Am I a bad writer?

M

March

Original poster
Hello~ I need some help
I feel like I'm a bad writer.. I feel like I never rp and that's because I think I'm bad at writing.. I look at my work before sending it and send a good 2-5 paragraphs a post!

I post threads and such and always try to keep them updated with new ideas and stuff as well! But It seems that no one is intersted.. I try to look at other people's threads but I never can find a M looking for a female!! [I also play male but I played male for a while and I'm tired of it :/]

Any advice ??

Well, for starters most 1x1 players are female, the majority of which heterosexual and looking for a romance plot. So that's always going to be a little difficult, haha.

I think your problem mostly lies with your request thread itself. Fortunately, there's a number of guides to help you out set up a more inviting thread. These are two I like;
LESSON - HOW TO: Make a great request thread! [1x1's]
GAMEMASTER - One x One Ads that Work: a How-To

Check them out and mirror your own approach to it, and check out some of the more popular threads as well (whether or not you want to play with these people) to see what they do different to attract more attention.

Well, for starters most 1x1 players are female, the majority of which heterosexual and looking for a romance plot. So that's always going to be a little difficult, haha.

I think your problem mostly lies with your request thread itself. Fortunately, there's a number of guides to help you out set up a more inviting thread. These are two I like;
LESSON - HOW TO: Make a great request thread! [1x1's]
GAMEMASTER - One x One Ads that Work: a How-To

Check them out and mirror your own approach to it, and check out some of the more popular threads as well (whether or not you want to play with these people) to see what they do different to attract more attention.
Thank you for the advice!!

I think the advice above is really great, I also want to add that no writing is bad writing. I'm of the belief that bad writing doesn't exist. There is writing that is polished and passionate, and there is writing that is not, but writing should be about how it makes you feel at the end of the day. If you're feeling bad about you're writing, it probably stems from low confidence, fear of critique or failure, or a sense of perfectionism.

The best advice I can offer to you is to keep learning. Don't just write but study the mechanics of writing: study how to begin efficiently self-editing, how to show not tell, etc. Studying will do loads for your confidence. Secondly, make goals and stick to them. Even if you aren't roleplaying, write a certain number of words everyday just for practice.

Lastly, you not liking your work probably means it's some of your best work because you're objective about them, but you're probably letting your inner editor steamroll you. The only way to avoid that is to be aware of it and to learn. Practice, practice, practice!

:D

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
I think the advice above is really great, I also want to add that no writing is bad writing. I'm of the belief that bad writing doesn't exist. There is writing that is polished and passionate, and there is writing that is not, but writing should be about how it makes you feel at the end of the day. If you're feeling bad about you're writing, it probably stems from low confidence, fear of critique or failure, or a sense of perfectionism.

The best advice I can offer to you is to keep learning. Don't just write but study the mechanics of writing: study how to begin efficiently self-editing, how to show not tell, etc. Studying will do loads for your confidence. Secondly, make goals and stick to them. Even if you aren't roleplaying, write a certain number of words everyday just for practice.

Lastly, you not liking your work probably means it's some of your best work because you're objective about them, but you're probably letting your inner editor steamroll you. The only way to avoid that is to be aware of it and to learn. Practice, practice, practice!

:D
Thank you :) I just feel bad because I don't have many rp partners that's all~

o_o" RP partners can be hard to find, and there are many factors that can play into how difficult it might be to find partners. I certainly wouldn't assume that your writing is bad just because you're having trouble finding partners. I'm sure your writing is fine -- especially if you put the amount of effort into it that you say you do.

Reactions: Greenie
I've been RPing for legitimately more than half my life (and I am ... really old *lol*) -- The best advice that I can give is to constantly do your research and to practice ... every day. Nav is right when she says there are no 'bad' writers - but there is always room to improve. And there are tons of ways that you can do that. Books on writing are great if you've got time for them - but there are tons of blogs out there that will also help and lots of resources on Iwaku! Also, do writing exercises... they're a fantastic way to hone your skills, while not worrying so much about pressure. You can find tons of them on this site, but you can also google or pinterest search for them.

Be patient and keep putting out those feelers for 1x1 partners, but don't be afraid to join some groups, too. You will find that in group RPs there is such a different dynamic between all the writers that you can learn new tricks more easily than in a 1x1.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person