An Expert Patch Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ayla stopped fiddling and nodded, looking back at him. "Is sound like good idea. Maybe, when you are come back, I help you look? If is not have furniture, you are need as well. And kitchen tools, and sheets and curtains. I can help make look nice for children and guest," she offered. "Is nice to have lady touch, yes?"

He smiled brightly at her, tail thumping against his seat. "I would like that, Ayla. A woman's touch is a very important part of any home. When I come back, you can help me find a good apartment and decorate it, absolutely. Sounds like it would be fun."

Ayla blushed happily, smiling back at him. She was so happy that he liked the idea. She really wanted his apartment to look nice for his children. He was such a nice guy, he deserved a nice apartment, and to see his children. If she could help him to do that, that would really mean so much to her. She was still smiling when the waiter brought their lunch, wiggling excitedly at the thought of helping him find a new place, until she remembered that he'd be gone for almost two weeks. "I am, eh, miss seeing you, when are gone," she told him, sobering up some.

Those words were nice to hear. He gave her a nice, warm smile. "I will miss you too, Ayla. It has been very nice getting to know you." He took a bite of his lunch, chewing thoughtfully. It would definitely be a bit hard being away from her. Sure, he'd fall into the same routine he'd had for so long once the boat cast off, but he had made so many new friends lately. This might be the hardest patrol for him since the patrol right after the birth of his youngest child...

Her heart did an odd little flutter when he smiled at her. Catching her breath, she looked down quickly at her lunch and picked up her knife and fork to hide her blush. Taking the first few bites, she purred happily at the taste. "Is very good," she said, complimenting him on his suggestion. "How is you lunch?" she asked conversationally.

He looked over at her, smiling. "Delicious as always. I'm glad you like yours, Miss Ayla. We will have to go out for lunch again when I get back."

Ayla nodded in agreement, purring louder. Suddenly, there was a lot more in life to look forward to.

At the end of her lunch break, Ayla reluctantly stood outside the shop with Joshua, not wanting to say goodbye. She wasn't very much looking forward to leaving this little bright spot in her day for the drudgery of more work, or to the next two lonely weeks. Shyly taking his paw in both of hers, Ayla tried to force herself to do something, anything, to let him know how she felt.

Joshua smiled, squeezing her hand with his. "I had a wonderful time, Ayla. Thank you for coming along with me." he said, tail wagging slowly. He wasn't going to think about it being the last time he would see her for two weeks. That would only depress him. He wanted to think of her like this, happy and adorable and so shy and cute...and if he brought up how long it would be until they met again, well, she'd probably cry and he didn't want to see that...

"I, eh, I thank you for asking," she replied happily, still blushing a bit. "Is very nice, sweet, for you." Going even more red, she leaned up and gave him a quick peck on the cheek before stepping back and fighting a giggle. She suddenly remembered something then. "Oh! You uniform, is still inside!" She'd completely forgotten! Blushing furiously, she quickly unlocked the door and scurried over to the rack to grab them before they forgot again.

He laughed and grinned, touching his cheek, tail wagging a mile a minute. He followed her into the store, a little dazed but very happy. "I ah...did I pay you for them already?" he asked, reaching for his wallet.

"Ah..." Ayla turned bright red as she struggled to remember. She checked the receipt book and nodded at him. "Yah, is pay..." she answered, her cheeks still pink as she reluctantly handed over the garments, loathe to see him go. But she really did need to get back to work now. "I see you, when are back..."

Joshua nodded. "Yes." he said, taking his uniforms. "I will see you when I get back." He smiled at her for a moment before sighing a little and nodding. "I'll uh...I'd better get going..." he said before nodding to her and turning, rather reluctantly leaving and heading back to work.

"Bye..." she called after him, waving. When he was gone, she sighed, frowning. It was going to be a long and lonely couple of weeks. As she settled back down to work, she tried to think of what she could do to occupy her mind with all that waiting. She wasn't confident enough to go on her own to start looking for apartments for him, but maybe she could keep some newspaper clippings of ads for apartments? Yes, that would be good practice for her reading as well! Plus, maybe she could start thinking of fabrics she could use for curtains and bedspreads, at least for the children's rooms.

A smile spread across Ayla's face as she thought about all of this. It was nice to have someone else to think about. She kissed her locket fondly. It had been a long time since she'd felt that old, familiar feeling, but she recognised it all the same. She was definitely falling for the handsome, older officer.

Said handsome, older officer was fairly subdued on his trip, but it wasn't abnormal for him. He did enjoy New Orleans and most of what the city had to offer, but definitely not all of it. He had fun, but was more than happy to return home.

Two weeks and a couple of days later, Joshua walked back into the shop with a bag in one hand. He walked up to the counter, smiling happily. "Miss Ayla? I'm back!"

Ayla looked up and smiled at him, and waved him over to a chair to wait. She was currently busy pinning up the hem of a lady's skirt, her mouth too full of pins to say anything. She had just started, so it would take her a few minutes to finish.

An older woman, looking a bit stern, stepped up to Joshua. "Sir, may I help you today?" she asked, quirking her eyebrow at him and the bag. "Or are you here to distract my girls?"

Joshua smiled at her before moving to sit in the chair. He looked up at the woman, standing when she walked up to him. "I did intend to wait for her lunch break to distract her. I have a tendency to show up a bit early." he shrugged a little. "Blame my military habits."

"Hm, see that you do," she said in a clipped tone, moving off back to her work.

Eventually, Ayla finished with her customer, making a couple of notes for the alteration in a small notebook that stayed in the pocket of her work apron while she waited for the woman to finish changing in the small changing area. Once she re-emerged, Ayla accepted the skirt and wrote up the order for the woman and handed her the slip. Once she had left the shop, Ayla smiled happily at Joshua, removing her apron. "Mrs. Fuller, I am go for my lunch now, yah?"

The owner gave her a glance and a curt nod. "Be sure you're not late coming back, or you'll be docked a half-hour's wages."

Ayla nodded dutifully and moved off to grab her hat and shawl before hurrying up to Joshua, all smiles as she grabbed him by the hand and pulled him out of the shop. She didn't stop until they'd reached the corner, when she turned and hugged him around his waist. "I am miss you so much!" she purred, blushing some.

Joshua laughed and hugged her back. "I missed you, too, Ayla." he said, grinning. "I brought you some things back, if you want them. Some of that donut mix, things like that..." He grinned. "I really missed you..."

She clapped her hands gleefully and looked up at him. "Yah! Yes please!" she giggled. "Where we are go for lunch? I have thing for you too, a surprise!"

For the past two weeks, she'd looked at the paper every day, practicing reading the ads, and in the past few days, clipping out the most recent prospects to show him when he came back. She was really very proud of herself, and her reading skills had improved quite a bit.

The old chief grinned and offered her his arm. "I hope you didn't miss me too much." he said as they walked. "Oh, I thought we'd go to the same diner as last time. It's close. Less risk of you being late and getting into trouble." he smiled happily.

Status
Not open for further replies.