Am I the only one?

Usually I don't give much of a damn about post lenght as long as I'm not given less than a paragraph or a never-ending wall of text. Since I'm not the most literate writer myself and my English isn't always perfect either, I don't feel comfortable with making exact demands about post lenght or content to whoever I might be RPing with. However, I do get frustrated if I'm not given much to work with and seriously bad grammar is always guaranteed to get me quit.

I tend to write about at least as much as my partner(s) and I try to add some details to my writing without getting my partner bored with unnecessary fillers. Though I do still have a lot to learn about writing and I always turn away from RPs if I feel like I might not be able to fill the requirements the GM might have every time I post.

Also, I once RPed with someone on a different sites who just posted one-liners. I didn't feel comfortable with posting a huge amount in return so I just tried to keep my posts in a couple of sentences even if I would've wanted to type more. That didn't work too well as I got bored with the RP pretty quickly and ended up quitting. I guess I just got frustrated since I tried to write in a manner that just wasn't mine and it wasn't fun anymore.

Anyway, lenght is a nice thing when it comes to posts but I've always thought content and grammar to be more important.

Well judging from what a lot of you have said, it would seem that overall perhaps I am simply too out of the forum format and I need to practice on it again.

I used to average about 6-8 paragraphs a post in my "prime" as it were, but when I changed RP formats, it felt useless and unimportant. I've been honed to only delve to a certain limit, and fill my mind and spirit with the thoughts and emotions of my characters. These things were not to share unless they would be spoken aloud (which a lot of times were), but instead to be felt by yourself to help you be your character, not simply write about them. (Also, going too much in depth with what was happening in your surroundings was also a "no-no" highly liable to get you with a very fussy Plot, or in terms with this site GM. The world was not for you to control, only to exist in.) Which this, I suppose, hit a sweet spot for me. I'm extremely "simulist" in nature (in reference to the three part game theory model). Narrative has become important only to the point where it helps me feel like my character and to keep the overall pace of events exciting.

However, I can work on this. I do enjoy writing and reading as well. Perhaps this style is why I've been struggling with writer's block on my personal projects. But I fear it may take me a while.

I realize that the best way to practice this is to throw myself into a RP here that has such specifications, but I'm afraid to mess it up. (lol) From someone who's had several RPs pretty much totally killed by people who couldn't keep up with the requested style, or just derailed it to some other direction, this is the last thing I want to do to anybody.

Me personally I like to do the longer posts but that is just me. When looking for a roleplay I don't care about how much someone else writes. What I do care about is if they have a problem with me doing, as some refer to it, walls of words. I like writing, I like to convey things within my writing. I also like writing with others but by no means am I looking for post length or anything of that nature. My focus is having fun with a plot.

Mkvibe, you should do what makes you happy. Write whatever length you want, have fun with desired plots. You can't please everyone for they all have different styles, likes, wants. You will find partners whom reflect off you. Practice as you said, you will get back into it.

Reactions: LunaValentine
I haven't much love for length minimums.

It shouldn't be a deal breaker, but sometimes I have to restrain myself from closing an OOC thread instantly if I see a requirement of anything more than a one-to-two paragraphs. And the irony is that my posts tend toward pages-length even when I cut a lot out! But I like to always have the option(or, sometimes, goal) of a short, punchy, evocative, single-para post that jump-starts the reader's brain to reflexively fill in omitted details.

I understand the intent of length minimums, but I find it better to just let someone post what they feel inspired to post while encouraging them to try to give as clearly as possible an idea of what's happening(something even a lengthy post can fail to do as I sometimes see even in my own writing). Ask them to fill in details if the post is truly so sparse as to make replying to it difficult. Let them grow into more detailed writing through the process. I prefer that approach to drudging through a post inflated with uninspired details.

And concerning one-liners, sometimes I think, I'd like to see exceptions in brief PC-to-PC conversation. Sometimes I'd like to just see snappy repartee between PCs in RPs--with things like a third PC chiming in with a witty unsolicited comment just as happens in real life and the media that inspires me. To that end, if I GM a game, I think I will tentatively allow "one liners" so long as it doesn't become post-count inflating pages of boring, voices-in-a-vacuum dialog by the two players with the most free time on their hands(which does turn me off).

• Love
Reactions: LunaValentine
Personally I don't think we should make large posts just to fatten up the paragraphs. But that's probably just me. I have trouble staying with the same paragraph more than 3 or 4 lines, so I chop mine up into smaller paragraphs - or simplify my point in short. To make it up, I try to increase my vocabulary so that it doesn't look as amateur?

\nods. Yeah I can see where you all are coming from.

[...]

And concerning one-liners, sometimes I think, I'd like to see exceptions in brief PC-to-PC conversation. Sometimes I'd like to just see snappy repartee between PCs in RPs--with things like a third PC chiming in with a witty unsolicited comment just as happens in real life and the media that inspires me. To that end, if I GM a game, I think I will tentatively allow "one liners" so long as it doesn't become post-count inflating pages of boring, voices-in-a-vacuum dialog by the two players with the most free time on their hands(which does turn me off).

I couldn't agree more. I really feel like that sometimes, the actual conversation is the most important part of what is happening in the scene. To add extra information and detail can dilute it and makes it less impactful. And agreed, it has a time and a place; it should not be most of the RP.