Animus Veritas: Humanity's Last Home

When does the Walrus bacon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel we need a slogan or catchy line for going on missions.

Verita-born, roll out?

What do you mean "It's taken"
How about.

"Fuck it, why not."
... "FOR ANIMUS!" *Charges into certain death.*

"yolo"

Seriously though, it'd be pretty cool if we had a squad name. Vertia-Born sounds pretty epic nice.

Derringer: A power suit user who is presumed dead as a result of contact with unknown species in the middle of a scouting mission. He leaves behind three adopted children and a husband.
Oooh, could I get the husband's name once you're awake? Varsel probably would have been using his Caretaker/Therapist profession to try and calm him, and Varsel would try and promise to find Derringer (or his body, at least.

Verita-born, roll out?

"Cancer monkeys, charge!"

Reactions: Snakey
Because it's awkward to wield a Power Suit, the essence of ranged combat is lost on the majority of them: The level of precision necessary to wield a rifle, simply isn't there without severe levels of modifications that draw great attention to the user. Plus, whilst a power suit uses a ranged weapon, it cannot put up a proper defense, becoming extremely vulnerable to ranged sharpshooters.
Uh, what do you mean by "can't put up a proper defense"?

This is really looking like a worse and worse idea as I go along...

You can have an unlimited number of tranquilizer darts to be blunt. This weapon isn't exactly going to put down armoured targets. :ferret: Although you can make more ammo for yourself, seeing as how you're an Artificer. Also keep in mind that you still won't be as skilled using this weapon as a Ranger would be, but seeing as how it's non-lethal and doesn't pierce armour, the penalties won't be severe.
Updated April O'Neil.

I have two ideas in the works right now, and will probably slap both of them up in this post once they're completed. If one starts taking too long, I'll just go with whichever gets done first. Anyway, will be working on them both in detail today.

Verita-born, roll out?

"Glory to the first man who dies!"

Hmm...yeah I'm gonna need to change tracks here. Not only are we swimming in Warriors, but the ranged option warrior is really sounding like a glass cannon with high threat generation, meaning pretty much certain death.

Ranged weaponry. Typically in the form of slow-firing, slow-reloading explosives, or high-powered laser rifles that hit hard with each precision shot.

Onto this, how slow reloading are we talking here on the former? Like a Grenade launcher sort of deal?

Reactions: Ozferatu
  • Name: Irving "IV" Forfax
    Sex: Male

Appearance: Irving sports an unruly shag of black hair, tinged with grey, and an equally flecked beard that partially masks a slightly weathered face, that shows both its age and its history in the rougher parts of Veritas. He stands around 6'5" and cuts an intimidating figure, even if his shoulders aren't the most broad and his physique isn't anything to marvel at. He prefers to dress in a very plain style, with simple shirts and pants, sturdy boots, and he is usually not seen without some variation on a trench coat.

Biography: Born on the outer fringes into a scrappy but small tribe, Irving became a medic, much like his mother, father, and two brothers before him. Many in the tribe were hunters, and several weren't particularly good at it, so their family was perennially nursing someone back to health. Growing up around all of this gore and these headstrong fools who rushed into combat made Irving devote himself much more passionately to medicine and technology, much preferring to take the "high road" rather than ever resorting to violence. As a result, he became known in the tribe as a pacifist, though he did always keep a weapon on hand in case it was ever needed. As time went on, he began tinkering and bartering to rely less on traditionally deadly weaponry and more on the inventive solutions that he now employs, including electricity.

One day, when he was twenty-three, he discovered a girl who was apparently very lost. She was dressed in the blue formal dress of a Techie and was much more well-kempt than the children of his tribe. The only thing he could think to do was to walk the four year old back to the inner rings of the society, hoping she recognized some semblance of home, because he and his family were really in no position to support another human being. So, the odd pair began their journey into the wealthier sections of the ship, walking several miles in complete silence until the little girl described the event she was running away from, and he recognized it to be a funeral. Assuming that she was an orphan and knowing full well that there was no way he could let her back out on the streets if she was, he decided he would raise her in an area closer to the center of Veritas then where he grew up, so that their lives would be easier. Dividing his time between being a father of sorts to the girl, a medic for the community, and tinkering with the mechanical odds and ends that crossed his path, Irving has managed to live a rather ordinary life, he likes to imagine, for someone who uprooted so suddenly.

Irving has a mech companion that he affectionately calls Clyde, modeled after a pre-cataclysmic bull. Bulky and slow moving, Clyde has a few powerful running charges in him, but otherwise isn't too agile on the battlefield and is mostly good for cover and goring opponents who wander too close to his horns. Outside of combat, Clyde is a good mode of transport for cargo and people.

Background: Caretaker
    Profession: Medic
    Combat Role: Ranger

Unique Abilities:
    • Shocking, Isn't It?: Since Irving isn't prone to violence and deadly force unless it is absolutely necessary, he prefers to use an electric-based rifle with two settings: a mode for overloading mechs and other machinery, and the other for stunning organic lifeforms.
    • Bull's Eyes: Using a panel attached to his forearm, he can see through Clyde's eyes. He often sends the mech out as a scout to check ahead for paths and enemies and the like.
    • Nanobotany: Seeing as nanobots aren't always available, or the best tools for the job, Irving is used to using more conventional, plant based medicine in a pinch. In fact, he has a compact device that he keeps on his person that allows him to identify and find plants in the area, and even help plants bloom and sprout more quickly by means of nanotechnology, though that will greatly drain the device and render it incapable of either function for a little while.
    • Lock and Overload: Irving has an overloading component that he can attach to his rifles and other weapons in order to charge up shots in order to make them penetrate armor. It considerably slows down the firing speed of his rifles when it's applied.
    • Crisis Management: In times of crisis or high-pressure situations, people usually look towards Irving for his uncanny ability to communicate and lead well even in the midst of catastrophe. (Bonus towards communication and leadership in otherwise chaotic situations.)
  • Name: Sade Bilbrey
    Sex: Female

Appearance: Her most immediately striking feature is the bit of exposed circuitry beneath both eyes from her optical implants. Otherwise, the light blonde hair cut to frame her face, small green eyes, and pale skin don't call too much attention. Her frame is incredibly average, light enough to move quickly but far from athletic, and she stands at 5'5". She takes after Irving in her love of long coats, but much prefers the tight-fitting sort of suit that is commonplace among techies who enjoy the convenience of only having to deal with a single piece of clothing. Admittedly, it's also sleek as hell, and perhaps she suffers from a touch of vanity.

Biography: Despite what she'll tell you, Sade actually has no memory of her birth parents, and Bilbrey is decidedly not her surname. The only thing that saved her from being a scrappy street urchin was the supervision of Irving. From around the age of five onward, she lived a comfortable life being mostly provided for by Veritas and the food and shelter that came along with residing in the inner areas of the ship. From a young age, she displayed a talent with machinery, able to breathe life into piles of scrap she found lying around. She helped to get Clyde back into working order when they first found him, tinkered with gadgets for herself and Irving, and finally created her two drones with which she is skilled on the piloting side of things.

A little arrogant and dramatic, Sade has always had something of a persona about her and never felt part of the tribe she and her caretaker had managed to assimilate into, so she threw herself even more into her work. All of her time spent standing off apart from everyone else actually led to her developing a rivalry of sorts with a certain Aimee Vera. She noticed the young woman from afar, not recognizing her as a member of the tribe, and kept an eye on her until she vanished from sight. Sade caught her a few more times trespassing in areas she wasn't supposed to have access to, and finally decided to confront the stranger.

Having no idea what to say, the younger woman decided only to make an impassioned speech about how she was always going to spot her no matter how well she tried to sneak. Aimee slipped by during this self-righteous diatribe and from then on, Sade declared them rivals, caught up in some eternal cat and mouse game. Occasionally, they do have normal conversations when they stumble across each other, but the relationship is definitely one based on a type of theatrical exchange... at least in the blonde's mind.

Background: Techie
    Profession: Puppeteer
    Combat Role: Ranger

Unique Abilities:
    • My Bionic Eyes: Sade constructed some implants to enhance her eyesight and had Irving put them in. They increased her vision, allowing her to see greater detail in machinery and also provided a farther scope in everyday life. They also grant her a sense of night vision, though it's not as powerful as specially-made goggles would be.
    • Angry Johnny: The combat drone which she created out of scraps, Angry Johnny, or just AJ, is a fast-moving, fairly quiet drone that packs a big punch. Remotely controlled, Sade can safely direct it from quite a distance and allow it to rain down a barrage of explosive blasts upon the enemy.
    • Cupid: Angry Johnny's little brother, Cupid, is a repair drone, and it is used to patch up any mechanical damage done to mechs, powersuits, vehicles, et cetera. The first time Cupid repairs something, it can take a long time, depending on the complexity of the damage done, but with repetition of the same task or continual work on the same device, Cupid can actually be a speedy and efficient alternative to manual repair. He is convertible, and can be carried on Sade's back, resembling a brown turtle-shell like bag.
    • Supernova: Sade rigged an ignition glove that she wears on her left hand. She can release a blast of fiery death in a single burst (and I do mean single) or a much smaller stream of flame depending on the situation, whether it is being used as a melee means of defense or to illuminate something in the darkness.
    • Not Calling You a Liar: Throughout her life, Sade has used a few aliases and crafted backstories when she didn't feel like explaining where she came from or what she was doing rifling around for spare parts. Instead, she became quick and good with a lie, leading her to become quite skilled in the art of deception.

I prefer the Rolling Stones, but I can play the walrus game if you prefer.

Last edited:

Verita-born, roll out?
Everyone besides my mute character during the battle cry:

silhouette20dancing20people.jpg

My mute character during the battle cry:

depressed-man.jpg

That makes little to no sense. How the hell is an exterminatus a reaction to the battle cry of your own team?

No, no it doesn't.

And explaining a joke also defeats the point.
Well obviously it's not a very good joke if people don't get it.

Well obviously it's not a very good joke if people don't get it.

Have you considered that the failure may be on your end rather than Kad's? I understood the joke he was making, for instance. Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bad. :P

Man, even I got the joke.
It's about the futility of using a battle cry in a combat situation because it reveals your location and leaves you open to complete and total annihilation from a numerically superior force who're potentially better-equipped than you, right? Or is it indicative of how Kad views people who want to use battle cries, that is, only deserving complete and utter destruction?
And I rarely get jokes.
Also, my CS will come up either today, tomorrow, or Friday.
Depends on how I feel and how I'll feel tomorrow and Friday after my surgery.
Ah, my bad then. I expected something actually humorous from a joke.

Reactions: Atlas Child
On the joke business:

Let's just put that behind us. X3

Also, apologies if I missed this part, but where will our characters start off when the RP starts...? Probably on the Animus Veritas, but just making sure.

I might try to throw a character together tonight after I post for Hellis.

I would like to know what kind of drones are in this setting though; is it the current UAV style, or something like the little prison drones from Guardians of the Galaxy?

Veritas*
Linus done.
And approved!
"Fuck it, why not."
The true Aussie way. That and beer.
Veritas*
Uh, what do you mean by "can't put up a proper defense"?

This is really looking like a worse and worse idea as I go along...
As in: You cannot use a ranged weapon and a defensive item at the same time. (Ex: A shield.) So unless you have incredible cover, you will probably get focused and murdered unless you have perfect positioning and know how to bait and lure effectively. Essentially, advanced tactics. Consider it turning on hard mode.
Oooh, could I get the husband's name once you're awake? Varsel probably would have been using his Caretaker/Therapist profession to try and calm him, and Varsel would try and promise to find Derringer (or his body, at least.
Apologies about this being a day or two late, but here you are: Rolland Euchaland.
Approved!
Onto this, how slow reloading are we talking here on the former? Like a Grenade launcher sort of deal?
Like, you'd probably only get one shot per post assuming you aren't spamming several actions at the same time.

@Foxxie Approved your characters!
That makes little to no sense. How the hell is an exterminatus a reaction to the battle cry of your own team?
Let's just put that behind us. X3
The voice of reason posted a Bob Marley song. I just wanted to point that out. :ferret:
Also, apologies if I missed this part, but where will our characters start off when the RP starts...? Probably on the Animus Veritas, but just making sure.
They'll be starting near the crashed ship on the alien planet, with an introduction sequence that'll let you detail what your character did to get there with a little bit of guidance and help from me to get started. Shortly thereafter you'll get presented with decisions, at which point you can make your own choices totally independent of me. :ferret: Speaking of the IC...

IC Goes up this weekend!

I might try to throw a character together tonight after I post for Hellis.
Neat!
I would like to know what kind of drones are in this setting though; is it the current UAV style, or something like the little prison drones from Guardians of the Galaxy?
Either or. Drones are simply automatons that can do a variety of purposes, ranging from high mobility combat to stealthy scouting, to repairs and medical procedures, to anything else you can think of.

Reactions: Jakers
Status
Not open for further replies.