Another Horizon: Swords, Magic, and Anime Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got my interest. I'll get to making a character.

"I am a simple servant, that is all"
(It is near impossible to find a suitable picture for this character)
Leonid Stahl
The Butler
Leonid Stahl is an elf who was "adopted" into a very prestigious line of servants in Illiserev. His "family" has served with distinction some of the greatest noble houses of Illiserev. And like them he was fast made an expert on the many sundry tasks a manager of a household must know such as accounting, personnel management, gardening, and also how to prepare and serve five star meals in surprising speed. He was also trained in several less savory "duties" that might be required of him. However his owners also decided to have him trained in the magical arts in order to give him a leg up over other inferior servants. With his magical training and wide set of skills his owners are preparing to sell him off as the absolutely perfect servant and anticipate him to go for an excellent price. As both a reward and symbol of his servitude he has two talentium bracers on his forearms to both amplify his magic and allow him to be easily restrained should the need arise.
(Here's my chara please tell me if anything needs to be adjusted)

@Reanimator Bob
Make it short-range teleportation and make it a Skill. Magical teleportation doesn't exist. Duplicates that duplicate one's full power also don't exist. It'll probably function either as illusionary clones or you having to split your power between them.

@Izurich
Note that, for airships, they all have an actual balloon attached to them. So yeah, just imagine that there's a balloon strapped on top of your airship. Also, while I will allow for her ship to be faster than normal, due to the Ring of Fire propulsion idea, note that airships generally aren't meant for combat. They sorta explode if their balloon gets popped, after all, so airship vs airship battles are something that both sides would want to avoid.

Runetech still functions based off magical energy, not fuel.

I would tell you to cut down on the amount of NPCs you have, because that's a lot of NPCs.

Quarterstaff is talentium? Or no.

@Warm Regret
Boo, no heterochromia.

That being said, might want to search for a picture that coincides with your appearance description. You say that he has royal blue hair, but he has brown hair in the picture.

Slippers made of talentium would be like wearing metal boots. Not flexible or comfortable. If you're saying that his slippers have talentium bits embedded into them, though, its fine.

Astopol has no brothels, and if it was Astopolian knights that raided the village, they would have killed them all, not captured and then raped them. Essentially, it'd work better if he was carted off to Illiserev, because that place is the seediest (if not the wealthiest).

It feels sorta like your idea of Astopol is off. They're basically a nation of lawful good people, with an extreme prejudice against sentient non-humans.

@All
I'll most likely be setting up the OOC on Sunday. Mainly waiting for a response from another.
Well I aim to please, heterochromia added ^^

Lucky for me someone had already touched up the photo I wanted to use so I was able to use the same photo with the blue hair. ^_^

I was going back and forth with what kind of footwear to give him but I guess I'll just go with the slippers, I mentioned the part about bits of talentium in them.

Aww, I wanted to be from Astopol ;_; lol well it's ok in an effort to save myself time from redoing too much of the CS, I just placed him in Illiserev instead ^_^ Also thanks for offering a little more clarity for Astopol. ^^

I'm tired.

I wrote a maid character. Serving under some unnamed Illiservian Family. If anyone wants to have her be one of their servants then lemme know. I'm all for it. If something is off/need changes, lemme know.

"Peace is a Precious Sort of Thing"
Elaina%20Prev_zpsvg56byz1.jpeg

The Winguster Assassin

Appearance:
RP%20Elaina_zpswsxznzd8.jpg

Her hair is dyed red. The shade of purple seen in the picture is what it is naturally supposed be. Her left eye is supposed be blue in color, but magic is used to make the opposite eye red as well. A well made wax attachment gives her ears a normal human appearance. Hiding the fact that they are actually Elven ears that have been partially hacked off.

After you replace the dress skirt with a miniskirt, take away the constricting bowtie and let loose her tied up hair, this Maid ends up looking rather sporty.

Personality:
Pleasant, yet detached. Elaina usually comes off as a mediocre servant with a penchant for teasing people. She isn't well attuned to the small intricacies of Maid and Butlership when it comes to receiving guests, coming off as a bit to brash and informal for high society. Her one saving grace is her excellent cooking skills, as well as being somewhat adept at fighting. Though, the latter's true extent is something that her current owners are aware of. At first glance, she's completely unimpressive as a person. For good reason, as she has many things to hide.

Background:
Though 'Young' compared to the other veterans. This unassuming maid is yet another 'relic' left behind after the end of the war. Left a little aimless now that an age of peace has been achieved, and one of those whom shed the blood necessary in order to bring it about.

Elaina is an elf. By appearance, most people wouldn't be able to distinguish her from the humans she prefers to mingle with. In fact, being identified as an Elf if the last thing she could ever possibly want. No one save for herself knows what separated her from her kin and brethren when she was found by a human. But when a certain Illiserv Merchant came upon this elf child with her distinctive ears hacked to a third of his size, and the knife that did so in the girl's trembling but determined hands, he could only surmise that this was someone who had a reason to disown her own race. Noted for her proficiency with knives, and close quarters combat, Elaina, after a few failed stints as a Handmaid, Gardener, and a Brothel Hand (her disfigured ears were too much of a turnoff), eventually came into the ownership of the Bartel Family. The Bartel's are a family that utilized their servants for undercover operations to gather information from various locales, or even force the hand of their agendas by sabotage or assassination, if necessary. Elaina was unique in that she was an ethnic elf who could be relied upon to not return to her brethren. The Bartel's trained her and went so far as to fashion wax ears to restore her elf-like appearance for the mission. Once prepared, they assigned her tasks in the Talze Utera Region. Operating under the auspices of bringing trade trinkets from the human countries.

Her time over there had little worth of note - mostly gathering intelligence independently and doing trade to keep up her appearance. She was eventually called back to Illiserv, to fill in a position of an assassin who fell in the line of duty. It was there that she became involved in the political assassinations of Illiserv Aristocrats whom opposed the war effort. These assassins were feared for their ability murder nobles under guard by their servants. This reputation, and the telltale cross face cut, was one dark secret behind the 'unity' of the three kingdoms during the war. Elaina gained her wings as an assassin during this time. She was truly tested in the months prior to the Invasion of Talze Utera. Her mission was to coordinate and execute plans to disrupt defensive plans and cause general chaos in a covert fashion. It was rumored that she was particularly cruel to her own fellow elves, but what exactly she did is now only known to herself and a few select individuals.

After the war, Elaina and her Trusted Quicksilver Knife were retired. Among the Families who contributed the Assassin Members, they promised to retire them into obscurity to never be used again. For some, this meant being sent far away, for others, it meant being given freedom, or being assigned positions that would keep them happy and occupied for the remainder of their lives. For a few unfortunate ones, it meant death and disposal. For Elaina, she was given to a recently arisen merchant family who grew from the Bartels. Living a peaceful, if not busy life as a maid. Her job as a spy is not yet over; for at the moment she is 'asleep,' Waiting for the day her new employers irk the Bartels in the wrong way, warranting them to make use of her.

In her new home, Elaina is infamous among the staff for being a rude Maid who teases guests and fellow staff alike. Her cooking is the real deal, however, and she does the rest of her maid duties acceptably. She is otherwise just: 'the one that cooks.'

Elaina became the personal Handmaid to Agatha Nightingale soon after. For the past 10 years, Elaina has been in faithful service to her current mistress. Though they both met looking roughly the same age, it is now apparent that Elaina's master ages faster. Considering Agatha looks like an adult, whilst Elaina still seems to be in her late teens, by appearance. Nonetheless, over the years Agatha has gotten accustomed to Elaina being around, considering he as a second sister. Even after all this, she is still able to rile up Agatha with her teasing remarks.

It seemed like a natural punishment for Elaina to end up serving on Agatha's Airship, considering she herself is not partial to them. The thought of being blown up in the sky does not bode too well with her.

Abilities (In Summary):
Elaina's Combat Skills can be broken down into a multitude of smaller moves that work in concert to give her a multitude of options when in an engagement. Allowing her to maneuver and attack in what may seem like a single move. The moves rely on making single, critical blows and backing out when necessary. She can easily chain her retreat into another attack, making her a persistent fighter that gives her foe's little time for pause. She is also a fighter whom is comfortable in attacking from the air. Launching strikes on opponent from unexpected angles. Her magic is generally used to enhance her weapon strikes. Couple that with Elvin magic philosophy, makes her skills very efficient in regards to mana usage.

Equipment:
Save for her miscellaneous items. These are the directly combat related items she carries around.

Quicksilver Butterfly Knife - Quicksilver was traditionally believed to be very effective against non-humans and monsters. It was championed for it's light weight and brilliant shine when even the dimmest light was shined upon it. While the 'Winguster Assasin' was attributed to having wielded a brilliantly shining Talentium Sword in the stories, this is the real article that committed it all. While many would think of it as a backup weapon, some would be alarmed to find how much more efficient she becomes when using this weapon. As all of the skills she uses were mastered with it.

Talentium Shortsword - A short-sword made of Talentium. It was made by a blacksmith who was just picking up on how to work with the material. While it is rather plain, it has the basics of form and balance that makes it a breeze to wield. She tends to use this one in battle since her old weapon is supposed cut the carrots for tonight's meal.

Sand Pouch - A small bag filled with sand. She uses it for 'magic tricks.'

Personal Talents
Useful skills this character has outside of combat situations.

Cooking Sister - One of the personal Chefs of her employers. Her Illiservian style of cooking is genuinely delightful.
Knifeplay and other Slight of Hand Tricks - Coming from a person who prefers using her Trusty Butterfly Knife over a Kitchen Knife in most cooking scenarios.
Unassuming - It would take a markedly perceptive person to realize how much this Maid Has to Hide. Not only her Elf Identity, but her Magical Capacities as well.
Eavesdropper - As someone who is easily dismissed as being in the background, she is skilled at picking up things that are supposed be said in whispers.
Geography Nut - For a maid, she sure seems to know quite an amount about where is what in the world.
Climber - Excellent at climbing. Elaina is the one tasked with clearing the roof of the Master's home. She doesn't need a ladder to get up there.

Noncombat Motions
Details this character's movement style, and other special capacities.

Maneuver Arts
These detail the building blocks of Elaina's movement patterns. They exist to set her up for attacks, or give her moves more force thanks to momentum.
  • Float: Utilizing wing magic to gain altitude isn't a new idea. Float is a weaker version of this idea. Instead of propelling the user in the air, it allows them to gently float upwards, or downwards if used in a situation where they are falling. The amount of 'movement' float grants is based on the momentum of the user prior to using this ability. Even the most heavily armed knight becomes helpless when Elaina's Talentium Blade drives through their helmet from above.
  • Dash: Simply means the user's feet lets them move and accelerate in a fraction of what it would take a normal person. Dash provides the momentum the user needs for other abilities, or to just move quickly. On the negative side, the user has to manually stop themselves (a bit of a sliding action) if they do not chain this skill into another move.
  • Air Dash: A shorter range burst of speed through the air. It gives the user the momentum to perform some of their attacks in mid-air.
  • Pivot: When in 'dash' state, this allows the user to quickly change direction in a 180 degree range in front of them without losing momentum.
  • Flip: When in dash mode, the user can gain an evasive bonus against ranged attacks. However, due to needing to recover after landing, she cannot chain it into another dash. But it can be chained into a float.
  • Cancel Bunt: When Elaina's attack directly intersects an another opponent's attack, she bounces back instead of the strikes clashing. Useful as she'd usually lose out in a contest of strength.

Attack Motions
Most of Elaina's special attacks benefit from being mana-efficient and dealing heavy damage in a single strike. Additionally, she is comfortable in using most of these skills while airborne.
  • Sky Fighter: This user is comfortable in using the detailed skills below on the ground or in the air.
Trick Arts
Moves notable for being capable of having some spamming potential, at the cost of being weaker than her other moves.
  • Azure Edge: A Basic Ranged Wind Vortex Strike Used by Swordsman. It's a reliable basic skill due to being efficient in mana usage, and having the power to stagger opponents. The bolt dissipates after a short range if it doesn't hit anything, however.
  • Sand Blot: There's a saying that says there isn't any honor among assassins. This spell that sends small bolts of wind with a sandy center flying at an opponent is one such skill that represents this saying. Though harmless, being pelted with sand can be distracting, especially when immediately worrying about getting sanded in the eyes.

Base Skills
The beef of Elaina's Fighting Ability. Notable for being chain-able into one another. Or from a Dash or other Maneuver Art.
  • Rising Curve: A powerful cut upwards that sends the user and the foe into the air. Even if the attack does not connect, it does get her some altitude.
  • Running Curve: A single, fierce slash that utilizes wind magic to project the strike further than the user's weapon can normally reach. This projected force slams into opponents in a wide arc rather than slashing them. Useful for crowd control.
  • Thrust Focus: Using wind magic, the user projects a thrust of their weapon to reach much further than it should. Giving it the range of a spear. It has blown a hole through an unarmored opponent who took the strike to the chest.
  • Dive Demon: An attack where the user dives down from the air to drive their weapon into a foe. While it has a shorter range, it can mean a direct strike to a foe's head or upper shoulders. Many people have fallen to this move in Elaina's time as an assassin, and is regarded as her signature move by those who know of her.

Finish Skills
These arts deal some serious damage if they hit. Their main point being that they leave Elaina vulnerable after usage.
  • Punish Brand: A wide triangular cut. The bottom sweeps across the legs, the left and right cuts take the arms, and converge to cut the victim's head in half. Actually decapitating anyone is unlikely with the weapon she uses, but the skill is notable for being the 'punish' mark used to leave a distinct signature during the political assassinations over a decade ago.
  • Triangle Tri-Slash: One of the user's finishing moves. Inspired by a certain item from a Children's Fairy Tale. The user delivers a series of slashes that form a set of three triangles which all form a single triangle. The move ends with a single fierce kick. The flashiest move in the user's move set.

Image Source: OC Character By Pixiv User: tsuedzu

Last edited:
I posted in the OOC before I realized the tag specified invitation only, so I will post my interest here instead.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Ehb
Oi. Interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.