3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
You start setting out a request thread, to get it going, but then you think about how 90% of people are just going to ignore the plot and setting and unique characterstics of your idea, and just try to make a romance/sex scene out of it,

and another 5% are going to just disregard your starting idea entirely and transform the rp into what THEY thought up

and 3% are probably going to be new and rely on you to carry the story while they walk around looking pretty/cool/pitiable

and the remaining 2% aren't even going to understand how your idea works at all or say its overly complicated or something....

So you may as well just write the whole thing yourself and call it a story.

*shrug* maybe its just me, I DO tend to be fussy when its my plot idea, but it seems a lot like if you want it done right, you gotta do it all by yourself.

It depends on your expectations and others as well. I think I am a bit of outlier in that I still disagree with the whole GM-style RP, but I've certainly found a number of very interesting ones. Having a GM control the flow of the story, having certain actions restricted, and especially discussing things in OOC beforehand still feels a bit off to me, although I'm starting to get the hang of it. There's always been what I feel to be a very strange balance at iwaku - does excessive planning OOC negate IC? Why even bother with IC if the OOC has already been completely planned out? Sometimes a few people are left in the dark regarding plot devices, but then, how can you expect them to act according to a very exact scenario you have imagined? If you tell them, it'll spoil the IC and render it moot. In short, it's hard to grasp the exact freedom you are allowed to exercise within the confines of the GM's scenario.

At the very least, roleplaying on iwaku is, it seems, meant to add life to a story. Personally, I think the unexpected actions of others is the main allure, because in the real world the only thoughts you can be really sure of are your own. Of course, a lot of people here may not catch on to that. When I started RP'ing many years ago I was rather emotionally growing, so the content that I posted was different than now.

I believe more in a RP that provides a setting and lets characters (users) run amok. You'd be surprised at how dynamic and organic interactions, plots, and relationships grow. One of my fondest memories was, in a Hellsing setting RP, I had my character torch London with another vampire. A couple of players who were RP'ing in another thread in London acknowledged the fire and brimestone, and we ended up having a showdown.

I know the pain. I just roll with the punches and learn to avoid such folk in due time.

For time is a great teacher; but sadly it kills all it's students.

If you wish I'll rp with you? Trust me not into romance (Clearly by ulfric's beastly face)or into playing by myself.

I always find the balance between holding to your plot and letting creativity flows a hard thing to find and accomplish. In one hand maintaining the initial plot is crucial to provide certainty, on the other hand it limit the way people interpret your world.

The best in my opinion is just create a barebone and let people run rampant, as unanun had said...and then see how chaotic the world will become :3 however, the 90% which made romance story probably just did that because they're interested in romance...well, nothing can be done about that.

just my 2-cents. meow :3

Unanun is assuming all roleplays on Iwaku are ran the same way, based on a limited experience with specific game masters. O__O There are several GMs who run their roleplays completely different. Not to mention the assorted mediums and styles and... It's all about who you're playing with and where you're playing. A roleplay ran by Me in the Jump Ins will be dramatically different from a roleplay ran by Asmodeus in Fantasy, will also be totally different compared to a private One on One RP with Ocha.

Finding good roleplay partners is hard work. XD It's like... MOST people out there are not going to be a compatible partner. Everybody has different needs and different interests they want from roleplaying. And finding those magic people who match you perfectly is like finding a needle in a haystack. o__o You always have to keep trying out new partners. New mixes of groups, new private rps. Mix and match plots, styles... see what works the best for you. Eventually you stumble across AMAZING people that just seem to mesh like they were made for you! Roleplay Kismet!

The other thing that is really, really, really important is to be -clear- about what you want from your plots. I see a lot of requests where people don't specify their needs and expectations, then get "surprised" when someone does something annoying/weird. Players aren't psychic - and you're not psychic either. D: So you can't assume they'll know what you're looking for, anymore than they should assume they can change around your presented plot. It's all about clear communication.

Keep on trucking. 8D You'll find awesome partners. I've been playing for years and I'm STILL hunting for more good partners.

I guess. It just happens that Asmo's ideas are the ones that appeal to the most to me.

Having been an RP group admin for several different RPs, I've found that if you play a character that advances the plot, then those others who are RPing with you will follow, creating their characters reaction. But at other times, a player may throw in a surprise, something you didn't even think of, a plot twist totally thought up by them. Maybe it wasn't where you were going, but I've found that working it into the main plot allows the player to see that you respect their posts and creative thought. This in turn gains you respect and more often than not, that player's enjoyment of the RP will increase immensely. Does it happen like that all the time? No, of course not. But NOT giving someone the chance to RP freely in your plot kinda diminishes the idea of an RP -- at least that's how I see it. =)

Besides, what's an RP without other players? It's just a story written by one person. ^_^

(Send me a message if you ever want to RP sometimes. I'd love to!)

Yes. As a matter of fact, Tetsuri threw me a curve ball in Academy of Arms, and, now that I think on it, the plot twist nestled very nicely into what I had for a plot idea. It was reasonable, well prepared, and easily attended, which is what I would like for a plot twist to be like. Especially in Group Rp's you need that sorta push to gather all players in the right direction, much like herding sheep.

Now, to complete take the plot away from the GM, that gathers frowns, but you have to admire their creative motives, but sometimes, its best to discuss it with the GM, not go, "HEY, LOOKEE WHAT I CAN DO TO THE PLOT! :D"

Very perceptive, Tryston.

just to clarify, a lot of people seem to think I was complaining about a story not progressing exactly as I had visualized, event-wise. That is not what bothers me, the reason I like roleplay is the unpredictability, you never know what kinds of ideas the other person or people could add that you wouldn't have thought of.

My problem is for example you want to start a roleplay in a historical setting, say the 13th-14th century, commonly referred to as 'medieval times'. You know most people arent going to do any research, even a quick wiki about something dubious and just write whatever they think looks cool. This makes the historical aspect of the roleplay completely irrelevant when you have a female character walk down the street wearing trousers and nobody else in the town seems to give a crap.

Another thing that irks me a LOT is when you write an idea with potential for action (for example, theres a massive reward out for whoever can slay a dragon terrorizing the region) and the person you're roleplaying with completely disregards the scenario in favour of pursuing a romance. To them, the campfire scenes are WAAAY more important than the actual point of the story, which is slaying the dragon and collecting the reward before someone else does.

That's what a good GM OOC is for. Explaining how much realism you want. If someone totally disregards the setting, as the GM you have not the right, but the responsibility to call people out on it. While railroading players is frowned upon, being a GM that lets players walk all over you is equally so. If you have a setting unfamiliar to a lot of people, writing descriptions or providing links is your responsibility as the GM. Also there is the ability to learn how to allow your players their side story,mike your example of the fireside romance, but add atmospear to remind the players that the characters will still have to deal with the dragon, or they'll be impoverished and begging for food inside a week.

GMing is NOT easy, you have to practice it. Sometimes you will fail your players. Sometimes your players will fail you. But in the end if you don't try then you gain nothing.

I have to say, I haven't GM'd a big group RP in years. I've thought up worlds and scenarios, but I find it hard to release it "into the wild" and see what becomes of it. (However, I also haven't turned them into stories.) While I liked that a lot, I found that I really needed to try a new direction if I was ever going to start and not just join RPs.

So now, if I start an RP, it's usually with just me and another person. I set up the starting scenario and make myself not think into the future. I set up how the characters met, what their world is like, and how they got to where they are now. Then, I just leave it blank. It does mean I'm putting a lot of trust into my partner(s) in terms of how they drive the RP, but I've found this approach way more effective than trying to set up the entire scenario and think about what direction the RP is going to take.

That said, one of the things I'm hoping to experience while at iwaku is the whole "GM-guided" RP experience. ^^ I'm always curious about other ways to do things.

@ Iliana:

I'm not criticizing him. I may disagree, but in the end that's just my opinion. Asmo certainly writes well and has the creative mojo to flesh out his scenarios to boot. My attempts to match his pace is proof of his quality :D

And yeah, romance is a problem. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of the people on RP sites are teens, and that's just what's on their mind. Looking back it was kind of obvious, but it's hard to see when you're in the middle of it.

Hey, some of us romance addicts are smart enough know how to mesh in romance without ignoring the importance of plot and atmosphere! 8D

That's why I like the "BEAT WITH A STICK" method. >:D

But yeah, that's what I mean about communication, especially in One on One RPs. o___o There seems to be a huge majority of people in one on ones who are only in the roleplaying business for the romance and smut... Which isn't a BAD thing, but you have to really make it clear WHEN and HOW or even IF you want it in your plot at all. >< Cause people WILL assume. Then you'll be trapped fighting a hoard of dinosaurs, while they're trying to have this chillax kissy conversation for five pages and you're all... "WTF what about the dinosaurs?!"

As for people not doing their research for settings and periods... I like what Ocha said. 8D Sometimes a GM has to provide that info and kinda beat their players up to stay on the ball. Group RPs are serious work.

...and then you're still always going to get people who don't give a shit about accuracy. O__O You just... politely bow out and try a new partner.