Amnesia: The Break

• Thread starter Jae- The nonexistant
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex didn't looked away from the window. "What's a bunch of people who are using you for a little fame gonna do?" He sighed. "You've got people that'll always have your back and are there for you..." He trailed off, shaking his head. "Nothing." He muttered, suddenly despair rising that he actually uttered the words aloud.

The windshield wipers swiped back and forth, the only sound in a car lost in thought "No you're right." She started after a moment "Sorry, I wasn't thinking about all the 'best friends' that just, take, and get in the way. It's kind of pathetic to think of the whole school acting like that…we are all just spectators to you." She did not know what else to say, she was as guilt as anyone else.

Alex sighed. "Eventually you get used to it...but that's when you get to be a jerk." He stared out the window. "Don't mention this to anyone though...K? I don't need them jumping up my back." He looked at her, emotionless.

She shook her head, "Hero slaughter isn't really that appealing, I'm better at ignoring you. At least I can keep a secret better than everyone else. Ug how did you turn me into 'one of them', I hate that!" she squirmed at the thought. "If keeping a very early morning conversation to ourselves is all it takes to have your back on this, then I've got it." Her fingers were clenched around the steering wheel and her jaw set, as she pulled into the driveway of the house with the black door. Becka was determined to never be lumped with 'spectators' when she could be better than them.

Alex looked over at her. "Sorry.." He muttered, rubbing a tired eye. Thanks again, for the ride Becka." He opened the door, stepping out into the rain and running towards the door, fumbling with his keys to open the door.

"No problem." Becka replied as he climbed out. Backing down the driveway she angled the headlights at the front door until he found the key and she found a cd for company. The drive home was interesting. Plans for the volleyball game kept getting mixed up with a rant about people who show up but never bring their game, which ended up being all about having the best and some of the worst friends; then wondering how in the world Alex made it from day to day; which looped directly back to being a spectator and determining to win leading to thoughts about the volleyball game again. Collapsing into bed sleep mercifully stopped her circular line of thought.

Alex watched her drive off before stepping in the door, taking his shirt off as he closed the door behind him. He hung the shirt off and changed his jeans into a pair of shorts, collapsing on the bed with a sigh. He stared blankly at the ceiling for several minutes before falling asleep, his mind full of the activities he was stuck with the next day. His phone, the alarm set an hour early, was sitting beside his bed, the clock ticking down to waking time.

The mattress convulsed. Ripped from sleep Becka flailed, grabbing for sheets and pillows in a panic. The pounding of Lacey's feet launching from the bed onto the floor was all too familiar. Becka threw her head back onto the mattress releasing her death grip on the covers. "Keep your feet off my bed." She moaned. "I was so glad get your text at 1:22 AM I just had to return the favor, see you later." Lacey crooned tramping across the room to leave for 6 am practice. Rolling onto her side Becka glared at the clock and pulled a blanket over her head. Her heart beat was still racing. Throwing the cover back she climbed out of bed and turned on the radio. The start of another day.

Alex woke up at 5:30 am. Sighing, he sat up and threw the covers off, pulling on a t-shirt and slipping his keys into his short's pocket and grabbing his phone, blasting music in his headphones before going outside, starting his morning jog. The sky was dark and it was still wet, but it was nice. He jogged down the road, taking his usual path and waving at various people that started their day. The more he ran the more energy he seemed to get, until sleep seemed to disappear.

Becka took even less time than usual to get ready; she would be a mess by the end of lunch anyway. Squeezing into the clamor of a coffee shop, she curled up in an overstuffed chair. One knee sticking up, an arm draped over it, the other leg folded in front of her holding an open literature book. She read and watched the barrage of customers until texts started trickling in from friends just waking up to her mud volleyball messages. She sighed, sending reply after reply, rubbing her temple, trying to get enough people to commit. Throwing the book into the chair she got up and stood in line for coffee. She was going to have to drag one of them into it, forfeiting to Lacey was unfathomable.

Alex jogged towards the center of town, towards his favorite coffee shop. He could use some warm liquid to warm up a little. He slowed down a little as he got closer to the center of town. When he reached there, he looked around the outside. It looked nice. He stepped inside, smiling at the warm air, invitingly. He sat down silently at a booth, kicking back and relaxing a little, music still in his ears.

Becka slit a cardboard jacket snugly around the cup and paused, looking back again. Her eyes fell on someone so familiar she had not noticed when he passed through her peripheral vision; it really was Alex Vine stretched out quite contented in that booth. Her eyes narrowed as she rocked back on one foot, staring, and considering new possibilities for her problem.

Alex realized his music stopped and he pulled his phone out, surfing through his library before settling on a rock song, closing his eyes again and smiling, his head nodding to the beat. He was completely unaware of being watched, and completely unaware that it was Becka.

Becka advanced on the booth an instant after he smiled. Intentionally knocking a knee against the table to send it wobbling as she sat down on the edge of the other bench. "Would you like to try our pulled pork special?" She said, knowing he couldn't hear her yet.

Alex opened his eyes, looking at her a little confused before sitting up, taking his headphones out. "uhhh..."

"I've never seen you this happy in a restaurant." She answered instead, taking a sip and watching him over her cup.

Alex rolled his eyes. "You've also only seen me at work and school." He countered, stretching a little and crossing his arms. "Why'd you come over here?" He asked, knowing it had to be more than to just talk.

"True." She acknowledged before folding her hands I a rather business like fashion upon the table "Ok, here's the favor I want from you, I need a mud volleyball player. And at this point, I don't even care if they can play, I just need someone to stand in the mud."

Alex thought about it a moment and shrugged. "I can stand in mud." He said. "why?" He put his phone in his pocket, slightly interested in why she sounded slightly desperate.

Becka perked up, she hadn't actually expected a volunteer, "Because I have a game against 'Lacey and Friends' and too many of mine don't feel like getting messy today. And it's the perfect chance to win because all the varsity players are going to be exhausted after conditioning this morning anyway!" By the end of her spiel she was leaning over the table hands waving expressively through the air. "I can totally take her, but if I don't have 6 players it's a forfeit." She finished, finally taking a breath and sitting back.

Status
Not open for further replies.