1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
A Hastily Written Götterdämmerung fanfic

Spoiler Warning.
It had been twenty years since the final fall of the gods. Twenty years of peace and gentle prosperity. Oh there had been squabbles and there had been spats but there were scarce few people who still had a taste for violence after the final war of the gods and their schemes and machinations were always quickly suppressed by those who craved peace. Gencha and the other remaining cities of the Ivory Circle had rebuilt and commerce once more flowed between them. The town of Eles, under Lady Allie's watchful eye, had grown too with many of the remaining immortals having found their way their over the decades. Even those who had chosen to stay in Gencha after the war had mostly joined the towns ranks. When asked most merely said that it felt like the place they belonged now and left it at that.

All of this change and progress was unknown to Grene. She had spent the last twenty years hidden from the world deep in a quickly growing forest. She and Wyllow had restored the dryad's grove. It had been a long process. Long enough for Grene to come to terms with what fate had done to her. She no longer longed for death as she once had, the knowledge that it would come for her before too long was a comfort. The peace she had known for a few precious moments would be hers again, it was a certainty.

An unexpected fact of knowing that her death was waiting for her was that Grene had begun to long to travel again. While she was happy with her life in the dryad's grove the tug of mortality made her realise how much of the world she wanted to see just one more time. After much thought, trying to talk herself out of it and finally a tearful farewell she had set out on her journeys once more.

She had headed south for several weeks. The world of mortals held little interest for her. The speaker of the dead and his genocidal campaign had left many areas of the world completely devoid of mortals and without them nature had reclaimed the land in all its wild glory. Grene quite enjoyed walking gently through the ruins of towns and marveling how nature had taken back what was rightfully it's. She missed having company though. In twenty years of living with Wyllow had gotten used to having someone to talk to. While she felt at home surrounded by plants they weren't great conversationalists. Perhaps fate, mindful of what it had done to this poor soul felt need to make amends.​

As Grene was sitting on the end of a decaying pier, slowly eating her way through a basket of fruit whilst she watched the sunset she suddenly felt a nudge on her shoulder. Turning, she saw a horse staring back at her, or more precisely the apple that was halfway to her mouth.

"I'm not going to fall for it Kelpie." The beast's face, though horse like, contrived to look hurt and confused. "I have lived a very long life, I have met more than a few of your kind in that time. Enough certainly to be able to spot one at a glance any way." The misshapen horse hung its head for a moment before starting to turn away with a frustrated snort.

Grene let it go for a few steps before compassion and the desire to talk to someone overcame her. "If you change forms then you're more than welcome to share my meal with me, it would be nice to talk to someone for a while."

For a moment Grene thought the beast was going to continue on its way but then there was an organic squishing sound which faded into the a muffled grunt. Out of politeness Grene had looked up at the sky and when she looked back a dark haired man with trousers of seaweed was standing in front of her. "What do you fancy?" Grene said holding out the basket of fruit. The man picked out a large orange and after sitting down on the water next to Grene's feet he started to peel it hurriedly. It wasn't quite what Grene had hoped for but she wasn't deterred.

"What should I call you?" she asked, hoping that talking about itself would cause the Kelpie to focus on something other than inhaling segments of orange. The beast didn't answer straight away but once the orange it was eating was finished it held out its hand towards the basket.

"I'm Apple."

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Jorick and Greenie