Amnesia: The Break

• Thread starter Jae- The nonexistant
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex nodded and watched the ball, noticing it didn't make it all the way across. He stepped forwards. "Becka!" He couldn't reach it in time. Come on turn around! He lunged, hitting it over the net and falling into the mud, sliding a little and laughing as he stood back up, moving back to the corner, dripping in mud.

Lacey scowled, hitting the ball back over. She didn't care what Alex was or if he could play, she was going to win this.

Becka had been expecting the ball to cross the net at any moment, but it didn't come. She heard her name, but was watching the girl on the other side, when she finally turned it was only to be splashed with mud and the ball popping up right in front of her heading back over the net. So she spun back around watching Lacey returning the ball just above the net. She and Brittany both jumped, Brittany's extra height allowing her to tip the ball down directly on the other side of the net.

Alex smiled, watching the ball carefully as Lacey tried to spike it. It was returned, and it passed over the net a few times. Then, Alex saw it just before it passed the net. "Becka! SPIKE!" He said, smiling and stepping forwards. Come on..it's the perfect shot!! In just the few minutes of play he had practically learned the entire sport. It was one of his few talents...yet it wasn't one he was too proud of.

Becka's eyes were locked on the ball. This time she responded immediately to her name pushing off from the ground already swinging her arm, fully extending it so that her hand just cleared the net and connected with the ball. It reversed directions plummeting into the mud. "Yes!"

Alex clapped his hands. "Nice one Becka!" He said.

Lacey was infuriated as she picked the ball out of the mud.

Alex was quickly gaining respect as an opponent and well on his way to an all out grudge from Lacey. Becka's team made note of his simple praise and started making plans to show off.
"Rotate clockwise." Becka said for Alex benefit without glancing back as they shifted positions for a new server. She knew better than to turn her back when Lacey had a ball and that look of destruction on her face.

Alex stepped forwards as he was told and glanced around at the new team position, deciding how that would affect the game. He then glanced at the other team, a small smirk on his face at Lacey's look. "Let's get this game done." He mumbled to himself, determined to help the team win. He knew what it was like to play against a team that thought they where better than everyone.

Lacey catapulted the ball over the net to the server. Becka was now in the middle of the net, Alex to her left and from the right came whispers of "Let's do this." Becka glanced at her and nodded, agreeing to set for her, but whispered back "head in the game."
The serve just cleared the net and was easily returned with greater force towards the back row. The center kept it off the ground but not high enough as it whizzed towards Becka at eye level, reflexively she hit it upwards, almost like a set, but not to anyone "Help it, help it" she stammered backing into the net to leave space for someone to get under it. Show off NOW! she thought looking to the girl.

Alex realized what Becka was trying to do. "come on.." he whispered.
The girl stepped towards the ball, jumping up and spiking it.
Alex clapped. "Nice one!" He smiled.
The girl blushed a little and returned to her place, the ball had stuck itself in the mud on Lacey's side.

Becka beamed at her "Perfect timing!" completely relieved that she had been on her game and made the play.
The next serve lifted over the net high enough the girl in back started to scramble farther forward than usual to return it leaving a temporary open spot in one corner.

Alex smiled and returned to his position. He was sure this game was a win. He stepped back as the other girl stepped forwards, closing the empty spot a little. He kept his eye on the ball, making sure it would not hit the ground on their side.

Seeing the switch one of Lacey's girls targeted that side where two players had moved from position. She faked a deep shot watching Alex in the back corner, but spiked it directly down over the net. Becka watched her teammate lunge forward trying to get close enough to play net but the ball squished into the ground in front of her. Becka was right there to pull her back onto her feet, "Good play, that was intense!" she grinned then looked at Alex "Nice switch." Becka grabbed the ball tossing it under the net as the team rotated putting Lacey face to face with her sister through the net.

Alex nodded, patting the girl's shoulder who was pulled to her feet. "Nice. You've got this." He smiled and moved to his position, glancing at Lacey and her evil smirk and Becka. "Come on..we can do this team!" He told the girls on his team, a fake smile to those who nodded and a shake of the head to those who just giggled. He sighed. Maybe this was a bad idea..I only seem to be distracting the players.. He sighed internally, but his eyes where glued to the ball, his face a set determination. He was going to make up for his mistakes.

Lacey was staring her down. Becka tried to ignore it, waiting for the other team to serve, but her smile was so twisted Becka couldn't help but notice. Their eyes locked through the net "I've always wanted to try it." Lacey whispered, dropping her eyes for the slightest moment. Becka knew exactly what she was talking about, the story of a prank their father had pulled in High school while out playing volleyball with some friends.
"It's so simple" she could hear his voice laughing "I just reached under the net at the last moment, grabbing the bottom of his shorts and held on. He jumped up for the ball and left his shorts behind. He didn't spike for the rest of the game! I just had to flinch and he would cower in fear of jumping out of his own shorts." It seemed funnier against strangers than as an unspoken threat.
Becka glared. Lacey's eyes darted from her to Alex and back again"One of you two." Becka read on her lips. "Lacey, don't you dare." she hissed through clenched teeth. The ball sailed over unnoticed and landed in the mud directly behind Becka.

Alex paused a moment. "Becka!" He called. "What's that?!" He pointed at the ball, looking confused. One of the girls picked it up, tossing it to Alex, who caught it. "Becka, pay attention!" He said, his tone slightly reprimanding, partially soft as he tossed the ball towards her, hoping she'd catch it.
The girls on the other team where giggling and snickering at Becka.

The giggling caught her attention first, pulling her eyes off of Lacey. Turning towards Alex's voice she saw his toss at the last second and bungled the catch, sending the ball bouncing under the net instead. Her face turned red,though whether from embarassment or anger was impossible to tell. "Sorry." She said almost absentmindedly before facing the net, facing Lacey "I'm ready. Let's go." her tone was demanding. Over came the serve and she was ready, setting it for the girl beside her to spike back across the net. 'Im your problem, pick on me. Leave him out of this' she thought.

Alex sighed. "It's fine...let's get this done." He said, turning to watch the ball. The girl beside her did as planned, spiking it right across. It was missed, landing in the mud easily before picked back up. "Great spike." he told the girl, who blushed. Alex turned back to the net, realizing most of the other team was smiling, none of them disappointed by the miss. This made him a little nervous.

Becka noticed their smiles and wanted to scream. Alex was rotating to the center of the court right in front of Lacey. She turned towards him in wide-eyed desperation "Alex, don't touch it! Give them the point. Better yet, miss the serve." she added spinning on her heal to face the girl too eager to show off to consider such a suggestion.

Alex looked at her really confused. "Becka..I thought the point of the game was not to give them the point?" What is she doing? That's not how the game is played...at least not as far as I know...which isn't much.. he glanced back at the other team, at Lacey. What are they smiling about?! I'm so confused... he sighed. At least he was going to try and do this. He glanced over at Becka again. "Becka. I'm going for it. I'm not letting you lose." He said. He wasn't going to let her down..he had no reason to.

Before Becka could argue the girl served the ball, it couldn't have been a better shot. One of the giggling girls plunged into the mud just managing to keep the ball in play. Becka took several steps closer to the center, her attention darting between Lacey and the ball. If she could get it first, she could give up the point, get Lacey out of arms reach of Alex, and finally get her head back in the game.

Lacey couldn't stop smiling. 'Oh Becka, you make it too easy. All I have to do is flinch.' Maybe she would even end up doing it for real, there would never be a better chance than today.

Status
Not open for further replies.