Are you happy?

Are you happy?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall, well not really, I guess? Things tend to go up and down for me a lot, but at least I'm getting a clearer idea of what I want to be and what I want to do with myself now... Maybe. And I have depression, I've learned to accept that there will and could be dark clouds, and I can't always control when they come up. However, I've learned to just bask in the sunshine where there is sunshine. ^^

Despite not being happy, I still think life is a very beautiful thing.

Yes. Life isn't going to hold my hand through the hard times, and I've learned to understand that.

Having a dog helps.

Last edited:
Having a dog helps.
I agree, I had a dog for years, until a few days ago...

Still, I'm happy, about 90% of the time. And when I'm not, I'm motivated and working towards getting happy, again.

I think life is defined more towards moments of happiness -- how often do we really stop and say, "Wow today I am happy!" but instead, "Oh man I was so happy during that even / at that moment / when I was told this thing."

However, in the past 3 years, I have had a lot more moments of happiness than I had in entire life. Life is good, I have financial security, I have a community I feel like I belong to, and I have friends I can talk about anything to and fool around with, and I have a loving partner. :)

When you deal with co workers shit for two years and they throw every excuse in the book as to why this wasn't done or straight up lie to you. Then happy isn't what I would say. I am happy though, just not at work anymore.

Basically it comes down to me worrying that I'm too dysfunctional to survive in the 'real world', and/or that I'll spend my whole life pushing myself to the point of exhaustion just to get by

Okay speaking as someone with almost 0 ambition to someone who seems to have a lot, I don't think you need to worry about making it in the 'real world'.

A couple of years ago I had a meltdown and dropped out of my fancy private university. I worked several entry level jobs to survive and sucked at all of them. I'd work for a few months, become demoralized, and quit. I'm just really bad at capitalism, tbh. I was the epitome of dysfunction and I thought I'd be a chronic failure forever.

Then I started volunteering for the refugee center. I taught free English classes to people from all around the world. It was fun, rewarding, and I was actually kinda good at it. It totally renewed my confidence and taught me a lot about the work I can and should do. After that I moved to my dream city and started working my current job as a service worker. I'm happier and better off than ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can fail hard but if you put your energies in stuff that's empowering to you there's always a way to bounce back. I hope this doesn't come off as preachy. I just want you to know that I feel you. Hang in there.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brovo and Greenie
Well.. My lifes dandy right now, my fathers going to jail, my grandfathers on his deathbed and my mothers disappeared somewhere south with my sister... Just... Dandy

Okay speaking as someone with almost 0 ambition to someone who seems to have a lot, I don't think you need to worry about making it in the 'real world'.

A couple of years ago I had a meltdown and dropped out of my fancy private university. I worked several entry level jobs to survive and sucked at all of them. I'd work for a few months, become demoralized, and quit. I'm just really bad at capitalism, tbh. I was the epitome of dysfunction and I thought I'd be a chronic failure forever.

Then I started volunteering for the refugee center. I taught free English classes to people from all around the world. It was fun, rewarding, and I was actually kinda good at it. It totally renewed my confidence and taught me a lot about the work I can and should do. After that I moved to my dream city and started working my current job as a service worker. I'm happier and better off than ever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can fail hard but if you put your energies in stuff that's empowering to you there's always a way to bounce back. I hope this doesn't come off as preachy. I feel you. Hang in there.
Eh... I mean... I already am on the track I should be to get into the sorts of careers that I want to get into. The problem isn't finding stuff that's "empowering" as much as it's just... having the energy to put into things in the first place. I feel like I just don't have the stamina to do everything that a functional adult would be expected to do. And me enjoying what I'm doing really doesn't help in that regard, because even my hobbies, like RPing, are still things that take up a lot of mental stamina and focus, which are sort of limited resources for me.

And it's not like I'm really worried about having the "right" job as much as just having... really any career, while worrying about other adult things like bills and taxes and buying groceries. And I should emphasize, money is really not the concern here, as much as just stamina. I feel like I can hardly ever find the time and energy to do my own laundry, for fucks sake -- so it's a bit difficult for me to even imagine staying on top of all the things that living on my own would require me to keep track of, on top of whatever my actual job entails.

Recently I've been feeling like my whole life is just one long to-do list, and pushing myself to exhaustion to complete everything on that to-do list, which just leaves me feeling burnt out and apathetic towards everything, and therefore hurts my productivity -- and while I'm in desperate need of a break and I know that I should take one, it seems like there's almost never a time when I can actually give myself the rest I need while still being able to complete the to-do list that is my life.

And, like, I'm still getting by... for now. But, I'm only a college student. Things are just going to get more difficult from here on out. And, having that thought in mind not only makes me worried for the future, but it also just leaves me thinking, "what's even the point? Why live life when there won't be any time left for me to enjoy it?"

This rant is getting dark, so I'll cut it off here. But, hopefully this paints a better picture of why I'm just not currently happy with my life...

@Kagayours
Things don't necessarily get harder after college. For most of the people I know college was the absolute low point. You may want to explore mental health resources available to you at school or in the community. Speaking from an excess of experience, that existential hopeless feeling can be really dangerous. Anyway, sorry for overstepping. Your comments rang some bells so I felt compelled to say something out of obligation to my miserable college-age self.

You may want to explore mental health resources available to you at school or in the community.
Yeah... I've been meaning to look into that...

But who has the time...

Edit: I have no idea why the sizes got weird in the quote. I didn't do that. o_o

Last edited:
And, like, I'm still getting by... for now. But, I'm only a college student. Things are just going to get more difficult from here on out. And, having that thought in mind not only makes me worried for the future, but it also just leaves me thinking, "what's even the point? Why live life when there won't be any time left for me to enjoy it?"
Learn to enjoy what it is that you do, and find purpose in it. I worked at Arby's for a while, and I found purpose and enjoyment out of it by working the drive-through area and making funny voices in it. (Then I got fired because I was too white, but that's a tale for another time.) I landed this security job I'm working now while nearly completely broke, and again--I have found enjoyment in it. There are some shifts where I'm surrounded by dozens of morons vomiting and screeching, and I pretend to be an action hero badass trying to contain it. Then there are shifts where everything is dead slow, and I'm literally just guarding a set of stairs and staring at drywall whiter than me for six hours. You know what time it is? Time to write in my notebook for six hours about D&D campaign shit, yeeeaawww!

When I worked at Home Depot alone at night stocking their shelves, I would sing to myself. When I worked at Pizza Hut at the age of 15 (because my family was dirt fuckin' poor don't judge me) I threw pizzas in the oven and pretended I was going for a high score.

Also, being the writer that I am, I looked at every single day of work as an opportunity to gain more stories. Whether it was dealing with some pissy customer being an entitled piece of shit human being, or having someone tip me 20 dollars from out of the blue, or dealing with a heroin junkie in the bathroom--every day was a day I could gain a new story to tell my friends. All the while, I was being paid, which let me buy food, pay for rent, pay for education, and buy the occasional toy so I could unwind after a long work day.

There are some things in life you have to do. You have to get a job, you have to sustain yourself--this much is true. It'll also consume 40 hours a week of your life not including travel time, so yes, you get a lot less time to play games and read comics and other stuff like that. That being said, learn to love what you do, and you'll enjoy every day of your life. Or, at the very least, you'll find fulfillment out of it.

I've met people working for minimum wage in Subways who loved every day of their life. I see this one subway every 1-2 weeks and the workers there love their jobs, two of them have worked there for over five years.

I've also met incredibly wealthy people with enviable jobs who are spite-ridden self-hating narcissistic vampires, who suck the joy out of everything in life. God knows there are lots of stories of Hollywood actors and writers and directors who became millionaires, yet who still ended up as drug-abusing sorrow-filled debt-ridden rejects.

Money buys comfort, not happiness. Comfort can ease happiness, but happiness comes from within. Happiness comes from you. That's why our medieval ancestors found ways to be happy even though most of them died before they were 40--from childbirth, war, disease, or a combination of all three.

Also, final note: Full time College also consumes about 40 hours a week of your life in most programs. Some a few more, some a few less. You have to go to class, and do your homework, and study, and write essays, and so on. There's maybe a little more forgiveness in college, but not much more than you'd receive in most jobs, really.

Combine College with a job and you're probably closer to juggling 50-60 hours a week of labour. When you leave college, you'll actually have more free time--not less.

If anything, worrying about your future is a pretty clear sign that you've started growing up and seeing the bigger picture. Every adult is worried to death about jobs, taxes, and their future--that's the #1 rallying cry of every political party in the world right now. So you're not alone, and it's not absurd for you to be concerned... So, ironically, you can relax about that. :ferret:

Learn to enjoy what it is that you do, and find purpose in it. I worked at Arby's for a while, and I found purpose and enjoyment out of it by working the drive-through area and making funny voices in it. (Then I got fired because I was too white, but that's a tale for another time.) I landed this security job I'm working now while nearly completely broke, and again--I have found enjoyment in it. There are some shifts where I'm surrounded by dozens of morons vomiting and screeching, and I pretend to be an action hero badass trying to contain it. Then there are shifts where everything is dead slow, and I'm literally just guarding a set of stairs and staring at drywall whiter than me for six hours. You know what time it is? Time to write in my notebook for six hours about D&D campaign shit, yeeeaawww!

When I worked at Home Depot alone at night stocking their shelves, I would sing to myself. When I worked at Pizza Hut at the age of 15 (because my family was dirt fuckin' poor don't judge me) I threw pizzas in the oven and pretended I was going for a high score.

Also, being the writer that I am, I looked at every single day of work as an opportunity to gain more stories. Whether it was dealing with some pissy customer being an entitled piece of shit human being, or having someone tip me 20 dollars from out of the blue, or dealing with a heroin junkie in the bathroom--every day was a day I could gain a new story to tell my friends. All the while, I was being paid, which let me buy food, pay for rent, pay for education, and buy the occasional toy so I could unwind after a long work day.

There are some things in life you have to do. You have to get a job, you have to sustain yourself--this much is true. It'll also consume 40 hours a week of your life not including travel time, so yes, you get a lot less time to play games and read comics and other stuff like that. That being said, learn to love what you do, and you'll enjoy every day of your life. Or, at the very least, you'll find fulfillment out of it.

I've met people working for minimum wage in Subways who loved every day of their life. I see this one subway every 1-2 weeks and the workers there love their jobs, two of them have worked there for over five years.

I've also met incredibly wealthy people with enviable jobs who are spite-ridden self-hating narcissistic vampires, who suck the joy out of everything in life. God knows there are lots of stories of Hollywood actors and writers and directors who became millionaires, yet who still ended up as drug-abusing sorrow-filled debt-ridden rejects.

Money buys comfort, not happiness. Comfort can ease happiness, but happiness comes from within. Happiness comes from you. That's why our medieval ancestors found ways to be happy even though most of them died before they were 40--from childbirth, war, disease, or a combination of all three.

Also, final note: Full time College also consumes about 40 hours a week of your life in most programs. Some a few more, some a few less. You have to go to class, and do your homework, and study, and write essays, and so on. There's maybe a little more forgiveness in college, but not much more than you'd receive in most jobs, really.

Combine College with a job and you're probably closer to juggling 50-60 hours a week of labour. When you leave college, you'll actually have more free time--not less.

If anything, worrying about your future is a pretty clear sign that you've started growing up and seeing the bigger picture. Every adult is worried to death about jobs, taxes, and their future--that's the #1 rallying cry of every political party in the world right now. So you're not alone, and it's not absurd for you to be concerned... So, ironically, you can relax about that. :ferret:

The issue isn't finding work that I enjoy, though. It's just having the stamina to actually do it. Like I said, I'm already on the right track to get into a career that I enjoy. My fear is just... not being able to keep up with it. I enjoy RPing, for example, but it still takes up mental effort and stamina. And so, if it became too demanding for me to keep up with, well, of course it would become stressful and lead to burnout.

Right now, for example, I feel like I hardly ever have time for my non-mentally-taxing hobbies... That's really what I'm getting at. I'm constantly pushing myself to exhaustion, and that's why I'm not happy. If there were a few more hours in the day, I'd be pretty happy with a lot of what I'm already doing. But since everything in life feels like it's being condensed into this to-do list format... *sigh* I'm sorry, I'm not very good at explaining myself, here.

Nope. This year has been by far the worst in my life. I lost a lot of people I cared about that I couldn't afford to go to their funerals, I ended up in the hospital for months because of severe medical problems, I've been forced to live with an ileostomy, which has from time to time dragged me down to suicidal depression and utterly destroyed my sex life until the reversal, almost all of my friends and all of my family live back home three provinces away, money has been super tight thanks to being off work recovering from surgery, work has been utterly shitting on me to the point I ended up having to work 24 days in a row, I can't exercise or do any physical hobbies (once again, ileostomy), and I barely can sleep a full night's rest.

So yeah. Any year that throws so much insufferable shit at you that a mentally well adjusted and usually happy and driven individual has had periods of thinking running his exhaust through the window to end it all because of a medical procedure he was lied to about the reality of that utterly destroyed most of what makes life enjoyable qualifies as a reason to be unhappy.

The issue isn't finding work that I enjoy, though. It's just having the stamina to actually do it. Like I said, I'm already on the right track to get into a career that I enjoy. My fear is just... not being able to keep up with it. I enjoy RPing, for example, but it still takes up mental effort and stamina. And so, if it became too demanding for me to keep up with, well, of course it would become stressful and lead to burnout.

Right now, for example, I feel like I hardly ever have time for my non-mentally-taxing hobbies... That's really what I'm getting at. I'm constantly pushing myself to exhaustion, and that's why I'm not happy. If there were a few more hours in the day, I'd be pretty happy with a lot of what I'm already doing. But since everything in life feels like it's being condensed into this to-do list format... *sigh* I'm sorry, I'm not very good at explaining myself, here.
@Kagayours - I do understand what you are saying and it comes across quite clearly to me. It can be difficult for people with different temperaments and constitutions (no, not the U.S. Constitution, etc., etc.) to understand the extent to which other individuals lack the stamina, drive, resources to do the things that come more easily to them.

And in general: I understand some people being more happy with doing volunteer work, low-paying work, etc. That's great, I like that too, but most people need to pay rent, food, utilities. In the urban area where I live, a tiny studio apartments easily rents for $2,000 a month ("$2,095 Top Floor Studio Near Dwntwn") in a lousy neighborhood and landlords require that you make three times the salary.

Also, social work is a great vocation, but most of it requires some kind of college. Not everyone has that, either.

Sometimes you are in a job where you can use your spirited attitude to make the best of it. Sometimes you are in a job where other people make your life a misery (being screamed at and demeaned on a daily basis will definitely impact most people). And if you get fired from said lousy job, then you have the stigma of being fired, and not everyone can find another job. Sorry, truth.

Not everyone has the resources to pack up and move in search of a new job. And some don't have family and friends to let you couch surf.

I have lived in cities where people live in tents, on sidewalks, in numbers. An acquaintance of mine recently sneered that "they live on the street, because they want to." They went on to to say, pompously, that America has the welfare system and everyone gets taken care of IF they want it. That's not true. People fall between the cracks.

I realize that (very nice) people do their best to encourage others that if they just have a positive attitude, etc., that they can turn their life around. But there are times that this is not true. I know it's scary to think like this. But there are people who beat themselves up, saying yes, I know I should have a more positive attitude and then my life will change. When there's really a lot more going on than determination and optimism could ever fix. (I could tell you more from case histories, but I don't want everyone throwing themselves off 12-story buildings en masse.)

Sorry, just felt compelled (oh not, not that) to weigh in on the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.