Arkr's Cairn OOC [Horror] [Mystery] [Survival]

Aw, we get a map? Just like a real survival horror game. :'} I'm very excited.

Well I may need to guide you around the town at points - can't do that if you're having to make up the layout as we go! Don't expect any great works of art though, I'm no Davinci.

Name: Silex Amoro

Appearance: With all the stress in his life, not to mention all the time he spends indoors, Silex has not aged well. His skin is pale and premature wrinkles line his cold, dark eyes. His hair is just as dark and reaches his shoulders. It tends to look slightly greasy, and the bold white skunk stripe running down the side doesn't exactly call attention away. Even his hands tell much of his storied past: they are bony, the knuckles stark against his skin, but his fingers move with deadly precision, not a tremble in sight.

Silex prefers to dress well, even when the situation doesn't really call for it. His favorite outfit, and the one he's currently wearing, consists of a dark blue suit top, a black tie, bright white dress slacks, and bold red slip-on shoes.

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 177 lbs

Hair color: Inky black. The skunk stripe is dyed, naturally.

Eye color: Dark brown. They can look just as dark as his hair in the right light.​

Biography: Silex was born into a poor and highly conservative family. The Amoro's were about as traditional as they come, practically Amish as they shunned many modern electrical devices in favor of simpler things like candles or pen and paper. Silex spent much of his spare time reading the textbooks contained in the family library, an expansive wealth of knowledge from which Silex wanted to learn as much as he could. He took a liking to biology, nursing a fascination with the way the body worked so flawlessly, thousands of connected cogs running in perfect harmony. He had plans of going to the same prestigious university his parents did to get a teaching career, so he could pass his knowledge down to the next generation.

Unfortunately, Silex's tendency to hole himself up in his studies caused a rift between him and his parents. When he was 18 years old, they produced another child, a girl named Lyra, and in order to teach Silex to respect and care for his family, they shoved his newborn sister into his care shortly after he'd moved away. Though he was flustered, having no idea how to take care of a baby, Silex did everything he could to live up to his parents' wishes and raised Lyra for another fifteen years. It was around then when his overprotective tendencies really got to the shy, mousy girl, and she ran away from home in a final act of quiet defiance. Silex never heard from her again, and presumed her dead.

Lyra's departure broke Silex's heart, and in his sorrow, he retreated even further into himself, locking out any chance of being hurt again. He had his textbooks, and his experiments, and in absence of anything else, his resolution to throw himself headlong into a career of scientific research.

Sample:

"So, hey, me and the boys are gonna play a game of poker tonight, you in?"

It was the first time Silex had been invited to one of Kelkov's poker nights. Kelkov was much younger, but the two still got along swimmingly.

"Ah, I don't believe I can make it," Silex said, bowing his head. "My apologies." It wasn't that he had plans; rather, Kelkov's friends were somewhat unsavory and he had little desire to spend an entire night with them. Kelkov didn't press any further, said his goodbyes for the night, and left his friend's humble abode, leaving Silex to read in peaceful silence.

Just as he sat down with a book on the evolution of pterosaurs, he was interrupted by a knock on the door. It was a woman, pale skin, red hair, freckles all over her face. There were bags under her eyes, and her fingers were gnarled together like tree roots. She wanted to know if Silex had seen her son. The boy looked a lot like her, she said. Very skinny, knobby knees.

"I'm very sorry he's gone missing, ma'am," Silex said. He meant it. "I'll let you know if I see him or hear anything." He got her phone number and sent her off, her choked sobs falling on deaf ears.

And we have a character roster!

I am super interested! I may be able to get a character up today!

Such fervour is welcomed! Do remember to PM me the sheet before you post it here!

We now have a town map! Still to come is more detailed information the geography around Arkr's Cairn, and the beginnings of its history. With one or two more players, we will even have enough to begin the IC! Exciting times. Watch this space!

I think it's bad that my first thought was not, "Oh no, an asylum/graveyard/creepy church" but, "Oh good, a pub! :D"

Do you have room for another? This sounds like it may be an amusing chance to play around with the mind of a character and see just how brittle ones mentality may be when under duress and fear of the unknown. I can begin working on a character sheet as soon as possible and have it PM'd within the next hour or two.

EDIT: It's may favorite thing to do with a character. Place events before them to test just how far their way of thinking, rational behavior and cognitive process' are effected by trauma and utter fear.

We are indeed still accepting! PM me your sheet whenever you desire.

Quick question, so I can clarify on the timeline and universe we are in.
Should I assume similar date and year in contrast to our own date and timeline?
Not to be specific, but I'm assuming this event takes place in 2014 or somewhere close to that year? If so, do real world events of the past exist in this same timeline?

The events of Arkr's Cairn take place in the year 2013, with your characters being from our world and bearing witness to the same trials.

Sent the CS. I couldn't find a PM so I did a 1x1 conversation. Though I think that's basically the same thing as PM for iwaku.

ooh I'm interested in this too..I can let you see my CS and sample by tomorrow night. Apparently they have a restricted amount of time your allowed to use a computer in an psychiatric ward (yes I'm crazy..jk I'm not..seriously I'm not)
But an hour a day is still good enough for me to post frequently.

Sorry about the wait. I was supposed to have yesterday off, but I got called into work and they kept me for a while. -.-

Not a problem! We're in no rush.

Roman: Sent you the CS sometime last night. Not sure if that quite fits in or not as a character who'll fit in to this kind of role.

Name: Anne Bailey

Appearance:

starlight_by_beethy.jpg

Description: Anne's smooth skin, slim figure, and natural grace leave many a girl envious of her, and she knows it. She takes care of herself, and it shows. She carries herself with confidence and a touch of arrogance, with an aura of "leave me the hell alone". Her hair is cut shorter in back than in front, and cut so as to create a feathery effect that accents the shape of her face. Her features are strong, but not too much so. She would rarely ever be found in something so unflattering as sweats and a simple t-shirt, but prefers to dress if not like she used to, then as close as she can to looking good.​

Height: 5'7"​

Weight: 132lbs​

Hair Color: Light brown, and currently lightly streaked with purple highlights.​

Eye Color: Brown​

Biography: Anne grew up in an affluent home, and thus it has obviously affected her. Everything she ever wanted, every little wish, could and was granted with the barest lift of her finger. Ever since she was born, life was this way. She had dreams of becoming a model, loved and envied by all, ever since she was a child, and knew that she would be one. There was never a doubt. With the kind of money and looks that she had, every door was open to her. Even better, her parents knew the value of education, due to the fact that they had earned their fortune, and this lesson was at least partially impressed upon Anne. Somewhat. But that didn't matter for a girl like her, right?

And then the unimaginable happened: their fortune was lost.

Although they were a rich family, the "fortune" really wasn't up there. Not like a Bill Gates or anything, but that was what Anne thought it was. Her parents had gotten addicted to the darker entertainments of the city: gambling, drugs, etc. She had been under the impression that they were just out of town on extended trips. No problem, right? Their debts accumulated, and so their assets were seized by various interested parties, both legal and not. This drastically changed their lifestyle, from easygoing and... well, easy, to bumming at a relative's house. After a year, the relative had decided that the family has overstayed their welcome, and let them know they had to leave. They resisted, and had to be removed by force. This caused them to live on the streets for a month until they could afford an apartment. Her parents say the same thing all the time, that they're going to get their way of life back, but as a couple of years passed, the illusion wore off for Anne.

She moved out when she was 21, and for a while was becoming sucked into the world of drug use. Before she could get seriously addicted, however, she met a girl who was soon to become her rock. This new friend dragged her out of her habits and helped straighten her life, and ever since, they've been inseparable.

Sample:
Anne twirled in her dress, her beautiful, beautiful dress. The light flickered off of it, making it appear as if she were some ethereal being, not from Earth. Normally, sparkly dresses seemed a bit over the top to her, but this one was perfect somehow. Not gaudy at all. The silvery white colour made her look otherworldly, and brought out the silver highlights in her hair, done specially for this occasion. Her happiness ebbed as a thought bugged at the back of her mind: what is the occasion, anyways? She couldn't remember... As she dug deeper into her memory to find out what in the world she was doing here, in this exquisite dress and room, the lights dimmed. She stopped, somewhat afraid. What was that? she thought. After a moment of seeming peace, she pushed the adrenaline spike away and returned to her task. But as she dug through her mind again, the room dimmed and the walls turned from lavish gold and white to an almost rotted-looking brown. Fear spiked through her belly, but now she knew she had to try and find out what was going on. Despite her surroundings continuing to rot, she fought in her mind to discover the reason for being there. Her dress slid off in rotten strips, just like how the walls were peeling off, leaving her naked as her name day, to face whatever may come. Just as her terror reached it's peak, she jolted awake, a scream stuck in her throat and her arms clutching at her sheets.

Had that really been just a dream? She tried to shake off the lingering feeling of fear, but the darkness of her bedroom seemed to be hiding lurking beings, ready to... what? Do bad things? She hurried to turn on a light, and as she gained visible clarity, her mental clarity returned. "It was just a dream..." she sighed, leaning against the wall. Some dream... she though sourly. And it had been going so well at first. Anne sighed again and looked at the time. Finding it to be almost time for her to wake for work anyways, she groped her way to the kitchen to get some breakfast started. All her life she had never had to cook, but when things change, they change. Myra had been teaching her how to make a few things recently, and so she wanted to test her skills this morning, give herself something to do until the other girl woke. Unfortunately, the loud clatter made as she dropped a metal bowl filled with pancake mix woke her friend up. Myra walked in the kitchen, obviously having thought someone was breaking in, to see Anne standing in the middle of the kitchen, eyes closed and splattered with pancake mix, along with the floor and nearest wall. She peeked an eye open, but quickly closed it, feeling the embarrassment heat up her face, just to be cooled by dripping mix. Her friend finally started laughing, clinging to the door frame to keep herself held up. "Yeah yeah. How about you stop laughing and help me?" she said, her tone anything but amused. And she had tried so hard, too... After they cleaned up, Anne stepped back to let Myra do the cooking, once again wishing that things had never changed.

Name: Jonathan Davis Lafferty

Appearance:

Description: Jonathan, commonly called Jon by friends and acquaintances, is a slim but well built man. In his younger years, having fought in the Vietnam War, he'd received many scars. His left eye, destroyed from a close mortar, is now a glass bulb with the same blue coloring has his functioning eye, still causing pain after many years: it leaves him with nights full of tossing and turning due to severe headaches. His left hand is missing his pinky finger - lost to the war as well - butJon has no recollection of when or how it happened. His skin seems thick, as does his will, both complimenting each other in an old but sturdy type of way. His body is still fit enough to compete with some men in their prime, though his age has begun to show.

His facial hair had become thick but well trimmed and his hair is still cut as if he served in the army to this day, despite his retirement after seventeen years of service and a medical discharge for his severe migraines. Small scars dot the left side of his face where small fragments of rock and metal had once embedded themselves into his skin, leaving his large, arched nose scar-free and set above a thin set of pursed lips, still at attention for no commanding officer.

His fashion is simple: blue jeans and a plain shirt with a tight collar at the neck, complimented by a pair of heavy duty construction boots with small black and brown scratches over the once yellow mesh. The age of his clothes reflects his age as a man, this too reflecting his hardworking nature but hardly giving any revelation to the lack of sympathy this man had toward others. He is cold and blunt, but believes that any man or woman can overcome any obstacle with enough will and determination.

Never married, no children, and one-to-many women's faces scattered across his memory, creates a lonely individual who finds solace in observing others, as if a silent conversation had taken place from viewing distance. He felt this way about a young clerk from one of the Asian countries, though he'd never bothered asking where; he'd seen this same man age from but a boy from the perspective of a liquor store counter, partially hidden by lottery tickets, cigarettes and glass glass pipes. Yet, he felt he knew the young man as if he'd had many conversations over the subject of life. The distant yet concentrated look in the boys eyes, the callused skin on his fingers and palms, but most of all his ability to greet each customer with an oddly warm smile; his seemingly inconsequential respect toward random individuals for that short period of time was but a small shining hope that helped Jon keep respect for the human race.

Height: 5' 10" -- Five feet, ten inches.

Weight: 192 lbs/ 87 kg

Hair Color: Small traces of brown linger in his beard under his lower lip and sparsely in his sideburns. Otherwise, he has become grey all over with hardly any signs of balding.

Eye Color: Navy blue

Biography: Jon was born in rural Indiana, though his family moved to Alabama when his father had taken a job on an oil rig; his mother stayed at home to look after her five year old son. As time progressed, Jon grew to be a model soldier, patriotic and obedient, though he did not forget to serve his own ends.

At nineteen, Jon drafted into the army to fight in the Vietnamese War. After a full tour and some, Jon spent two grueling years in Vietnam and another fifteen serving in the army, after which he took his money, his retirement package, and the clothes on his back, and began roaming the country; going where his mind called him to go or maybe heading to where he could shed himself of his memories of the war and forget his life. But there was no escaping his service.

For the past twelve years he has rented a small studio apartment in North Kansas City, which has remained bare with the exception of a few appliances, a bookcase stuffed with suspense and horror novels, an old tube television, and a single mattress with an old worn comforter neatly folded at its head. Otherwise, it has remained clean at all times, occasionally seeing the company of a young tramp of a woman, picked up in a dive bar or some other unruly part of town; cocaine, alcohol, cigarette and smoke were the combination of smells which left this lonely place a stale reminder of a squandered life.

One night he came back to his apartment after stumbling three blocks from the nearest bar, a half empty bottle of well-whiskey in one hand and a whore in the other. Laying in bed one last time, only to wake up to the cold air of a cellar, unable to see through the blinding darkness; for the first time in many years, he felt a sensation of grief he'd not felt since the day his mother died in '84. Helplessness washed over him as his muscles went limp and he whimpered into the darkness, calling for his mother.

Sample:

Jon watched with his one good eye down from the balcony of his studio apartment, people going about their daily lives below, weaving about the streets and stores, their cars and bikes, their tiny phones and over-sized cups. He spit into a rusted coffee can to his left, filled with the dried brown mucus from many months of chewing tobacco, rain and a few dents from the occasional kick. He panned his vision from the street below up the apartment building opposite to him to view many closed but broken blinds. He could see a television set in the floor across from him playing some cartoon with two children jumping around burning off their youthful energy, three windows to the left he could see a young man, both hands clasped around his forehead, his body shaking and elbows propped on a table. He grew weary of his observations suddenly, turned to his apartment, gathered his shoes tucked near next to his door and gathered his keys, phone and wallet which rested in his Kansas City Chiefs head cap.
Exiting the elevator, he silently commented to himself his joy to not share such a confined space with any other individual for the twenty-three story ride. Each time he did, he'd repeat in the back of his mind, "Don't converse. Don't converse. Don't converse." Despite the few times he did have a conversation with another tenant being amusing or an informative exchange of information. It never occurred to him however and only the elevator knew of his tense pressure to seek to be solitary in that short ride. As Jon exited the front door, he removed a pair of old reflective glasses he'd had since 1979 during his days in the military. He had a certain affection toward the glasses, as if they were a pair of lovers that he'd never part with, but would never complain about the weather or the wait in a line, but would always be there to shield his eyes from the damned sun.

He made his way down the block, stopped in a convenience store that he'd been going to for twelve years. "Ah'beebs Discount Liquor & Smokes". 'Just my kind of place' he thought every time the sign came into view past the row of tree's on the street side. The young man who had been servicing the counter had been there since at least the age of fourteen. Though Jon had never asked, he knew this was the son of the proprietor in this establishment. He rarely spoke, he made strong eye contact and always seemed indifferent in the emotion upon his face. Not but once had Jon seen a look of sadness upon his face, not but once in the past twelve years. But he for some reason thought highly of the boy, in some cases Jon even questioned as to why, but quickly waved it off and continued with the usual pint of well-whiskey and a packet of two pain pills.

It was no longer to keep the pain away, it was as habitual as the rest of his life had become until a night where he would be whisked away to a place far outside his daily routine he'd become so settled into. It was then that Jon would begin to remember something he'd dreadfully tried to block from his mind for so long...

Thank you Flufferbutt and DGraves! The Roster has been updated!