An Actresses Role, A Writer's Creation

((Sorry for the lack of posting! I've been so busy lately that it completely slipped my mind XP))

Abby glanced around with a sheepish grin at the room. She supposed it was a littly dirty. Abby rarely went into this room, after all it was a little useless to her. Not many people stayed over, especially not after they saw all the animals. Aside from the animals she let run around there were also several mice, hamsters, gerbils, and even a few ferrets in cages in the back rooms of the house. All of it combined usually sent others running for the hills, if politely.

"Sorry about the mess! I'll dust up a bit," Abby commented, turning back to Kailey as the girl sneezed. She giggled happily and nodded, pointing to a door on one side of the room. It led to the bathroom, shared by both the guest and master bedrooms.

((Don't worry I've been busy on a trip))

The girl grinned behind her hands and rushed into the bathroom to clean her hands from her sneeze. Groaning softly she stood there, her head bowing for her as she leaned against the counter. How was she going to survive a few days in this hectic place? She didn't mind the animals but they were all pushing on her mind, trying to get in, to meet her and to talk her head off. Just then a particularly chatty ferret started to inch its way into her mind and she succumbed to the floor, her wet hands clutching her head as she tried to beat back the animal's conscious minds with pleas for them to leave her to meet each of them one at a time. She let out a small whimper as her hands clutched at her head.

Abby watched as Kailey smiled, again, and rushed to the bathroom. She looked around at the room and saw all the dust and dirt. It really had been a while since anyone had been over, even just for a visit. Abby knew her life was busy but she also knew that it wasn't so busy that she had to neglect her friends. The thing was... Abby often found herself preferring animals to people. She knew that wasn't a good thing, but Abby wasn't as much of an innocent idiot as a lot of people took her for. She knew there were bad people who did bad things, but Abby chose to believe that everyone was good deep inside. That faith was hard to keep up, though, and it was easier when she just didn't talk to a lot of people. Abby then realized that that logic made no sense and let out another giggle.

Abby glanced at the bathroom door with a small frown, thinking Kailey had been in there for a while. She approached it quietly and stood by the door, listening for a moment. She heard a small whimper and Abby quickly pushed the door open to see Kailey curled up on the ground. Abby immediately jumped forward and put an arm around the girl. She looked at her face, the way her hands were covering her ears as if she was trying to block out something.

"Just tell them to be quiet or Abby will be very, very mad," Abby advised the girl. She kept her voice soft, but loud enough so that Kailey might be able to hear. She smiled softly, encouragingly, at Kailey. She knew each and every animal in this house inside and out. She knew every single detail about them, and their attitudes and she knew how to take care of them to the best of her ability. Abby had taken care of each of them and she knew that none of them wanted to see her mad. Abby hugged Kailey close to her, keeping silent. She knew the last thing Kailey wanted was another voice crowding up her head.

Kailey whimpered as Abby touched her. She shivered and shook, trying to push the animal's minds away. They were all just happy to see her. They all wanted to introduce themselves at once. The touch of the other woman calmed her enough but she didn't know what to do. She couldn't threaten the animals. It wasn't a part of her that she'd want to try and use. "I-I'm sorry Abby," she whispered, trying to make the pain go away. Slowly though as she processed Abby's advice the animals seemed to step back mentally as if they'd heard it despite her attempts to hide it.

Reluctantly she let out a breath and opened her eyes a little. The pressure in her head lessened and she looked around and then up at Abby. How had the woman known that it was the animals speaking to her? She could have just assumed that she was getting a headache but it had been as if Abby had known she was talking to them.

Abby shook her head gently as Kailey continued to whimper. They were all so eager that they probably didn't realize the pain they were causing. Abby shifted so she was sitting beside Kailey and holding the other girl as tightly as she could. She couldn't barely imagine how it must feel to have so many voices all crammed inside her head. Abby could barely manage her own thoughts sometimes. Abby let out a small sigh as Kailey apologized and reached a hand around to brush the writer's hair back.

"There is no need to apologize," Abby replied softly. She smiled at Kailey, sincere and honest as always. Abby had no idea why Kailey would want to apologize for something like that. As Abby watched she could see Kailey relax and she knew her words had gotten through. Abby smiled down at Kailey as the other woman looked up at her. She could read the curiosity in her eyes and giggled softly. Then Abby realized she was still holding Kailey rather tightly and she released the girl and stood. Abby held out a hand to Kailey cheerfully.

"My mom told me all about how eager the animals are to meet someone who can understand them. I kind of inherited a love of them from her, and I can even understand them a little. Although not as much as she could, and she told me lots and lots of stories too. It was pretty cool to hear about," Abby chattered on. She smiled at Kailey, her eyes shining.

"I'm really happy you're okay," Abby added gently, "And I'm sorry about all them."

Kailey slowly, untrustingly, took the other woman's hand and pushed herself up. She stood on her own for a few seconds before she collapsed back against the wall nearest her. She pulled her eyes closed tightly as she waited for it all to pass for her. "I'm sorry," she repeated as a hand went to her temple and rubbed lightly. "I'm afraid I can't stay here. It's too loud. Just-Just too many. Your mother must have been a strong woman to be able to deal with this many animals in one house. I'm not that strong. I can't--It hurts and I can't tell them to be quiet. It would go against their natures. All of them." She would just find another place to stay. She could come each day and observe the girl as she did errands or something, but she couldn't deal with this constant pounding on her head. "P-Please forgive me." She didn't move to leave though as she rubbed her head. Her mental pathways were raw from the many animals strung around the house. While most of them were quieter than they had been, to her untrained body it was a tad bit too much still. But she couldn't tell them to be quiet. It would be wrong and against their very natures.

Abby kept her hands out gently as Kailey stood, swayed for a moment, then collapsed against the wall. Immediately Abby moved forward and put a hand on Kailey's shoulder. She kept quiet as Kailey spoke, apologizing again and again. She didn't want the girl to have to do this, to leave simply because of Abby's... habit. But she understood.

"My mother practiced. She strengthened her mind and she built up walls to block them out when she didn't want to hear them. You can learn to do that too, Kailey. It'll be okay," Abby whispered softly to the girl. She smiled at Kailey, even if the girl's eyes were closed Abby was convinced that she would be able to feel the reassuring vibes. Suddenly Abby heard a creak on the door and turned to see Lissy, one of the cats, peering through the door. Abby shook her head and turned away from Kailey to kneel by the orange cat.

"Can you tell everyone to quiet down a bit more? She's not like Lily was. She isn't strong enough for all of you yet," Abby explained softly. Animals were a lot smarter then most people thought, and they generally got the gist of what Abby was telling them. Lissy turned and disappeared into the house as Abby stood and returned to Kailey's side.

"Do you want to go for a walk? It'll be okay, we can get out of here," Abby suggested.

Kailey had taken comfort from the hand on her shoulder but as soon as it left she slipped down the wall and was sitting on the floor again as she held her head. As Abby spoke she felt the animal's voices quiet even more so that they were barely in her mind at all. Slowly she uncurled and looked up at Abby. There was a look of surprise and relief on the girl's face as she looked down at her legs. "I didn't want to make you do that Abby. Animal's should be asked to be quiet with their mental voices," she whispered though the relief on her face couldn't be more clear that she was grateful for the quieter voices in her mind. "A-A walk might be good though." Slowly she pushed herself back up, using the wall to steady herself.

Abby replaced her hand on Kailey's shoulder, even with the girl on the ground. She was crouching in front of Kailey, worried about the girl. That worry slowly faded into a smile as Kailey uncurled and looked up at her, relieved. Abby kept her hand on Kailey's shoulder and shook her head at her next comment.

"Oh, they were always too chatty anyway. Mom used to say that all the time," Abby responded. She let out a small giggle at the tiny joke before leaning a bit closer to Kailey. "Never be sorry for this. It's a wonderful gift you have to learn to control." Then Abby pulled away once more and jumped to her feet. She watched as Kailey pushed herself up.

"Okey dokey! A walk it is, then. Let's go!" Abby cheered happily. She held out a hand to Kailey once more, smiling widely at the other woman. She still looked a little shaky on her feet, but Abby wasn't planning on going too fast.

Kailey looked at the hand offered to her and smiled weakly. "I think I'll be fine," she whispered and started to walk out of the bathroom before tripping over a hamster. Well, tripping wouldn't be the word. A yell of fear slammed into her mind as she nearly stepped on the creature. In reaction to that she stumbled, misplaced her feet and started to tumble forward, careful not to land anywhere near the hamster. She heard an angry chattering from the scared creature as she laid there, trying to throw up some kind of shield against it. Unknown to her, as if by some form of bad habit she was muttering that she was sorry, so so sorry. Slowly she pushed herself up and looked around to make sure that no animals were around her feet before pushing herself up.

Abby watched as Kailey stepped towards the door, before feeling something. A warning deep down inside. Her eyes darted towards the doorway as Kailey began to near it and she saw a flash of fur. "Watch-" Abby started, moving forward. But even as she spoke Kailey stumbled and fell forward. Abby reached forward to soften the other woman's landing, but Kailey had already fell and started to mutter apologies. Abby moved over to her sde.

"There's nothing to be sorry for. Not at all," Abby insisted. She smiled gently at Kailey and brushed some hair out of the girl's face. Then Abby reached for Kailey's hand and grabbed it to help pull her up. When Kailey was finally standing, Abby still didn't release the hand and smiled at the writer once more.

"Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself? Do you need a bandaid?" Abby asked, clearly worried over Kailey's fall.

Kailey couldn't look at Abby as the girl helped her up. "I-I think I frightened your poor hamster out of ten years of it's life, but besides that I think I'll be fine," she answered, gripping the other girl's hand gentle. It was like some kind of line to keep her from falling over again. She didn't want to let it go. "Please, can we just get out of here for an hour or so? I-I need to clear my head." She was trembling a little from the fright that leeched into her from the scared hamster and from fear that she may have almost killed one of the girl's precious pets. This was going to be a hell of a few days. It would test her limits and her mind, but at the same time she didn't mind that. It would give her just enough taste of the outside again before she went back to her one room home of an office and get used to that again.

Abby kept a tight hold on Kailey's hand and a gentle smile on her face. Kailey looked to be very shaken up and Abby could see the reluctance to release her hand. She didn't mind comforting Kailey in any way possible. Abby nodded as Kailey asked to leave and turned, only to spot the hamster huddled against the wall. Abby shook her head and knelt to scoop him up, without releasing Kailey.

"Oh, Chewie, I'm sorry. I should've reacted quicker. You're okay," Abby murmured to the small animal. She'd found Chewie out on the side of the road after his owner had decided he didn't want him anymore and simply dumped the cage there. Abby had rescued him and brought him home and taken care of him. Even as Abby cradled Chewie in her arms his shaking slowly subsided and he snuggled closer to her. Abby smiled down at the small ball of fur before turning to Kailey.

"Let's go for that walk now! I think Chewie's okay," Abby said cheerfully. She gently led the way out of the bathroom, this time through the opposite door into her room. Tanks and cages lined the room and a few hung from the ceiling, each with a different animal. Although cage wasn't the right word since they all had their doors open. Even the tanks had little ramps or ladders that the creature inside could use to get out. Abby gently deposited Chewie in the one nearest the bathroom door, then brought a finger to her lips and shushed all the animals in the room that were staring at her. The bed was bare, with only a single pillow and a threadbare blanket covering it. There were no pictures on the wall and only one framed on her bedside table. In it there was a young girl playing with a woman. Abby and her mother. Abby headed for the door that would lead to the rest of the house, still holding Kailey's hand, and made her way through it. She ledKailey through the hallways towards the front door.

The moment that she'd seen all of the animals in the room she had frozen in terror of being bombarded again with so many voices, but the young woman's grasp that tugged her gently along brought her out of the room without incident and Kailey looked back at the room with gratitude. She had seen the small motion for the animal's to be quiet that Abby had performed and she was truly grateful for her actions. Despite that she vowed never to enter the room again. She was even happier once she was outside and away from most of the animal's. Her grip on the other girl's hand lessened but didn't release. At least, not until she noticed that their hands were pressed gently together. Coughing to displace her embarrassment, she slowly slipped her hand free, looking shyly up at Abby. "Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel like a teacher leading a daft student," she said softly. her gaze apologetic as she looked back at the house they had just exited and swallowed. Her stuff was in there so she'd have to return to get them, but could she enter a house that would yell for her attention every passing moment?

Abby brought Kailey out the front door and into the street quickly, determined to get as much space as possible between Kailey and the animals. It looked like she needed it, anyway. Abby felt the grip loosen on her hand but didn't move her own away and instead turned to smile cheerfully at Kailey. Abby giggled as Kailey finally did release her hand and apologized.

"You say sorry too much, silly! If I'd minded I would've said so. 'Sides, I felt more like I was being an especially kind teacher. I think I pulled off my role rather well, don't you? But honestly, darling, next time you play a daft student do try and be a little more daft. You simply looked too clever to really be mistaken for one," Abby joked. She noticed Kailey glance back at the house nervously and moved so she was standing next to the writer. "I am sorry myself, actually. I should've realized the house would've been a bit much for you."

"Don't worry! I know a super duper great hotel! In fact I'll show you right now, and bring your stuff around later," Abby told Kailey. She reached for her hand once more and grasped it.

"Come on, slowpoke. No need to be moping around all day. Are you hungry?" Abby asked, beginning to move down the street and tugging Kailey along with her.

"You had no way of knowing about my gift," Kailey said, waving her hand in a dismissal before her hand was taken once more. She squeaked as she was tugged along behind Abby and tried to keep up. This girl liked to run everywhere it seemed. Unable to help ehrself kailey laughed a little as she trotted to walk at Abby's side. "Please, I don't need a hotel. I should learn how to fend my mind off from animals on a daily basis. I"ll stay at your house. If you promise to teach me."

She squeezed the hand that Abby had taken before looking away, a blush taking hold of her cheeks. She called a greeting to a dog that ran into an alleyway but pulled back when he tried to say anything back. "And food would be nice. I haven't... Well I haven't even eaten today really."

"Silly Kailey! I always know. Anyway, are you sure you wanna stay at my house? I'm friends with the manager at the hotel and she's super sweet and wouldn't mind giving you a room at all. But then again I guess learning to face your fears is always beat, right? That's what my mom used to say, anyway. It's why she started taking me to pet stores all the time 'cause she said she'd been avoiding what she could do for too long. I hope I'll be a good teacher. I've never taught anyone before!" Abby rambled on cheerfully, passing over her first comment nonchalantly. It was true, though, that she usually knew. The place deep down inside that warned her about stuff also gave her funny feelings when someone who had a gift was around, and Abby had felt the same sensation with her mother enough to identify Kailey's ability. It was partly why she had even so eager to bring the writer to her house.

Abby smiled even wider as Kailey squeezed her hand. She was always happy to help, even if it just meant giving Kailey an excuse to keep holding her hand by taking hold of Kailey's. Or offering food when the poor girl was starving. The news that Kailey had yet to eat today made Abby shake her head and tsked softly. She turned and poked Kailey in the stomach with a little giggle.

"Not eating is bad for you! Look at that, all skin and bone. We need to fatten you up," Abby scolded her cheerfully.

Kailey's free hand grabbed her stomach where she'd been poked and blushed a tad. "I had the meeting and I woke up late. I didn't have time to eat. I had to come meet you for the meeting and all," she said in her defense before shaking her head. "And I don't have to be fattened up. I'm just as fat as I'm meant to be." She was started to feel more comfortable with Abby holding her hand, though she didn't know why.

"Just, just lead the way to the food. I really am getting hungry," Kailey admitted though.

Abby watched as Kailey's cheeks turned red again. She seemed to be doing that a lot, and Abby found it rather adorable. She giggled a little even as Kailey started speaking. Abby kept her eyes on Kailey, giving her all of her attention. She was always like that, treating the person she was talking to like they were the most important thing in the world. To Abby, they were. When someone was talking to her then they deserved her undivided attention. That had always been Abby's way of thinking about it.

"But you were right on time!" Abby reminded Kailey before adding "I'm taking you there right now, silly."

The young woman follow easily, her gaze on the ground so that she almost didn't meet anyone's gaze. She was glad of this only up to when she noticed that someone had turned in their walk to watch the two girls walk by. She looked down quickly and let her hair--as short as it was--fall forward to hid her flaming cheeks. This wasn't normal for her. Normal was being in her office with no one finding anything about her to make them look at her twice. Either way, she was now being stared at for lords knew why and she felt rather uncomfortable about it.

"Is it far?" she asked, looking around to give the impression of being hungry rather than uncomfortable.