Any one play Nationstates here?

YAY! War stuff finally!

[h=3]Government Acts[/h][h=5]The Issue[/h]All of Vandoosa has been in an uproar since yesterday when a car exploded in the middle of Vandoosa City, killing dozens and injuring hundreds. This terrorist act was traced back to a violent minority group known as the Lilliputian Freedom Fighters. A group allegedly supported by an unfriendly regime, despising Vandoosa for its heathenish ways and political bent, but more particularly for supporting the recent occupation of their homeland by an ally.

[h=5]The Debate[/h]
  1. "They simply crossed the line!" shouts General Sean Love. "Far too long have we tolerated these terrorist threats, it's time that they realise they can't mess with us. Send the order to prepare an invasion, and we will show them who is boss! Our brave soldiers are prepared to die for their country, all we need is your signature and a lot of money. But what is the cost of freedom and safety for Vandoosa's peoples?"

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.
  2. "Attacking another country isn't the answer," says Virginia Fellow, director of the Vandoosa Intelligence Agency. "The problem doesn't lie abroad, but within Vandoosa itself! We should have more freedom to do our work. Protecting our nation from these cowardly scaremongers would be much easier if we had an inherent right to tap phones and other communications, get search warrants whenever we need, and detain suspects indefinitely. Remember, to prevent is better than to cure."
  3. "No, that's what those terrorists want us to do!" speculates chairperson Natalia Strange of the Patriots' Tea and Biscuits Club. "We don't want to give the Agency any more responsibility, they're the ones who messed up in the first place. What we need is to purge Vandoosa of these rats who don't respect the laws and traditions of our way of life. We know who they are and where they come from, so the solution is obvious: we just won't let those sorts of people cross our borders and kick out those who are already here. It might seem a bit harsh, but hey, we were here first. Long live Vandoosa!"
  4. "I think it's clear to anyone with half a brain in their head that this will just not work," says Gregory Song, a noted professor of social studies. "The people who perpetrate these terrible crimes do so because they feel they have no other recourse to demonstrate their political opinions. They'll do anything and I'm sure they're not above hiring mercenaries. You must understand why terrorists act as they do and fix it! What we should do is to reach out to the ethnic and religious minorities and seek common ground! Negotiation is the key! Violence solves nothing."
  5. "We spit on Vandoosa!" expectorates William Eliot, leader of the Lilliputian Freedom Fighters. "You disrespect our people and our country and everything we are! You spread your sickening influence where it is not wanted! You must change your ways and cease to oppose us or else there will be more bloodshed. You have been warned!"
  6. "Is terrorism such a terrible thing? Really?" asks Hope Wong, avant garde journalist, discreetly sliding a pipe bomb under your desk. "These people are simply expressing their political opinion the best way they know how. I think we should legalise terrorism as a legitimate form of political commentary. It'll certainly get people interested, don't you think?"
[h=5]The Government Position[/h]The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 1.

Invasion time! Can finally put that uranium mining to good use!

Psychotic Dictatorship achieved!

Awesome, Alan! I was wondering who that was.

Wahahahaaa. We will take over NS!

We should start making forum topics and posts.

I will definitely start making forum topics/posts when the eyesight gets a little better and everything settles down.

"The government has to step in and do something, for once!" demands tour operator Rosalia Jefferson, visibly pulling her hair out. "If we'd had proper railings on the marina, that shark would never have gotten into the oil refinery in the first place! The government has to put better regulations in place to make sure disasters of this kind never happen again. And if we want to coax back the tourists we've lost, we need a whole bunch of new state-subsidised hotels, parks and tourist attractions. Shark-proof ones. Our economy will never survive without it!"

Wow.. Vandoosa has so chaotic problems..

"It's not our war? It's not our war?" cries (in)famous Irongarb-born fascist Lars Chandra. "Well maybe it's time it became our war! Irongarb should take a more active, and by 'active' I mean 'hostile', role in international politics! This ethnic squabbling will be over when the war is over, and WE can end that war and purge the impure! Break the back of those that defy!! Sieg Irongarb!"

We're going to war!

Finally get to put all that defense spending and uranium mining to good use : )

lol, also this:a survey of the nation's rivers and children has shown that pesticide levels are at an all-time regional high.

Strange Irodios just had to deal with pesticide problems as well. The farmers were getting really gun-ho about using the most toxic chemicals and killing off children. However, we decided that we need to put forth more science to this problem, let them keep using those chemicals, so long as we progress into not volatile ones. Take that left wing crazy tree huggers...for Science!

My current issue is marijuana, which I'm dutifully ignoring. It's already legal, so screw it.

Remember to dismiss issues you want to ignore! you can only have a max of 5 active ones at a time...

All so got Octobers Nazi issue just now!

Went with Option 2!

2 days 12 hours ago: Following new legislation in 50 Shades of Cerulean, nudity is frowned upon.

What have I done?!

"6 hours ago: Following new legislation in Vandoosa, children are brainwashed at a young age to accept "Love and peace!" as a way of life."

Awesome!

This was one of the most interesting ones I have ever seen displayed as an option:

"Behold, the hour has arrived! The Holy Temple of Firefury Amahira has been unearthed!" proclaims Yon-Zhauryg v'Klot, leader of the Cult of the Undead Black Widow. "This land is sacred, and must not be befouled by these corporations! No-one but the enlightened children of Firefury must be allowed to venture inside our rediscovered sanctuary, where we will perform the required rituals to please the Great Goddess and prevent Her from unleashing Her wrath upon the world."

The issue

Secularists have been urging the government to impose an income tax on religious organizations in Irongarb for some time now, and the issue has finally made its way to the upper levels of the government.

My action

The Honorable May Frederickson, Minister of Minding Other People's Business, has an idea: "This religion thing is such a great racket, why don't we make it a government monopoly? We'll ban all religions except the Church of Irongarb, and make attendance and donations compulsory. I'll start writing the Holy Scriptures right away!"

Church of Irongarb : )

I should really take some time to write some info in the Factbook about this.

50 Shades of Cerulean was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Happiest Citizens.

Cerulean for 2016 presidential candidate?

[h=5]The Issue[/h] Reports indicate that several neighbouring nations are engaged in major weapons programs in contravention of international law and treaty, focusing public discourse on Vandoosa's foreign policy—specifically, its position on preemptive strikes.
[h=5]The Debate[/h]
  1. "We need to respond to these terrorist scumbags!" roars General Rebecca Eliot, turning a slightly alarming shade of purple. "I say we announce any illegal weapons program will be treated as an act of war! The risk of harsh words turning into an endless conflict that mires our troops in far-off lands for years at a time is a small price to pay for national security! If you don't act now, these foreigners will think they can push us around forever! They must be taught a lesson, for the good of the People's Republic!"
  2. Diplomatic bureaucrat Anne-Marie Harishchandra remarks calmly, "There's no need to go off half-cocked. It would be much better if we used an appropriate international body—the World Assembly, say, or a Glorious Nations of Iwaku tribunal—to investigate these rumours objectively for us. That way we have the international community on our side, and no one can accuse us of playing judge and jury. It will be well worth the extra diplomatic costs and bureaucratic red tape."
  3. "If these countries don't respect international law, why would they respect international agencies?" wonders political analyst Freddy Usman. "Our neighbours are acquiring these weapons for a reason: no one wants to pick a fight with a country that has weapons of mass destruction. The solution is simple: if we have WMDs of our own, they won't dare to strike at us. It may seem mad, but in this crazy world, it's the sanest thing we could do."

This is the position your government is preparing to adopt.
  4. Noted pacifist and tambourine artist Beth Lee replies, "As usual, our nation's proud leaders can only see violent solutions to our problems abroad. Wouldn't it be refreshing if they focused on achieving peace through communication and accommodation, rather than force of arms? You may call me a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."
[h=5]The Government Position[/h] The government has indicated its intention to follow the recommendations of Option 3.

YAY! Vandoosa gets to make weapons of mass destruction now! Put that uranium mining industry to good use!