Am I the only one?

M

mkayvibe

Original poster
Okay. So, I realize I am extremely new to this site (joined a couple days ago), and too I'm a tad rusty to the forum RP scene...but, am I the only one annoyed with all this quantity/length demand(s) for every post? I appreciate the need for having something to respond to, but does a certain length really necessitate that?

I personally would beg to differ. I believe sometimes the most compelling posts can be done in less than a full paragraph, even sometimes one very short line. Not every time of course, but if the quality is there why should the writer be forced to sacrifice the clever conciseness of his/her work just to meet some minimum quota?

Am I misinterpreting the post minimums I'm seeing practically everywhere? lol Have I been LARPing too long?

I'm with you, buddy! D: I am not a fan of length requirements myself either. So I avoid anything that has word count or paragraph requirements. Cause I can't predict how much I am going to be able to write, and I don't really write very big posts to begin with. >>; I am a lady of few words. This wild stallion dun like restrictions and must-dos.

Granted, I am not keen on posts that don't have enough for me to work with, but that isn't about the length of the post. That's about the content like you said. O_O Posts need to progress the scene somehow.

But I can see where many people are very interested in detail-rich or flowery writing, and how some people like to use it as a challenge to themselves too!

Reactions: LunaValentine
I'm with you, buddy! D: I am not a fan of length requirements myself either. So I avoid anything that has word count or paragraph requirements. Cause I can't predict how much I am going to be able to write, and I don't really write very big posts to begin with. >>; I am a lady of few words. This wild stallion dun like restrictions and must-dos.

Granted, I am not keen on posts that don't have enough for me to work with, but that isn't about the length of the post. That's about the content like you said. O_O Posts need to progress the scene somehow.

But I can see where many people are very interested in detail-rich or flowery writing, and how some people like to use it as a challenge to themselves too!

Yeah, I can see that too. And don't get me wrong, I love both detail-rich and flowery writing. lol, I just can't always write that way, and my ability to do so lessens when role-playing. I suppose I'm very "reactive" when it comes down to it. I give my characters' reactions, sometimes with other subtle indicators and then pass the baton off.

But either way, I'm glad to know someone else here is like me. I was worried it was just me being super rusty/out of the loop.

I try not to make quantity/length demands for posts as you are right. You can convey a good post in a short paragraph, or few sentences. However, I also feel that a short post isn't always the best. If it's a rapid fire rp (ie chat rp) then shorter posts with good quality are best. For a forum based roleplay I find it hard to really advance a post in a multi-group setting without at least providing a couple sentences. Now a one on one rp is also different, you may be able to progress the story with a single line post when one on one, but again it depends on the situation and who you are roleplaying with.

I may not rp often, but when I do it's about the quality of the post not the length. :D

Anyways, yeah I do find that sometimes irksome, but I suppose everyone is entitled to run their rp's how they wish. My biggest pet peeve is the whole "I don't want you in my rp unless you are 'literate'!" buuut I believe that has been discussed before :p

I try not to make quantity/length demands for posts as you are right. You can convey a good post in a short paragraph, or few sentences. However, I also feel that a short post isn't always the best. If it's a rapid fire rp (ie chat rp) then shorter posts with good quality are best. For a forum based roleplay I find it hard to really advance a post in a multi-group setting without at least providing a couple sentences. Now a one on one rp is also different, you may be able to progress the story with a single line post when one on one, but again it depends on the situation and who you are roleplaying with.

I may not rp often, but when I do it's about the quality of the post not the length. :D

Anyways, yeah I do find that sometimes irksome, but I suppose everyone is entitled to run their rp's how they wish. My biggest pet peeve is the whole "I don't want you in my rp unless you are 'literate'!" buuut I believe that has been discussed before :p

True. I guess I have become more acclimated towards more rapid fire, non-text, and one x one. Though I have still done group stuff on the forums of the larp group I was in, but probably due to us knowing each other in person, and already knowing how that character moves/acts/etc., there were times people would post back one word replies.

So would you (or whoever else) say then that including the internal/mental aspects of your character is a must in group scenarios? I used to do this, but got reamed out for it while RPing on the larp boards. It was too "meta" for another player to see that type of information, so it was strongly encouraged to omit it.

If not this, what suggestions would you give to someone to include in order to be helpful to their fellow players beyond the base reaction(s) of your character(s)?

The Jump Ins Roleplays are usually pretty accepting of shorter posts

I agree that length does not necessarily mean quality, but it is true that it can be hard to respond when you're given nothing to respond to but "he smiled" or "his stomach growled 'I'm hungry' he said". Including more for your partner(s) to work off of will necessarily require using more words.

That said, I've seen novella-length posts that were just as flimsy as my examples above

I'm with you. I don't particularly like having to meet quotas, which is why I don't provide one when it comes to how much I post for potential partners. I give my typical posting range and mirror what I'm given as best I can while still giving something to work with. I find counting words ridiculous. I do however like detailed/flowery writing... Perhaps those literary elitists from other rp sites are coming here with their elitist demands - which are what killed role plays on the site I used to play on.

I only seem to throw out long posts when it's a big collab between a few people. I've been through different 'phases' in RPing, and sometimes it's forced me to write out... Gosh knows how many paragraphs. I once was in some weird IMVU Star Wars RP, and they required me to throw out 13-20 paragraphs per post. Yeah, I got tired after a while. So I have the power in my hands, I just prefer being lazy and shortening my posts to what I can. When it's with RPing with others, I believe in a 'Throw out what you're given' kinda thing. If the other person has nothing to throw back at me, I usually won't have much to throw back at them in return.

The Jump Ins Roleplays are usually pretty accepting of shorter posts

I agree that length does not necessarily mean quality, but it is true that it can be hard to respond when you're given nothing to respond to but "he smiled" or "his stomach growled 'I'm hungry' he said". Including more for your partner(s) to work off of will necessarily require using more words.

That said, I've seen novella-length posts that were just as flimsy as my examples above

I've peeked at a few of them. I'll keep looking too.

And I don't know. I guess I'm just strange, because I really don't need anything to continue with a new post. So while someone only giving me "he smiled" to work with might be a mild disappointment, it would not be a complete hinderance to me.

I'm with you. I don't particularly like having to meet quotas, which is why I don't provide one when it comes to how much I post for potential partners. I give my typical posting range and mirror what I'm given as best I can while still giving something to work with. I find counting words ridiculous. I do however like detailed/flowery writing... Perhaps those literary elitists from other rp sites are coming here with their elitist demands - which are what killed role plays on the site I used to play on.

Yeah, fortunately I've yet to come across any word count requirements. But I think we're on the same wavelength.

I only seem to throw out long posts when it's a big collab between a few people. I've been through different 'phases' in RPing, and sometimes it's forced me to write out... Gosh knows how many paragraphs. I once was in some weird IMVU Star Wars RP, and they required me to throw out 13-20 paragraphs per post. Yeah, I got tired after a while. So I have the power in my hands, I just prefer being lazy and shortening my posts to what I can. When it's with RPing with others, I believe in a 'Throw out what you're given' kinda thing. If the other person has nothing to throw back at me, I usually won't have much to throw back at them in return.

I can respect that. Though, I always have a little list of "what if's" handy for when the scene starts dragging.

Eh I wouldn't say it is necessarily a must. On a personal level I tend to add some internal thought and outward reaction for my character(s) as a way to interact and really delve into the story with my character. For me, my characters are real people in whatever setting is described. Certainly I myself in the real world am more than just one action. I have internal thoughts and outward reactions to others around me. I'm not just a puppet. But again, every writer has their own style and that is my personal style.

I've written longer posts and shorter posts depending on the story and who I am interacting with. If it is a single person/person interaction then yes sometimes a longer post isn't necessary, and fluff isn't necessary. If I'm interacting with a group then I certainly need to probably give a little more so that there is no confusion who I am interacting with and when.

It's really really REALLY hard for me to write posts without putting in all the inner thoughts, motivations and inner dialogue. O__O

Eh I wouldn't say it is necessarily a must. On a personal level I tend to add some internal thought and outward reaction for my character(s) as a way to interact and really delve into the story with my character. For me, my characters are real people in whatever setting is described. Certainly I myself in the real world am more than just one action. I have internal thoughts and outward reactions to others around me. I'm not just a puppet. But again, every writer has their own style and that is my personal style.

I've written longer posts and shorter posts depending on the story and who I am interacting with. If it is a single person/person interaction then yes sometimes a longer post isn't necessary, and fluff isn't necessary. If I'm interacting with a group then I certainly need to probably give a little more so that there is no confusion who I am interacting with and when.

\nods. Yeah. Having multiple characters to respond to does lengthen things. I guess for me, I've gotten used to simply implying what might be going on in their thought-life, and letting the other participants have their guesses and respond as they would without really knowing the complete picture.

It's really really REALLY hard for me to write posts without putting in all the inner thoughts, motivations and inner dialogue. O__O

Lol. It was super hard for me at first, but you get used to it after some practice. Then after a while, it starts making more sense in some ways. Unless the people around you are mind readers (which could be the case) the other characters wouldn't know your inner world. There would be visible cues, but nothing that explicitly states everything. So when you don't include that information it often forces the other characters to respond more realistically.

The content of one's post is far more important than the need to meet the status quo.

I can imagine some players have gotten burned by people going into their RPs and not adding any content, just a line of dialogue while the other players are adding body language, tone of voice, how the setting looks at a base minimum, and as been stated, the person not advancing the plot even a smidgen. I know that if I feel like I'm doing all the work in an RP I wonder what's the point, I could write by myself and be more fulfilled. Most GMs want a team effort with varying degrees of GM dictation, but that's style and getting off track slightly.

Then on the flip side I think some people come from communities that, to put it bluntly, are elitist and they haven't shaken off the shackles of their former boards. Places where "Literate" is thrown around and rank people on levels of RP skill. In those cases, the GMs might need to learn to loosen up a bit and have a little more faith in other players.

I know this post is lengthy, but it's a bit of an insight into my mind as a multi paragrapher that can't respond well to very short posts. As you probably notice it's not just roleplaying that I write a lot in xD My English teacher scolded me once for writing way too much on an English assignment once. *Whistles innocently*

---

For me it's extremely necessary to tell people that my partners should be comfortable posting 3 paragraphs or more. If we sometimes now and then have scenes where only 1-2 paragraphs are necessary for the scene and more is hard to write, then that's acceptable (which I also points out in my partner search). When people search after lengthier posts then the people that often write lengthier posts will understand what they're out after.

They're out after:
Body language
Location description (especially when they're moving around in a room or walking outside)
characters thoughts and emotions (memories if something triggers it)
Dialog
Other details (such as smell, background noises or something going on in the background which the characters takes notice of)

Just like when we're reading a book, we want to be able to see the world and feel that our characters and the other persons characters are real. Most people I have roleplayed with that write longer have gone very deeply into their characters psyche. With every word the other character says, their character have to process the words, react to the word (bodily and mentally), and eventually respond to the words (talk or action). It's also important to notice if something/someone close by are affected by the reactions or actions of the character. Like during a discussion on the street, if they start yelling at each other maybe people around them starts to turn their heads, mumbling to each other, the main characters might even hear some words and react to that.

In my experience when I've written with 1 paragraph writers, I don't get into their character, and I don't see their world. I barely know what their character is thinking or feeling, which can be good if you have an evil or manipulative character that's supposed to surprise the audience with a reveal that everything they did before was a lie, or if you have a character that can't feel emotions, but if it is the main character, then I want to know them more, especially if they have known my character from before the rp started since then that character will have to know things about their personality that I might not have gotten to know yet. Even if they don't show emotions often, they usually do feel emotions, people think more than they let others know, and that's what the reader (the other writer) want to know about even if their character doesn't know about it.

For me when I write an rp I am both a writer of my own book and I'm reading another persons book. If their writing doesn't appeal to me, then just like with a book, I get bored and stop reading. While the length in itself doesn't make a book interesting, the content does. And those extra details does a lot to keep my interest. Yes, there is a lot of differences between an rp and a book. Roleplays are more forgiving, we can make mistakes, we can forget stuff, there can be forgotten plotholes, or ridiculous solutions or coincidences that people probably would complain about if it happened in a book, and it's two people writing it to entertain one another (and possibly a small audience if someone else have decided to read it). And when two people are writing a story together, no matter if it's for fun or for work, it's important that the two have styles that matches (for the mot parts).

Sure there are people that can roleplay with exactly anyone without being bothered if the styles aren't the same, even if one writes ten paragraphs and another just one, one writes in first person present time and another third person past time. But most people I've met are like me. We want to have someone that can give as much as they get, someone that writes from the same perspective and time as them.

I like to write a lot, and I like to read an equal amount as that fuels my creativity. The less I get the more unsure I get on how my character should act. With less details about their character, the less I know my own character and what they would do. That's why length is just as important as quality for me.

Btw, I do not think it's bad to write between one line and two paragraphs, if you feel most comfortable with that, then go for it. There's a lot of people on iwaku that writes the same amount. So in no way am I trying to say that you're doing wrong or anything like that with this post. I'm just saying that it's not everyone's cup of tea. Just like some can't write more than a few sentences, others can't write less than a few paragraphs or a few pages. Keep to your comfort zone until you wish to leave it. Don't jump into an rp if you're not comfortable with the required length or lack thereof. If the story is incredibly interesting, but you don't think you'd be able to keep up with the posts, then you can always ask the GM if they're okay with you creating a similar idea out of their idea and put an easier/harder level on it.

Everyone have their own comfort zone, and their own ideal partners out there. If you're a person that has a certain style and wishes to play with others with the same kind of style, then it is important to tell people that 'this is what I'm expecting from you'. It might be irritating for people that doesn't write like that to see it all the time, but even I have to turn my head from plots I want to join because the person writes in a way I know I can't handle for very long. I know I would get bored and eventually not know what to write. It has happened a lot of times, and with time I've learned that I have a certain style and to spare both myself and my future partners from a short lived roleplay, I should just tell them what I want, and not join in on something knowing that they aren't comfortable writing in my style and I aren't comfortable reading theirs. In the end, those types of matches will go to the roleplay grave quickly.

(Note: I'm mainly talking about one x one as that is my favored type of rp. But even in group roleplays I do prefer lengthier posts, though I don't mind shorter posts on a more regular basis if it's a big group with much more characters to take in.)

Phew, I think I'm done. Sorry for rambling ^^' I'm bad at containing myself.

Reactions: A_Veiled_Mask
Well, well..

Where to start with this?
I honestly think I've had this type of conversation before.
I totally don't like One liner replies in my roleplays, it's very hard to deal with that.. But it happens sometimes, as even for me - if for example- I don't what to write exactly and I end up writing one paragraph. But, obviously, I manage to not write less than one paragraph.

I normally like to write a lot, about description of the surroundings, the clothing and the other character as my own Chara sees him/ her and her own feelings/ thoughts.

As mainly, in most of the RP's I am part of, most of the other players do post a good length of replies and so I do the same. It's a shame just to post one liner or two.
Strongly, I can't deal with that and occasionally I dealt with that in the past and I jumped Out of the story purely of that single reason.

Role playing on a certain scale is about details and feelings and inner thoughts. And so, it's the best to write a bit more than just one liner.
I can't deal with that and I really dislike it. This is my personal opinion, I won't lie saying that I accept it or like it.

I don't like very short posts. >_>

I like to write, in most cases a Lot.
Unfortunately, more and more persons do wrote one liners or one paragraphs lost of the times on the forum ( especially in jump ins or in their own One to One RP's ).

Anyways, everyone is different, so I am talking about myself. As rarely it happens for me to make shorter posts. It's not a must, but if my writing partner does not give me something to work with.. Why should I put an Extra Effort and write like 4-5 paragraphs and he/she make a vey short one?>:(

It's no point..

That being said, everyone has a different level of writing paragraphs for a role play.

Reactions: WarriorHeart
Quantity rules, as far as I'm concerned, are there to give other writers more material to work with. Basically; enforcing players to put more content in their posts. When body language, describing environment, etc. are mixed in, this quantity will help the other player gauge the situation better than a single line of dialogue. Roleplaying is about communication, and interpretation of communication requires context.

Also, quantity, for some, can be used as a tool to draw one into the story after a heavy day of work that less words simply can't do due to an incubation period. This is very important for people who are more about getting sucked into a story than playing a game.

That said, I'm not too fond of filler, repeating someone else and endless inner monologue, which a lot of people turn to with quantity rules. I think quantity should serve a purpose for at least one other player, otherwise it can be ignored without consequence. Sometimes this means a three paragraph requirement is ludicrous, because there's just not enough to write about in reason, but fortunately collabs exist for quick back-and-forth's.

Personally, I'm a dialog person. I like interaction between characters so it gets difficult to add meaningful sentences once I get past a paragraph, maybe two. Then again I don't really talk about location much unless there's something important about it. For example in one of my roleplays I have a character who has paintings of her parents she keeps covered, it's an interest point in the plot. This point I will bring up any time I can to give my partner the opportunity to explore that route of dialog or to choose to ignore it. I once had someone who wanted me to post a long length and I found it hard when it had literally nothing to do with my characters. I don't hate detail but I'm bad at it. Heck most of the time I don't have a set place in mind for where it's taking place. It's usually generic village or big city >.<. If I can find a picture instead I'll use it since I'm a more visual person. But length and quality is all up to both partners. Unless I have a clear idea of where things are going I don't post more than a paragraph at best. All in all, it's up to the people running the rps. I don't require specific lengths because sometimes it's fun to have rps that only go a few lines at a time. They may not be as compelling but I still find some enjoyment out of it.

I personally enjoy longer posts, to be honest. One of the reason I adore roleplaying is the fact that I'm an avid reader and when done right, roleplay feels almost like reading a book you can influence directly with your character's actions. I need the detail to immerse into the story and so I try to add as much as I can to my posts to flesh out the atmosphere. On the other hand, I don't require novella-length posts in every single situation since it's downright stupid to include unnecessary fluff. I've participated in roleplays that imposed word-counts on players when I was sixteen or so, and more often than not, writing seemed more like a chore than a hobby it's supposed to be. I'm never going down that path again. In my experience, it's beneficial to ask yourself a few questions when in doubt whether to include something or not. Does it move the story? Does it tell the readers something interesting about your character and/or their thought process? Does it add to the general atmosphere? Is it funny? If you find yourself answering 'no' to every single question, then it probably doesn't belong there. Just my two cents, though.