And So It Was Written(Saint Guillotine and Schnee Corp Lawyer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rayne blinked at the question, before her lips quirked and she howled in laughter, her head thrown back and her laugh... Surprisingly as un-vampire as any you might imagine. It was the full blown belly laugh of amusement given life, till she shook her head and spoke fondly.

"Oh, lil' darling. Its a big world out there and while the Red, White, Black or whatever color of the week they wanna be think they hold a monopoly? They're dead wrong. That said! I formally invite you both into my home. I ask only that you both keep to the rules of hospitality as my guests and if you so wish to leave, to do so in peace. Now c'mon."

She smiled and turned her back, perfectly at ease as she spoke.

"I got some chili from earlier I can heat up and maybe y'all can tell me how in the hell you got ol' Puff the Magic Blowhard to come after you both."

She headed for the ranch house and Samson followed, stubby tail wagging and altogether, both making the oddest looking picture.

Joren snarled.

"I don't trust vampires. We'll take our chances elsewhere."

A distance away, Rayne stopped and called out.

"Thats your choice boy. What about you darling? Adverse to breaking bread with someone like me?"

The choice was hers.... Either the harsh safety of the White Council and all she was familiar.... Or the unknown as Rayne wordlessly now extended her hand.

Only when Rayne had turned to start walking away did Isabelle finally start to lower her bat. She chewed her lip as she glanced between Joren and the direction Rayne had left, before she asked with as much seriousness as she could muster.

"Well. Her offer is chili and not walking back into the wilderness and away from the protection of the big scary hellhound. Any counter offer?"

"You'll be breaking arrest if you take so much as a step towards that thing."

Joren warned.

Rayne merely snorted in an unladylike fashion and turned to continue as she called over her shoulder.

"I got crackers and homemade bread too!"

And in her house she went. Samson would trot onto the porch, turn a few circles and lay down. Once more on watch for the strange place Isabelle found herself in.

She huffed and let the bat drop, the metal hitting the dusty ground with a quiet thump as she leaned on the handle. "Look. You don't trust vampires. Which is completely understandable given recent events, but here's the thing; this is a vampire who apparently also doesn't like vampires. specifically the ones that want you dead, and me for... well... I don't know, but if its not dead then..." she just trailed off quietly as a quiet shudder arched through her spine at whatever possibilities were left there.

"...p-plus, we don't actually have any sort of clue where we are right now, unless you've forgotten how the Nevernever works. So if my options are to wander alone with you out in the desert when you couldn't even stop them in a warded house and couldn't even pr-" she caught herself before she finished, and took a deep breath before she glared at Joren.

"Do you have any actual good reasons not to go with the only possible friendly face in likely a hundred miles, where if nothing else you could send for help without needing to worry about the shadow of red court doom killing you and taking me to who-fucking-knows where?

Joren gritted his teeth, giving Isabelle a death glare beyond all recorded glares.

But finally, he raised his axe and spoke quietly.

"You so much as give me a reason and I will carry out the sentence that I see fit. Is. That. Clear?"

Joren gritted his teeth, giving Isabelle a death glare beyond all recorded glares.

But finally, he raised his axe and spoke quietly.

"You so much as give me a reason and I will carry out the sentence that I see fit. Is. That. Clear?"
she raised both hands, and if it made Joren feel any better the girl really was intimidated by the glare given he was still a trained soldier to her few years of apprenticeship. granted the gesture was somewhat marred by the metal bat in her hand that she was not letting go of probably forever at this point but still. "c-crystal! completely!" she said with a nervous grin. It faded as she took a deep breath and glanced at the ranch before she started towards its.

"...Besides. I'd rather that happen than end up with the red court anyways."

The inside of the Ranch House was in contrast, warm and inviting. A fire was well underway in a fireplace, providing a contrast as Rayne hummed and stirred something that smelled wonderful. Spices and bacon and tomato, all mingled and enhanced by whatever else she had added to it.

Oil lamps hanging provided the rest of the illumination, giving a rustic feel to the wooden, hand carved furniture. But most eye catching of all were the knick-knacks and pictures.

Native American tribal masks, of stylized animals, two crossed swords of strange design.... And the pictures.

So many pictures, from different eras if you looked closely. The most modern was Rayne posing with a ten year old at a county fair. The oldest was in sepia, Rayne dressed as a Texas Ranger, smiling as she stood next to someone very, very familiar to Isabelle in particular.

Joren missed it, spending his time looking at Rayne in suspicion.

What does Isabelle do?

The inside of the Ranch House was in contrast, warm and inviting. A fire was well underway in a fireplace, providing a contrast as Rayne hummed and stirred something that smelled wonderful. Spices and bacon and tomato, all mingled and enhanced by whatever else she had added to it.

Oil lamps hanging provided the rest of the illumination, giving a rustic feel to the wooden, hand carved furniture. But most eye catching of all were the knick-knacks and pictures.

Native American tribal masks, of stylized animals, two crossed swords of strange design.... And the pictures.

So many pictures, from different eras if you looked closely. The most modern was Rayne posing with a ten year old at a county fair. The oldest was in sepia, Rayne dressed as a Texas Ranger, smiling as she stood next to someone very, very familiar to Isabelle in particular.

Joren missed it, spending his time looking at Rayne in suspicion.

What does Isabelle do?
Isabelle aaalmost didn't even notice the picture, because who looks at the decor when you're hungry and something smells so good. She blinked and did a double take on her bee line towards the kitchen, eyes narrowing slightly as she almost tripped over her own feet.

Wait....

"You knew the Mentor's granddad?!"

From her place by the fire, Rayne laughed aloud.

"Try the Mentor himself! He was just starting his travels at the time. A wizard fresh and starting out, on the journey that gave him his title. Why, you know him?"

"...What?! But he'd have to be, like... well..."

Ok so she was still getting used to this whole 'wizards lived for hundreds of years' thing >_>

"...I'm his apprentice. Or... was anyways. I'm not sure if that still applies since he just kind of disappeared and left me footing the bill for his apparently White Court trial." she said flatly, jerking her thumb towards the warden in the room

There was silence and then Rayne suddenly rose up, all quiet and smooth as she turned around and looked at Joren.

As though it was answering something, she then turned to look at her, her expression somewhat somber as she strode over to Isabelle, one hand moving to grab her arm gently and move her away from Joren, a fact that didn't sit well with him as he rose up.

"That's MY prisoner-"

Rayne snapped her fingers and in a flash of fire, Samson appeared and growled.

Rayne paid him no further mind as in a more private area away from Joren's earshot, she turned to Isabelle and spoke.

"....You're his student? And he just left you out of the blue? Listen to me very carefully. The Mentor I knew was a good man and a great wizard. Do you know why? It wasn't because he was powerful or even because of how kind he was. It was because he had a gift that many wizards in that White Council of yours don't have, that keeps certain doors closed to them forever because of it. He was humble and he listened. There wasn't a culture from the Tribes to the Savanna who didn't acknowledge him as their own because of it. Do you think he got the name Mentor on looks alone? No. He was a good man."

She glanced down and said quietly.

"He was my friend. If he's left you, all alone in something like this? It means one of two things. One, he really is a traitor and left you behind in order to keep going. Or...."

Her voice trailed off as she frowned and spoke.

"Whatever danger you might be in now, is immensely preferred over anything he currently embroiled himself into. Stupid man. Stupid, self-sacrificing fool."

She paced back and forth suddenly, before looking at Isabelle as she asked.

"Little darling, how old are you? How long have you been his apprentice?"

There was silence and then Rayne suddenly rose up, all quiet and smooth as she turned around and looked at Joren.

As though it was answering something, she then turned to look at her, her expression somewhat somber as she strode over to Isabelle, one hand moving to grab her arm gently and move her away from Joren, a fact that didn't sit well with him as he rose up.

"That's MY prisoner-"

Rayne snapped her fingers and in a flash of fire, Samson appeared and growled.

Rayne paid him no further mind as in a more private area away from Joren's earshot, she turned to Isabelle and spoke.

"....You're his student? And he just left you out of the blue? Listen to me very carefully. The Mentor I knew was a good man and a great wizard. Do you know why? It wasn't because he was powerful or even because of how kind he was. It was because he had a gift that many wizards in that White Council of yours don't have, that keeps certain doors closed to them forever because of it. He was humble and he listened. There wasn't a culture from the Tribes to the Savanna who didn't acknowledge him as their own because of it. Do you think he got the name Mentor on looks alone? No. He was a good man."

She glanced down and said quietly.

"He was my friend. If he's left you, all alone in something like this? It means one of two things. One, he really is a traitor and left you behind in order to keep going. Or...."

Her voice trailed off as she frowned and spoke.

"Whatever danger you might be in now, is immensely preferred over anything he currently embroiled himself into. Stupid man. Stupid, self-sacrificing fool."

She paced back and forth suddenly, before looking at Isabelle as she asked.

"Little darling, how old are you? How long have you been his apprentice?"
"Oh, uhm, ok, uhm, I swear I'm not running!" she called back to Joren as she was pulled off, slightly exasperated but now that the adrenaline high was wearing off far too tired physically and mentally to be willing to tell pretty much anyone no, doubly so for the very chill and kind so far vampire with the giant dog that had no chill.

She listened quietly as Rayne spoke, gaze still tired but thoughtful as she listened before she... slowly nodded, a small smile actually on her face. "Then its definitely the second. Though I wish he would have just told me" she added darkly under her breath before she frowned slightly as she thought.

"Uhh.. not that long. Especially not in wizard years since you just reminded me about that. I'm only eighteen, and my powers came in when I was 15, soo... three years"

"Oh, uhm, ok, uhm, I swear I'm not running!" she called back to Joren as she was pulled off, slightly exasperated but now that the adrenaline high was wearing off far too tired physically and mentally to be willing to tell pretty much anyone no, doubly so for the very chill and kind so far vampire with the giant dog that had no chill.

She listened quietly as Rayne spoke, gaze still tired but thoughtful as she listened before she... slowly nodded, a small smile actually on her face. "Then its definitely the second. Though I wish he would have just told me" she added darkly under her breath before she frowned slightly as she thought.

"Uhh.. not that long. Especially not in wizard years since you just reminded me about that. I'm only eighteen, and my powers came in when I was 15, soo... three years"
She nodded slowly, before speaking.

"Alright...So still learning your magic. Well then. You're going to need some help. So here's whats going to happen."

She smiled and stroked a bang from Isabelles eyes.

"One, you're going to sit down and relax with a bowl of chili and after, sleep. In the morning, we'll discuss some things and I'll introduce you to my apprentice. He should be back by then, I sent him off three days ago to check out a case. Alright? Also, we're going to have to ditch Mr. Dirty Harry back there- If we're going to clear his name and by extension your own, you'll have to become a fugitive for a while. But it'll be something of an experience to you, if you just entered this world of ours."

She grinned and looked misty eyed for a moment.

"Its scary and massive....But I wouldn't leave it for the world. So! Lets get you both fed and watered, till you holler no more."

And leading her back, she played the gracious hostess. Feeding both as much as they liked and giving them access to personal guest rooms. Clean clothing and hot water.... Followed by a soft bed.

Life's little luxuries.

But as she dreamed that night, it would be to the following. A massive desert landscape...Cracked and dried as though by drought as overhead, clouds rumbled in the skies, covering and heavy with a promise of rain. Lightning crackled and the laughter of a coyote echoed through the overall view.

CgVcI.png

This time, it was only as big to the point it could look her in the eye as with the grin of a car salesman, he spoke.

"Well then my dear! You made it to the little Damphirs ranch just fine! I was so worried, I fairly gave myself the chills! Brrrr!"

He shuddered in a sight to behold before cackling again.

"Perhaps at this point, you can guess my name? I was so offended when you thought I was a Fox, but....Experience. You'll grow into it. I know you will."

She nodded slowly, before speaking.

"Alright...So still learning your magic. Well then. You're going to need some help. So here's whats going to happen."

She smiled and stroked a bang from Isabelles eyes.

"One, you're going to sit down and relax with a bowl of chili and after, sleep. In the morning, we'll discuss some things and I'll introduce you to my apprentice. He should be back by then, I sent him off three days ago to check out a case. Alright? Also, we're going to have to ditch Mr. Dirty Harry back there- If we're going to clear his name and by extension your own, you'll have to become a fugitive for a while. But it'll be something of an experience to you, if you just entered this world of ours."

She grinned and looked misty eyed for a moment.

"Its scary and massive....But I wouldn't leave it for the world. So! Lets get you both fed and watered, till you holler no more."
She seemed to think about that, genuinely considering the other option... before she slowly nodded. "ok. But we're not hurting him. I want to figure out whats going on as much as he does, and he really was just doing his job. ok?"
And leading her back, she played the gracious hostess. Feeding both as much as they liked and giving them access to personal guest rooms. Clean clothing and hot water.... Followed by a soft bed.

Life's little luxuries.

But as she dreamed that night, it would be to the following. A massive desert landscape...Cracked and dried as though by drought as overhead, clouds rumbled in the skies, covering and heavy with a promise of rain. Lightning crackled and the laughter of a coyote echoed through the overall view.

CgVcI.png

This time, it was only as big to the point it could look her in the eye as with the grin of a car salesman, he spoke.

"Well then my dear! You made it to the little Damphirs ranch just fine! I was so worried, I fairly gave myself the chills! Brrrr!"

He shuddered in a sight to behold before cackling again.

"Perhaps at this point, you can guess my name? I was so offended when you thought I was a Fox, but....Experience. You'll grow into it. I know you will."
The bed was heaven. The floor would have been welcomed as an old friend with how tired she felt, so an actual soft bed was like getting a hug from an angel, one that was the patron saint of comfort.

So of course her dreams had to get weird again =w=.

Dream Isabella felt at least a bit more confident in herself than waking Isabella, so even the admittedly still creepy as hell looking Coyote got a flat look at his initial antics as she crossed her arms and shivered in the night air herself. "Sorry I was a bit frazzled from, you know, being a prisoner of war. What the heck are you?"

"......"
He grinned, his eyes lighting up with mirrored glee as he threw his head back and laughed... Exactly like a coyote yips.

"See the mighty trees, the strong bones of my body!"

"The rustling of the leaves is my laughter!"

"The swaying grass is the hair on my back!"

"The rocks and stones, powerful teeth of mine!"

"My blood, the water coursing through the land!"

"My ever watching eyes, the sun..."

"And the moon!"

He paused to gauge the effect this had as he grinned wider.

"I am Coyote. Such a pleasure to see you again!"

And then something sinister seemed to flicker through his eyes as he spoke.

"Apprentice to my enemy."

"Apprentice to my enemy."
Oh.

All that meager confidence dream isabella had over waking Isabella?

Riiiiiight out the window as the young wizard blanched and slowly took a step back.

"...Apart from that b-being a lot of cryptic nonsense and not the answer to my question-' she halfheartedly snarked as she felt in a vain hope for one of her wands in her belt loop "-then I think my followup question has to be why you helped me?"

Oh.

All that meager confidence dream isabella had over waking Isabella?

Riiiiiight out the window as the young wizard blanched and slowly took a step back.

"...Apart from that b-being a lot of cryptic nonsense and not the answer to my question-' she halfheartedly snarked as she felt in a vain hope for one of her wands in her belt loop "-then I think my followup question has to be why you helped me?"
".....Pfft, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Coyote flopped over, yipping with utter and complete amusement as he giggled.

"The look on your face! Hahahaha! Priceless! You're quite a believer in first impressions my dear. That provides a lot of ammunition for someone like me and you can't put a price on that."

He flipped back to his feet and grinned.

"Now then! Pay very close attention...Oh."

Almost as an afterthought, he added casually.

"Try to land safely."

And the ground opened up beneath her, sending Isabelle falling like the provincial Alice, deep into Wonderland as she fell...And landed on her back with a sudden thud.

And in a very familiar looking area.

Sure, the equipment looked more expensive and arcane and it was certainly cleaner in parts. But overall, there was no mistaking it. It was a magical workshop, a laboratory of great power and expense.

Where her teacher was currently dumping files all upon the floor in the center. Scowling as he did so, rummaging for everything he could. He more or less still dressed much the same he did as in the picture with Rayne. His bowler on his head and the cane he used as his staff leaning to the side.

And then suddenly he paled and turned as the door opened...And the Fog-Monster emerged into the room. The Mentor scowled.

"You. In the heart of one of the Council Strongholds. So its true."

"Centuries have passed and I have waited, for so long for this moment. Now then, before we begin the fun...Where is it?"

"Beyond your reach creature."

"Oh? I think not...Why else would you seek to burn your notes unless there was something of import? No, I think I will take these...And then I shall take my time with you. Such torments they will speak of for the following centuries of your suffering...I can hardly wait."

He laughed as the Mentor glanced at his cane, out of reach before he pulled out a revolver, pointing it at the creature.

And then the laughter stopped as he aimed lower and fired at the pile of notes.

Activating the dynamite beneath.

That was the Mentor in a nutshell... Not so powerful in might, but clever as they came. And not afraid to use mundane means to accomplish a simple task. The notes were destroyed, the creature howled in pain and fury and as the laboratory burned, it was clear to the creature and Isabelle.

The Mentor was gone.

And then with a start, she'd awaken as a rooster crowed outside and the sound of a horse echoed outside her window. Dawn was here.

".....Pfft, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Coyote flopped over, yipping with utter and complete amusement as he giggled.

"The look on your face! Hahahaha! Priceless! You're quite a believer in first impressions my dear. That provides a lot of ammunition for someone like me and you can't put a price on that."

He flipped back to his feet and grinned.

"Now then! Pay very close attention...Oh."

Almost as an afterthought, he added casually.

"Try to land safely."

And the ground opened up beneath her, sending Isabelle falling like the provincial Alice, deep into Wonderland as she fell...And landed on her back with a sudden thud.

And in a very familiar looking area.

Sure, the equipment looked more expensive and arcane and it was certainly cleaner in parts. But overall, there was no mistaking it. It was a magical workshop, a laboratory of great power and expense.

Where her teacher was currently dumping files all upon the floor in the center. Scowling as he did so, rummaging for everything he could. He more or less still dressed much the same he did as in the picture with Rayne. His bowler on his head and the cane he used as his staff leaning to the side.

And then suddenly he paled and turned as the door opened...And the Fog-Monster emerged into the room. The Mentor scowled.

"You. In the heart of one of the Council Strongholds. So its true."

"Centuries have passed and I have waited, for so long for this moment. Now then, before we begin the fun...Where is it?"

"Beyond your reach creature."

"Oh? I think not...Why else would you seek to burn your notes unless there was something of import? No, I think I will take these...And then I shall take my time with you. Such torments they will speak of for the following centuries of your suffering...I can hardly wait."

He laughed as the Mentor glanced at his cane, out of reach before he pulled out a revolver, pointing it at the creature.

And then the laughter stopped as he aimed lower and fired at the pile of notes.

Activating the dynamite beneath.

That was the Mentor in a nutshell... Not so powerful in might, but clever as they came. And not afraid to use mundane means to accomplish a simple task. The notes were destroyed, the creature howled in pain and fury and as the laboratory burned, it was clear to the creature and Isabelle.

The Mentor was gone.

And then with a start, she'd awaken as a rooster crowed outside and the sound of a horse echoed outside her window. Dawn was here.
She had never been more terrified of a walking chicken nugget in her life T-T

she caught her breath from where she'd shot up in her bed, hand on her chest as if to manually stop her heart from beating its way out of it. She glanced around, taking a few moments to remind herself of where she'd fallen asleep last night, before she swung her feet off the bed and stretched out with a long, heavy yawn. At least the bed had been comfy, even if the dreams had been weird again. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and forced herself to stand up and trudge towards the door, poking her head out to the hall to see the rest of the house' progress towards the waking world

She had never been more terrified of a walking chicken nugget in her life T-T

she caught her breath from where she'd shot up in her bed, hand on her chest as if to manually stop her heart from beating its way out of it. She glanced around, taking a few moments to remind herself of where she'd fallen asleep last night, before she swung her feet off the bed and stretched out with a long, heavy yawn. At least the bed had been comfy, even if the dreams had been weird again. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and forced herself to stand up and trudge towards the door, poking her head out to the hall to see the rest of the house' progress towards the waking world
All else seemed quiet at the Stoker Ranch. Joren's door remained closed and silent down the hall, the Warden Apprentice not yet up.

Down below, a conversation seemed to be occurring as a happy bark revealed the presence of Samson the Hellhound. A peek over the railing revealed two people...Rayne in a bathrobe and scrunchie ponytail, her back to it as a crouching figure in a black duster(seemed to be a theme here) and a wide-brimmed hat covering his features rubbed the belly of Samson as the latter panted happily.

Listen to the convo?

Check up on Joren?

Or dress for breakfast?

All else seemed quiet at the Stoker Ranch. Joren's door remained closed and silent down the hall, the Warden Apprentice not yet up.

Down below, a conversation seemed to be occurring as a happy bark revealed the presence of Samson the Hellhound. A peek over the railing revealed two people...Rayne in a bathrobe and scrunchie ponytail, her back to it as a crouching figure in a black duster(seemed to be a theme here) and a wide-brimmed hat covering his features rubbed the belly of Samson as the latter panted happily.

Listen to the convo?

Check up on Joren?

Or dress for breakfast?
Well first of all she blinked and looked down to see whos pajamas she was even wearing because she did not exactly plan that far ahead when she packed =w=

After that though, she frowned and crept towards Joren's door. It wasn't that she didn't trust the vampire and her mysterious apprentice, but given how... enthusiastic Joren could be about his opinions she just figured it'd be a good idea to make sure there hadn't been some late night grudge match

Status
Not open for further replies.