So my dude's name is going to be Darius. He doesn't much like fighting, he instead wants to enhance every day life either with magic or with a mundane substitute. When it does come to a fight though, and he needs to use magic, his go-to is pulling water from the atmosphere to create a multi-useful blob orb thing. Darius causes the outside of the blob to hold the rest of the water in, effectively making it a water balloon. A water balloon that can be used to block and deflect attacks! When struck by an intrusive force, the glob will condense as a reaction scaling with the force behind the blow, effectively becoming solid against that attack. Alternatively the glob can be turned into an offensive force in a number of ways, Darius could slam the glob into his opponent, controlling it with magic, or I guess just brute force even. The same condensing property would then apply as an offensive force, kinda like hitting water from a really long drop. You may be ready to ask, but Effort why don't you just use ice as a shield and to pummel people with?

Well I feel like a blob could serve more utility, perhaps to be used to help avoid attacks altogether, or cushion a fall or to wear on the lower half of the body and bounce or roll around. I don't know maybe I'm just putting too much thought into it, heh.
So in short, he's using magic to turn water into a non-Newtonian fluid, then goes all Waterbender on it? Sounds interesting :D

Reactions: Effort
Yeah I guess that basically the gist of it, heh. Uh how do we feel about using extra dimensional spaces for quick and easy storage?

So in short, he's using magic to turn water into a non-Newtonian fluid, then goes all Waterbender on it? Sounds interesting :D
Yeah I guess that basically the gist of it, heh. Uh how do we feel about using extra dimensional spaces for quick and easy storage?
Woah woah wait. I'm not sure how we made the leap from what we discussed in PM's to "extra-dimensional spaces". It seems a bit outside the type of magic that I was going for, here.

I'll have to come back and take a closer look at everything later. @_@

Reactions: Greenie
Ok, so, yeah, I still don't see how this fits into the idea you had before. And... it also just seems like a generally unfitting form of magic for this world.

Not only that, but, reading the description you posted here, it seems just a bit overpowered compared to what I remember us discussing earlier... Not enough to outright ban it, but, it's a little bit on-the-fence in that regard... So uh, essentially having access to hammerspace, in addition to Darius' existing powers? That all seems like a bit much...

I wasn't very serious about the extra-dimensional storage space. I'll try and collect my thoughts to have them all straightened up and laid out.

Ok, so, yeah, I still don't see how this fits into the idea you had before. And... it also just seems like a generally unfitting form of magic for this world.

Not only that, but, reading the description you posted here, it seems just a bit overpowered compared to what I remember us discussing earlier... Not enough to outright ban it, but, it's a little bit on-the-fence in that regard... So uh, essentially having access to hammerspace, in addition to Darius' existing powers? That all seems like a bit much...
On this topic though: Regardless of whether the characters can get access to them, do Bags of Holding exist in this world in the first place?

I'm gonna try to come up with a reply today or tomorrow hopefully ^^

@Neobullseye I do not think they do since she said that type of magic doesn't fit the magic of the world. Then again I suppose something like that might exist as long as you don't use the words extra-dimensional in it's description. I mean, if I were a GM I'd probably want to avoid dealing with those shenanigans. xD

@Kagayours You cool with his folks, or one of his folks, being a scientist that has to travel from place to place doing research for the different cities? I guess it would be like...magic science or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
On this topic though: Regardless of whether the characters can get access to them, do Bags of Holding exist in this world in the first place?

I'd argue no. Like I said, it just feels out-of-place to me. :/

Aaaand I feel like a Bag of Holding could get kind of ridiculous when you really think about what one can do with it... Best to avoid all that. XD

Aaaand I feel like a Bag of Holding could get kind of ridiculous when you really think about what one can do with it... Best to avoid all that. XD
On this topic (sorta) might there be an artifact shop in Atvance?

Yeah, fair enough. And I agree, that thing is ridiculously broken when you start to use it in non-standard ways. For example, one can take a Bag of Holding, hold it open under the surface of a lake so that the bag fills up with thousands of gallons of water, then hold it upside down while at the entrance of a dungeon. Cue the entire dungeon being flooded, killing all of the enemies inside. Victory! :D

Unless the dungeon is full of things that don't need to breath.

Alright so I'm just going to put my bio together and post it up. If you want me to provide a list of all my intended spells and techniques, I can try to do that.

Name: Darius Adom
Race: Human
Persuasion: Sword
Element: Water
Zodiac sign: Cancer

Appearance: 5'6" with almost black hair and tan skin. He's got a decently sturdy frame, it's easy to tell this guy would be good at physical labor. Sometimes he'll get this scary scowl on his face, but really he's just in deep thought. He will most commonly wear brown, green, yellow, or red colors in his clothing. Sometime he'll let his beard grow out, but more often he'll keep it shaved off. Darius can will be seen around town with his satchel. Has a number of scars and a few burns, most notably a small scar on the top left side of his mouth, a minor burn scar on his right forearm in the vague shape of a hand, and a puncture scar on the left side of his lower back.

Weapons/other combat abilities:
Darius is familiar with a number of weapons, most of them are your basic fare, he's also had some training with shields. Although he is familiar with weapons, he only owns a hunting knife. Having had experience and developed a fighting style, Darius is no stranger to combat but will first try to avoid such conflicts, instead trying to resolve them. When it does come to combat Darius has sort of a strange method of hand to hand combat, employing heavily his surrounding environment and using his enemies' seeming advantages against them.

When it comes to magic combat Darius will most often employ his personally developed raw magic M.F.D.W.T. (Multi-Functional Dynamic Water Technique, or glorp for short) serving as both an offensive and defensive ability while providing some limited utility use. When struck the fluid will solidify at the impact point and distribute the force throughout the rest of the fluid. Used offensively, getting hit by the glorp will feel as if running into a brick wall. The glorp is most effective against physical attack and mid to close range opponents. Darius will also implement some ice techniques but mostly to immobilize his foe, in the hopes of giving them the opportunity to cool down and resolve the conflict. Darius has only been in life threatening situations a few times.

While in possession of spells to supplement defense, the brunt of Darius' spells are for data gathering, utility functions, and spellcraft.

Darius is in possession of a specially made adventuring outfit giving him protection as if wearing a suit of chain, keeping him dry in the rain, providing minor protection from extreme temperatures, and helping to ease the danger of long falls. His satchel is similarly protected but stronger, the contents are provided much more protection than himself. He's been tinkering with some ideas for additional research equipment.

A spell and artifact combo allows Darius to send messages to his family in Tarocchi, as well as the friends he's made in the various cities.

Bio:
Darius' parents are a strange pair. His father Kalid, the researcher, and his mother Joslyn, the former knight.

They had grown up near each other for most of their youth, they had really started spending more time together after Joslyn rescued Kalid from a pack of wolves one evening, she had walked up and simply willed them away. Kalid was intrigued by her ability and wanted to learn more about it. In the process of learning about her use of Earth magic, he came to find out more about her. She had come from a family of knights, and she too wished to earn the respect of her father by becoming a knight. No one would take her seriously, they wanted her to be a proper young lady, quiet and respectful, and eventually let her. But she trained anyway, no one else would recognize her efforts except for Kalid, he saw the fire in her eyes.

After learning about this, Kalid encouraged the young woman to follow her dream, and he would help her in any way he could. So the weirdo nerd with the funny accent and the tomboy wanna-be knight became friends. Together they grew, learning from each other and evolving. Kalid's brains and support helped improve Joslyn's performance and she swiftly began gathering attention, soon people could no longer simply overlook her. Joslyn's will and ferocity rubbed off on Kalid, stirring his fervor and passion, his peers were beginning to take a second look at his data and theories at his demand. Finally Joslyn was given the chance to prove herself, and prove herself she did. When pitted against boys her age she whooped them in both mock combat, manners, and strategic games (the last two thanks to Kalid's help). This combined with her ability to command animals and plants solidified her candidacy, there was no ignoring her now.

Years passed, Joslyn has obtained her knighthood, and Kalid is a head researcher. They are both busy but make time to see each other, having long since discovered their love for one another. After years of faithful knightly service Joslyn married Kalid and together they moved to Ennance where Kalid's abilities were needed. While together in Ennance Joslyn gave birth to her son, naming him Darius after her grandfather. At this time she retired her knighthood to raise her son, her younger brother taking up her place.

From his father Darius learned to be open minded and about magical theory. From his mother he learned about combat and tactics. The skills of his father were needed in various areas, for years at a time causing their family to uproot and move several times over the course of Darius' youth hood. However it was never hard for Darius to make friends. Through their travels and years of staying in different cities Darius was exposed to a whole array of experiences to which his parents heartily encouraged him to explore. He spent years of time with the different demi-races picking up skills, bits and pieces of their culture and perspectives, and views on magic and the gods. He also had to learn a thing or two about defending himself against the different demi-races, as sometimes his curiosity and naivety would get him into trouble.

As he grew he took some more interest in his father's work, helping him here and there. His mind churned with thoughts on magical theory and spellcraft. When he became twenty he decided to head out on his own and do some independent studying in Iblea spending three years there. After that time he began to feel stifled by staying in one place for so long. Moving farther south he took up residence and work in Atvance. There he exercises, takes up odd jobs, and sometimes performs services with his spells. All the while trying to think of new ways to use magic.

Other: He has some scholarly interest in Dark Magic. Having had an Unluck hex placed upon him, periodically things will just not go his way, or even directly against him. This way we'll be able to learn about hexes first hand and find ways to counteract them. He has an assortment of journals that are full of his theories and notes, they are very precious to him and there are a select few he wishes to not be shared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, fair enough. And I agree, that thing is ridiculously broken when you start to use it in non-standard ways. For example, one can take a Bag of Holding, hold it open under the surface of a lake so that the bag fills up with thousands of gallons of water, then hold it upside down while at the entrance of a dungeon. Cue the entire dungeon being flooded, killing all of the enemies inside. Victory! :D
but that's what makes it "fun" :DD
When it comes to magic combat Darius will most often employ his personally developed raw magic M.F.D.W.T. (Multi-Functional Dynamic Water Technique, or glorp for short)
obviously this is the most perfect abbreviation ever, everyone else go home

Raymond prefers the Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Dispersal for swathing foes, or the 'FLUDD' technique. ;D

On this topic (sorta) might there be an artifact shop in Atvance?
Yes, as mentioned in the OP. :P

but that's what makes it "fun" :DD
Which is why I would allow for such an ability in Fandomstuck or Omnibus, but not here. XD Altera is my attempt at creating a much more structured world where shit isn't constantly going off the rails... for once. :P

When it comes to magic combat Darius will most often employ his personally developed raw magic M.F.D.W.T. (Multi-Functional Dynamic Water Technique, or glorp for short) serving as both an offensive and defensive ability while providing some limited utility use.
I know you've explained the glorp in another OOC post, but you should include it in your CS, as well. If someone only reads your CS (which is to be expected if someone wants to know about your character, as I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to comb through all the OOC pages for that sort of thing), they'd have no idea how it works at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Darius' parents are a strange pair, his father the researcher and his mother the former knight
Strange pair indeed. Female knights are exceptionally rare. o3o Does Darius's mother have any noteworthy qualities that allowed her to enter such a field? It seems strange to mention such a detail without explaining how such a thing was even made possible...

Recently someone has had a hex placed on him that can cause others to be more hostile towards him, including animals.
Is that hex still in effect? o_o If so, I'm a bit worried about how it will work out from an IC perspective. Making NPC's act hostile towards him is one thing -- but where player characters are concerned, you'd have to make sure every RPer who interacts with him (however briefly) knows about the hex, and that might be easier said than done. Not every player will closely read the CS of every character they interact with -- and even if you do make sure to tell people specifically, I feel like people would be quick to forget.

I'm not giving it a hard no just yet -- I'm just not sure how you can make it work from a practical standpoint.

Reactions: Effort
I JUST SPENT A GOOD HOUR OR SO SCOURING YOUTUBE FOR A VIDEO THAT APPARENTLY WASN'T HOSTED ON YOUTUBE IN THE FIRST PLACE -- IT WAS ON VIMEO.

AAAAAAAH

I JUST SPENT A GOOD HOUR OR SO SCOURING YOUTUBE FOR A VIDEO THAT APPARENTLY WASN'T HOSTED ON YOUTUBE IN THE FIRST PLACE -- IT WAS ON VIMEO.

AAAAAAAH
Ah, the two great video sites of the Internet: YouTube and NotYouTube.