An Oracle's Prophecy (Citizen of worlds & Vacyr)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pavlos sits down and pops open the cork to his jug of wine. Spilling some of the fine red liquid into a goblet, he hands one to her and gives one to himself. As always, he thanks her for the fruit and promises not to let it go to waste. "A toast then, thanking the gods for having Aeolus return safely." chuckling, he too settles his gaze upon the window. "And it seems he has brought the wind here too!" shaking his head, Pavlos almost finds it unbelievable that his brother returned from that war. Their family was lucky to have two boys, now men, step on as well as of the battlefield. The same small pang of numbness settles below his crooked knee and he starts to rub it. Such intense movements won't hurt him but it freaks the poor man out when he starts to lose feeling completely. Then it's like he is walking with only one leg.

Glancing down, he taps his calf with the butt his cane. "Oh I'm fine, just fine. Getting along as well as I can with this piece of work for my master in town." shrugging, he doesn't go into much detail but starts to give her the main idea. He is a scribe for a wealthy greek councilman, required to go to meetings or hearings and take down as many notes as he can for later reference. Seconds turn into minutes that unfold to nearly half an hour. Speaking of Athens, Pavlos soon grows tired of mainly hearing his own voice. Ten minutes into their conversation, he starts asking more questions of her and her family. Simple, yet caring.

Sooner or later, the conversation starts to gain momentum for Pavlos is always a cheery man with a lot to say. It's because of careful observation, his family figures. Starting to talk about their latest winter and how he has never seen so much snow, Pavlos hardly notices the sounds of leather sandals on the tiled floor. Thinking it's just another servant, Pavlos holds up his cup and expects more wine to be poured generously into it. Instead, a voice rings from behind him. Fierce and low yet not as demanding as the shape his form has taken.

Aeolus, never really having muscle, got his fair share from working the ropes to those Athenian ships. Either rowing every single day for hours and hours on end did the trick or the constant swordplay. Proving himself a better sailor than swordsman, Aeolus soon found himself neatly bronzed from days and days on the water. A new accessory of his is the xiphos, worn well at his hip. Out of years and years of training, his hand rests on the hilt, causing a trickle of comfort up his spine. The man with the gray-blue eyes beams, remembering Corinna by voice as well as her features from a conversation shared last night between his father and brother.

"I hope you weren't expecting me to fill that glass for you, Pavlos. The jug is right there, just help yourself like the industrious man I know you for." Turning his eyes to Corinna, he can't help but smile and walk over, offering his hand for hers. "It's been so long. Might I say you have grown into your form well." swallowing, he liked those words when they were in the safety of his mind. Now that he has said them aloud, they seem stupid, utterly nonsensical. "I assure you I mean no disrespect with those words," grinning, he surely has hardened up for he smiles but always seems to be thinking about something else. There is something, whether a question or comment, on his mind that no one will ever know. Moving to the stove, he glances in to see the soft orange embers twinkle. With a single long blow, the logs ignite again, warming up the room from the chilly wind.

Corinna accepts the goblet of wine from Pavlos, raising her glass to celebrate Aeolus' return to Athens . She takes small sips at a time, listening to what Pavlos has to say.
"It must be nice for your parents to have both of their children back after ten years," she says, "and I'm sure it would be relieving for the rest of the household, as well. There's another person to help out with the farm, seeing as you're quite busy writing in the city!" She thinks that it is great that he is able to help his family in another way that did not involve as much physical work compared to farming.

They continue to talk for a while, Corinna answering his questions about herself and her family. She enjoys talking to Pavlos; she finds herself easily opening up to him, telling him things that she would not usually tell an ordinary person. She figures that maybe she is quite open to him because their families always help one another cope with the farms, and maybe because he seems to be quite cheery.

As they continued to talk, she sees a man walk into the kitchen, and her eyes widen as she recognized who it is. 'He is so... so... He's changed!' she thinks, 'he has big muscles and his skin has changed...' She couldn't take in everything; she was shocked. She smiles as Pavlos holds out his goblet, nearly giving Aeolus away with chuckles.

'His voice has changed, too!' she notes, her train of thought suddenly falling out of track as he smiles at her. She cannot help but smile back at him, even as she looked down blushing at the compliment he gave.
"Welcome back," she says, "and... well... I can say the same for you." She watches as he blows into the stove, and as if by magic, the fire grows. She remembers the generated wind he had introduced to her a long time ago, and she laughs at the memory. "How does it feel to be back in the country after 10 years, with the trees and fruits and your family? It's been a very long time since we last... first... met each other." She's at a loss for words; what was she supposed to say to someone who she barely met, but whose family she is quite familiar with?

"Thank you, it's good to be back," Aeolus quickly smiles, moving over to inspect the fruits that were given to his family by Corinna. "But I do not feel like myself for before I didn't have to nearly turn sideways to fit in and out of our rooms here." tapping his broadened shoulder, knowing it has sustained the weight of both his fellow men as well as armor. The bronze cuirass strapped proudly to his chest, a Corinthian helmet protecting his face from danger every single day. Nearly sleeping every night with them on, their captain feared sneak attacks from the enemies once they advanced on shore.

Pavlos laughs at his brother in a playful manner. Anyone who was anyone can see the adornment and protection Pavlos wishes to cover Aeolus with. Yes, they have had their fights, both being of a stubborn nature. But when they argue, they do so in a very intellectual way. Stepping back from one another, they quietly and calmly let each of them tell their thoughts. No mind manipulation or aimless bantering as many do. Their father has taught them well, both of them being out currently and well on their way to the temples of Athens to pray and thank the gods for the safe return of Aeolus.

"It's strange to be back in a land where you can sleep soundly in your bed at night without any distractions. Running in the mornings will give me the chance to think as I used to but I don't think this world will be the same. War alters people. It has changed me both in body and soul. Yes, I may very well go by the name Aeolus and have the same blood running through my veins as Pavlos here--" cutting himself off, the warrior started to gain momentum with his speech, lifting his hand as if crescendoing into a point. Ruffling his short hair, Aeolus just sits down across from Corinna. Pavlos speaks.

"Corinna has come to see how you faire, brother. She has prepared fruit baskets for us to use as we please." his hand clasps down on his shoulder and Aeolus visibly winces. Pushing the stinging sensation away, all he can do is keep his flatlined face even. It's not like he was angry, sad, nor plotting. Aeolus is just tired and therefore rests his arm on the table, propping up his head. "We've only met once?" he questions, thinking it at least had to be five or so. Grinning ever so slightly, he imagines they've met in his dreams plenty of times. "Well, I thank you for the gift and we shall accept them as a humble thank you." thinking they're through, Aeolus gets up and moves towards the door. Pavlos, surprised by his brother's sudden movements raises a hand to stop him.

"Where do you think you're going?" his brow raising.

Not even turning around, Aeolus feels the wind beckon him onwards and away from his pavilion. He has other duties now and the sun has climbed his way far enough in the sky for Aeolus not to have a move on. "I need some fresh air and time. May Hermes guide you home, Corinna." with so much as a wave, he rounds the corner of the kitchen and walks out of sight. The door can be heard closing moments later and his sandals across the cobble of the courtyard.

She listens intently as he tells her how he feels about being back. She doesn't know what to say since she is shocked by the realization that this man has really gone to war and is one of the fifteen Athenians who survived. Her eyebrows raise, though, when he stops himself from continuing. She tilts her head to the side, wondering why he would stop.

She sees him wince at Pavlos' touch; maybe he was wounded and his shoulder is still sensitive, or so Corinna thinks. Just when she is about to ask a question about how Aeolus is, he asks her a question that catches her a little off-guard. She looks into his eyes; maybe it was a trick of the light, but did his eyes change color?
"Yes, we've only met once," she replies, "back at the agora. That was around 10 years ago..." Maybe he thinks that they have known each other for quite some time. Well, she knows a few things about him, based on what Pavlos tells her, but she did not talk to him enough to know him well.

She is surprised when he suddenly rises up to leave, saying his farewell immediately. Only a minute or two has passed and he's already leaving? 'Maybe I visited at the wrong time,' she thinks, and tells this to Pavlos.
"Well, maybe I should go," she adds, "I'll visit some other time, maybe when he is better..."

But Aeolus said something that bothers her; maybe "bothers" isn't the right word, but it got her curious. She recalls his words: "Yes, I may very well go by the name Aeolus and have the same blood running through my veins as Pavlos here..." She feels that there's a "but" after that. She cannot help but think that he is hiding something. Maybe it's better that she asks Aeolus herself rather than ask Pavlos.
"I'll see you soon, Pavlos," she says, slowly standing up and leaving. She wants to know more about what Aeolus went through, not expecting his sudden leave. She leaves the kitchen and passese through the courtyard, spotting Aeolus a few steps away. 'Maybe I should ask him... The problem is, how am I supposed to approach him?' She thinks about different ways to bring up the subject, but decides in the end to just ask straightforward. There's no use in beating around the bush.

She approaches him and takes a deep breath before speaking. "Aeolus," she begins, "I know you probably have some errands to run, but there's something you said earlier. Is there something you were about to say... before stopping yourself... that's..." She sighed, exasperated. She's at a loss for words. "What happened out there?" she asks. If something is bothering him, she's here to listen, even though she may not know the right words to say. She nervously waits for his answer, wondering if he will shun her or answer her question.

Moving to the stables, Aeolus finds his old chestnut colored mare. Corinna sneaks up behind him and when he hears his name being shouted, he shakes. Quickly turning to see who has disturbed him, he expected some sort of servant or his mother with such a small and sweet chime. Thinking nothing of what was said in their kitchen, Aeolus hops right onto his bare back. The beast underneath him gives a good snorting huff before tempting him with a soothing run. The wind around them starts, embracing Aeolus. Wishing that he wouldn't be followed, the warrior scoffed and clenched his jaw. A noticeable aura surrounds him, a gift from the gods themselves.

Keeping all this information, Aeolus just shakes his head. No longer would he be pushed around from beautiful women. Yes, he tried to be a stud but in retrospect, he is only as good as a waiter can. "I am adapting," is all he can really say, not wishing to say too much and keeping his duty as vague as possible. Steering his horse in the direction of the gates, Aeolus prepares himself to ride off quickly and never look back. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Corinna. Just go home." with a slap of the reigns, he quickly bounds off. Soon he is just a little black and white dot for his steed had been a chestnut but in the lighting, it might as well just be black. That or a rust colored drink.

This routine of his goes on and on. The more Aeolus spends on adventuring, or whatever he might be doing, his family worries greatly about his safety. Demiter, his father, thinks that he is hiding something from his family. Did he father a child while at war and is riding day in and day out to a falcon post for messages to be sent over to her? He doubts the child bit but is convinced that he has taken some lover and has been going to see her a lot. Not knowing Corinna came over that first day, Demiter is convinced that she is the woman. He invites her over on a warm day, the leaves bright green, assisting the rolling hills in their beauty. Waiting for her to arrive, he prepares his questions to see if she is the lucky lady he has been thinking of. Even if it's not a lady, he wants to speak with his neighboring daughter and see if she knows anything at all.

Corinna is visibly hurt by Aeolus' words, and she accepts that there is something that he is hiding that he doesn't want anyone to know yet. As she makes her way home, she ponders on the possible causes of his strange behavior. 'Perhaps he is still shaken by the war,' she thinks. 'Maybe he's adapting to the new perspective of a warrior...' She shakes her head, and as she reaches home, her mother notices that her daughter seems to be looking glum all of a sudden.
"How is he?" Irene asks her daughter as she walks with her to her room.
Corinna shrugs. "I think he's fine. He's adapting," she replies before entering her room and closing the door on her mother's face. 'Maybe she caught him at a bad time,' Irene wonders as she heads to the kitchen to make food.

After that, Corinna goes on with doing her duties in the farm, not bothering to think about visiting Aeolus. His words and face still haunt her mind, though; of course he knows what she is talking about, and there is that strange thing with his eyes! Irene sees that her daughter is focusing so much on farming that one day, she decides to let her daughter rest.
"What are you doing out here, Corinna?" Irene asks as she spots her daughter picking grapes. "I told you to rest."
"No, mother, I'm fine with working," the younger woman replies. "I need to do something or else I will feel very bad about not contributing to the farm."
"You have worked hard enough for the week; it is time you should rest."
A servant runs to them and bows. "Demiter has invited Corinna to their estate," he says, "and he wishes that you come today."
A puzzled look appears on Corinna's face. What would Demiter want from her? Would he ask why their last meeting didn't go so well? Does he think that she is the reason why his son is behaving so differently? 'He of all people should know,' Corinna thinks. "Thank you," she says, "I will be there in a while." She faces her mother. "If this is your way of getting me out of work... I'm only resting today. After this I will work."
"I did not know that Demiter wanted to talk to you," Irene replies, silently thanking Demiter for bringing her daughter out of work. "Go wash yourself and dress up nicely."

Corinna finds herself back in Demiter's estate, noticing that it is not as windy as it was when she last visited. She is curious and, at the same time, scared. She recalls what she did when she last visited, what she gave to them, what she said. She sighs as she smacks her forehead. 'Maybe it's just a farming talk, and since he knows that mother is a bit... frail... he asks me to come.' That's what she gets for thinking too much.

A servant leads her to the place where the master of the estate waits for her. When she gets there, she bows and smiles at him. "Good morning," she greets. "What is it you have called me for?"

Demiter, sitting on one of the benches overlooking his garden, stands once Corinna arrives. Hardly ever smiling unless the occasion calls for such formalities, his long jaw staying shut. Bowing his head to her, he sits down and pats the side of the bench. "You will be a good girl and sit, won't you?" he asks without hesitation, jumping in as he always has done. Aeolus admires his father for his straightforwardness but never had the gift of giving it himself. Many men are angered by Demiter but they do not compare to those who laugh and jeer in his company.

Inspecting her from head to toe, the elderly man smiles. "You are turning into quite the beautiful little flower, aren't you?" leaning in closer, he shamelessly takes some of her hair in his fingers, smelling the fine oils. "I can see why Aeolus has been spending nearly all of his days away from the farm here. May I ask if he has been saying with you? If you two are," grinning, he smacks his lips as if kissing the air, "Involved with one another?"

Holding up his hand, he continues to speak before she answers, "Because I have been witnessing a very strange pattern ever since my son has come home to Athens. He wakes up early, takes a horse from the stable and rides off. No one sees him until dusk when he finally returns." Chewing his lip in a fit of worry, he stands, "My wife and I have tried to speak with him but all Aeolus tells us is to not worry our heads. He goes and comes as freely as the wind." Throwing his hands up in the air, Demiter controls his sudden outburst with grumbled muttering and curses. When he calms down, he takes her young fingers in his, waiting for her to speak.

"Tell me all that you have witnessed. All that is happening between you two." His eyes plead with her to be truthful but he is sure that Corinna is no liar.

Corinna is quite surprised when she hears what he tells her. Involved with one another? He is the one who pushed her away the last time they saw each other! He probably goes out for other reasons, but definitely not for her.
"Well, sir..." She feels uneasy as she thinks of the right words to say. "That... That isn't... He doesn't go out to see me," she finally says. "The last time I was here, I was bringing fruits and bread, and we only talked for a very short time, and just as I was about to ask him more questions, he told me to leave and he left on his horse." She shakes her head. "That's all I know. I really don't know what he does outside."

That gets her thinking. What does he do when he isn't here? Does it have something to do with the war? The war's already over! Maybe he looks after his fellow warriors, or maybe he's with another woman. 'Maybe I'm too curious,' she thinks, 'that's why he pushed me away.'
"I have a feeling he's hiding something big, though," she mutters, remembering his words from the last time they saw each other.

Getting his answer, the man strokes his graying beard. "What makes you think that, my dear Corinna? My Aeolus had always been a man to express himself without worry. At least to family. When he was tired, he would inform you immediately of his lack of strength. If he was thirsty, the boy would ..." trailing off, Demiter's face grows grave. Aeolus, no matter how he may think of him, is no longer that boy. His boy. He has fought for his country, earned his scars well, and has returned a man. Covering his face, he doesn't wish for Corinna to see him in such a state. "But he is no longer my boy. Aeolus has his own life now. I'm sure whatever he is doing..." once again, his words hang in the air, his old, yet still sharp, eyes catching onto a cloud of dust coming towards his home. "He's back, come Corinna. Perhaps if you're here, we can coax some answers from him."

The bronze chested man rides right into the stables, stripping his horse down of the baggage before exiting the stables. By the time he is finished, Demiter has pulled Corinna to his side. Aeolus seems to be counting plush sacks of something. "What are you doing with all of this? Did you steal? The gods see your every movement, Aeolus." Demiter starts but Aeolus' gray eyes shimmer as the beams of light cascade across his face.

"Do not worry father for they were gifts from a very generous--" his eyes catch onto Corinna and the words stick in his throat. "War friend of mine. He claims I saved him from utter doom and these," motioning to the bolts of silk, "are from China for our family to redecorate our drapes or perhaps create a new dress or cape. Do what you will with them. They are only worldly possessions." Picking up the sack, Aeolus starts his way out of the stables, nodding to Corinna as he passes. The man only gets three steps ahead of Demiter before his father slides in front of him and blocks the path.

"Gifts! Aeolus, my son, my dear boy," clasping his shoulders, he knows he cannot be bought with such lies. "Few men in Athens would willingly give this much silk away. Is your friend ill?" chuckling, he shakes his head, wagging his finger in Aeolus' face. "You better tell me what you're doing day and night, boy. Giving your mother and I the run of our lives. Poor Corinna here is even worried about you!" Aeolus seems unmoved by his fathers' speech.

Corinna silently watches the two converse and sighs when she sees Aeolus so quiet. She feels like he isn't going to spill the beans anytime soon... What if she wasn't around? Would he tell his father about what was going on?
She takes a deep breath and looks at his eyes, which definitely changed their color. "I just need to say a few things, to you," she says, and taking his hand, she pulls him a few meters away from his father.

"I don't know what happened to you back in the war," she starts, "and I don't know why you'd stay away from home to 'adapt'." She makes sure to mention what he told her the last time they saw each other. "You've been gone for the past ten years and you still stay out of the house for most of the day, and you don't even tell your parents why you do that. They've waited for so long for you to come back. They've been struggling with the farm because of the war and because you weren't around. They were probably praying to the gods day and night for your safety and for victory." She recalls the times when both families had to rely on one another to survive the war. "You may not want to tell me the reason why you do all this... oh, fine, I don't even need to know, but your parents do."

She looks up at the sky, silently praying to the heavens that he would finally open his mouth and tell his parents what happened to him. She notices that even though the sun is high up in the sky, it is quite cool. This would be the perfect time to go back to their farm and help out. She is about to turn around when she adds, "You have an idea as to what I'm talking about. Whatever it is, please don't hide it from your family."
She turns to Demiter and walks to him. "I... I have to get back to the farm. My brother and father have just left, and I know mother needs all the help she can get... And I also have a feeling that he will talk to you when no one else is around." She gives him a small smile. "It was very nice to see you again, sir, and I hope you get some answers from him soon."
She walks to the entrance of their estate and continues to silently pray to the gods.

Hands collapsing into one another, the warmth from her fingers colliding with his own heat. A single gust of wind comes and wraps around the two of them. Corinna might not understand the wind but Aeolus instantly looks up in a questioning manner as if asking the skies what they mean by such a blow. Yet, the man cannot sit and ponder the ways of the material world for he feels as if he is floating above such puzzles. Blinking, he reminds himself just what that single gust meant, almost nodding to the elements in a silent thank you. That's when Corinna starts to speak, Aeolus forced to listen and, more importantly, be polite.

"I stay out of the house to protect my family." Aeolus states as if it were common knowledge. "The war has taught me many things, Corinna, and I don't expect you to understand. You come here and you lecture me on how I should live my life. I have thought of the answers many times - what to tell my parents and what to keep secret. My own brother, may the gods find mercy in their souls to repair his damage, I cannot utter a single word to. No one. Understand? Its... you all wouldn't understand." He might reject her immediately, waving his hand in dismissal but Aeolus starts to think about her words once she says goodbye to Demiter. She -is- right. I should be at home more and assist my family. He thinks, looking at his father for a long while before any of them make any movement.

"You really want to know what happened?" Aeolus finally asks, walking up to his father and placing a hand on his shoulder as a sign of comfort. Demiter shakes his head from left to right, motioning in the direction that Corinna traveled.

"You need not speak to me, boy. She is the one who will understand you. Talk to her for you two are young and know how one another's minds work. Go now and catch her before she is lost completely. Just speak with her, Aeolus. Ask her what you should keep and what you should throw away when it comes to your time at war." Embracing his son, he waves Aeolus away with a flick of his wrist. "Now go!"

Seeing her figure crawling up the hillside, Aeolus nods, knowing that he will have to run in order to catch up. And so he whispers to the wind and dashes off as fast as his mortal legs can carry him. The wind blows on his back, a constant reminder just to keep running. Finally reaching Corinna, Aeolus doesn't even seem out of breath when he grabs her arm in his iron grip. "Do you really want to know?" He asks her tenderly, his gaze towards the ground in an innocent blockade of his feelings. "How about we go to the seaside tomorrow and talk. Then you can ask all the questions in the world and I'll answer them if I deem fit."

Status
Not open for further replies.