rode up the elevator, before their floor Darlene got off on hers. "I'll see you both at breakfast," she told them with a smile and a wave as the door started to close again and she started to walk to her room.

The elevator went up another three floors before they ended up on their own. Down the hall they went until they reached their suite. When Mathew opened the door and turned on the light, Genevieve was able to see that it was indeed a large room. Walking into the room she looked around and yet didn't really see anything. Finally she sat on the edge of the bed and took off her shoes.

"I'm going to change out of this, " she said plucking at the front of her dress, "then I'm going to collapse. I think .... We can talk in the morning right?" This was all too weird, but Genevieve wasn't sure she would make a very good conversation partner at this point. At least Mathew had been adamant about wanting sleep himself before they got up here.

Mathew closed and locked the door and pulled off his jacket. "Alright.. I'll be over here." he pulled off his shoes and socks, keeping his shirt on until Genevieve was out of view, then changing into a vest and a more expandable pair of beige pants. We didn't want to know what Darline had been thinking when she signed them up for a shared room, but at least he could turn on a bedside lamp and turn off the main light, it somehow seemed more intimate even though we only did it so they wouldn't have to get up.

He sat on the bed and waited.. unsure of what to do.

Going into the bathroom after digging through her suitcase for what she was looking for Genevieve changed out of the dress and slipped on an old oversized shirt. It was the sort of comfortable thing that seemed suited to sharing a room with Darlene, which is what the blonde had thought would happen. It covered her, but it was almost too short. She couldn't worry about that though.

At the last moment she splashed some water on her face and tried to use a cloth to get most of the make up off, knowing she'd regret it in the morning if she didn't do so. The water didn't wake her any, and Genevieve conceded she had been so excited and nervous about this trip she hadn't slept well the night before. No wonder she was exhausted.

Exiting the bathroom, she noticed only the light at the end table, Mathew having chosen a side of the bed. "Um, I guess this is good night?" Genevieve tugged on a lock of her hair. Adults or not this was weird!

He lay down and looked at her, realizing he should her done the the other way around. "Then.. goodnight." he said softly sliding under the covers. Sharing a bed with a woman.. it didn't have to be awkward, what made it so was.. did Darline expect them to... no he wasn't going to think about it.. did Genevieve want.. probably not, they were friends, acquaintances at least.

"The show was better than I thought it would be." he said taking off his glasses and placing them on the nightstand.

"I'll see you in the morning.."

He put his head on the pillow, facing towards Genevieve and pulled the blanket up and closed his eyes. He hoped the next hotel was this comfortable.

Genevieve got into bed with only a moment of fuss as she got a good position, laying on her back. "Yes, it was good," she said looking up at the ceiling. The bed was comfortable, and soon she started to feel her body relax. While her nerves had made her body ridged when she irst got in bed, as her body relaxed she slowly started to stop being up tight.

Glancing over at Mathew a ghost of a smile appeared in her lips. "See you in the morning," with that she reached over and turned off the lamp and then sank back into her pillow. Genevieve was going to sleep well tonight.

Her last thought before she finally caught sleep was of New Years Eve and on a couch talking with Mathew. She'd completely forgot the conversation, but she remembered that all the same.

Mathew had a dreamless sleep, while Genevieve had been changing he had taken a sleeping pill to make sure he rested, but when he woke up he found things had changed. He wasn't on his side anymore but on him back, and there was a weight on top of him. Of his not-fully awake state he moved his arm feeling more of the woman half on top of him until it rested in the small of her back her shirt sightly bunched up under it. Fortunately Mathew didn't see how much was revealed as with an intake of breath his eyes opened and he looked down.

"Genevieve..!?" he pieced together the events that happened and breathed a sigh of relief, nothing had happened. "Good morning."