Animals Don't Belong In Zoos

S

Sakura

Original poster
Animals.gif
[DASH="#FF0066"]
Do Animals Belong In Zoos ?
[/DASH]​

This article talks about how zoos totally change the way an animal lives and completely ruin its chances of living and surviving in its natural habitat, or the wild. Their needs are pretty much ignored. Birds are made for flying, but they can't fly. Lions should be hunting, but they're just showcases.

Are the zoos really worth it ?

What do you think ? Let me hear your opinions <3

That is a really really good topic! o__o

I really do believe that animals should remain wild and in their natural habitats... BUT, I can see the use and need for keeping some inside of zoos, so long as they are treated properly and allowed to make use of their natural instincts and abilities when able.

Natural habitats are getting destroyed everyday and soon the only living member of the species might be in zoos. There is at least that one small chance that the species could be brought back and reintroduced to the wild. The ideal solution is to flat out stop the destruction of habitats, but the reality is that it's not going to happen fast enough to save some of our wild species. ._.

I like to think that somewhere out there, that a few aliens have been storing species and humans too for saving them "just in case". XD

how many species have been saved by zoos?

how many more will be?

I, for one, am all for zoos. One of the reasons is what Diana said, they help provide kind of a fallback in case humans are too stupid.

Sure birds may not be able to fly in zoos but the chicks they have will be able to. And if something would happen to us humans I am fully confident that the smaller uncaged animals will survive.

Zoos provide education with a close up view of the animal. Even though you got children pressing their faces in on the glass (lol harry potter scene) the animals there really don't seem to care. And after all, zoos themselves only have about 1-10 animals per specie. So there really isn't much of a problem in my eyes.

The ideal solution is to flat out stop the destruction of habitats, but the reality is that it's not going to happen fast enough to save some of our wild species. ._.

I like to think that somewhere out there, that a few aliens have been storing species and humans too for saving them "just in case". XD

But if its not gonna happen fast enough, what can we do ? If you were able to provide any solution and had the power to make it happen, what would you do ?

how many species have been saved by zoos?

how many more will be?

Wow. You're so good at stunning words. But let me ask you this:

How many species have disappeared because of us?

How many more will perish ?

Sure birds may not be able to fly in zoos but the chicks they have will be able to. And if something would happen to us humans I am fully confident that the smaller uncaged animals will survive.

Zoos provide education with a close up view of the animal. Even though you got children pressing their faces in on the glass (lol harry potter scene) the animals there really don't seem to care. And after all, zoos themselves only have about 1-10 animals per specie. So there really isn't much of a problem in my eyes.

Don't you ever wonder if its rather strange that the animal doesn't care ?

Wow. You're so good at stunning words. But let me ask you this:

How many species have disappeared because of us?

How many more will perish ?

too many, the tasmanian tiger for instance. i never got the chance to see one because the last thylacine died in captivity in the 30s if my memory serves.

as for the second part, once again, its too many, the actual number iteself is unimportant.

our arrogance or our avarice are the causes in most cases.

If I had the POWER to make it happen? >:D

I think one of the best ways is to stop the destruction of our forests. That would be a good first step. Stop building new houses and clearing land, when we could be renovating the properties that already exist.

Of course in areas where humans are becoming over populated and eating up more space, we'd have to do a cap on how many children people can have. OMG human rights and all that crap, but we do the same thing for animal species when they get overpopulated. Just cause humans are on the top of the food chain, doesn't make us an entitled species. e.e;

Next step would be killing our dependency on fossil fuels and creating green energy sources! This would slow down/stop the climate changes that are a direct cause by human pollution. Mind you climate change is still a natural process, and eventually all climates shift - but we can still reduce the human influence.

People are already trying to take these steps now, but all the politics in it have delayed progress. t___t

Thank you for your feedback :) It's great! :D

What's the one animal that shouldn't be in the zoo?

I will stay away from this topic because I don't want to argue with people. Even if it is considered only a discussion it will turn into an arguement in my mind, things will be said, people will get sad, and the topic will be changed from answering a question into something I would consider a tirade.

So anyway that said I can't feel just posting this without doing a response that is on topic. First off I agree with Piro. Second off for Sakura's questions directed to WMD: Who knows? I can only name two, the one WMD mentioned and the DoDo bird. As for how many more, again who knows? They try to stop it but we don't even know how many differant species live on the planet to begin with.

As for the one animal not to be in a zoo would have to be a human. We are animals but to display any of our own in a cage is to akin to slavery for my tastes.

Anyway as I said, I'd put my opinions and leave before I got in an arguements.

As for the one animal not to be in a zoo would have to be a human. We are animals but to display any of our own in a cage is to akin to slavery for my tastes.

A really good answer ! ^^ I wouldn't have thought of that, but its true. :P

&&& don't worry about causing disputes/arguments unless you REALLY think you have some supercontroversial views ;) And it's my job to mediate, so I wouldn't worry about things like that :P

Hmm....Sakura, you excel in making interesting topics.

Okay...I believe that it's important that younger children learn about animals, so that part I agree with. Young kids being able to see tigers without venturing into the jungle is a welcome sight. While the tiger may not be as majestic as it is in its natural habitat, the zoo does a good job of keeping it alive.

Humankind has driven far too many species to extinction and endangerment. Humans in themselves are a wildly varied creature, and the pride of many of the more agressive ones causes the extinction of another one, and for what? To assert their dominance? I find the concept rather idiotic. Now, I can understand hunting for survival, but killing just to mount them as a trophy? Animals have the same sense of pride as us, and I can almost assure you that they wouldn't want to be humiliated like that.

And something that troubles me that I'd like opinions on...

Human beings are a species, as well. Now...Do you believe we've made our own zoo for ourselves? Have we become so enthralled in technology that we've made our own technological zoo/prison without realizing it?

Human beings are a species, as well. Now...Do you believe we've made our own zoo for ourselves? Have we become so enthralled in technology that we've made our own technological zoo/prison without realizing it?

I always think this when they have "reality shows" on TV. You're pretty much watching the lives (fake or not) of people set in a controlled environment for the entertainment of others. It's exactly the same thing as a zoo. o___o Just without any benefits for man or animal kind. e.e;

Deary, I can't resist this one. DARN YOUSE!

I hate zoos. Yes, they save the species that we have hindered, but they're purely a crutch and a clever little money making scheme.

(Enter rant)

I just don't think zoos are practical and what's more, they may be harmful.

OH MY GOSH! A LION! A PANDA! A KOALA!

....Oh.... none of them are doing anything, I WONDER WHY? Zoos harm animals.

(Conspiracy theory)

Zoos are a dangerous cycle. They take animals out of the wild to "protect" them, all the while, breeding them and spreading their offspring to other zoos, these children don't know anything about the wild and cannot really be returned to it after too many generations.Also, what I meant by "crutch" was that, in by "protecting" these animals in these places, it allows humans to not feel as bad when we blatently destroy their habitat.

"Weeeeeeell, that's the last tree, Where's the Birds of Paradise now?"

"Don't worry, they're in a ZOO."

"Well, the swamps are drains, where are the hippos?"

"Again, Zoo."

"OH MY FUCKING GOSH! THE GLACIERS MELTED AND THE LAST OF THE SEAL PUPS HAS BEEN BLUDGEONED TO DEATH!"

"Don't worry, we have some in the zoos. we'll reintroduce them in the next ice age."

(END RANT)

Don't worry guys, the Road Warrior apocalypse will let them all free.

We all know irradiated mutants on motor bikes are cannibals.

Seriously though, I vote we free them. I want a bear mount.

Can we put Khang in a zoo? :cow:

I second that.

I hate zoos. Yes, they save the species that we have hindered, but they're purely a crutch and a clever little money making scheme.

I thought, and perhaps this is only a small percentage of them, that zoos were not for profit. They tend to rely on donations to keep up on cost for caring for animals and the exhibits.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought, and perhaps this is only a small percentage of them, that zoos were not for profit. They tend to rely on donations to keep up on cost for caring for animals and the exhibits.
You're right.

I can't believe I forgot about those....

Now I feel stupid....

*Goes off and mopes*

No, no moping or I'll have to youtube cute baby foxes for you!

IEEEEEEE! FOXES!

*Clings to Ocha, happily yipping*