An Expert Patch Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ayla grinned and murmured to herself in Turkish as she looked over the photos. She giggled at Terry's grin, and snuck a look at Joshua as she compared his face and Junior's. She studied Isabelle's a moment longer, contemplating the expression as if trying to figure her out. She handed them back finally, surprising herself when her breath hitched as she complimented him on his children. Embarrassed, she blushed and glanced away as she quickly swiped at her eyes. She was still genuinely smiling, though it was a bit weaker.

"Sorry, I am not mean to start to cry," she apologised, her cheeks now red and just a bit damp. "They are beautiful, you are lucky for having them..."

"Thank you." he said, taking the photos back. He pulled out a handkerchief and handed it over to her. "I'm pretty proud of them. I'm sorry if it uh...sorry I made you cry." he laughed softly and smiled at her. "They live with their mother, most of the time. I hardly get to see them. Her and I didn't split um...on real great terms..."

Ayla accepted the handkerchief a bit sheepishly. "Is okay. Was very sad before, to lose Selim and son at same time. We are both very sick. Baby was too early. Was not ready for being born..." She twisted the handkerchief in her paws and looked down at her lap as she spoke. "Now, is not so sad, but I miss them. Is very lonely to be living with no one else. You are miss yours too?"

He gave her a sad smile and nodded. "Yeah. Every day." He took the pictures and looked at them, lying them on the table. "I couldn't imagine never seeing one of them again..." He looked up at her. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, Ayla. And I hope you never go through anything like that ever again...but I at least know how lonely it is to have had a family and then suddenly...." he held up his hands. "Nothing. I get them in the summers, when I'm not busy, usually only for a week or two...sometimes I see them on Christmas, sometimes I'm out on patrol."

Ayla didn't answer him, just nodded and looked to the server who'd finally come around to hand them some menus, set the table, pour water, and offer them something else to drink. Ayla opted for just some tea to go with her water for now. She didn't open her menu just yet, though. When the waiter left, she looked back to Joshua. "Is still things for to be thankful. Are both healthy and have work. You children are safe, and grow up well. Maybe now we help each other to no be lonely..."

Joshua asked for coffee, because there wasn't a time of day where he wasn't drinking any. "That's true." he said, giving the young woman a smile. "I really am going to bring you back something from New Orleans." he said happily. "It's...quite the city." he laughed a little. "Rowdy. Every night seems like it's a party....even with prohibition."

"Why?" she asked curiously. "Why is rowdy?" The word felt strange and awkward on her tongue, but she got through it fairly well. "And what kind of city is?" Ayla opened up the menu and began slowly picking her way through it. She wasn't the best at reading English, knowing enough to write and read orders, but more common things were still difficult for her.

"It's...I don't know. Prostitution, gambling, it's right on the Gulf of Mexico at the end of the river. Lots of stuff gets through there that the local PD can't keep track of. Most of them are paid off just like they are here.." he sighed and picked up his menu, starting to look through it.

After a moment of quiet menu contemplation, a thought struck him. She probably couldn't read it. "They've got a really good roast beef sandwich here....and their chicken is also really good...I think it comes with a little bit of rice and some lemon sauce or something..." he said, slyly reading off what he thought she might like without making it sound like he knew she needed help. He was good at that. He dealt with a lot of people who didn't really speak English well.

Ayla slowly read the listing for the chicken, her lips moving silently with the effort. "Yah, is sound good," she agreed, glancing over the menu for a minute more before closing it. She smiled at him. "Always I am eat sandwich in park. Is nice for to have break. I am thank you to invite me."

Joshua smiled at her, putting his menu down. He was going to go with the roast beef. "A sandwich in the park sounds like a nice way to spend a lunch break. Usually I'm just in the galley on the boat. Sometimes things get interesting, but if fights break out, I have to stop them." he said with a smile.

Ayla's ears flicked forwards, curious. "Fight? Over food?" she wondered. There was a lot about the Coast Guard that she didn't know about, but she was pretty sure the Government would be able to feed them all adequately, unlike in Turkey or other countries in Eastern Europe. It's not like they were far away from home in a war.

"Not over food, no. Usually just because everyone is in such close quarters. It's like...if a family had a hundred people in it and they all had to live in the same house and share everything except their clothes and personal items. There are going to be arguments, especially between all of the teenagers."

"Ohhh," she nodded, understanding. "You live on boat?" she wondered. She couldn't remember if he'd said that he had his own flat or not. Especially for when his children came to visit.

They were interrupted again by the server, who set down their drinks and politely took their orders before setting off again.

"Yeah. When my kids come, I rent a hotel room nearby and stay with them there. But usually I just live on the boat. I've been thinking, lately, about getting an apartment...everyone says I need to." He laughed softly. "My CO says I need to get away from work sometimes."

"Is maybe would be nice, for when children are come to visit, they are having own room, and you are make breakfast for them," she agreed. "Is nice for have own place to get away. Before I am find job as seamstress, I am cook for boarding house to have room there. Is not have very many chance for private. When I find job, I move out right away. Is nice and quiet, but..." she hesitated. "Now I am feel more alone..."

Oh god, she was so sad...It just broke the crusty old salt's heart. He gave her a soft smile. "It's kind of how I felt after the divorce. I went from houses with a wife and three kids to...yeah." He shook his head. "I think I'd like an apartment. Keep the seamen from coming up and knocking on my door at all hours when they can't figure out what they're supposed to do."

Ayla giggled at the thought of that. "How big apartment you are get? Maybe, three rooms? Boys share room and you daughter is have her own room? Or just two? Then maybe is not so beg when you are by self?" she suggested, trying to keep the conversation light and not dwelling on the loneliness of both their lives.

He shrugged. "Three makes sense, so the kids can have their own space. That will be important as they get older. I might try and stick around here for a while. I got a little carried away when I suddenly got the chance to really travel. So maybe three bedrooms wouldn't be bad." He looked over at her and smiled. "I guess I can always have guests around if I wanted, when the kids aren't there...and my ex would probably let my kids stay longer..."

"You are tire of travel?" she wondered. "But maybe is nice to have children stay more longer. You are have many friend for stay over?" Ayla fingered her hat idly, resting her elbows on the table and resting her head in her hands to do so. It was just an unconscious movement as she thought about the possibilities of a larger apartment while they waited for their food. "I will not need big apartment for long time, I think. Is only me and is space for a friend to come for tea..."

"Well, sometimes when new people come to the boat, they need a place to stay while they find somewhere." He shrugged and smiled at her. She was so cute sitting there like that.

"I think the size of a space is important. And right now, my birthing on the boat is a little small." he chuckled. "At least I don't have to share it with anyone, but it's pretty small."

Status
Not open for further replies.