Are you aware you're dreaming or have dream control?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To control ones dream is hard to do at times, but I have managed it. Be able to slip in and out of my dream is something I have done numerous times and it's rather enjoying. What comes as the hardest is being able to control yourself in the dream. Instead of just remaining on autopilot in the dream while in your own body, to take over it and actually feel everything is just awesome. Dream Control is a wonderful thing, it takes time to get it right though and once you do you'll need to try and keep it consistent.

I've only pulled off lucid dreaming 3 times in my life, and not from a lack of trying. The trick is being able to tell yourself when something is wrong in your dreams (to use a favorite example I experienced, I had a dream my high school teacher was a triceratops in a dress shirt and tie and he filled most of the room and I still wasn't able to recognize I was dreaming).

When you do, it's amazing. I remember only one and I was in a house and I decided I didn't want to be there so I pulled up the wall, exposing the cosmos, and I just flew through space until I decided to return to Earth to do other stuff.

All these threads about dreams, and I'm sitting here saying, "I wish I could have those."

Like others I honestly wish I could be aware that I'm dreaming when I do.

But when I am aware, I wake up, or am half asleep and half awake. (Meaning that I'll sometimes make movements I'm making in the dream. Like slapping myself.)
(This usually leads to me oversleeping.)

Sometimes I get stuck in my dreams and my heart will start beating rapidly and I'll wake up and feel like a pulsing or pounding in my head. However sometimes when I have aimless dreams, I often start to get bored I guess, and I'll be able to day dream a bit to change the course of my dreams to something a bit more interesting. :3

I tend to have lucid dreams from time to time but I remember one particular reoccurring nightmare I used to have as a kid quite well. Basically, every time I had the nightmare, this giant ass wolf was chasing my pathetic kid self around our house and at some point, I'd always come to the realization that I was dreaming. However, I still couldn't do anything to stop the wolf from trying to eat me (or whatever the thing had in mind, it's not like I never found out in the end) and the only way I could wake up was that I had to go hide behind the laundry basket, curl up into a ball, close my eyes and wish really hard that I would wake up.

I had that same damn nightmare quite the few times. It always stayed the same and even though I was aware that I was asleep, I still couldn't or wouldn't chance a thing. I always just wanted to wake up from it so I simply did what had been proven effective the first time: Hide behind the damn laundry basket like a true wuss.

I pretty much never have dream control, nor am I aware of the fact that I'm dreaming. In fact, when I do realize that I'm dreaming, I almost always wake up.

Which... actually kind of sucks when it's a really pleasant dream and some part of me thinks "wow this is just too good to be real- OH WAIT" and then I'm awake. And then I'm just like, "Awwwww bring it baaaaack..."

There was one time, though, and only one time that I can actually recall, when I did have some level of dream control. Only a couple weeks ago, I think. I don't remember the details but I remember I walked into a room, and then walked out again, and on my way out, I realized that the arrangement of furniture in the room didn't look quite right (since it was a room in my house and the dream representation of it wasn't exactly true to reality), and then I thought, "Well that's because this is a dream, so details about things will be all weird and inconsistent" -- and, any other night, I would've woken up immediately after thinking that. But no somehow I stayed asleep so then I was like, "I bet if I walked back in there, the furniture would be different from last time", so I did and guess what all the furniture was arranged completely differently. And I thought that was really cool so I kept walking in and out of the room to change where things were, even thinking things like "next time I go in, X object will be in Y location" and everything always moved where I wanted it to. I was just so giddy that I was actually controlling my dream, since people always talk about controlling their dreams but normally I can never get anywhere close to that.

Unfortunately, my morning alarm went off not long after. But it was pretty sweet up until that point.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I almost never remember my dreams. I think this is the most recent dream I've had that I can recall, period.

I woke up today having a dream within a dream sort of deal... :/

It was weird too because in one of the dreams I died (not sure how), and got reincarnated as a baby.
Except this baby retained every single memory that I did... so I was a newborn baby who was talking and then trying to walk but couldn't cause my leg muscles were too weak (cause infant) and then getting annoyed about it.

The only time I've controlled my dreams was when I was stuck in a supermarket and decided it would be an excellent idea to go and kill people with giant half priced watermelons and fish.

Good times.

Ugggh being able to control your dreams is almost worse than not being able to. Take for instance, when you're in a nightmare. I don't know about everyone else, but every time I've tried running from an axe murderer (As in I am actually controlling myself in my dream) I am running through mud as it would seem. My legs refuse to go, my vision is blurry, my head doesn't turn the way I am telling it to. Then I can feel.my heart pounding within my dream. Finally after what seems hours I wake up in cold sweat and out of breath. Then as I fall back asleep I return to the same dream just where it left off, no doubt.

So thus, I hate controlling my dreams.
-___-

Ugggh being able to control your dreams is almost worse than not being able to. Take for instance, when you're in a nightmare. I don't know about everyone else, but every time I've tried running from an axe murderer (As in I am actually controlling myself in my dream) I am running through mud as it would seem. My legs refuse to go, my vision is blurry, my head doesn't turn the way I am telling it to. Then I can feel.my heart pounding within my dream. Finally after what seems hours I wake up in cold sweat and out of breath. Then as I fall back asleep I return to the same dream just where it left off, no doubt.

So thus, I hate controlling my dreams.
-___-

I feel like that's not what most would call "controlling your dreams", though. If you were controlling it, you could just make the axe murderer poof out of existence. You also wouldn't have any problems running. In fact just saying that things aren't turning out the way you want them to pretty much implies that you're not in control.

Most people are kind of able to control themselves in a dream, I would think, at least to some extent. But that's not the same.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I feel like that's not what most would call "controlling your dreams", though. If you were controlling it, you could just make the axe murderer poof out of existence. You also wouldn't have any problems running. In fact just saying that things aren't turning out the way you want them to pretty much implies that you're not in control.

Most people are kind of able to control themselves in a dream, I would think, at least to some extent. But that's not the same.
Oh well in that case I've never experienced that and I don't know whether that would be cool or would scare the shit out of me.

Yea, there's a difference between remembering/experiencing a dream and being in direct control of said dream.

That being said, there is such things as partial control.
But if you were unable to control even yourself?
That implies very limited or a complete lack of control.

Last edited:
I actually have some control of mine. I had to aquire it as a step in combating my nightterrors as a kid.

I can't say quite for sure if my dreams are consistently lucid or not, but I know when I'm dreaming and I can control my field of view and what my hands do, but not my legs.

I've been told you're not supposed to see yourself in dreams but my dreams play out in first person like they would in reality, so I can see my hands and occasionally feet and legs depending on what I'm doing

Never had a dream where I was in control of my actions or my surroundings. Most of the time my dream-self is me minus any knowledge pertaining to dreams; I suppose I'm in control of my dream-self, but are you really in control if you're not really all the way there? I mean, my dream-self has reasoning and empathy but just feels like a version of me I'm remembering rather than one I'm actually being.

Never had a nightmare, either, tangentially. I've had every sort of creepy entity/murder rampage/execution/dying alone dream you can think of, but when I wake up, I've never had more than a slightly elevated heartrate while thinking, "Huh, that was weird." I feel like any time I am hurt in a dream, most of the pain is missing, so I just feel the tactile sensations. One time I was put on my knees and beheaded (I was making too many Skyrim characters, apparently) and all I felt was a papercut and then an actually satisfying snapping sensation in my neck (like when you stretch and your joints pop) before waking up spontaneously.

Even in the darker dreams, though, I just always have a positive state of mind (philosophical curiosity about death, maybe?), which is strange because behind the scenes I'm kind of a cranky ranting pessimist trying to be optimistic; when I'm watching movies, I'm the same way — I always sit there thinking about the next few scenes with excitement as if they're going to solve it diplomatically and live happily ever after, and then the characters go and beat each other up. Mild disappointment ensues.

I used to have a lot of lightweight dreams, where I'd enjoy some Hulk hopping twenty meters at a time or performing some sort of strange dance that I could use to float around if I tried hard enough. Never had falling dreams or total flight. Definitely had stumbling drunken stupor dreams. Usually they're just frustrating, though, so I just wake up annoyed that I couldn't stay upright for more than half a step.

Dreams are weird. o.O

In a way, you can tell you're dreaming if certain things you can usually see in real life (such as a cell phone screen) is blurred out or something is out of place. I myself usually can't tell when I'm dreaming unless the dream is something so outrageously fabricated to the unfortunate point that I know it isn't real. My dreams come and do as they please whether they scare me, foreshadow future happenings, or simply place me in a realm that only I can delve into and shows me things only I can see and know.

It's interesting and awesome that you know you are dreaming and thus can bend them in a way, which is also known as "lucid dreaming". Just to sympathize with you, I've been having demonic dreams as well which I never have before, but I don't really know why and what they're doing so suddenly in the bowels of my brain. To be honest, if you've never dreamt of something similar to that before, it's just a sort of conjuring your brain has probably brewed from a past situation or something scary you've seen, but if not, then make sure you keep yourself protected from such things because you could go into uncharted territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.