Another World

Lucien looked down to the woman he had fallen in love with. He had failed her in some way. "You said that the head band was how Carrick was controlling her mentally. When she fell unconscious, she had been standing and alert. What if Carrick gave her some sort of a command to do so? And now, he's dead without having given her the command to reawaken. I can't get into her mind to reverse this. There is only one person I have ever known to be able to do so of my kind. That was my mother. She never taught me how to do it. We didn't have time before the dragons started destroying our home."

Leila please wake up. I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I'm sorry I left you alone. It will never happen again. Please come back to me. The words were like a chant in his mind. He knew it wouldn't work. He didn't even have any magic inside him right now. If he was going to try he needed his stones. "Tumn, we need to get back to the apartment. I need all the sapphires I have left. I don't know if I can help her but I'm damn sure going to try."

"Hmm.. It's possible.. Though I don't know how to reverse that. If Carrick is the one who gave the command and he's the only one the headband was programmed for, then we'd need to tap into her mind directly to pull her out of it. I can't do that," Markus admitted, then looked up as he spoke to Tumn. Leila hadn't moved and she was very pale, making him worry more. The enormous dragon scooped the three of them up without pause and flew into the city, landing right in the middle of the street and dumping them all on the balcony of Leila's apartment.

Lucien thanked Tumn for the express ride and took Leila inside to her bed. Adrenaline was running through him now which was what he needed to help prepare himself for what he was about to attempt. He muttered a request to Markus to stay with her while he got the materials he needed. Rushing into his bedroom he grabbed the entire pouch of sapphires, unsure as to how many he might need. He was seriously doubting that he could pull off what his mother had but she had always told him it would come naturally to him because her blood ran through his veins. He grabbed several glasses and filled them with water and then dusted quite a few gems, putting them in along with the mint tea bags. He put them on a tray and walked into the room.

Looking down at her almost stopped his heart. She was so pale her skin looked translucent and her breathing was incredibly shallow. He set the tray down and gulped down two glasses full, leaving four remaining. Power surged through his system as he lay down next to her. He put her hand on top of his and relaxed, focusing on his breathing. "I'm going to enter a meditative state and then try to reach her mind. I don't know if I can pull this off. I've never done it before. Can you watch over us and possibly keep the water in those glasses warm for me?" he asked Markus, putting all his faith in the man.

He closed his eyes as he started breathing deeper. Meditating had always been easy for him. But getting into someone's mind was going to be difficult. He had to shed his mortal body and allow his spirit to enter hers. He kept her in the uppermost part of his mind as he felt himself falling into the world of calm. Now all he had to do was find her spirit. He called out her name mentally while he searched with his eyes. He would stay here for as long as he could to try to find her and convince her to come back to him.

Markus nodded slightly, not bothering to tell Lucien that he couldn't keep water warm like Leila could because he couldn't manipulate fire as she could. Still, he could keep the water from getting too cold - it would be lukewarm, but better than chilly. He watched, fascinated, as Lucien seemed to calm and close his eyes. Markus had never seen anything like this done before, but he prayed that it would work. It was their only shot, and he refused to lose Leila like this just because of Carrick's stupidity.

Leila heard something, faintly. Her name. Looking all around in the blackness of her mind, she wondered what it came from. When it sounded again, she recognized it. Lucien. She got up, having been sprawled out on the ground - or at least, what she assumed was the ground. Her mental body started to wander, searching for the source of the voice. It took several more times of hearing her own name before she suddenly saw him. She didn't know if he was real or not, so she walked over to him tentatively, not daring to touch him.

Lucien stopped mid pace as he saw her appear, shocked that he actually found her. His face broke out into a large smile but noticed her tentative steps so he didn't rush to her. Instead he calmly walked forward leaving a few paces in between them. She was wearing what she remembered she was wearing and he noticed she still had the headband on because she didn't know they had removed it. He looked down at his body and took off his cloak so she could see the markings she put on him.

He spoke softly to her, not wanting to alarm her in any way, "Leila, you are safe now and back home. Markus is with us. Tumn helped me save you. Carrick will no longer bother you. That headband you are wearing is not there any more. Markus has removed it. Carrick can no longer control you, you are your own person again." He gave her an assuring smile. He wanted to explain the entire situation. "Now, what I need you to do is remove that headband and come back to me. You are unconscious, laying on your bed. I am right beside you holding your hand. I need you to wake up."

Leila watched Lucien approach her, her eyes going over the markings on his body before she looked back up at his eyes. He was telling her that she was safe and Carrick was gone. When he mentioned the headband, she reached up automatically and ran her fingers over the green metal. She knew this was how Carrick had been controlling her. Listening to him uncertainly, she tugged the headband off and hurled it aside, then frowned.

"I don't know how to come back. I got lost when I tried," she admitted, edging closer to him fearfully. How could she wake up when she didn't know where to go or how it was done?

Lucien slowly wrapped his arms around her and held her close to him. Being honest with himself, he didn't know how she could really get back either. He only knew how he usually got back to his body. He remained confident that he could help her though. He couldn't worry her or make her second guess herself. He couldn't take her there, she had to want to go, she had to will herself to go back to her mortal shell. He could feel his power waning and to the outside world his skin was visibly paling as beads of sweat gathered on his brow.

"This is the spirit world Leila. Everything here is what you want to be here. You need only to imagine it. Imagine where you were, every detail about the place, everything you can remember and it will appear. Then remember how to get home. Back to the city where your apartment is. Imagine travelling up the stairs and opening the door. Markus will be there in your bedroom as will I. Imagine me laying down on my back on one side of your bed. Lay down next to me and hold my hand. Then all you need to do is will yourself to wake up. I will be here as long as possible to help you with it and I will travel back home with you, but you have to imagine it," he explained to her. He hoped it would work and he hoped he could be there until she at least made it home.

Wrapping her arms around Lucien, she closed her eyes and concentrated. She thought of going up her apartment stairs, picturing it perfectly in her mind. When she opened the door and walked to her bedroom, she could see herself sprawled out on the bed. She was so pale and weak looking! Her eyes shifted to Lucien, laying there with her, looking pale as well. Markus was there, looking worried, watching Lucien closely. She went and laid down in her own body, taking his hand.

Outwardly, her body started to stir. Color came back to her cheeks and her breathing deepened. Markus stared as Leila's eyes fluttered open and she looked around as though dazed. He let out an excited whoop and snatched her up, hugging her tight.

"Oh, you're alive!" he exclaimed, showing far more emotion than usual.

Lucien watched the scenery around him change. Once she set her mind to it she brought them right back to the apartment. He smiled as she laid down beside him and took his hand and then she was gone, blackness surrounding him once again. She must have made it. He could feel his body weakening, he was almost to the end of his power. He needed to get back before it ran out completely or he wouldn't be able to get back. He quickly pictured her apartment and ran up the stairs. He swung open the door and froze in his tracks.

Carrick stood in the center of the room, right in between the door and the entrance to Leila's bedroom. He hadn't even thought about him so this wasn't part of his imagination. His mother had always told him that going into the spirit world was risky. Dead enemies could find you there and attempt to keep you there. He tried to move around him but every direction he went Carrick stood in the way, a malevolent smile on his face. "Get out of my way!" Lucien yelled at him.

Outwardly Lucien's body took on a fine sheen of sweat. His brow furrowed and his muscles twitched as if he were struggling with something. He was not conscious yet but his hand squeezed Leila's holding on to her for dear life. His breathing became more rapid as the stress got worse, and his lips moved forming silent words.

Leila laughed a little and squirmed out of Markus' grip, then turned to Lucien with the intent of tackling him. When she saw his eyes weren't open, she frowned and moved back onto the bed, taking his hand. Why wasn't he awake with her? She watched him anxiously, unsure what to do. Markus could offer no advice, but Tumn had been observing the whole time and started clicking and growling softly at Leila through the balcony opening. She blinked and nodded. He could take her back there.

"Markus, I'll be right back," she said, clasping Lucien's hand in both of her own and closing her eyes. She bowed her head and let herself relax as Tumn had said. He moved her back into that strange place and she looked up, detaching herself from her physical body. This was.. weird. She slid off the bed and wandered out into the living room. Carrick was standing there, his back to her and Lucien facing her on the other side of him. She pondered for a moment, then slowly formed an ice dagger in her hand. When she thought about it, she wasn't sure why it worked, but she didn't care. Slowly she creeped up behind Carrick, determined not to let him hurt Lucien.

"I can't believe you were stupid enough to face me again. And in the spirit world no less!" Carrick spit out at Lucien, "This time though you won't escape alive." He lifted his hands and started to cast something unimaginable. A swirling vortex of fire and lightening and ice appeared before Lucien.

As Lucien took a few steps back, he saw Leila out of the corner of his eye exiting her room. He didn't look directly at her, not wanting to alert Carrick that she was there. He almost smiled when he saw a dagger appear in her hand. She was a quick learner and he would have to praise her later, if he got out of this alive. For now he kept his eyes focused on Carrick and the enlarging tornado of death. His back hit the opposite wall of the apartment and he started casting his own spell just in case, a shield to throw around Leila should this thing be let loose.

And evil cackle left Carrick's lips as a whip of lightning lashed out at Lucien's face. Lucien turned his head just in time for it to only hit his cheek but it still hurt. Outwardly that same black scorch mark appeared on his right cheek for Markus to see.

Markus was freaking out on the outside, seeing the scorch mark that sliced across Lucien's cheek in a streak of blackness. He examined it closely and made sure it was clean, but other than that, all it needed was an ice pack, and he didn't dare to make Lucien any colder. It would have to wait.

Leila moved up closer behind Carrick as he started forming something similar to her cyclones, but this one wasn't water. She stared at it for a moment, then shook her head and ignored it. It didn't matter. Lucien mattered, and he needed help. She was infuriated when her love was struck, and she slammed the dagger into Carricks back. It hit straight where his heart would be, and she pulled it back out again to bury it in the back of his neck.

He collapsed, but the vortex was still there and exploded. She was blown back by it, but other than a mild burn on her left wrist that was only the size of a quarter, she was fine. Scrambling to her feet, she ran over to Lucien quickly to check on him.

"Are you okay? We have to get out of here, now!"

Lucien looked up to Leila as she rushed to him, the wind had been knocked out of him because of the explosion so he simply nodded. He braced himself on the wall to get to a standing position, his hand on her shoulder to steady himself. He stumbled with her to her bedroom, carefully avoiding the collapsed body of Carrick. He knew he wasn't dead and didn't want him to rise again. He plopped down on the bed and laid back holding her hand. Forcing himself with all his will, he opened his eyes in the real world, the scream of Carrick's defeat echoing in his brain.

He was incredibly weak, his body like lead, but he pushed himself to gather her in his arms and hold her. She had come back for him. His entire body trembled with not just the lack of power but also with the tremendous love he had for her. He thought he had lost her. He kissed her lips, ignoring the fact that Markus was probably staring at them and then rested his forehead against hers. "Are you alright zar-rey lyndza?"

Leila walked with Lucien back into the bedroom - though walked was being generous as they more of hobbled their way inside. She laid down with him and felt the presence of Tumn in the back of her mind, guiding her back out. With a few deep breaths, she took his hand and closed her eyes, then opened them to see that they had made it. Relief flooded her and she laughed quietly, turning and clinging to Lucien with all of her might.

"I am fine. You aren't.. Rest, darling. I love you," she murmured quietly, kissing him repeatedly between her words as she cupped his cheeks.

Markus had a lot of questions, but he could see that now wasn't the time. He set the remaining glasses for Lucien on the table next to the bed so that he could reach them, then bowed his head and left the room. The important thing was that they were both alive. He sighed and smiled, walking out to the balcony to chitter at Tumn, who was already letting his approval of the situation show by baring his fangs into a wide grin.

Lucien smiled weakly, he was relieved but exhausted. All the sapphire had been expended through his system but he was excited that his natural ability had come through for them just as his mother said it would. He laid back in the bed, allowing the pillows to support his head and looked up at the ceiling. He let a tear fall from the opposite eye of which Leila was facing. He was all at once overwhelmed with sadness that he could not share his victory and achievement with his parents. He had been so close to them and now they were gone. He blamed it on being just excruciatingly tired.

He looked over at the glasses that were left of tea, mentally willing them to pour in his mouth to no avail. The dust had settled to the bottom anyway. He figured he just needed a bit of rest but he feared it. He feared leaving Leila alone. He had no idea what she had gone through or how she would handle it. He couldn't leave her alone right now. His gaze flickered to hers and again a smile brightened his face. "You are so beautiful Leila. Has anyone ever told you that?" his speech was practically slurred.

Leila smiled and nodded, running her fingers along his jaw. She kissed his forehead and reached over for one of the glasses, heating the water and making it swirl easily. Once it was remixed and steaming, she turned back to Lucien and wondered if he would even be able to sit up.

"You should drink this, darling, before you go to sleep. I don't want you to feel weak for too long, I can't imagine it feels nice.." she said softly, gesturing to the glass as she refused to think of the fact that she could heat it. She knew now that Carrick had been right. Her power wasn't normal. She didn't belong here. Markus and everybody else had lied to her. Forcing those thoughts away, she smiled at Lucien and awaited his response.

Lucien braced himself up on his arms and pulled his body into a sitting position. He refused to look too helpless and weak in front of her, even though he knew beads of sweat now clung to his forehead from the effort of just doing that. He smiled at her and took the tea, sipping at it before he spoke. "You know, what you do with your power is amazing. I can use energy and manipulate the energy to do a few of the things you can do, but to be able to actually control the elements themselves....you are by far more powerful than I am. Look, Leila," he reached out and took her hand in his, "You may be different from the people here but they love you like family. They've even accepted me, an outsider, and they don't treat me any different. You do have a home here, with Tumn," he brought her hand up to kiss her palm, "...and me."

His hopeful eyes looked up into hers. He knew she was going to need time to get over what happened. He wanted her to be able to take that time and he wanted to be there to help her. If she felt she had to leave after she sorted things out then he would be more than happy to go with her anywhere she would go.

"Thank you, Lucien. That really is the best gift you could have given me," Leila murmured with a smile as he looked up at her. She felt her insecurities starting to fade, and she gently caressed his cheek. There was no way that he was going to be able to remain sitting up like this for much longer. She shifted and took his cup once he had drank all of the contents, carefully setting it aside. "You've done so much. Please, rest. I'm not leaving your side while you do. You came to me, now let me watch over you," she said gently, attempting to ease him back down to lay.

Lucien could feel the sapphire dust infusing into his blood stream as she spoke but his body was still exhausted and just had a residual pain about it. He settled back down, wrapping his arms around Leila with a smile and pulling her down with him and holding her close. He closed his eyes and rested his forehead against her shoulder, easily falling into a deep sleep, putting his full trust in her to watch over him and Tumn to watch over the both of them.

A mile outside the city and loud electric snap could be heard as a large portal opened. From the opening walked a man looking very much like an elder version of Lucien. There were streaks of silver in his long thick black hair and creases on his face portraying his age. His long tattered dark blue robe flowed around him as he used his large elegantly carved staff to assist him in walking. All along his body and robe were scorch marks, his eyes glowing a menacing blue, wary of anyone or anything that might approach him. Once the portal closed behind him, he raised his arms, his fingers weaving an intricate spell. On the commanding word, the light blue ball of energy leaped from his fingertips and headed straight for the city Lucien was sleeping in. He moved forward slowly. He had finally found him.

Leila smiled and wrapped her arm around his waist, her chin resting gently atop his chin as she held him close. Never would she break her word to him. She would lay here for weeks if she had to, to watch over him and ensure his safety. He was such a big part of her world now. Hard to believe, really, since he wasn't even from here. She smiled to herself and gently ran her fingertips along the blue markings she had given to him. He had proven himself a warrior and saved a life. That was cause for ceremony. She pressed her palm to his chest and gifted him with more blue swirls along his ribs and a small one of the back of his neck just below his hairline. When she was finished, she nestled into him and closed her eyes, resting but not sleeping.

Markus and Tumn had been speaking quietly to each other out on the balcony. When they realized that Lucien and Leila were resting, Markus left and took a small group of men with him to go back to the facility where Carrick had been holding Leila. It was almost all destroyed from what Tumn had said, but anything that provided clues to how advanced the soldiers were getting would be helpful. Now was the time to do it, before they recovered and rebuilt the fortress. So, Tumn stayed behind, in his human form on the balcony since his dragon form now completely blocked the street, and Markus left with three men in a topless Jeep.

They were cruising out of the city when they noticed somebody walking. It wasn't out of the ordinary, but he reminded Markus of Lucien, so they pulled over.

"Hey, need a ride?" one of the guys called out with a friendly smile.