anime recommendations

I recommend Guilty Crown, Vampire Knight, and Psycho-Pass.

I've seen it mentioned a couple times, but Clannad is definitely the best one to go to for teh feels, imo.

There's also Angel Beats!, which hasn't been mentioned yet and is really good and feel intensive too, albeit rather short.

Since you said you liked gundam, I HIGHLY recommend Gundam Build Fighters if you haven't watched it yet.

Other than that, I guess Gargantia, Clannad, and maybe Samurai Flamenco (holy shit this anime was a ride, but I'm not sure if a marathon would give the same effect to it as watching it when it came out.)

Also Boku no Pico

Cowboy Bebop: If you haven't watched it, watch it. It's an anime that is deliberately aimed at a western audience and it nails it. The beginning is charming, the journey is heartfelt, and the ending is surprisingly touching, for a cartoon.

"See you later, Space Cowboy."

Fullmetal Alchemist: I'm sure others have recommended it, but they do with good reason. Brotherhood is darker than the original take on it, but both are incredible well done in crafting the tale of two brothers who stumble on far more about humanity than they would have originally imagined.

Naruto: Hahaha, no. Believe it.

Blue Gender: A little known anime with a rather B-Grade plot that gets the job done. It features mechanized troops fighting to retake Earth, with a select few infected with a virus that allows them to inherently understand the enemy. What looks like a rather mediocre sci-fi anime turns out to be a stark look at man versus self versus nature, and features an extremely well done romance between the two main characters, along with interesting side characters. Spoiler alert: Some of them die. Good luck guessing who, it threw me for a couple loops when I watched it the first time.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: If you like mindfuck stuff, this will rock your socks off. If you don't, avoid it. Aesthetically though it has some rather interesting choices. Something to keep in mind while watching: The screenwriter was facing suicidal thoughts when he created the original script, and each character is a manifestation of his own trouble mind. When you view it in this context, it goes from "what the fuck?" to "oh, oh fuck, I'm viewing the inner mind of a man brought to the edge of madness and suicide."

Eureka Seven: This anime is all sorts of cute. It's got your slice of life... ON A SHIP! It has surfboarding... ON AIR! It has a cutesy prepubescent couple that draws you in and makes you fall in love with it... And then... It hits you. I can't even say how without spoiling it, but needless to say, I came for the adorable sci-fi, I stayed for the drama and to see if they could hang on to life and each other.

There you go. Have fun. :bsmile:

EDIT

Also, another point for Blue Gender. Some pretty kickass music.

Last edited:
Samurai Champloo: What anime is the best when it comes to fighting. This one. Seriously, the art is amazing, the fights stunning and the character portrayal excellent.

Baccano!; Seriusly, this how is so much fun.

Tokyo Tribes 2; Gosh gosh gosh.

Naruto: Hahaha, no. Believe it.
I'm gonna be thinking about that opening for the rest of my life

My standard anime suggestions are Hellsing and Berserk, neither have much of anything to do with what OP's describing but you should watch them anyway

Reactions: Brovo
Let me just peer over my shoulder at my dvd cabinet....

Wolf's Rain; that was an excellent anime. Only complaint that seems legit however, is the story can feel a bit diluted at times with excess dialogue.

Ghost in the Shell (1st and 2nd GIG + movies); Just a damn good series that will keep one thinking about the massive amount of connections.

Abenobashi, Magical Shopping Arcade; absolute ridiculous fun.

Blue Sub #6; one of the best anime's I've seen.

Cowboy Bebop; already mentioned above, need I say more?

Hellsing (original and ultimate); they're both excellent, though Ultimate is much more accurate and considerably better animation.

FMA (Full Metal Alchemist); the original series and Brotherhood are both very very very well done. Both are worth the time to watch.

Dragon Ball Z; yeah... yeah... I can't help it.

Elfen Lied; not for little kids.

Bible Black; NOT FOR LITTLE KIDS OR... well any viewing for that matter.

Azumanga Daioh; it's just so silly it's worth watching.

Berserker; ...not meant for kids. Seriously. No really, not hentai, but not meant for virgin eyes.

Dead Leaves; honestly not sure if this actually counts as Anime, but still excellent.

Tench Muyo!; anything Tenchi. They're all pretty entertaining... but there is a lot of them.

Serial Experiment Lain; as mentioned above as well.

Won't bother going to heavily into movies... list is getting long as it is.

Anohana
Code geass
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Noragami
Durarara!!
Ao no Exorcist
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Shugo Chara!!
Kyoukai No Kanata (this was an okay anime in my opinion but it is quite an interesting world the author made)
Magi: the Labrynth of Magic
Soul Eater
Inuyasha
Vampire Knight
Fooly Cooly
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
ANYTHING GHIBLI RELATED PARTICULARLY SPIRITED AWAY
of course Naruto
Fairy tail
Kill La Kill
Kuroko No Basuke (I have not watched this, nor do I have any intentions of, but you said you like sports animes so maybe you have seen it, maybe not)
Yowapeda (again haven't seen)
CardCaptor Sakura
Sailor Moon (both original and reboot)
Tokyo Ghoul
Bleach
Sword Art Online
Gurren Lagann
When they Cry (haha this will mentally fuck you up)

Last edited:
Seems like mostly everything has been covered, but if you're looking for something crazy, funny, and kinda slice-of-life, Nichijou is my best recommendation. I cried my eyes out from laughing while watching that show.

So yeah, gonna suggest things.

Number one suggestion = Gungrave

Seriously, this show is underrated by a mile long wide ditch. It's a great show with an emphasis on the origins of the Main protagonist and Antagonist, Character Development, giving the villains more depth and less shoehorned sense of villainy. The ending is depressing, so keep in mind of that.

Gunsword - Great Sci-Fi Mech anime. Has some really cool mech scenes and non mech scenes. The comedy is well done, which I find is lacking in some anime. There's one episode that's alittle weird, but eh, the rest is golden.

Samurai 7 - Steampunkish anime take on the classic story. Nuff said.

Soul Eater - Great show, each main character has their badassness and goofyness. They seemingly blend comedic fight animations with serious fight animations, and it's a treat. It's also visually stunning.

Persona 4: Animation - I absolutely adore this show. It will make you laugh, and it will make you feels. Plus it has one of the greatest child characters too.

Hellsing Ultimate - Yeah, it's a great fuckin show, watch it.

One Piece - Sooo, the amount of episodes will likely put you off, but I'd recommend watching it at a leisurely pace. Unlike the other two big hits(Bleach and Naruto) it's actually good.

One Piece - Sooo, the amount of episodes will likely put you off, but I'd recommend watching it at a leisurely pace. Unlike the other two big hits(Bleach and Naruto) it's actually good.

Admittedly... I actually enjoy One Piece. I've only seen maybe the first thirty episodes; I just don't find it annoying like I do with Bleach or Naruto. I got through about a dozen episodes of Bleach and Naruto and just couldn't find anything to hold my interest.