And You Saved Me

As her breathing began to calm, Sofia just shook her head, "n-no..." Her stomach was still churning at the thought of food and she doubted that she would be able to stomach anything for a little while. She was rather unsettled about being here and more than anything just craved normalcy. She thought that Travis would keep her safe but it was clear now that sometimes unexpected people could become her worst enemy.

For a long time Sofia just laid on the mattress, staring up at the ceiling. She heard the doorbell ring when the pizza came and a few minutes later Travis came into the room with a plate with a slice of pepperoni pizza on it. Sofia's stomach churned and she shook her head, "I... I sorry... I c-can't... I sick, I feel awful."

He nodded and set a glass down with two tablets next to it
".>This should settle your stomach but you should sleep in..."
He smiled at her as he went into the living room, the low noise of the tv flowed into her room, but she stayed in bed, still scared and sick, but she popped the tablets in the water as they fizzed, and she drank.

But she soon fell asleep, door still open as she was too tired to move. And Travis moved in, walking to her bed. But instead of doing what she thought, he tucked her in more, handed her more pillows and a better blanket than the rag she had there, before walking out of her room and closing the door, heading to his own to sleep for the night.

Sofia was accustomed to waking up very early in the morning. Back in Argentina her brother and her always worked the early morning shift in town. Sofia worked at a dress shop sewing hems while her brother worked in construction. So when the clock flashed five, Sofia slowly rose and padded downstairs. She figured that Travis would not be up for awhile, at least until the sun rose, so she made quick work of a small breakfast she could stomach. It looked like he had brought some food from his parent's place because there was some orange juice and a loaf of bread in the fridge. Sofia made herself a piece of toast and sat on the couch as she forced herself to take a few small bites.

As she surveyed the room, she saw a few remnants of the family. Though it was the guest house, there was a family photo from a few years ago over the mantle. All the faces, including Matthew, smiled back at her, and Sofia suddenly felt sick to her stomach again. Had she ruined this wonderful family?

he finally joined her to the kitchen and smiled, but looked at the pictures and the ones with Matthew, he faced down his face hiding form her now. he then sat beside her to talk
"...Still fretting about tearing this family, running it to the ground...Well..you're not...We didn't want you to think that when we paid for you to come here form Argentina.... wasn't it your dream to be free....Well..it's all Matt's fault...please stop beating yourself up Sofia.."

He looekd down at her makeshift meal and smield lightly, glad to knwo she did have an appetite and found something to eat, the pizza was in the fridge too
"I'll be gteeting some more groceries, so you can stay here if you want, get used to the new place, for real too.

It was amzing how Travis could read her thoughts so easily and Sofia managed a slight smile. The toast was not sitting the best in her stomach but she tried to hold it down, knowing she had to maintain her strength.

"Can... can I come?" The idea of staying here all by herself was a little unsettling, especially if Matthew was still angry and upset.
Travis seemed a little startled by the request by obliged, stating that he'd shower quickly and she could get ready too. By nine that morning they were set to go to the store and Sofia stared out into the passing suburban city as Travis drove down a stretch of road. When she hopped from the SUV, she rounded the car and couldn't help but loop her arm through Travis's, though loosely. She felt oddly self conscious in the sea of people, and though she knew it was unlikely, she didn't want to run into Matthew.

He tucked his arm closer to hold her there as they walked, smiling a bit to try to relax her, Matthew wouldn't dare come by, he knew better. But still he was glad she was cautious..even if a little too much so. Even so, they walked inside the mini mart to grab groceries for the month.

Cereals, fruits, veggies, meats and many other things, they riuddled the store to find things they would enjoy, letting Sofia pick stuff out too. She had a bunch of avocados that Travis smiled at, he enjoyed that food. he thought he would treat Sofia to a more her style of food as he grabbed peppers brisket and tortillas, smiling at her all the way until they got to the checkout
"is that all, or do you need anything more particular?"

Sofia was not used to the sweet attention that Travis gave her or the fact that she could pick out virtually whatever she wanted for food. She imagined that their family was rather wealthy, and by the time that they had made it to the check out line they probably had a hundred and fifty dollars worth of food inside of their cart. Sofia pointed to a basket of fresh strawberries and Travis smiled, putting those in the cart, too.

All the while Sofia remained latched onto her companion's arm, fearful of letting go and slowly forming an attachment. Travis was wonderfully tall and powerfully rigid; his muscles were defined and Sofia felt them flex against her own arm when they moved. He also smelled wonderful, an enticing aroma of spice and woods.

"Thank you," she whispered softly as they began to load items onto the belt.

He looked down at her as she thanked him and smiled more
"..No need to thank me..I am here for you for whatever you need Sofia...I'm honored to help you out after everything you've been through.."
he bought her a sprite to further help ease her stomach as they walked back to the car, $200 worth of groceries loaded in the back of their van as they returned home.

When they got there he nudged her off
"..Go rest up Sofia I'll put everything away."
He grinned as she did so, settling on the couch and drinking her sprite, slowly feeling better and knowing that Travis really did mean well, her guard lowered, a sense of trust forming for him.

I was thinking Fajitas for dinner..is that okay or still a little sick Sofia?"
he asked as he came back to the living room, a coke bottle in hand as he guzzled it down

"I... I can try and help make food," she murmured, standing from the couch and passing into the kitchen after him. She carried her bottle of soda with her, feeling her stomach slowly begin to settle. They decided that fajitas would be nice for dinner and they would make some extras to have tomorrow.

As Sofia began to cook up some of the chicken they had bought in a pan, she turned to Travis and murmured, "I... I sorry that you leave home, come with me. That not what meant to happen. If have it my way, I just go home and leave you all in peace. Matthew... he... he meant well, I suppose. Just... a little hormonal." At least that was what she tried to tell herself to make her feel better.

He shook his head as he helped her cook
"There is no excuse for what he tried to do, don't feel sorry for him..he's garbage...I am sick for calling him my brother..Besides you're not the first he tried to take control of..."

The food got finished as he set the beef and chicken on the table between them, slowly making his meals of extra guacamole fajitas of mixed beef and chicken and looked over at her, his soft blue eyes peer into her green ones with a grin
"How's the food?"

"I not know, I have not tried it yet!" she laughed shyly. She scooped a much smaller meal for herself, putting some vegetables, cheese and chicken in her fajita before wrapping it up. Before her mother had passed away this was one of her favourite things to make. Sofia had learned much of her cooking skills from her mother and eating the food brought back a wave of memories.

After taking a few bites, Sofia smiled softly to herself. "You know, you and Matthew... you very different. In good way, of course." Her first impression that they were like night and day was certainly very accurate. Where Matt was rough and cruel, his brother was kind and gentle. As they spent more time together Sofia grew more relaxed and comfortable, trusting Travis enough that he would not hurt her.

He looked down at his food with a soft curve of his lips up, looking at her as the smile grew
"I appreciate that Sofia, I really do, I'm just sorry you;re first impression of our family was of that...."
And as they ate, the phone rang as he pulled it out of his pocket
"..Ahh it's dad..give me a second.."

he excused himself form the table as he took this call, his father making sure that Sofia was alright and that Matthew didn't follow them home. Travis consoled his father, letting him know she was safe and fed and that she was healthy. As they talked Sofia was left to finish her meal then watch TV. The first program that was on was Doctor Who as Travis left it on BBC the night before.

Sofia was not used to American television, or even really television at her. Before her mother had died she was always saving up money to go to the cinema with her children, but they had never been able to acquire enough extra funds to do so. Sofia watched it, and was a little intrigued by the images on the scene. However, she was rather preoccupied with the man sitting at her side. He smelled wonderful, and Sofia internally hit herself for thinking such things. This man's brother had ripped her clothing off in an attempt to rape her, and she was attracted to him? Not that it was Travis's fault what had happened, but she couldn't be too careful...

He peered over to Sofia and smiled as they sat together and enjoyed the show. He was happy now that she was more relaxed around him and not fearful as much as she was at the beginning. He wanted her to know not all men were like his brother, bu t something chased his head. She was attractive, in a foreign exotic way. She was lovely and her voice entrancing. Her figure was cute, curvy and sexy. But he didn't do anything to her. He didn't want to be the man his brother was.

Somewhere between the end of a show and a commerical, Sofia felt her eyes closing. Before she knew it she was beginning to drift off. Sofia barely registered what was happening but she could faintly feel Travis lift her from the couch and carry her into one of the bedrooms. The young woman was surprised that she wasn't afraid of him though; if it were Matthew, she would surely be kicking and screaming right now. But Travis was surely much different than his brother, and Sofia felt very comfortable around him.

When she awoke the next morning, she had managed to sleep in. Sofia pulled on a fresh t-shirt and pair of pants before venturing downstairs. Her cheeks were flushed with a faint bit of colour as she entered the kitchen, where Travis was making food, "I... I sorry I sleep in."

He smiled as he set pancakes on the table, syrup and butted joining the dish as he set a plate for her, kissing her forehead when she took a seat
"It's quite alright, it's a dead day so it's good to relax, besides, I don't expect you to do anything..you're family, not a maid..."

He joined her across the table as he himself at his breakfast, his orange juice making his slender lips shine.

Sofia was surprised that his lips against her skin caused a burning sensation - a good one, at that. A faint blush spread across her cheeks and Sofia immediately dug into her breakfast, trying to hide her reaction. She imagined that Travis had noticed though because he just laughed softly and got himself his own plate of food.

"I have a question," she murmured after she had taken a few bites of the breakfast.
Travis nodded his head.
"Why... why your family save me?" Sofia asked softly, "I am just simple girl, in bad world. My brother... he never give me proper answers for it. He just sent me away."

He looked down
"..Your brother wanted what was best for you to get out of that place. He asked us to get you...But he wanted you to come here quickly. But we couldn't let him go without something, giving his sister away. It was my idea to buy you out, give him something to live with, work with, something for his troubles as he stayed back. So it was the love of your brother to come her..but it was in vain when Matthe-"
He stopped short and cleared his throat
"..nevermind, but you're safe now..."

Sofia rested her elbows on the table and put her face in between her palms. So Juan had been paid to send her here? She knew that he had good intentions though when he had sent her here, and was not trying to sell her away to some creep in the States. She felt so indebted to her brother and this family for potentially saving her life. Her mother had been brutally murdered by one of the Argentine mobsters in the area. Women were especially prone to violence in Argentina's poorest areas.

"Argentina," she murmured faintly, "it nice place, but not good for single woman. I work with my brother everyday, but he always worried about me. I felt bad. I appreciate what you all do for me. Perhaps one day he come here, too. He better at English than I, and much more friendly! I love him dearly, he be sad to know what happened with Matthew."

He shook his head
"He wont know..Matthew is a pig but no need to bring it up..besides I'll protect you from him..."
He smiled warmly at Sofia, a smile that could break any barriers and it was real, warm and sweet as his upper teeth shown in the grin. He finished his meal and picked her plate up
"You can sleep in again if you'd like, it's a boring day today.