Anyone up for a Pokémon RP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Apologies for the delay!

After the internet went out I got focused on replying to my other RPs, lost track of this thread.

So yeah; I had some new ideas for this after getting Pokken Tournament.

I'd like a pokemon RP, but honestly, starting right from square one I don't think will work. Since it's an RP, you have to give people a reason to stay involved right from the beginning, but when that beginning is even including what essentially amounts to the tutorial levels, I think it's likely to die. The problem with Pokemon in an RP format is that there's an awful lot of walking around. You have to constantly trigger new events or people get bored - just as the anime will introduce new and usually completely irrelevant side-plots every episode despite them really just walking down a road. As an RP though, constantly triggering a new irrelevant sideplot the moment the previous one is completed will become tedious very quickly and may cause disengagement if people feel they're getting nowhere with the actual plot. On the other hand, having them only beat all the gyms in order would be too quick. As an RP, you can't have the wandering aimlessly to catch pokemon thing that the games do, because it's boring for everyone else to wait for someone to wrap up a description of them stumbling around for ages. Additionally, waiting for pokemon battles to conclude is boring too, so dice won't work for that. Whatsmore, we've all played the games, we know what it's like to start from a starter and work up. Most pokemon RPs have to let people use any pokemon they want (excluding maybe the super-legendaries) or some of their players may start off only half invested, because people like to shake it up a bit and try something new.

Unrelated note, do you have any ideas for this new region yet or are you still planning it?
Unrelated note, is that Zelda RP going to be a thing or did you drop it?

So basically, what I'm trying to say is:
  • I don't think forcing a start from absolute zero and working up is a good idea (individuals are perfectly free to do so if they want, but others may wish to start with more advanced pokemon and I feel you should let them as long as they can create a convincing reason that they have stronger pokemon, and can find a way to balance it - disobeying orders for example, like traded pokemon do)
  • Dice will stagnate battles as they will force a constant stream of one-liner posts. I recommend rolling only one dice at the beginning to decide who will win (the one who rolls highest wins), then have the players involved do a collab post using PMs and paste it in only once, to prevent the thread becoming cluttered with one-liner responses. You could also factor in level and type into the dice roll using modifiers. EG: [spoili] Anna is using a level 20 Onyx against Bill's Level 15 Squirtle. Each rolls a 10 sided dice in an OOC post, Anna rolls 12, Bill rolls 12. Level threshold is 3 (a pokemon within 3 levels of another can easily defeat it). Onyx is 5 levels higher than Squirtle. 5-3 (threshold) = 2, so Anna's roll has 2 added to it, total 14. Squirtle is a water type, which beats Rock, so has 2 added to its roll. Onyx is also a ground type, which is weak to water, for another +2 to roll. The end results are 14 for Onyx and 16 for Squirtle, so Squirtle beats Onyx. Anna and Bill then make a collaborative post using PMs and fight out this battle, then one of them pastes it into the IC thread, making any necessary edits. [/spoili]
  • Limit the number of PVP battles that happen, and let PVE battles carry out without dice rolls to vastly improve speed - because let's face it, PVE in pokemon is really easy and we'll storm through it. You can always say at the top of the post whether the battle initiated in that post is against a particularly difficult enemy after all, and people can damage themselves as necessary.
  • The fourth point was the most important one so I'm really annoyed that I forgot it...

Alright, based off these suggestions (and personal thoughts of my own), I'll adjust this idea accordingly.

But in terms of the plot/execution of this, what would you guys like to see? I'm just curious so I can get some input from you all.

And the new region is current WIP, but I'm thinking it might either be based off Canada (because let's face it; North America hasn't gotten a lot of love in the Pokemon franchise and Japan seems to get picked a lot), Europe, or perhaps even an amalgamated area that serves as a continent all its own, with several smaller regions within it (ex. Something the size of Africa, but with less countries)

Here's a thought: The African Savana! Africa and South America, while somewhat underdeveloped, both have no love - not even a nod - from The Pokemon Company. This would also give us an idea for a bad guy team - poachers, which are a huge problem in Africa.

By the way, if you still have room for more, a few Pokemon I'm gonna want

Torchic (ideal starter)
Zorua
Swinub

I think I might up the number of starting Pokemon to a maximum of 3, so people can have the beginnings of their ideal team. Not sure if I'll allow higher evolutions just yet, but I think if you come up with a valid reason then we could roll with that.

Africa, huh? That could be an interesting terrain to work with, perhaps we could merge it into the idea of a multi-country region? As in, there's an entire Africa-based landscape towards the Southern part of the continent (hence the climate change).

Unlikely to be able to respond again until Thursday, but I'll give my two cents on the location. Personally, I think the African savannah is an incredibly boring place for anything but safaris. An adventure would be really dull there and the cities would be mostly slums and mud. On the other hand, South America is awesome. It has beautiful forests and plenty of culture and history. We could make the Hoenn Pokemon the legendaries since their appearances are based on Aztec mythology.

Unlikely to be able to respond again until Thursday, but I'll give my two cents on the location. Personally, I think the African savannah is an incredibly boring place for anything but safaris. An adventure would be really dull there and the cities would be mostly slums and mud. On the other hand, South America is awesome. It has beautiful forests and plenty of culture and history. We could make the Hoenn Pokemon the legendaries since their appearances are based on Aztec mythology.

Actually, we could have cities based on the more advanced countries, like Morocco, South America, and Egypt. The theme would be exotic and foreign, an appropriate blend of civilization and wilderness.

The same can be said for South America (I'm referring to my previous post about the Africa setting being a part of the larger region), but having it on its own could also be fun.

We could almost do an entire 'Pokémon World Tour' style adventure to cover all these areas xD (kidding, unless that idea sounds fun to you guys).

Also, I'll bring up the topic of what our villains might be doing. Since Pokken revitalized the love for Shadow Pokemon, it might be fun to experiment with that concept (Pokemon that are literally reduced to savage animals in a similar vein that Rabies turns regular animals into savages). But I also like the idea of potential poachers/criminals who aren't after world domination (or even what Team Plasma was trying to do with 'freeing' Pokemon by stealing from trainers/attacking those who capture Pokemon).

Actually, we could have cities based on the more advanced countries, like Morocco, South America, and Egypt. The theme would be exotic and foreign, an appropriate blend of civilization and wilderness.
Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you haven't actually been to any of Africa? North Africa is very very very different to the mid-southern savannah :D Egypt and Morocco however, are very nice places and I think they could work well. The blend of Muslim and European culture in Morocco is really immersive and I've been hoping to be able to replicate it in an RP for some time actually. It would be better for more sinister plots than Pokemon though...

Speaking of plots, how about instead of shadow Pokemon, which never made much sense from an evil plot point of view, we go with voodoo? One aspect of voodoo is disabling free will, making voodoo'd people completely obedient, but without any of the ferality, and thus much easier to control

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing you haven't actually been to any of Africa? North Africa is very very very different to the mid-southern savannah :D Egypt and Morocco however, are very nice places and I think they could work well. The blend of Muslim and European culture in Morocco is really immersive and I've been hoping to be able to replicate it in an RP for some time actually. It would be better for more sinister plots than Pokemon though...

Speaking of plots, how about instead of shadow Pokemon, which never made much sense from an evil plot point of view, we go with voodoo? One aspect of voodoo is disabling free will, making voodoo'd people completely obedient, but without any of the ferality, and thus much easier to control

That's true (Japan's got some weird ideas about how darkness and 'hearts' work. It was pretty abstract to me, even as a kid), so you're thinking that there would be an element of magic thrown into the RP? Or maybe it's lava led as 'voodoo', but in reality it's mind-control thanks to advanced technology?

I'm down with world adventure, we could start in a more developed country and then go through the other continents - starting in the typical Japanese island setting (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh) and then visiting other hotspots (Unova, Kalos) and then going through The Middle East, Africa, South America, India, Russia...

World adventure sounds good, and facilitates my excuse to start with a more evolved Pokemon more easily :P my concern is that it may be very hectic though, so I may be more inclined to stay with one region and then go from there if we decide we need more. So my official vote is on a South America based region then possibly going onto a world adventure later on.

As for the voodoo, actual voodoo is a pseudo-science already, not magic. There's a good deal of evidence that the free will removing poison is real.

My problem with Canada if that culturally it's pretty generic West. Something unusual would be much more interesting; it's why Japan and Europe are chosen more often than America for plot based RPs after all

World adventure sounds good, and facilitates my excuse to start with a more evolved Pokemon more easily :P my concern is that it may be very hectic though, so I may be more inclined to stay with one region and then go from there if we decide we need more. So my official vote is on a South America based region then possibly going onto a world adventure later on.

As for the voodoo, actual voodoo is a pseudo-science already, not magic. There's a good deal of evidence that the free will removing poison is real.

Well if we were to go the route of the 'World Adventure' idea, we'd probably start somewhere a little more basic and then move onto the bigger locations (such as South America/Africa).

There should be a reason for us to keep moving around between continents rather then 'we finished the last one', but we should also try to stay in one place for as long as possible (to avoid traveling to new regions each time we post).

My problem with Canada if that culturally it's pretty generic West. Something unusual would be much more interesting; it's why Japan and Europe are chosen more often than America for plot based RPs after all

I agree with this to an extent. While Unova was 'pretty West', there were still interesting areas to expand upon and showcase for that region. The idea for the Canada-region would be similar to Unova, but more inclined towards the balance of nature and living with the land (key areas would be represented, such as Nova Scotia or British Columbia), but it also gives us the chance to explore more of the 'arctic' areas of the Pokemon world (because let's face it; aside from caves and the occasional 'snow village' on a mountain, we don't get a lot of natural ice-areas. So it might be interesting to try that out, if only for a short time).

Perhaps we could have a different bad guy in every region? Like in Japanese regions, we could have Team Rocket - since they're an omnipresent criminal organization, tantamount to stereotypical uniformed mooks just being mean.

In American and European regions, we could have a mafia, one that I'd like to be based off of The Godfather. More Barzini than Corleone.

In South America, we could have the voodoo shamans

In Africa, we could have poachers

Southeast Asia has some mumbo-jumbo all around.

Taiwan and Indonesia should work well too. I think different enemies would work but only if we tie them together as chapters in the story, perhaps they're all underling businesses of the main villain? Otherwise, each region may end up feeling like different games with little continuity besides the characters involved, like the Pokemon anime in which each region is standalone in terms of how easily it can be understood without the previous seasons, which I think only works for small children who are mainly watching for the cool move animations anyway.

Taiwan and Indonesia should work well too. I think different enemies would work but only if we tie them together as chapters in the story, perhaps they're all underling businesses of the main villain? Otherwise, each region may end up feeling like different games with little continuity besides the characters involved, like the Pokemon anime in which each region is standalone in terms of how easily it can be understood without the previous seasons, which I think only works for small children who are mainly watching for the cool move animations anyway.
Team Rocket canonically poached Slowpokes, so that works. Some will need to be uninvolved - I don't see Team Rocket getting into voodoo, terrorism, or even murder of humans.

Of course, but they can be different while still in the same master group. For example, while Pokemon and Zelda are both owned by Nintendo, the Zelda people don't get involved in Pokemon's business, and the Pokemon people don't get involved in Zelda business.

Team Rocket canonically poached Slowpokes, so that works. Some will need to be uninvolved - I don't see Team Rocket getting into voodoo, terrorism, or even murder of humans.

I can see Team Flare or Team Galactic trying their hands at murder, while I imagine Teams Magma/Aqua would be terroristic. As for Voodoo... Gym Leader Serena? XD

Kidding. We can always come up with new teams, just throwing in my two cents based on what we're pitching as possible dilemmas.

So, did you guys want to go with the 'World Tour', or keep the landmass one large region with various 'regions' based upon different landscapes/countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.