Animalia

Loki felt a slight pain in his stomach, seeing Tier being dragged away by her merciless mother. Only a few moments of silence passed by before the one who was sleeping had awoken, soon to be shoved into a cage and injected as he was. Loki knew it was coming, the question that every now and again someone would ask. After 2 and a half years, he's heard it at least once for each load of innocents stolen and brought here. Why wasn't he locked up like them? What made him more special? Loki hated the last question, he was only self centered when his evil self would whisper terrible things in his mind.

As an answer to the man who had awoken quickly, Loki raised up his wrist, showing the others who seemed to be curious. "Because they've turned me into a pet." He paused. "A dog, with a shock collar so he wouldn't dare go out of bounds. Let's just say I'm the second experiment, to see if a human could tame another."
As he answered, the crow spoke up, offering his story to know why they were here.
"For the years I've been here, the only information leaked to me was 'to create a better people'. But I don't believe it." He walked closer to the crow's cage, and leaned forward. And through years of practice, he used a voice that only them in cages were in earshot of. "I believe that they plan to do terrible things after their experiments are... Perfected. To create better people, but to destroy others, too. In any case, they are making a worse person to demolish their betters." His wings vibrated and shed glitter, and he stood back up straight.
Walking back to the rolling chair, he sat down and looked at the crow, then the man who seemed to be growing a nub on his rear.
"If you'd like to know, I was much more comfortable and careless in that cage." He looked at the brace on his arm. "You never know when this thing may go off..."

Satin had been snoozing off her drinks at some Podunk town when they had found her... She had been so out of it, they hadn't even needed to further drug her- she'd done their job for them well enough herself.

Now she tasted bile as she woke, her head ached and her liquid-chocolate colored eyes searched through the room, what the hell was going on?

What had she drank last night? Had someone drugged her? Was she hallucinating? What the hell was wrong with her, why couldn't she get up? Everything felt too heavy- her head felt like it weighed a ton...

Satin raised a hand to her forehead, wiping away sweat and... hold on... what... was that...?

O...oh... this was one hell of a dream. Had to be...

Horns?

They were big.... and curved... and... this was one hell of a hangover to boot. She managed to finally pick her head up, and her neck ached from the strain. She managed to get herself to a sitting position and tried to look around- someone was talking... She felt nausea seeping from every pore with every movement- dear god, if she got through this hangover- she'd never drink again... a promise she had broken many times before, but this time she felt like she meant it a bit more than usual.

Also, what was on her wrists, and why couldn't she feel anything below her waist besides a dull throb?

It was so dark...

She used her hands, but even without sight, she managed to pull a double take- running her hands over her wrists and her lower body another time... and then another....

Satin was breaking into a cold sweat and tried to brush the sweat from her face again, when her hand brushed against her ear- longer and droopier than they had been... longer than any human's ears should be... Her voice came in wavering whimpers that eventually grew into passing panicked yelps and finally peaked at a full-blown shrill scream, full of fear and confusion.

This was a dream, right? This was just a dream... so why wasn't she waking up?

Her scream grew louder and louder- and abruptly cut off, trembling and shaking, she sat there, tears streaming down her face. "It's... it's just a dream... it's just a dream... It's just a dream.... it's just a dream..." She repeated a few times and tried to get up, her head struck something- wires... or bars... thin bars... a... cage?

"It's just a dream... it's just a dream." She repeated again, rubbing at her wet cheeks. "Just a dream... I'll wake up soon... I'll wake up soon because they haven't thrown me out of the bar yet... it's just the vodka giving me weird dreams... or whatever I drank... I... I'm ok... it's a dream." She murmured, trembling. Her eyes were slowly adjusting to the dark, and she saw other cages...

"Wh-what is going on- what is wrong with me?.... " She bleated out, confusion and desperation for answers seeping from her words.

"T-this is just some weird nightmare, right? Some subconscious thing, trying to get me to stop drinking.... dreams do that, right?" She added, looking around in a panic as fear welled up inside her as doubt started to take root in her theory that this was just something made up by her subconscious.

"I-I've got h-horns and...and my lower body's all... all furry and... and my feet are h-hooves...." She muttered out. "W-what's wr-wrong with me?" She cried out.

Julian came marching back into the holding room, ready to pull another away to their room. All her little test subjects were nice and cozy in their little cages. She adored each one, and hated them all. They were all hers to do with as she willed. She was not here to make life easy for them; she had to run them threw their paces. Julian had fussed over the serum that made them what they were; twisted creatures. They were her pets. Even her daughter; she was nothing more than another animal, and a failed test subject. But where her child failed the others advanced. The crow with large black wings, the fox with long plush tail and perky ears, the sheep with massive horns, the canine with sharp claws and teeth, and even the elegant butterfly, all were hers.
Her cold eyes looked at each pitiful subject, and their pain only seemed to bring her joy. For even in great pain were they success; a gateway to a new age. But now that the first step in the process was done, it was time to test. "Who wants to go next?," she asked with a sly grin.

Ceilo was scared yet enchanted by the butterfly. He strutted around giving off glitter, while speaking of such fearful things. His last remark was what had the most effect on Ceilo though. How could he prefer to be in a cage? Ceilo's soul needed ti be free, even just a few meters more of room would please him. His wings ached to flap just once, his hunger to be ridden of steel bars consumed Ceilo's mind. Yet he would put his trust in the seemingly wise and magnificent butterfly, a beast like a ray of hopeful light in this dark, evil cavern. Ceilo was about to reply with the story of his past, as promised, till he noticed a malicious presence. From the door way Ceilo could just make out a sly grin, filled with raw hunger.

"This is spectacular." A man dressed in an olive green military uniform cupped his hands around a metal mug, watching patially as the steam rose off his liquid fire and up into the small observation room. There were computers to his left, humming with the sound of a busy electrical noise. "Absolutely astonishing" His breath rolled from his lips in a content sigh, brown eyes cast out the double sided mirror to gaze at the patient strapped to the mounted surgical table. It was a female, chosen for her size in relativity to her bone mass.

"Subject 704, The Armadillo, has been injected with the growth hormone; directly into both her spinal cord and ever large bone. We should see results within the next couple hours, at the latest" A man fitted with a white lab coat and blue undershirt adjusted his glasses, running a shaky hand through his hair. "You wanted a soldier fit with complete body armor, and that is why we are striving for sir..." The scientist saluted the military man, obviously unsure of how to take his leave from the room. The man in green simply nodded, taking not his eyes from the girl lest he miss some sort of transformation.
Already her skin became discoloured around the injections sites, just as these "medical" experts had fortold. A grumble of satisfaction left his finely pressed lips, hardening his face and standing to take himself to the other rooms, to see what else was being developed.

The sting came in form of a swift hissing of machinery, all who were still in cages were administered the same dosage of tranquilizer, making them easy to cart off into their own seperate rooms. A parade of metal carts carried them down the pristine white halls of the facility, all the while too drugged to see straight or comprehend anything past the feeling of the wheels beneath their backs. Julian followed close behind, one hand grasping her daughter's and the other wrapped around Loki's shoulders.

"Be good little children and go to your rooms, you will have new friends to entertain in a couple days- we must be presentable" There was no inflection to her voice; no warm, motherly love apparent within her cold, stoic face. "Do as I say now." She added with a bit of a grunt, waiting until they had both entered their rooms to continue walking. Teir's room was labeled as "subject 700: Owl" and Loki's under "subject 702: Butterfly".

As she walked down the hall in tow of the carts, she watched the lead man in his long lab coat and blue underhirt directing them to their rooms, calling out names and listing off specimin numbers. "The wolf is already in his room, label his door with Subject 705" He spoke to a short, stout woman with thick blond curls. Make sure that numbers 699 and 708, fox and crow are placed on the left, add number 707, leopard, to the right hand room with the wolf." He then took a quick inhale, looking straight ahead at a set of rooms that were centered between a fork in the halways. "706: snake should be left alone and subject 709, the sheep, should be put with number 704... not all creatures need to be separated, but I won't trust the sneaky spirited ones together..." He grumbled under her breath, crossing his arms over his chest once all specimens were strapped down in their beds.

"Hook them up to the chemical drip and let's get this done, we've enough excitement for one day. Shut down the wing and lock everything. I want high security in here..." He looked directing into Julian's eyes and pushed his glasses back. "I will not allow failure again Julian."

This of course was a stab at the loss of numbers 701 and 703, both which had attempted to escape and were terminated after stepping foot out of the facility.

"yes sir."

707, leopard. That was him now. Rick ground his sharp new teeth together. At least he knew what species they'd mixed him with. He wondered if they'd treat him differently if they knew he would have accepted the transformation, embraced it, if only they had asked. He was different now. All of them were. Freaks, sure, but at least they stood out. At least I'm worth noticing now, he thought. He thought about the wolf. Both of them had tried to escape within a few minutes of one another. Maybe they had something in common. Or, Rick reasoned, maybe they would get along in much the same way cats and dogs did.

He then began to think about the butterfly man, Loki. He said they had made him into a pet. That was their plan for the rest of them as well, surely. Rick didn't want to be anyone's pet. For all his life he had been invisible, unnoticed even by his parents. When they and his older sister died, no one even knew he was the family's sole survivor. But now he stood out. He came to a decision; he would let them finish whatever they were doing to him, and then he would tell them - no, he would show them - that he wasn't going to be a tame little tabby, but a proper leopard. Just what they wanted.

Tier just sat on her great big bed, her feet dangling over the edge. Her mother had literally thrown her in her with the simple words, "Go to sleep." But Tier could not sleep. She tried so hard, but her eyes were wide with curiosity and fear. This room was so big! She could walk around and stretch out her legs. Though the space was liberating, it was also frightening. With the lights off, this open space felt like a blackened forest. She was afraid that something would reach out and grab her; most likely something from underneath her bed. As soon as such thoughts entered her head, her legs were up on the bed as she hugged them tight to her chest.'Go to sleep, go to sleep,' Tier repeated to herself as she crawled under the covers.

Tier stared into the darkness from underneath her blankets for ages, but eventually her eyes did tire, and her mind could no longer function. And with the added help of a comfortable bed--extremely comfortable when compared to the cage--she drifted off into a world of dreams and hopes.

Avi stepped away from the door to her room with wide eyes. It looked suspiciously similar to the room she had been given during her training, sorry, visit to the nunnery. Pattering over to the bed, she sat on it and started to take stock of the changes in her body. The palms of her hands were padded, more like a dog's paw, and her nails had sharpened to vicious points. Her ears were twitching, listening to the air move and the scientists walking outside her door. There was a thick, bushy tail that she was sure would hamper movement, but instead increased her stability.
Curling up on her bad, she thought about what the butterfly-man had said. Perfecting the human race by splicing in animal DNA? Or just by injection? Avi mulled over these thoughts before gradually falling asleep.

Ceilo despised being referred to as a number- 708 he'd been called- as it took away any last feelings of freedom or individuality. No longer was he a happy human called Ceilo. Now he was just 708, a caged crow man. On the bright side- if you could call the dark room Ceilo was in that- at least he had more room now. Unleashing his feathery wings, Ceilo flapped around the room a while. Even if it wasnt proper flying, it was better than before. All the exercise after being so still for so long wore Ceilo out quickly, thus he fell (he literally fell from the air) on his bed to sleep.

Rick found it uncomfortable to sit at his bed like a normal person. The tail he was still in the process of growing made sitting down awkward. So he lay on his bed, curled up on his side. So that was why animals lay down like that.

Actually, he was uncomfortable period. Everything hurt. He figured that was because he wasn't done yet. He wasn't fully transformed. He looked at his hands, flexing the thick fingers so that the retractable claws slid out, then back in. That hurt, too, but he couldn't get over how nice it felt to have a weapon so readily available. He did this again and again until he felt that he was getting used to the novel sensation. For the first time, he looked at his feet. The toes had started changing form and his feet were beginning to bend into that animalistic crouching shape, but they were still mostly human. He remembered the doctors mentioning that one of the injections wasn't quite finished. It must be the one for his new skeleton.

He finally decided to try and get some sleep. He didn't know how he ever would. The pain kept shooting through him, crawling through his nerves, squeezing his bones, pinching and pulling at his muscles. He wondered if breakfast would be human food, or raw meat like an animal at the zoo.

Shuan is seen standing, paceing his room thinking of the best escape plan there is to be offerd to the other's. " How will we get away from this god forsaken island. " He said as he sat down curlling his tail around his side. " There is practicly no escape. But if we gang up on a guard and take their keys we may just be able to access a vehicle of some sort... " He said as his eyes lightend up and his ears perking from their layed back possition. " That may just work. " After he said that he decided to lay back haveing his tail in a rather comfterble spot on his bed , a hole he has made so he can stick it through the bed so he can lay down on his back.

Kendalls eyes opened slowly, fuzzy and blurring with a bright white light that instantly shot pain into the front of her head. Her body tingled as if she was going through accupuncture, burning hot pains shooting through both wrists and down her spine. The static sound of machinery filled her ears, only to spread her head pain down the sides of her temples and into her jaw. The room was too clean and too quiet.

"ughhh" Kendall managed to omit a groveling moan, smacking her lips together as her sudden thirst came to her attention. What happened? Soon enough, her eyes focused, and the subtle bleeping of a monitor next to her bed made her shiver. If she wasn't too sore to move her limbs, she would have found out she was restrained, tied tot he bed like a psycho.

"s-someone?" she choked, unable to turn her head completely to look around; vision blinded by wired and flashing lights directly next to her face. "someone?!"

Shuan heard somebody scream as he lifted his head from his bed. " Looks like the got anotherone... " He sighhs. " When will they stop? " He says to himself in a quiet tone.

Somehow, Rick had fallen asleep, even through all the hurt and tension his body was going through during its slow transformation. The sound of a scream came through into his dreams, but the words didn't make it, transforming the noise into nothing more than a voiceless yell.

Rick was dreaming of a jungle. Various ferns and tall trees, the sort of thing one would see in a Vietnam War documentary perhaps, were all around him. The air was noisy with bird calls and chirping insects. Rick was aware of himself; aware of his feet - all four of them - padding lightly on soft, moist earth. Along with the damp moisture that hung in the air, he also smelled a scent he'd never known, but that he placed immediately as the smell of food.

He sped up, his legs bounding him forward, the claws digging into the mud giving him traction. He ignored the pain. He'd traversed every inch of the jungle. He was tired, sore, and hungry for food. The pain of it all made its way through his body, but he couldn't focus on it. He needed food. Then he could rest, and at least two pains might go away.

He was careful not to disturb the flora around him. He didn't want to give himself away. He kept watch on his golden, spotted legs as they rushed beneath him. He stopped. The Jungle ahead was too thick to see through.

He leapt at the nearest tree. His front and rear claws dug in to hold him in place. His paws hurt, and he had to bite his tongue to prevent himself from crying out. He climbed with ease, his limbs having enough strength to carry twice his weight. Rick grabbed at one of the branches as he came up towards the top of the tree and looked out. With his keen eyes he say a woman in white. Her coat made her stick out so easily among all the brown and green. Rick licked his lips, letting his thick, gritty tongue wipe across his pointed teeth. He shot out of the tree, claws bared, teeth ready to disembowel...

Joseph awoke in a stark white room, he closed his eyes shut and rolled over onto his stomach. After a few seconds he opened his eyes again and inspected the room he was in now. There was nothing but two beds, that wouldn't give him much to work with to try and escape.

He struggled to get into a standing position, his ribs ached, possibly from being roughed up during his failed escape attempt. "They didn't have to hurt me so damn badly." He hissed to himself, he reached out to grab onto his side but yelped softly. He had accidentally dug his claws into himself. He'd have to learn how to deal with his new features it seemed.

He slowly lowered himself onto one of the beds, no sense in not taking a rest since he had no escape route. He'd have to plan one again, but more carefully. He thought back to the room he was originally in and the other people, they were like him. He peered at the bed next to his, the extra bed meant they were going to stick someone else in here.

If Joseph could team up with whoever would be his new roommate they could work together and free themselves. He'd also have to try and save the others, not because he cared for them, but because there was safety in numbers, and they too were victims of whatever experiments occurred here. Surely they'd also want to escape and get some revenge.

With these thought in mind Joseph slowly drifted off into a fitful sleep.

Shuan sat up as he looked about his room. " Maybe i can make a lock pick out of some of these matirials in the room.. " He said as he got up from his bed and picked up some string a wire and what looks to be like a keyring. " This shall be fine. " He says as he started to bend and twist the wire and straightens the keyring. " Ahhhaaa! " He says as he reached the door of the cage and reached his arm around as he inserted the wire into the key hole as well as the straightend keyring. " Now lets twist this turn this and last pull this up. " He smiled as he heard a click, but frowned as he noticed the lock wouldn't turn. He soon gave up as he returned to his baed and picked up a book that was underneath his bed. " Well that's attempt twenty two failed. " He said with a sigh.

Satin had managed to crack open an eye. Her body ached still, and she was trying to ignore it- it was quickly proving to be impossible. Was this hell?

It had to be...

Someone was talking, calling out... in pain? Probably- she had heard other people talking before she got tranqed and moved to wherever.... she was now. She moved to get up, but moved too quickly and a sense of vertigo washed over her as she groaned. "H-hey.... " She started to say, looking through the room to find out who it was.

She stifled a bit of a gasp to see the woman in the room with her, wired up and restrained. And something... looked off about her.

Satin moved to get up, only to stumble to the floor, something was wrong with her legs. Something was very wrong- and for a moment, she realized that she forgot the horror of what was going on... The fact that she had horns sprouting out her head and wooly fur sprouting from her skin... her legs weren't... how they were supposed to be, and it seemed like they were very much still in the process of changing. Pain was shooting up her legs, up into her hips and spine, just from twitching what her toes were supposed to be... still, she found herself trying to crawl to the other girl, trying to figure out what was going on.

"Hey... w-what's your name?" She managed to ask, crawling closer.

It was February - the time when love filled the air and the cold wintry air still stuck to the cheeks of young children. The grass was a silent killer, that cut when your bare feet sprinted through. The sun rose earlier in the morning and went back to sleep a little later in the afternoon. But that wasn't the scenery twenty-two year old Kuran was used to, oh no, she was used to the endless summer heat and the sandy grains beneath her sneakers. She had lived her whole life in Australia so you would guess that she knew how the environment reacted to the change in months and seasons.

In February, Kuran would bundle up in a light sweater, scarf, jeans, and sneakers so she was comfortable as she explored the great outback. Her hands would be in the front pockets of her jeans and her sneakers would create the small crunching sound of dirt upon rubber. The outback would be silent, deadly, as if anything would pop out at you. But this never scared Kuran - which would be a big mistake later on.

Just two hours ago had she plunged her hand inside an open hole, hoping that she would uncover another injured squirrel. Instead though, she was met by a fiery pain that had traveled up her whole arm despite only being directing towards her hand. The young woman had jumped back almost a foot as she clutched her hand to her chest and began to hiss in pain.

She had been bitten. A snake was her guess, but who knows when you live in Australia, right? Hurriedly, she called the paramedics and requested fro an ambulance - in a matter of second did her hand swell and she was afraid of what it may look like in ten minutes - the desired time the would drive was over 600 seconds from then. Ten minutes to be more clear. Kuran had thrown her phone down in frustration at her stupidity, but without another word or curse she awaited fro the ambulance to arrive. Seventy minutes later she was admitted into the hospital where they Doctors had taken up over an hour to find the correct medicine that would save the young woman's hand.

Soon, she had been treated - her hand had stopped swelling and the skin hadn't exactly peeled off as much as it should have - and she was know peacefully resting. The Doctors said it was a miracle her hand was still intact. In slumber though, her ears had picked up voices.

"You have the bag?" The voice was quiet and filled with annoyance. The voice was ruff and most likely belonged to a guy.

"Yeah, we are all set."

"Okay on the count of three. One, Two, THREE!" A hiss escaped the male's voice as he plunged forward towards Kuran.

Kurna shot awake as a needle was plunged into her aching arm, her pulsing vein. Her whole body felt stiff and frozen as the unknown liquid set fire to every artery and vein inside her. She was about to scream, but a cloth was put over her mouth and she realized she wouldn't have been able to anyway. Her eyelids were already shut.

~

She shot awake again, only this time the room was dark and very quiet. Right when she woke up did her hands automatically begin to scratch at the skin covering her neck and cheeks. The rest of her body was covered with the clothes she had been wearing was she was admitted into the hospital. Well, wherever she was, it was a relief to know nobody had changed her as she slept. Speaking of sleep, what caused her to wake then sleep so suddenly again? Had she been drugged? Kuran pushed herself onto her hands and knees before wobbling up onto her feet - showing off her five foot six stature.

Something was off though, it felt as if she was unable to find correct balance on her two legs. Was that normal? In a hurried manner - the young woman began to tenderly prod the hand that was bit, but to her consolation and suspicion, the cobra bite had been healed fully and did not ache.

The only thing that sort of ached at the moment was the skin that covered all of Kuran's body! It felt as if her skin was falling off and regenerating multiple times. "What the hell!" she muttered to herself angrily as she began to scratch at the skin exposed on her hands. She finally decided to find out where she was, and yelling always did the trick, "Hey!" she licked her lips in concentration, "You perve! Where the hell have you taken me?" Hands gently extended outward to feel for any walls or doors around her. Everything was so dark though - it was hard to see her own hand in front of her face.

Loki had been bored to death in his room. He's been here a thousand times, and a thousand times he'd end up here again. The digital wall clock read some pm time, but he was too tied to tell the exact hour and minute. He had been pacing from one end of the room to the other, then to the door, then his bed, and back to the side he had begun to start again.

"What boredom." He mumbled to himself, rubbing the red marks on his wrists. The two silver shackles that bound him outside of the room were taken off, after he was promised to be given some bigger ones, since he'd been using the same pair for almost a year, his wrists needed room to grow. It also brought attention to the scientists that the microscopic scales and fluff that grew on his upper arms couldn't grow on his wrists, so they would need to look into the matter.
Just as the red began to fade away with the ache, he remembered the crow still owed him a story.

He's cute.

Loki shook his head and shed some glitter. He sat on the cushy white bed and laid back.
What I would do to see that innocent's face in complete pain and terror.
No!

Loki grabbed the white pillow and shoved it in his face. He should be ashamed. And he was.
He turned to lay on his stomach so his wings wouldn't get crushed. There was a pain in his mouth. A pain that felt almost relaxing, good and bad at the same time. It might have been from the lack of injections he received recently, the scientists had all been distracted by the newcomers. But he didn't mind waiting. Besides, he was tired. He was nearly fully asleep as he mumbled to himself,
"What's the worst that could happen?"

Shuan yawned as he put the book down back under his bed. " Well this is boreing. " He said as he sat up looking around his room, he sat up as he looked out the window in his room. " Well i have been cooped up in here to long. " He said as he walked to his door as he looked around looking for a guard for him to give him atleast a few minutes outside. " Hey! Anybody down ther?! "