American Paragons (Modern Fantasy / Superhero RP)

• Thread starter BrattyCommissar
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrattyCommissar

Original poster
Multiple Interest Checks are GO!

Hello, I'm Elendra. I was going to not post this yet, but, eh, fuck it. This is an RP built in a setting I've been working on a for a while. The structure will be episodic with a clear defined mission objective, with more open ended downtime between missions.

There will be some sort of trait or mechanical system behind things. It will not be complicated, beyond your picking of a few stats or traits, you may not even ever notice it.

Character death may happen, but can generally be avoided by making reasonable decisions, staying active, and pushing things forward with the RP. Mostly by reasonable decisions.

Also, while you may see this RP and be like 'Oh I can be a dark anti-social anti-hero who hates everyone!' or 'Oh I can be the totally psychotic super villain who murder-rapes babies', just stop. In this RP, you're going to be one of the 'good guys'. If you want to be a villain, or a 90s anti-hero, I'm sure you can find another RP that'd be more your style.

So, if you're interested in this, let me know below!

That said…

It's 1993, the level of technology and society is roughly what you would be familiar to out of character.

Roughly.

You see, since the end of the Great Depression and the first Blast Event, mutants, super science, magic, demons, and more have become a growing part of life, as superheroes and supervillains grow and spread out from various sites of great tragedy around the world. A handful of these Blast Events have occurred in the world, in Japan, Ukraine, Bolivia, Egypt, and the United States so far. As of 1993, the United States experienced another blast event, setting off another wave of AMERICAN HEROES to FIGHT CRIME, and maybe ultimately join the SECOND COLD WAR as they prove themselves loyal to their GREAT COUNTRY (greatness debatable).

In the end, YOU, the player, will have a character go from NOBODY to GODDAMN HERO.

The world needs new heroes. You ready for this?

Okay so, you really don't need to know the full history of everything that's been going on. I'm sure it'd bore you to read through it all. Because it's long. Besides, if I just told you it, what would there be to explore? So instead, here's a synopsis that gives you just enough to work off of and get going. You can and will learn more through the RP itself, and add to and influence the world and it's lore.

In 1939, an event called a 'Blast Event' occurred for the first time in Kuakilla, turning it from a standard city in Illinois into something entirely different. Super powered individuals were found in the wreckage of the Bishop District, amongst numerous dead. From there, various organizations for good or for evil got their hands on these individuals. Some became heroes, and others villains.

Due to recruitment measures, many of these individuals were spread around the world in World War 2, shifting sides or remaining loyal as their own moral compass dictated. In the end, the Soviet and American blocs of power each had their share of super powered individuals; from the initial blast, subsequent ones, and various experiments in replicating the effects of them.

However, as of 1984, Bolivia has become openly Nazist; various cadres of expat Germans having used their connections to traitorous super villains to conquer the nation in secret as the Cold War went on and alter the genetic code of it inhabitants for the sake of purity. Yes, as it turns out, Nazis aren't very nice, and with super villains working with them, they did not nice things until they felt strong and secure enough to flip the world the bird and reveal themselves again. Just finishing off the First Cold War, a second one began as three powerful and nuclear armed nations stand off against each other, although as with World War II, the Soviets and Americans can agree on 'Fuck Nazis'.

The Second Cold War endures to this day.

Crime used to be exciting, according to the older generations. Heroes and villains fought in the streets in spectacles that civilians were able to watch. Even when it was dangerous, it was fun and exciting, and people would come out to see it for the most part. Sure, there were villains that were too dangerous to watch, but others? It was obvious that they were in part doing the crime just to perform.

However, crime has changed. In the 1980s, a new wave of crime has begun to spread across America. Gone is the fabled glamour of the old ways, as both heroes and villains begin to die off, or move on to bigger things than crime and crime fighting. In its wake is a less public friendly type of crime, street drugs, muggings, and the like. Still crime, but ugly crime. At the front of this are the Ironmen, druggies strung out on a drug, Irongate, which the media decries as a super serum drug introduced by fascists or communists to corrupt the youth of America. With skin of metal and tempers of molten steel, the Ironmen are the biggest threat to lawful authorities inside of Kuakilla.

In 1992, a super villain known as Morpheus appeared in the public eye again, the first time since he singlehandedly instated himself as Emperor of the United States for a few hour period in 1951. He warns the American public that they will experience another Blast Event in a year's time, before he vanishes again, leaving only his message spread across the internet and broadcast by different American news networks.

The warning was not heeded. Instead, the warning was generally treated as a trick, something to cover something else up; Morpheus is a supervillain after all, and so for a while the public was wary but resumed normal life. But that was a mistake, as people later learned, because as it turned out, Morpheus wasn't lying. In the same spot where the first Blast Event occurred, another one was to go off.

And then it did.

White Fence, a governmental project built on the ruins of Kuakilla after the first Blast Event to try to bring normalcy back to the region, is a heavily residential area. In 1993, 54 years after the first Blast Event, it happened again. Many lives were changed, and many more were ended.

Your character's life, was one of the former. Standing, miraculously alive, in the wreckage that was their home, their place of business, or just where they happened to be at the time, there is only ruin around them. Ruin, and the knowledge that their life has been changed forever, and at a great cost.

Whether or not they could live up to the expectations that would fall upon them for surviving aside, there was no going back now.

Given that your character has likely lived in Kuakilla for a while, they'd likely know the basic layout. So here; have a map and some text blurbs!

jJTJNJS.jpg

Rook Island
The most densely populated part of Kuakilla. Primarily commercial and residential areas. Skyscrapers, ports, railways, airports, town hall, etc are here. It also contains the mock landmark, the universally avoided and ironically named Utopia. Also contains Kuakilla's maximum security prison, a variety of clubs, convention centres, stadiums, and more. If someone is coming to Kuakilla to visit, they're usually just there to see Rook Island, unless they go to some of its other stranger locales instead.

Three King Islands
The two larger of the King Islands are primarily residential and industrial areas. Infrastructure is less for people to move around, and more to transport goods. The smallest of the King Islands is almost uninhabited, not suited for much life due to the incredibly localized pollution put out by the solitary Three Kings Powerplant.

Bishop District
The largest part of Kuakilla, perhaps covering half of the city, is mostly the metropolitan area. Divided into numerous neighborhoods, it's primarily residential and commercial in its zoning. Suburban sprawl makes up a good portion of the district. Also contains portions of The Fortress, and all of the Animal Preserve and the Carnival. Used to include what is now White Fence.

Knight's Barrens
A strangely barren and arid stretch of land. There are few ranches here, but otherwise it's primarily a handful of mines and many more industrial stretches. Chemical plants, steel mills, and the like. The land's apparent inability to be pleasant has made it the receptacle of anything the city can't put elsewhere due to 'Not In My Backyard' initiatives. Most industries here are subsidiaries of Moonlit Steel Inc. Contains the rest of The Fortress, and the Kuakillan Indian Reservation.

Blue Moon District
Sometimes called The Pawn because of the time that it was nearly run by a mob family from the back room of a pawn shop. Similar to Bishop District, in that it's primarily suburbs, although it's home to some distilleries and breweries that make it a popular tourist place. Blue Moon District is known for being the food capital of Kuakilla.

White Fence
Built on top of the ruins left behind after the first Blast Event, White Fence was modeled as a suburban paradise for the ideal nuclear family of the 1950s. The notion and area did not age well, and in 1982, it was revealed that for the first several years it was actually a government research project on Blast Events until the project was ended due to no results. This is public knowledge, and a subject of many jokes at the government's expense.

Utopia
The scariest place in Kuakilla, and for some time it was universally avoided. The entirety of it is walled off, a wall of concrete and bone erected around it. Views inside show a very simplistic, almost Arcadian, way of life. However, looking into Utopia gives the viewer a feeling of paranoia and fear. In 1953, combined military and super hero forces attempted to get into Utopia. None that entered survived, and no further attempts to get in were done by government forces. Now the walls around Utopia are graffitied without any apparent reprisal, but it's usually avoided just to be safe.

The Animal Preserve
A large portion of Bishop District that is a family friendly place to come see a variety of animals that are endangered or extinct in the wild. It's officially privately owned, but is subsidized by the government.

The Three Kings Powerplant
The only powerplant of Kuakilla, has provided enough power to keep the entire city lit up since it was completed in 1903. No new powerplants have had to been made, only substations and other infrastructure of that sort have been made to help move the power from the plant to the city. A marvel of engineering, to be sure, it has also despoiled the smallest of the Three King Islands to the point of acidic rains and dead dirt and smog. The pollution seems to not drift far from the island, however.

The Fortress
While not as dangerous as Utopia, the minarchist transhumanist society of The Fortress sits off to the side of the suburbs, closer to Moonlit Steel's facilities than to any home. Technically an illegal institution, it's generally given a breadth of space so long as it doesn't actively oppose the government, which is usually the case for it.

Indian Reservation
A misleading name, Kuakilla's Indian Reservation is unlike other ones in the country. It's a privately owned stretch of land. Specifically, it's owned and provided for by Moonlit Steel Inc. Why they do it isn't quite clear. It's presumably a massive tax write off.

The Carnival
Another one of Kuakilla's sub-societies, The Carnival is an artsy society, now full of bohemians, hippies, and hipsters. Originally an ethnic neighborhood made by lower class eastern European immigrants, The Carnival is built upon the old Kuakilla cathedral and what was once a French fort. Now it's a haven of runaways and artistic sorts who need to 'get away' from society. Also does have the eponymous carnival in their land, with rides, attractions, and shows.
[/hr][/hr]

My body is moist

I love superheroes, so you can tag me as interested.

I'm down. This has that sort of gritty real-world feel to it.

You have my interest.

I don't understand why you felt the need to tag me in that post, but good for you, you have aspirations, way to go. :applause:

My body is moist

I love superheroes, so you can tag me as interested.
interested @Mr Allen J

I want to play the main antagonist! @Jorick
Uh, confused as to why you tagged that @Jorick, but no. No being the antagonist. For multiple reasons. One of them set out in one of the first paragraphs. No villain PCs. The antagonists are going to be villains. Surely you can see how being an antagonist will be hard to do with that in place.

My character's a former villain. He is known as "The First One". He possesses extremely high intelligence, enormous endurance and toughness, in addition to possessing incredibly high strength and the exo-skeleton he inhabits makes him FAR stronger and durable, and is equipped with sensors, a cloaking device, a Humanoid shape-shifting mode, a bio-medical scanner which can automatically inject medications, including adrenal and testosterone boosters. One of his strongest abilities is his ability to heal incredibly quickly. Also, he is a magic-user, somewhat like Doctor Doom in the way that his magical powers are secondary to his pure cerebral abilities of just thinking things out, and the use of technology. He even learned from Simon Magus, of the Bible, before Simon was killed for trying to buy God's power with money. (Smooth Simon. Real smooth).

He's based a little bit on Apocalypse, from the X-Men franchise, with very important differences.

Information:
When it comes to magical powers, he is similar to Constantine from DC. He is much stronger with magic-using than Constantine, but not as powerful as master magicians like Doctor Doom, Baron Mordo, Zatanna (DC), Doctor Strange, etcetera. He knows how to conjure magical energy attacks from his hands, coat an entire sky scraper with ice, petrification, an explosion of fire, etcetera, but if he decided to just become a Super Hero as a Sorcerer on his own, he would be knocked down a full tier or more.

As it stands now, he is an Ex-Villain and currently trying to atone for his evil deeds.

My character's a former villain. He is known as "The First One". He possesses extremely high intelligence, enormous endurance and toughness, in addition to possessing incredibly high strength and the exo-skeleton he inhabits makes him FAR stronger and durable, and is equipped with sensors, a cloaking device, a Humanoid shape-shifting mode, a bio-medical scanner which can automatically inject medications, including adrenal and testosterone boosters. One of his strongest abilities is his ability to heal incredibly quickly. Also, he is a magic-user, somewhat like Doctor Doom in the way that his magical powers are secondary to his pure cerebral abilities of just thinking things out, and the use of technology. He even learned from Simon Magus, of the Bible, before Simon was killed for trying to buy God's power with money. (Smooth Simon. Real smooth).

He's based a little bit on Apocalypse, from the X-Men franchise, with very important differences.

Information:
When it comes to magical powers, he is similar to Constantine from DC. He is much stronger with magic-using than Constantine, but not as powerful as master magicians like Doctor Doom, Baron Mordo, Zatanna (DC), Doctor Strange, etcetera. He knows how to conjure magical energy attacks from his hands, coat an entire sky scraper with ice, petrification, an explosion of fire, etcetera, but if he decided to just become a Super Hero as a Sorcerer on his own, he would be knocked down a full tier or more.

As it stands now, he is an Ex-Villain and currently trying to atone for his evil deeds.
Whoa there cowboy

I appreciate the gusto, but wait until there's an OOC and the aforementioned 'trait or stat system thing' before you get yourself / your character all worked up.

I must say, I find this roleplay to be quite intriguing, and would very much like to present my interest. That is, of course, if you have not yet had just about enough of me.

(cuz that's okay too)

*raises hand*

*fleshy tentacle arms grow out of back and also raise themselves*

Yes please.

Status
Not open for further replies.