4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Medieval Fantasy, High Fantasy
Hoyo everyone!

I'm a huge ARK nerd and have put more hours into the Steam version alone than any one human being should be allowed to. I think I have a problem. Lol.

Anyway, I have an idea for an RP about ARK which I will outline... Nnnnnnnnnnnow!

EDIT: Here is the Characters OOC Page: ARK: Survival Evolved (Characters and OOC Chat)

The Premise

Human beings from all across history are being transported to a strange land unlike any they've ever seen. An island, surrounded on all sides by water that appears never-ending, serves as their only home and hope of survival. With creatures both large and small, and unknown to our intrepid survivors, this island serves as a testing ground for those in the Genesis Simulation to survive, Ascend, and eventually defeat the mad beast known as Rockwell.

Will you survive, or will you fall by the wayside like so many before you?​

The Draws

Okay, so it's more what I'm hoping will be the draws of this RP. Lol.

• You may create a character from any time period in real human history
  • All canon story maps of the ARK game will feature
  • All tameable creatures will be tameable (and can die if not cared for, left in the wilderness, or overpowered by dangerous creatures)
  • I will be adding mod content to the RP since a lot of mods are QOL, aesthetic, or otherwise perfectly believable in their functionality and could be considered "vanilla" and don't break the core story or plot in any way
  • All major game mechanics like the learning of Engrams, crafting, inventory, cooking, etc will feature with a few exceptions detailed below this list
  • Our primary antagonist is Rockwell whose influence will be felt in the first two story maps (The Island and Scorched Earth), and become more pronounced until he becomes a full presence by the time we reach Genesis
  • NPC's will occupy The Island and have Tribes of varying sizes of their own ranging from solo survivors to massive Tribes of 20+ people, and many of them can be recruited to our own Tribe if we play our cards right
  • Some NPC's will serve as secondary antagonists in the RP story; these NPC's are not recruitable
  • Romance is allowed, but no smut (I don't have anything against smut, but I also don't want it to distract from the adventure)
Certain game mechanics have been removed for the sake of not confusing anyone, or overcomplicating our efforts.

Removals include EXP, Levels, Stats, and Engram Points (I have a new system in place to be detailed below).

Instead, the RP will focus on a more realistic system wherein which we will get injured the same as we would in a real life situation involving the kinds of creatures and enemies we'll face. If you get shot by an arrow, you have an arrow in you that needs to be removed and the wound tended to after. If you're bitten by a creature, depending on what it was you might have a small, medium, or large bite wound to deal with or be missing a limb. Cause yes. You can lose limbs and die in this simulation. In fact, death is going to happen to your character at least once. More info on that in the next section.

Outside of the inventory, crafting, and other game features like the HLNA companion (which we all will have) this RP is going to try to be realistic with ARK's initial premise wherever possible. Anywhere it's not possible we'll let it remain as pure science fiction and fantasy.

Finally, when it comes to Engrams we'll still be following the actual ARK engram list in order to progress. However, unlike the games where you have to level up and unlock them I have a different method of progression in mind.

As our characters acclimate and learn to tame the world and creatures of the ARK, the HLNA companions will passively unlock knowledge of how to progress based on what our characters do, want to do, and their real life knowledge before they found themselves in the ARK.

For example, if one of our characters is a modern day mechanical engineer his knowledge of engineering and mechanical devices would help his HLNA companion unlock the knowledge of how to build the electronic engrams of ARK including the Fabricator, Electrical Generator, Air Conditioner, etc. If another character is a Renaissance painter they'd inherently know how to create ways to do art, and the HLNA would unlock the knowledge of making dye to color our gear, make banners, etc. A modern doctor would know how to create the healing items, narcotics, etc we'd need to survive and tame creatures.

Long story short, Engram knowledge is not shared which is a good incentive for us all to have as much variety in our character backgrounds as possible. This way everyone's characters have an opportunity to be "the guy/girl" to go to if you need a particular item, weapon, armor set, or function performed for you. For example, if one of our characters is a feudal Japanese samurai from the Shogunate era, but takes an interest in the advanced firearms like the assault rifle, they would have to ask the Engineer character to craft it for them and supply them with the ammunition since the samurai would have no knowledge of his/her own to do so.

And yes. For those wondering this does mean that I'm disallowing "teaching" others how to do what you do or what you know. This RP is going to establish variety and keep it throughout because everyone should have something in the RP only their character knows or can do.

And no. You may not make a character with a "jack of all trades" background so you can unlock as many Engrams as possible. Your character's knowledge must be focused so you have one major specialty that doesn't try to circumvent this rule so you can do the same thing as multiple other characters. Anyone caught trying to go this route will be instantly kicked from the RP.

Death in the RP

As stated before, death is expected in the early section of the RP. After all, this is ARK. It's unforgiving. Unfair. And it will catch you by surprise with creatures like Raptors, Carnos, Rexes, etc that can ambush you and take you out in one shot.

So your character is going to die. Depending on how comfortable you are with this, they may die a lot.

However, death can be permanent in this RP under a specific circumstance.

The lore change I've made to the death and respawn mechanic is that the HLNA companion was designed by Helena to protect the survivor at all costs. HLNA will be able to revive the survivor once per 'Cycle,' which is to say once every three in-world days. If your character dies twice within a three day period, that second death is permanent.

However, I like to believe that this opens up interesting opportunities for us all. For example, if you design a character who you eventually grow tired of... Kill em off and make a new one! It's that simple! Your new character obviously has to start from scratch. But if they're able to find the primary group in good time they can join the Tribe and get brought up to speed in no time flat.

Additionally, it's a good storytelling element. If your character happens to be going through a development phase where they're becoming arrogant and too confident in their survival abilities, and then they get munched by a T-Rex who ambushes them, that's a pretty humbling experience because they'll feel the pain of death and respawn remembering what it felt like.

OKAY!!

I know that was a lot of words for an otherwise simple RP interest check. But hey! I try to be as thorough as possible whenever I start up an RP and hope for others to join!

If you would be interested in this concept please reply to this thread! If enough people show interest I'll go ahead and make a fresh OOC page in the Extra Pages section where we can put up character sheets and shoot the shit until the RP starts!

If you have any pressing questions about how the RP will work please feel free to throw as many questions at me as possible and I'll be happy to answer them all!

Cheers!

~ GojiBean

Last edited:
Reactions: Manna Beast
Colour me intrigued

Oh no. ARK. It haunts me. But it's so good...
I am interested

Last edited: