Another Horizon: Swords, Magic, and Anime Physics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna throw my interest in here too.
(Feeling a kind of battle priest church militant type)

I'll probably have a character sheet up some time tomorrow or later on tonight.

i'll place interest here. But my schedule is busy until sunday, so i won't be able to commit to actually role playing until then(but ooc stuff works fine).

Still here.

Turns out I'm good for questions. Everything in the Index pretty much answered all of them except for the magical side of the wildlife population (i.e. Dragons, sprites, harry potter animals, etc.). Are there any?

@ERode

Those things are generally considered monsters, and thus have been either hunted down to extinction, or have gone into hiding.

Even the sprites were seen as evil due to Talze Uteran affiliations, and unfortunately for them, they weren't as sexually attractive as elves.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Rough Draft:
BvJC1SC.jpg

"Oh boy. I'm so excited. Not." (Can I just add a theme song later? Super brain dead when it comes to music right now.)
Tristan Norwyn
The Ashen Revanchist

Tristan is a very... 'Normal' person, personality wise. Possessing no real personality quirks, he prides himself on his ability to become 'one' with a crowd. Nothing about him stands out, and he likes to keep it that way. Somewhat socially awkward, he's not very good when it comes to conversation. While sociable, he'll never go out of his way to strike up some chitter-chat. All in all, he's a quite... 'whelmed' individual.

Son of a knight and witch, Tristan grew up in Astapol unaware of his origins. Instead, he grew up like most other children of Astapol. In an orphanage where he was taught the art of combat. His performance was quite average, intentionally going out of his way to stay in the middle of the pack. If he had poured all of his effort into his training, he could have easily been above average, yet still below the children who were obviously God's gift to mankind. Damn Chosen Ones.

Yet the war reached its end before any children were thrust into the battlefield. Because that would have been crazy. Instead, he and his fellow orphans were conscripted to a War Company. The idea was for them to continue their training before becoming apart of Astapol's official army. And many did. Except for Tristan. He literally fell down a hole into a cave where he was assumed to have died.

But he didn't. It wasn't a massive drop so he got off with only a sprained ankle. After making his way out of the cave, he figured he had two choices. A: Go back to the War Company. B: Adventure. 15 year old dumbass Tristan chose adventure. And boy did he get more than he bargained for. While he does his best to keep his history private, it's a well known fact he was involved with The Whiteviolet Purge, though to what extent is unknown.

Now 22, Tristan is a mercenary, though he frequently finds himself taking commissions from the Astapol Army to handle matters they deem important, yet not worth expending man-power on.

And that's all I have for now. Which, actually leaves me with 2 questions:

1. What are the exact limits/types of abilities characters can have? Like, aside from magic whoosh-whoosh-bewm-bewm would a character be able to have any sort of special skill/ability?

2. Came to a cross-roads in terms of a weapon. I was originally going to go for a simple Talentium Kukri, then I saw something that looked pretty cool and I became extremely indecisive. So, my question is this - if I went for the more peculiar looking sword, could I just go with "it's a Talentium sword" or is the design so 'different/strange' it wouldn't fly?

Oh geez, guess the Index didn't cover this, huh?

Talentium serves as an amplifier for two things: magical power and willpower. While magical power relates to one's ability to cast spells and whatnot, something that requires an open mind, willpower is amplified to the extent that one can distort reality by singlemindedly willing for something to happen. Thus, two distinct methods of using Talentium was developed, and while they are not mutually exclusive, they require different ways of thinking in combat.

Arts are the usage of Talentium and Magic, allowing for one to freely cast most spells with thought alone, using it together with your martial art. This is flexible and 'easy' to learn, as you can get teachers to teach you moves.

Skills are using Talentium to impose your will upon reality, allowing you to perform purely physical feats that can be considered impossible to do. Examples of this would be 'an uppercut that launches people in the air regardless of weight' or 'a backstab that pierces all defenses' or 'three simultaneous strikes from one sword'. The stronger one's will, the stronger the Skill. The simpler the concept of the Skill, the easier it is to impose. But conversely, Skills are much less reliable and less flexible compared to Arts, because a disrupted state of mind really disturbs the effectiveness of a Skill.

It's sorta like the difference between playing with a full deck of playing with a hand full of aces.

As a general boost though, Talentium increases your physical stats, but more so for Skill users.

Naturally, the amount you get boosted by is largely reliant on your compatibility.

And yeah, sword design is fine. There's been weirder shit.

With all this new information I got a better view of how Jacts would work in this reality. ^^ I'm so happy, getting to work on it now.

Now I have a few questions about Runetech and Talentium.

1) Obviously it's virtually impossible to break and melt Talentium. So what would it take to keep talentium to melt(and break for that matter)? And for that matter, how long would that be for?

2) How does talentium enhance magic? Does it just have to be on the person, or does anything special have to be done?

3) Runes would require charging every so often I would assume, and how would say a Furnace Rune work(basically a rune that keeps things hot). Preferably a high power one.

4) Does rune tech look more steampunky, or magitechy?

That's it for now. I'll ask if I have more

Last edited:
Now I have a few questions about Runetech and Talentium.

1) Obviously it's virtually impossible to break and melt Talentium. So what would it take to keep talentium to melt(and break for that matter)? And for that matter, how long would that be for?

2) How does talentium enhance magic? Does it just have to be on the person, or does anything special have to be fine.

3) Runes would require charging every so often I would assume, and how would say a Furnace Rune work(basically a rune that keeps things hot). Preferably a high power one.

4) Does rune tech look more steampunky, or magitechy?

That's it for now. I'll ask if I have more
1) Not sure what you're asking here. Talentium is only malleable/forgeable for a week after the Rift Beast is dead. After that, it becomes solid, regardless of whether or not you've tossed it in a volcano or a forge. During that week though, it's basically the same as iron.

2) Talentium enhances magic through unknown means. Different people who wield the same talentium weapon feel a different rush of energy through them. Essentially, they don't know why or how it happens, just that it does. And it has to be a living being.

3) Runes don't require charging. Think of it more as a spell that is already there, just requiring magical energy to flow through it. What matters more is to ensure that the runes themselves are inscribed neatly and tidily, because rune magic by itself disappears after usage, while runetech makes said runes long-lasting. A Furnace Rune is just a fire rune inscribed onto a forge. The more magical energy you pump into it, the hotter it'd get. Basically, the idea behind runetech is that you don't have to learn spells in order to cast them. You can just buy them.

4) They look like someone carved symbols into ordinary objects.

1) Not sure what you're asking here. Talentium is only malleable/forgeable for a week after the Rift Beast is dead. After that, it becomes solid, regardless of whether or not you've tossed it in a volcano or a forge. During that week though, it's basically the same as iron.
I'm asking what kind of force(if there is any) could break or melt Talentium

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Izurich
Actually, I have a question too...would it be considered too much of a stretch if one of our characters had more than one Talentium item? I'm toying around with some details for my character and just wondering if I should go in another direction... What I'm thinking, is maybe having a set of Talentium but they both perform the same way, like for example a piece of Talentium that was built into a pair of shoes or gloves?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.