Aquatic Paramour

A nervous expression broke Orion's mask of calmness. Sarah mentioned the surface before, but all of a sudden she just wanted to escape there? The idea scared him, and fear was not a common feeling for him. Humans were aliens to him, so he didn't really trust them. Then again, he didn't trust anything that was a stranger to him. It was for the best, so he wouldn't endanger his princess.

"Of course... Let's leave here. But let us not be so hasty going on land," Orion told her carefully, his fingers flexing around the halberd he held. Of all creatures to trust, it was Sarah. Wherever she went, he would follow. She always knew what she was doing. "We should plan things out first. How familiar are you with the human world? What's the safest place to go?"

Following his inquiries, he extended an arm and laid it across her shoulders, then he guided her away from the kingdom they were in.

"I'm only familiar with our shores.. but.. there's a village not far from here, with nice people, and lots of places we could work. We'll have to adjust, being on two legs, and breathing air, but it's better than us being separated by Luther's childish prejudice." She looked hopeful as they swam away from the palace. Her parents could just settle peace between kingdoms another way. She'd tried her best, and found life here intolerable, after only being here a few hours! She lead them both towards the ocean surface, not wanting to use her magic until they were at least closer to the shores of. . .Florida!

Moments when Sarah wasn't looking in his direction, Orion made a nervous expression. Even touching the surface gave him a bad feeling. This in no way affected his swimming, though. He maintained a confident pace and looked no less serious than usual about protecting his princess. Many thoughts ran in his mind as he pressed on. What would her parents think? Was this as safe as she said it was? How difficult was walking, compared to swimming? Would he even fit in with humans?

A sigh escaped him then, forming a trail of bubbles from his lips that spun upwards until they'd pop at the water's surface. He noticed the temperature increasing. They were in Florida, whatever that meant. All he could assume was that the climate was warmer than what he was used to. They had a ways to go, though. So he thought. They weren't nearly far away enough to be out of sight and out of mind.

Well... They'd never be out of mind, per say.

"They'll track us, and hunt for us. I'll protect you 'till my last breath, as you know, your highness... I just want you to understand what risks you're taking."

Orion smiled meekly afterward and mentally kicked himself for even saying that. She was old enough to make her own decisions. His lame advice and guidance was unnecessary now, probably.

Sarah held Orion's hands as they swam ever-upward. "I know... they will. But think they'll even recognize us as humans? It's laughable, unless they watch us from crystal mirrors. Then we -are- in trouble. But I have to try. We can't thrive in a world of prejudice. You know that. I won't let my favorite guard be so rudely insulted... Besides.." They were almost at the surface now, and very close to the shore.

"If we stayed there, then Luther would have found a horrible way to embarrass both of us for years on end in front of the entire court. I could bare it for myself. I'm used to being the odd one out... But it's for both of us that we have to try to live. Not just exist." She only hoped Luther wouldn't call a war against her kingdom for fleeing... but she felt so trapped she could almost suffocate right there in the water!

"We'll figure it out, I promise, Orion.. but I only want to be with you." Soon they were at the shore's edge, just above the water's surface. She held her breath, indicating Orion should do the same and called silently upon her magic. Immediately, both of them glowed a brilliant, blinding flash of silvery-green. Fins became human legs. Gills turned into lungs. Their organs transformed into purely human ones, and at that instant, Sarah pulled them both to the surface, gasping for breath. Thankfully, she wasn't nude, her dress covered most of her, though the blue blouse was fairly short around her legs! She smiled, for the first time all day, and helpd Orion to the shore!

On two feet, she now stood, glancing at the dark, blue waves that crashed against rocks and boulders. And she loved the sight of all the surface world, through human eyes. She helped Orion to his feet, and helped him to learn how to walk on strong, new legs that suited him just perfect!

Orion's head was beginning to spin from the long lasted breath holding. Anxiety was also settling in. This was very far from the depths he was used to and the sights to behold... They were incredible as they were scary. He'd never felt actual sunshine on his skin before, nor had he let oxygen kiss his flesh the way it did. Everything was so different. He wasn't sure if he liked it or not.

Obediently, he followed hand in hand with Sarah. There was an uncomfortable transformation going on with his lower half. His tail was splitting into a pair of legs, which were well toned like his arms. Markings stretched down the lengths of them, as well, matching the tribal ones he had all over his torso since birth. His hand gripped tighter to her hand, desperately hoping he wouldn't drown or stumble or...well, do anything else lame. For once in his life, he felt helpless.

When they arrived at the shore, he let out his breath and began teaching himself the use of his lungs. The first few times, he despised it. Air was nowhere near as enjoyable as water. There was a strange taste to it, too. That, on top of learning to walk, was over whelming. The sands were sticking to his feet quite annoyingly! More than once, he fell. The entire experience was embarrassing for Orion, who wasn't even clothed. Not a little bit. Under the water, he didn't wear anything. Being on land didn't change that. He did not know the difference, though. Exposing his privates brought no shame, as he had no clue what it even was.

Orion set his halberd into the ground and used it to help support him. Walking was becoming easier, but he required a break. For now, he just stood there to look at what all was around him. With one hand still firmly wrapped around his weapon, the other pushed his wet bangs aside to allow him better vision. His long hair was sticking to the back of his neck; a feeling he wasn't familiar with. He was used to it always flowing in the sea.

"I don't believe I've been this scared since being... A pup," he admitted, his stone cold eyes blinking at the ball of light in the sky. A pointy tooth stuck out, biting at his lower lip. Although he turned human, there were predatory features to him still. His teeth were dangerously sharp and his spine was spike-like.

It seemed that no matter where he went, he would look... Different.

"It'll get easier, Orion, I promise. And you look so tall dark and handsome, you're a real dream boat." She added, fluttering her eyelashes at him! She sat next to him, putting a comforting arm around his shoulders. "Humans... are odd. But the freedom they have is worth everything we had to deal with below in the sea kingdom. I could find work, maybe at a grocery store, or even an office job... won't matter really." She ran a hand through her hair, her eyes a bit troubled.

But even though she worried about how to survive, she wasn't ever going back to Prince Luther. The pompous ass deserved to be eaten by a whale or live alone the rest of his life. She really was unused to feeling so hateful towards anyone; but Luther had really pushed all the wrong buttons he possibly could. If she never saw him again, she'd be very happy!

Orion was looking down at his feet where sand was collecting, due to the traces of water on his skin. The feeling was so uncomfortable... Yet, he enjoyed it. Water was his life, so any experience with it was a pleasant one. He admired the strength and chemistry of water as it clung to the sands of the beach. This fascination stemmed questions; what else can water do? What do humans do with water aside from float or swim? Does water really fall from the sky?

The words 'grocery' and 'office' were foreign to him. Those didn't exist beneath the sea. Sarah seemed to know what she was doing and talking about, though. So, he did not ask or doubt her. "Will we ever be able to return to the ocean?" he asked somberly, curious to know if this was a permanent spell. Additionally, he wondered if she'd allow them to. Or at least allow him to. He already missed his tail and gills dearly.

A chill climbed along his body, causing some reactions he didn't know how to deal with. His skin crawled with goosebumps as it shivered and in between his legs, some activity sparked. Orion knew that was his genitalia; he wasn't completely ignorant. Still, he hadn't a clue how to take care of this body!

"And worry not about that prince, your majesty. His hand will not reach you. Land, sky or sea, I will protect you."

Sarah hugged Orion, so glad she wasn't alone right then! "I'll explain all the human body stuff you'll need to know." She said, sitting next to him on a boulder. She took her time about describing the human anatomy, for both males and females. But even as she described the details, and how things worked, she was also wondering about how they were going to survive. Right now, they were penniless, and homeless. Anything could happen to them!

But Sarah had another special talent as a mermaid. She could literally locate -any- treasure at the bottom of the ocean. She knew, at that moment, there were a dozen or more chests full of gold, not too far from where Luther's palace was! But it wasn't on Luther's palace grounds, more like 10 miles away. Still, it was awfully risky to go down there and retrieve the money. Perhaps if they took a little at a time, and cashed it in, they'd be alright, and less conspicuous.

Being above ground was proving to have a lot more drama and stress already. But Sarah wanted nothing to do with the ocean life. Of being nothing but a pretty pawn on an underwater chess board. No one would really miss her down there, so she thought.

Orion was over whelmed by the information given about human anatomy. His mind could not possibly keep it all in its memories. Additionally, he wasn't the most intellectual sort. His race of merfolk weren't exactly 'smart'. They were savages and all they knew how to do was kill. Unfortunately, that same principle applied to Orion. The only difference was he had better control over his predatory urges because of the way he was raised as a slave.

"I suppose there will be much more for you to teach me," he said after a long moment of silence, his brain still trying to make sense of everything she'd told him. Some of it clicked right away, but the rest? He wished he had some visuals for. Next time, maybe she'd use their bodies as examples whilst explaining everything to him.

"I'm beginning to feel... Cold, I think," he then told her, his muscular arms folding over his bare chest with the halberd still in his hand. Orion had no clothes on and as the night grew older, the temperature dropped.

Sarah was cold as well. Being only covered in her dress, she noticed the night air was chilly on her water-soaked body. Orion looked even more freezing than herself, so she kissed his cheek. "Wait here. I'm going to get something from the ocean. I promise it won't take me any longer than 20 minutes. If it does, you can look for me."

She smiled, and with natural-grace of having practiced being human for ages, she ran right into the waves, and dove out of sight. As she swam, holding her now-human breath, she concentrated on becoming a mermaid. Her fins sprouted again, and she could breathe much easier under water. What she was looking for was treasure. Her gift allowed her to locate it instantly, and as she saw the giant treasure chest just below the surface of the Florida beach, she saw it was already open. Gold coins, ropes of pearls, huge rubies, diamonds, emeralds, along with other assorted jewels were visible in the dark waters. As soon as she was close, she grabbed a nearby cloth-sack, and filled it almost to the brim, tied it close, and carried it back towards the surface in a rush.

Once at the surface, she turned human, and dragged the treasure on to the shore, wringing her hair free of clinging droplets. "Okay. That was easy. Now we have to cash this in, open a bank account, get normal clothes, an apartment, food, and I think furniture can be done later." She was thinking out loud how nice everything was, even all these complicated steps were better than being 'owned' by that Pompous Ass Luther.

"Don't worry Orion, we'll be fine." She told him, leading the way from the beach, and towards a near-by pawn shop that especially paid high prices for gold.