An Adventure For The Hell Of It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aly took her hunting knife and went outside to gut and bleed the deer. "While you look for the child you allowed to leave your sight, I'm going to prepare our dinner." She said. She heafted the carcass up and sliced along the belly, letting the innards spill out. Shd reached in and pulled out the rest, leaving an empty cavity. She also skinned it. They could trade the hide for supplies later. She butchered the deer as well. Some of it went to cook on the fire while thr rest was preserved for later.

By mere chance, Emdal just happened to be nearby when Aly dragged the deer out. She watched the gory process of preparing the deer with wide eyes. She was utterly fascinated. She knew living things had blood and whatnot in them, but never before had she seen those things taken out. She made no sound as she watched the guts fall free of the carcass. She observed the remnants being removed. She watched as skin was cut away from meat. She licked her top lip without realizing it as her instincts recognized the innards as food. When was the last time she'd eaten? She began to wonder whether it was just deer that looked like that when being prepared, or if other animals would produce a similar visual result. An innocent little smile began to spread across her face...

...And then she collapsed. There was a faint thumping sound as her body hit the sand. Would it look like the sight of the dead deer had provoked this? Well, there is was again -- Emdal tended to have random fainting spells, and here was another one. She would probably wake up in a moment, but until then, she was out cold.

Tala had searched hard for the little girl all around the base. She silently was having heart attacks every time she went into a room and still didn't find her. The young wolf girl was starting to give up as she came back full circle to the dining area again, running a hand through her hair in frustration. "Ugh...where could she have gone..."

Tala decided to check outside the base instead, her sense of smell unconsciously leading her towards the scent of deer meat. As she came to the scene, her eyes immediately settling on Emdal, passed out cold on the ground. She gasped and ran over to the little girl in less than a heartbeat. She kneeled down beside Emdal, making sure she heard her breathing and checking her wrist for a pulse.

Tala took a breath to calm herself, though it didn't help as her heart kept racing. She again began to mentally beat herself up, shaking her head angrily. "God dammit I shouldn't have left her alone..." Tala looked up at Aly nearby, frowning. Although she had been taught basic first aid and cpr, she was unsure of what to do form there, feeling helpless, a feeling she really really did not enjoy.

(@WhiteWolfKC: Since Aly has a bond with animals through his Wild Magic and Tala is a Wolf, can the two be friends?)

Aly looked up from her task when she heard a faint thump somewhere nearby. She expanded her mental reach in search of the animal that could have made the sound. The mind she felt was human, a child. She was getting up to investigate when Tala rushed past her. Aly hurried to keep up with the Wolf-girl. It was hard to do without shifting into a wolf herself, but tbat would just scare thr child.

Thankfully for Tala, this was one of Emdal's shorter episodes. Her eyes squeezed shut tighter as she woke, and she lightly coughed some sand out of her mouth. Now in a groggy state from the deep unconsciousness she'd been buried in, she rolled over onto her side and curled up into a ball. 'Five more minutes...' she thought, rubbing her eye with one fist. She held still like this before flipping over to curl up on her other side. Then one eye opened halfway. "Drake?" she asked sleepily, slowly rubbing both eyes this time. When both dark-chocolate eyes opened and her vision cleared, she was a little disappointed. "Oh, that's right. He's dead."

Emdal sat up with her feet spread out in front of her and her hands supporting her from behind. "Good morning," she mumbled. She tried to stand up, but seemed to be having trouble with her footing in the sand.

@CynderTheDragoness
@WhiteWolfKC

As Emdal began to stir, Tala moved back to give her more space. She looked up as Aly came closer, letting out a sigh of relief, visibly calming down as the little girl rolled onto her side. Tala frowned slightly as she called out to someone, and then as she remarked that they were dead, frowned deeper. Who in the world was this kid?

Tala then smiled slightly and chuckled as she crouched in front of Emdal, "Uh, Good morning kid. You okay? How are you feeling?" She stood up and brushed herself off, then quickly caught the kid as she had trouble with her footing. "Maybe we should take you inside and out of the sun. Maybe eat something too. Aly, how bout we bring some of that deer meat in to cook??"

@Rilette
@CynderTheDragoness

"She alright?" Aly called as she neared. She laughed lightly when the girl greeted them with 'good morning'. "The deer is almost done. It's skinned, but I haven't cut it yet. I'll cut off enough to cook now and bring it in before I finish up." She said. She went back to the hanging carcass and off large sections from the thighs and brought it in before coming back out to finish butchering it.

(Sorry, I've been so inactive, I've just kinda been all over the place lately)

He looked out the window of the second floor's window, watching the two older women fuss after the small girl. He let out a relieved sigh. "Thank goodness." He walked down the stairs, there was no way he was getting any sleep. He smiled at Aly who had her deer ready for cooking. "I think we have a little garlic powder left, if you want to use it for the meat." He suggested, taking his place back into one of the chairs.

"Hey, Tala? When are we going out again?" He asked the wolf shifter. "We have no money, no supplies. I think it's about time to start taking jobs again?" He leaned back and stretched his arms above his head.

@CynderTheDragoness
@WhiteWolfKC

Damon walked up to the rear of the building. He probably should've gone to the front like a normal person, but he never tried breaking into a place where he was likely to be caught, now seemed like a good first time. He approached the building in a silent run he worked hard to get down. He planted a foot on the side of the building, and ran up a short distance to a window. He continued to climb up from window to window until he reached the top one. With a little work, he managed to open it and slip inside the room. He looked around to see it filled with various items, each with its own sign that said, "Do not touch!".

He shifted uncomfortably in his chair, looking up. There had been a soft thud, that could only belong to a light footed human. "Hey...Aly, save me a plate, why don't cha, there's something I have to check on." He got up, and silently made his way up the stairs, grabbing an umbrella on the way up.

He burst into the room waving his umbrella around like a manic. "Who's there? Come out and face me!" He ordered. He looked around the dark shadows his back tense. "This place is dangerous, some of the things in here will kill you."

Damon heard the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs, quickly vaulted over the windowsill just before the door opened. He held onto the edge so he wouldn't drop all the way down and slowly lowered himself to the next window down, where he pried it open and slipped inside, causing more noise than he meant to in his rush. He quickly found a place to hide, a place he thought was so obvious, no one would look. He slipped under a bed that smelled vaguely of alcohol.

He poked around the room, but her found nothing. He knew someone had been there. He checked the whole floor, before he inspected the rooms. But still found nothing. He wondered into his room, clearly frustrated, and threw his umbrella at the wall. For all he knew, the intruder could have taken something. Anything. They really needed better security.

He flopped down onto his bed. "I'm useless." He sighed. He reached over to his bedside table and grabbed his bottle of rum. "Damn useless."

Damon had to force himself to keep breathing as a man entered the room. He heard something crash against the wall, then pressed himself as flat as he could as he figured the man fell on to his bed and began drinking of he heard right. He felt a little guilty as the man began to lament to himself, but did nothing as anything could give away his location. However, the man's bed dropped quite a bit of dust when he dropped on the bed, and began to feel a clichéd giveaway coming on.

He didn't feel hungry any longer, and figured he could just tuck himself away in his room until he had work to do. He crossed one leg over the other, and looked at the bunk above him, drawing patterns in the wood with his mind. The alcohol was bitter on his tongue, causing him to scrunch up his nose in disgust. Not that it stopped him from drinking.

Aly had wrapped the rest of the meat and placed it in the cool cellar. It would be gone within the week as the buck had been small. She had just returned to the kitchen to prepare the meat for their meal when James gad walked in and told her that they still had garlic powder. "Thanks James." She said and set to work trimming off what little fat remained on the meat. She then seasoned it and placed it in a pan to cook. She heard something upstairs abd then James had disappeared. "If it is an intruder, take a blade." Aly had warned, yet dhe knew he may not have heard.

As Tala brought Emdal inside and settled her in a chair in the dining room as James came in. She sighed and shrugged, pursing her lips in thought. "I was hoping to hear something form the boss but...guess not. I'll check around for some good job. I'm sure they're piling up by now. We really need more supplies.." She trailed off and sat down in a chair beside the kid, crossing her arms. She smiled a bit as she smelled Aly start to cook up the deer meat. She really was craving that meat right now. Tala raised an eyebrow as James mentioned checking on something just after she had heard a faint noise from upstairs and sat up, though she didn't follow. "Just don't make a mess James!" She called out before muttering to herself, "I wonder what in the hell that was.."

Emdal sat patiently, swinging her feet and running her fingers through her still-matted hair. She started singing whatever song came to her mind at half the speed and volume, due to the lingering affects of her deep sleep moments earlier. "I'll sing you a song, a good song of the sea -- with a way, hey, blow the man down -- and trust that you'll join in the chorus with me -- give me some time to blow the man down." She stopped touching her hair and began tilting her head rhythmically from side to side as she sang. She was curious as to who this 'boss' Tala mentioned was, but she didn't really have the energy to question the woman as she sat down beside her. She vaguely wondered whether she should sing Little Miss Muffet next, but the words of the next song had already reached her lips and she didn't feel like changing songs.

"Three blind mice, three blind mice -- see how they run, see how they run! -- they all ran after the farmer's wife -- she cut off their tails with a carving knife -- did you ever see such a sight in your life, As three blind mice?" Emdal stopped moving to look at Tala. She didn't really have a reason; she was just occupying her time until the food was ready. She stared unblinkingly with emotionless big, brown eyes. Should she make conversation..? Hm... Oh, that's right, she did have that one question. "Tala, who is this 'boss' person?"

Damon tried to hold in the sneeze as long as he could, but it was persistent, and he had to clench his teeth to keep quiet as he began to inhale.

Tala looked down at Emdal and chuckled as the little girl started to sing songs sleepily. She was glad the girl was at least okay, and sat back to wait for the cooking meat. She wondered where in the hell James was, then sighed, guessing he just went back to sleep again.

When Emdal stopped singing, she looked down again to see the kid staring up at her. The young wolf wondered how such a young kid could come to have such emotionless eyes, and she almost felt sad for the girl. At her question, Tala blinked and smiled softly, "Well..the boss is the one who created this group apparently some years ago. I've only ever seen the boss once when the old leader of the group was here and then she went off somewhere. Now she gets the jobs for us from random places of the world and then lets us know when she's got a new one for us."

@Rilette

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.