An Expert Patch Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yes, is good idea," she purred, taking his arm happily. She blushed a bit as she said, "Every day you gone, I think of you. I give myself, eh, task, to help to not missing you so much." Ayla rubbed her cheek against his arm, still purring.

"I thought of you every day, too, Ayla." He said with a smile. "Luckily, I was pretty busy most of the time, telling people what to do and all that." he said with a grin. He pushed open the door to the diner open for her, letting her in and following behind. "But when we were actually in New Orleans, I couldn't stop thinking about you."

"So what is like, New Orleans? Is big city like St. Louis?" she wondered. Ayla chose a booth by the window, looking out at the clear blue sky and purring happily. She then propped her chin on her paws and smiled at him expectantly.

If only his crew gave him such attention! He smiled at her, settling the bag beside him on his seat. "It's a big city, pretty much like St Louis I guess. It surrounds a river and all that. Beautiful city. A bit more rowdy though, with Mardi Gras and everything. They always have a big party and a parade...it's a good city." he said with a nod. "Good people there."

"So is like, eh, festival?" she guessed. She wanted to ask him more, but she was bursting to show him her surprise. "I am, eh, look at ad for apartment while you are go. I practice reading to find right ad, am get better," she said proudly, pulling out a notebook stuffed with newspaper clippings that had been pasted in. Surrounding each were some key words written in a very simple handwriting, words that she'd obviously been practicing reading. She showed him yesterday evening's clippings. "See? Only, eh, am no sure where is in city. I do not know very well the streets."

He nodded. "A really big festival. The police in the area sort of look the other way during the festival where alcohol is concerned. To an extent." He shrugged, then smiled when she started talking. Dear god she was adorable. He leaned over to look at the clippings. "Oh, Ayla, this is wonderful! Very helpful!" he said, pulling the book towards himself. "I have to admit, I don't know the city very well either. Do you have a day off from work soon? Maybe we can check some of them out together."

She blushed brightly at the praise, immensely pleased with herself. "Eh, is difficult for have day off. If I am take day, is no pay. But I am have Saturday and Sunday for rest," she explained, a bit hesitantly. "But I am like to go with you!"

"Well, how about Saturday then?" he asked with a smile. "I can take this with me and ask the boys on the boat about the neighborhoods some. Maybe borrow someone's car. How's that sound?"

Ayla nodded eagerly. "Eh, where I am meeting you?" she asked, finally opening her menu. They should order soon if they didn't want to rush their meal. This time, she read the menu with a bit more confidence, even though she still struggled over some of the words and wasn't the fastest at it either.

"Oh, um. Well, how about here?" He looked over his menu at her. "Maybe we can have breakfast together before we go out looking?" It was probably way too forward of him to ask to pick her up at her apartment. This would just have to do. Until they knew each other better.

She blushed again at him over her menu, nodding. "Yah, I am like that..." she agreed shyly. Wow, this was way more than a lunch date! Still blushing, Ayla returned her attention to the menu. Or, at least she tried to. When the waiter came, her mind went a bit blank and she just pointed at something that she vaguely remembered looking promising.

Joshua had to quickly pick something out as well and smiled apologetically at the man. He looked back at Ayla once the waiter was gone and just smiled at her for a minute. "Oh, I got you some beads." he laughed. "They're just cheap plastic things, but they're important down there for some reason..." He reached into the bag and produced about five strands of plastic beads in various colors. "They're pretty fun though." he said, handing them over to her. "People throw them from the floats in the parade."

Ayla giggled and tried them on before taking them and tucking them into her purse. "Are fun, thank you," she said wholeheartedly. She fiddled awkwardly with her silverware, not sure what to say next. "You, eh, you are forgive me, I am no very good at, eh, chatting?"

He smiled happily, watching her try them on and put them away. "Most people in the city decorate their fences with them." He laughed a little and shrugged. "Don't worry, Ayla. We don't need to talk the whole time we are together." He looked at the notebook, flipping through some of the adds. "These are all really good choices, it looks like..."

"Yah? Is any are sound good? I am no sure how much price you pay, so I choose that are no too, eh, up high with the price, and no too low." She hugged her tail and purred happily, watching him read through the ads.

"They all look really good." he told her with a smile. "We'll go check them out on Saturday." He smiled at her, folding his arms on the table and leaning into them. "Have you been keeping busy at work without me bringing in all of my uniforms?"

She giggled. "Yah, is always have work to do, but is not as fun as watching uniform man try on tight trousers," she teased back. Once she realised what she was saying, she turned quite pink. "Eh, you say you are try to lose weight on trip. You are have, eh, success?" she went on quickly, trying to forget what she'd just said, and the memory it brought with it. She blushed even brighter.

He grinned and blushed a bit himself, even though he had three kids. Something about someone as cute and innocent as her saying it was just...it was nice. He shifted a little in his seat. "Uh, yeah, actually. A little bit." he smiled. "The boys on ship teased me about it. They said I must have found myself a girl since I was suddenly caring about PT again..."

Ayla giggled again, still blushing furiously. "What you are tell them?" she wondered as the waiter finally arrived with their meals. She thanked him and picked up her fork, still waiting for Joshua's answer.

He looked up to thank the waiter, starting to pick up his sandwich. "I told them it was none of their business, but yeah. I found someone I like in town and want to impress her...can't do that by being old and out of shape."

Status
Not open for further replies.