2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adept
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Animanity is on its last legs. Years after years of fighting the Mangate - a strange type of being that can take almost any non-humanoid form - The Animites have been forced into a single, walled metropolis. At the edges, the poor and the criminal struggle, sandwiched between those more fortunate and their sworn enemies. And in the center lays the Anicademy. The students of the Anicademy each have a special power, awoken during their early years. They are encouraged to enroll, after which they train with a team they are assigned, learn how to use their powers, and how to fight the Mangate.

These teams live together, fight together, and sometimes die together. As part of their education they are sent outside the walls to gather materials, artefacts, and slay what Mangates they see. They are also sent as forces to keep the other citizenry in check, take down criminals, and generally help.

We start on the first day of education for another batch of students, and we follow a team of them who will - eventually - stare the end in the face, and fight to keep it from coming to pass.

Character Sheet
(Please keep general power levels in mind, and don't try to be overpowered)
(Please PM me your sheet for approval before posting)

------------------------
Anime Inspiration:

Name:
Appearance: (Pic, description and hybrid accepted)

Powers:
Equipment:

Personality:

History:

Anime Inspiration: Yugioh/Card Games

Name: Zothar Alvrenum
Appearance

Powers: Has the ability to summon creatures, weapons, and effects from the cards of various games.
Equipment: Deck Holster, Card Binder

Personality: Zothar is shy and nervous most of the time, and is never seen anywhere without his cards. He doesn't like conflict with friends, and has often been taken advantage of, but hates injustice and can throw himself to defense without a second thought. He sometimes talks to spirits of his cards, which will look like him mumbling a one-sided conversation.

History: Zothar did not come from a good home. His father was a drunkard and his mother would bring home any guy she wanted. Living on the poor end, Zothar fell through the cracks and eventually nearly broke. It wasn't until a friend at school introduced himself to cards that he found a light in life. In addition to his friend, he found that he could interact with the creatures in the cards. Since then the young man had collected all the cards he could - but it was one fateful day when his powers fully awakened.

He came home to find both parents dead, a debt-collection thug had gotten a little to zealous. Thinking that selling a kid would help make up for the loss in revenue, he came after Zothar. The young man screamed and suddenly, one of his favorite creatures appeared and blew the man away. Scared now for his life, and of himself, he ran to find his friend - whose parents took him in.

Four years later, after many odd jobs getting money for more cards, the academy scouted him out after a rather messy breakup of a bank heist. At his friend's urging, the now eighteen-year old accepted, ready to learn how to control these powers he had, and how to help more people.

Anime Inspiration: Mob Psycho 100 / OPM Espers / Saiki Kusuo

Name: Neil Blues

Neil_Aldini.jpg

Powers: As an Esper, Neil can move things around with his mind, create energy barriers around himself, ‘see’ his surroundings using psychic powers and temporarily heighten his physical capabilities by having psionic energy surge through his body.
Equipment: None notable

Personality: The best word that could describe Neil is ‘lazy’. He doesn’t like to show much emotions and is rather indifferent when it comes to moral conflict, preferring to go the logical way. When warming up to someone, however, Neil can show immense loyalty and a sarcastic, yet humorous side. When fighting, he is highly calculating and cool-headed but can sometime be a bit cocky or overconfident.

History: While Neil doesn’t come from a rich family, he had been spoiled rotten as a kid. Being an only child definitely didn’t help in this regard. That, along with his newly developing powers, allowed him to do anything he wanted without him needing to move or really strain himself. But of course, that didn’t mean that couldn’t do anything without his powers. In fact, he was quite talented in school. Not the highest grades due to a lack of studying but he still somehow managed to be near the top.

As time went on, his powers developed along with him, bringing to his eyes just how much he could do if properly trained with them. It was tempting… but the motivation wasn’t quite there yet. Why lose time in trying to become a hero of the people when others could do it? With that in mind, Neil was about ready to simply continue his rather uneventful life.

Motivation, however, could come in numerous forms; more often than not, negative forms. One day, Neil’s father was killed by an unforeseen Mangate attack, an event which no one was prepared for. That’s when realization had hit Neil; if he’d been stronger, if he’d actually been there for his father, he could’ve possibly done something to help. Part of him didn’t want to go risk his life but for once, his logical side told him that the best course of action would be to join the Anicademy. Doesn’t stop him from being lazy but he’d at least do something productive for once.

Name: Arasai Yuki
Magical Girl Name (Optional): Sorcerous Princess Yukihime

sample_43fa3ae09f7a2177d97d17218f3421814d93ce18.jpg

4ed7d799574f48201a2c944aa7f97fb816c1cfbc.png

Wish: "I want to be someone special, someone whose name everyone knows, who will be remembered forever!"

Bio: Yuki led a humdrum life. It seemed like everyone around her was a mediocrity. Her dad was an editor at an academic publishing house, her mom a book designer for the same. They provided well, kept a nice home, took the kids for holidays at the usual places. Her brother was dumb as a brick, a goofball, sweet and caring at times but mostly an annoyance. He'd just graduated high school, failed to get into college, and was preparing to enlist in the self-defence forces for lack of any better direction.

She herself... well, if she were honest she was pretty boring too. She was slim and pretty enough to not be anxious about male attention, but neither was she really beautiful or sexy enough to be of note. She attracted random dopey boys but not the hunks. She hung out with girls who were just as dull and vapid as she felt herself to be. She didn't have a particularly interesting hobby, or talent. She got average grades, partly because she was just so bored with class. Everything was just... dull, and grey, and exactly the same every single day.

If everybody around her died the world would just keep going. Nobody would miss them. There'd be nothing to miss. And they seemed perfectly fine with that.

But Yuki wasn't. For all that she kept a placid, well-behaved exterior, she yearned for... something. Something bigger, better, brighter. A place in the world, that would be all hers, unique, irreplaceable. That yearning became an ache, a gnawing hunger.

And then she met... it.

Personality: Yuki comes across as somewhat distant and standoffish, even cynical. She assumes that most people she meets aren't worth investing too much time or energy in, because they're pretty much the same as everybody else. When she comes across someone special though, she seems to come alive, becoming vivacious and solicitous in proportion to how interesting that person is. In magical girl form, she's as vibrant and confident as she is normally cold and insecure - perhaps to the point of overconfidence, bordering on arrogance.

Magical Weapon: Frost Brand - This arming sword is wreathed with clear, blue dancing cold flames when drawn. These flames chill the target of its strikes, making armour brittle with cold, extinguishing fires, and freezing flesh.

Magical Powers: Dance of the snow - Yuki can control the weather in a limited area around her, creating a zone of freezing temperatures, howling winds and snow. She can vary this effect from the lightest flurry to a full-on blizzard. She is able to lift herself with the winds, although she can't manoeuvre very finely. At a pinch she can even create a barrier of ice to protect herself, but this requires a lot of effort and is quite draining. This power extends to finer control of cold in general, but that level of finesse is beyond Yuki at the moment.

Meguca grace - Part of being a magical girl is not just saving the world but doing it with style. When transformed, Yuki moves with a grace, precision and beauty that puts Olympic figure skaters to shame. She is physically enhanced in other ways as well, but the most visible change is in her coordination.

@Tiguidi @Ariel

Welcome! Should we wait a while longer, or start sooner?

Let's get started and then see if anyone would like to join after.

I don't mind starting with us three!

@Ariel @Tiguidi

Sorry it's not awesome, but the best I could do.

We'll all end up in the same area as a team :)

Yo, yo, so I'd like to sign up for this, RP'd on a few other websites for several years now, buuuuuuuuuuut it seems I don't know how to send a private message. Just barely started this account actually, so I'm still figuring out the site and whatnot. Am I supposed to have made a certain number of posts prior to being able to PM? I think IGN did that back in the day.

Yo, yo, so I'd like to sign up for this, RP'd on a few other websites for several years now, buuuuuuuuuuut it seems I don't know how to send a private message. Just barely started this account actually, so I'm still figuring out the site and whatnot. Am I supposed to have made a certain number of posts prior to being able to PM? I think IGN did that back in the day.
I think that may have been how it was when I started? I don't remember

In any case, unless you figure it out go ahead and drop your character here for me to look it over. I can retcon stuff to be 3 teammates

Anime Inspiration: Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet/Various Mecha anime

Name: Manchester “Manny” Hudson

Appearance: Manny is 6 foot 4 inches., though despite his stature he's fairly scrawny. Caucasian, with dark brown, perpetually-messy, neck-length hair. His eyes shine a bright blue. Whenever he’s allowed, he wears a baseball cap, bandana around his neck, an outdated, light-gray jean jacket, with a matching pair of jeans. Almost always carries a small 'lunch-box' with him containing “Ghost”.

Powers: Mildly competent at piloting a Mecha. Basic hand-to-hand skills (he can DO both those things, but he also kinda sucks at both of them).

Equipment: Carries a metal “Lunchbox” with him everywhere, which in reality is his Mecha’s on-board AI, code-name “Ghost”. Due to an implant in Manny’s brain, Ghost is able to speak to him mentally. Manny can only reply vocally however, so whenever Manny replies, it appears to the onlooker that he is insane, and is talking to his lunchbox. Ghost is vastly intelligent, with access to several archives regarding combat, and is honestly more than a little sassy, but it does its best to look out for Manny.

When in need of protection, as Manny’s mecha, Specter-1586, is regrettably in ruins, Ghost is able to form around Manny’s arm as a power-gauntlet of sorts, offering enhanced strength and the capability to fire off a mild non-lethal concussive blast. As the story progresses, Manny may eventually come across other missing Mech pieces and gain more abilities, such as flight, or other enhanced limbs, eventually rebuilding the mecha itself.

Personality: While his other classmates practiced their piloting skills, he took naps and played video games. Generally pretty level-headed, doesn’t seem to go through many emotional extremes. If he’s angry/sad/upset, he barely shows it in his face. He’s not a very honest person, willing to use Ghost to cheat on tests and the like, but not a bad person per say. Just too lazy to put in much effort school-wise. Upon being lost on earth however, he does have a bit of a longing to return to the station. He misses his family.

History: Manny grew up on a space station orbiting Neptune, called "The Trident". Frequent meteor showers and other space debris threatened the station’s safety. Infrequently, alien life threatened the station as well. As such, the youth on the station are trained to fight and defend threats to the station using Mechas. Manny, among those youth, was the bottom of his class. His parents, both retired from long careers in the militia, frequently tried to get him to put more effort into training, but saw very little success.

It wasn’t until an invasion from an unknown alien threat called everyone, students, veterans, and current military personnel to fight and defend the station that Manny began to care. Too late. It was a bloodbath. People were dying all around him, and he was too unskilled to offer any meaningful help. Spectre-1586 was damaged and thrown off course, with no hope of changing direction. Ghost put Manny into cryo-sleep, and then waited for someone to retrieve them. Nobody came.

Eventually he and Ghost drifted their way over to earth, crashing down near school grounds like a meteor. The pieces of Spectre-1586 scattered, and Manny only surviving due to Ghost creating an energy shield around him prior to their landing. A teacher from the school happened upon the crash site, and upon hearing of Manny’s situation, invited him to attend the Anicademy. Manny agreed with the hope that he could one day rebuild Spectre-1586, and make his way back to The Trident. Someone has to be alive there.

@Ariel

You still in? I think we need you to post

Um, sure? Are we supposed to go by turns or something? If so I'm sorry, I didn't realise.

While it wasn't explicitly said, I think it would be better this way to make sure someone doesn't miss too much or in case they want to act/react upon a previous post. Though I guess smaller posts that don't contribute much to the action can be posted at anytime?

I didn't mean it in that "We're doing turns." Like, we can post in whatever order. But generally I ask for one post per GM post at least.

And I think I had a misconception and misremembered that you hadn't introduced her yet. That or I wanted a reaction. Anyway. Point is, I can get us moving forward now I think?

Okay, just that your GM post reacted to Yuki's intro, so that threw me off. No harm done. But yeah, let's get this show on the road.

Indeed. I think part of me had wondered what her reaction was to Blizzard Warrior, but I honestly don't remember.

Anyway! Show should be on the road now :D

Hey, so I had a question for all of y'all. What other ideas did you consider when designing your characters?

I had really thought about doing some sort of Pokemon-based character, but I couldn't think of an effective way to work that in-universe. Same with Attack on Titan.

I considered for a moment doing someone based off of Bobo bo-bobobo, but I don't think someone so whacky would've really fit in-universe.

Something like Sword Art Online or other RPG based ones like Shield-Hero or Overlord were neat ideas at first, but I felt like I couldn't do that an interesting/unique way (genuinely thought about having someone who just kinda reverses the whole I-got-pulled-into-a-game trope and having a game character pulled into the 'real world').

I decided on Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet because, though I haven't watched a WHOLE ton of mecha anime, I really liked that one and a few others like Aldnoah.Zero.

Anyway, I was just curious about thought processes that went into everybody's choices.

Oooh, nice selection!

My first thought was to make an Esper but I had a few other ideas like a JoJo stand user or a Naruto shinobi (probably with the sharingan 'cause I'm a typical weeb). Can't really develop any more than that since, as I've said, Neil's pretty much the first idea I had for this.

To be perfectly honest I just had the card Character idea and ran with something where it worked xD