Solution: get a diving suit from somewhere, fill the thing with water, then wear that at all times. :D
That's how you get poop water.

Who wants to live in poop water?

That's how you get poop water.

Who wants to live in poop water?
Eh, we'll just add a waste filtering/ejection system to the suit. No problem :P

Also, on a more serious note: Kaga, what is the average level of education in this universe? For example, is there an actual obligatory school system where every kid learns the exact same basic things (I'd expect reading, writing, basic calculus, history et cetera), or are those more skills for the rich and lucky while 'normal' people are just taught whatever their parents/master happen to know?

Also, on a more serious note: Kaga, what is the average level of education in this universe? For example, is there an actual obligatory school system where every kid learns the exact same basic things (I'd expect reading, writing, basic calculus, history et cetera), or are those more skills for the rich and lucky while 'normal' people are just taught whatever their parents/master happen to know?
EDUCATION:

In moderately-sized cities, children are given basic education up to grade 6 (approximately). These classes teach only basic reading writing, math, history, etc. Demi-human children are allowed in these schools, but they are still a minority, and the schools themselves cater mostly towards humans. More rural areas may not have any decent schools at all, and it is not uncommon for poorer children of rural areas to not receive an education entirely.

Schooling beyond this point is even more optional, and also typically expensive, and it is no surprise that the most well-educated children are typically upper-class. Many children, at this point, start studying to learn a trade. There are also many specialized schools that a student can enter — including schools of magic, which center around spellcasting and using artifacts.

This is in the OP under "Setting (General)". :P

Reactions: Ythania
This is in the OP under "Setting (General)". :P
...Whoops. >_<

EDIT: Also, I am amused that I somehow managed to list almost the exact same things you listed, complete with them being in the same order AND with the et cetera at the end XD.

Oh right, I forgot to write down education in the bio...I should really just fill this out: RESOURCE - Ultimate Character Sheet

I would like to see an aquan character, but we already have a fair amount of characters as it is.

So

On a whim, I decided to re-read all of the OP... or at least, that's what I was going to do, before I got distracted by all the talk in the Pokemon Go thread in GC.

But anyway, just based on the parts that I did read... I found typos! And also, a few instances of awkward wording. I fixed them. o_o

Based on what I found, I might want to go back and continue reading one of these days...

So

On a whim, I decided to re-read all of the OP... or at least, that's what I was going to do, before I got distracted by all the talk in the Pokemon Go thread in GC.

But anyway, just based on the parts that I did read... I found typos! And also, a few instances of awkward wording. I fixed them. o_o

Based on what I found, I might want to go back and continue reading one of these days...
I don't recall ever reading any mistakes that I felt were so glaringly bad I needed to call you out on them. A few typos are fine, especially when there's that much text. It does it's job of delivering the information well and you average way fewer grammar mistakes than many intros in my experience.

I don't recall ever reading any mistakes that I felt were so glaringly bad I needed to call you out on them. A few typos are fine, especially when there's that much text. It does it's job of delivering the information well and you average way fewer grammar mistakes than many intros in my experience.
Yeeeaaaaah buuuut...

Typos are still kind of embarrassing, so I might as well fix them if I see them, even if it's only for my own sake. XD Same goes for awkward phrasing, if a much easier way to say something comes to mind while I'm reading it. :P

Reactions: Luma
I read through most of the information on the first post and most of the pages there after. If you're still accepting characters I'd love to play. I just wanted to ask before I delved any further into the world.

I read through most of the information on the first post and most of the pages there after. If you're still accepting characters I'd love to play. I just wanted to ask before I delved any further into the world.
Oh, yeah, sure!! The IC hasn't even started yet, and there are a few friends of mine who haven't even gotten their CS's up yet, so, we're definitely still open. ^^

Reactions: Turtle of the Tired
Oh, yeah, sure!! The IC hasn't even started yet, and there are a few friends of mine who haven't even gotten their CS's up yet, so, we're definitely still open. ^^
I was actually about to ask what we're waiting on. Are they just really busy?

Also, a potential 'welcome aboard' to you, Fancy Turtle.

I was actually about to ask what we're waiting on. Are they just really busy?
I dunno. I haven't really tried to pester them too hard. Most of them are also members of my other RP, in which getting them to post is a bit more important at the moment, and I honestly haven't really cared all that much about their Altera CS's...

Also, I still have some planning to do in regards to how exactly I want to set up the start of the RP. ...Aaaand as for right now, I've been a bit distracted finishing up a CS (and character drawing) for Fandomstuck, and preparing for a small convention I'm going to this weekend.

Sooo for Altera, I've honestly just kind of been taking it easy for a little while, I guess just sitting back and waiting for newcomers to drop by and post CS's, if they're interested. I do plan to have the IC up and running before summer is over, though, so I'll probably start putting more work into that next week.

• Useful
Awesome. I'll finish reading through everything then and post up a CS

Reactions: Luma and Kagayours
Name: Fane Cauthrin
Race: Human
Persuasion: Cups
Element: Air
Zodiac sign: Aries

Appearance: There has always been a touch of wildness to the Cauthrin family, making their living out in the woods as they do, and this has bled into Fane as well in the way he carries himself. His movements sharp and jittery, full of too much energy to stay in one place for too long. His curly red hair is always a bit of a mess, despite regular brushing, untamable, breaking free from whatever tie he attempts to secure it with. Its gotten to the point where he doesn't bother anymore, content to leave it where it lies. Even if sometimes it gets in the way, which is such a shame because his green eyes are really quite lovely, a family trait. Along with pale skin covered in freckles. He'd perhaps be a rather intimidating figure, if not for his height. He's undeniably short, shortest in his family even. Which helps in his line of work, but has always been a bit of a sticking point for the young man.

Weapons/other combat abilities:

Hunter's Bow: Old and familiar, expertly carved from a yew tree. Its been re-stringed a few times over the years, but its balance is exquisite, and its arrows fly true and straight. Fane is an expert marksman, though he's never had any formal training. All he knows, he's learned on the fly, improvised in his line of work.

Windshot: A trick he's used on a few occasions, forming a sphere of densely packed wind, roughly basketball sized, he can fire off into a straight line. Not great for damage, but its effective at knocking things down, or people out of the way. They may end up scraped and scratched from the fall, but alive and mostly unharmed.

Wind walk: When in need to move faster, faster than he should be capable of, Fane has the ability to bend the air around himself or others to push against their backs. This decreases air resistance, letting them move faster, with added boost to each stride.

Bio: Fane's family has, for many generations, lived out their days in the dense forests of Altera in a small, secluded community of hunters. Generally, they hunt for provisions, meats and furs and things they need. Other times, those more magically inclined will hire the community to procure rare artifacts from monsters and the like. When there's a surplus, of funds or furs, the community trades with other villages for wheat, rice, easy to keep veggies and fruits. And so the village lives on, despite its isolationist stance on outsiders.

Fane is the youngest of two children born to a group of respected hunters among the community, though the only boy to be born. As such, he was the one taken out to learn to hunt, how to track animals. How to restring a bow, shoot an arrow. Everything that he'd need to become a great hunter. However when Fane was just a boy, just seven years of age, his father, his mentor, was tragically killed on a dangerous hunt, leaving his training incomplete. His mother did her best to pass on what skills she knew, but her attention was divided between both her children, and with Thalis showing a great deal of strength in magic, how could she spend the time training her son?

So the boy was left on his own much of the time, practicing by himself, shooting at targets, small animals. Honing the skills his father managed to teach him before his passing. It was in these moments, left on his own, that Fane began experimenting with his own magic. He'd always had an affinity for wind, able to make a gentle breeze, if he really thought about it. Maybe he could show he was more useful, or deserved to be trained just as much. After all, he had magic too. But Thalis had years more practice than him, and while he made some great strides, he never quite caught up to her.

One day, a pair of mages from Ibelea came to their village looking to hire an accomplished group to procure a specific artifact for them. They took notice of Thalis, called her a savant, offered to sponsor her education through the school of magic. Their mother instantly agreed, and within a month of his thirteenth birthday, the three of them had moved to the city. Fane hated the crowds, the noise, how unfamiliar everything was. He spent much of his time sneaking out of the city, returning to the nearby forests. Because when he was home, he was fighting with his family. He resented them for taking him away from everything he knew, blamed them for his current unhappiness.

It got to the point where he lashed out at his sister, and only her magic saved her. It was decided that it would be better for everyone if he lived away from them for a time, despite being just sixteen years old. He was given a small stipend, set up in a small shack down in Atvance. He spent that time trying to find a way to make a living, ending up a supplier of meat and fur. And that's how he's made his way in the world, sending letters to his family in Ibelea every few months or so. It's a lonely existence, but Fane isn't sure he could ever leave his mother and sister behind and return to his village in the woods.

Last edited:
  • Love
Name: Fane Cauthrin
Race: Human
Persuasion: Cups
Element: Air
Zodiac sign: Aries
OwO So many cups boys. So precious. I love it.

Anyway! This mostly looks good. My only question is, how old was Fane when he moved to Atvance? I read most of his bio thinking he was still a child, until all of a sudden he left home like that. I guess I just don't have much of a feel for how all these life events are spaced apart. o_o"

Once that's cleared up, though, it looks like you're all set!

• Thank You
Reactions: Kye
OwO So many cups boys. So precious. I love it.

Anyway! This mostly looks good. My only question is, how old was Fane when he moved to Atvance? I read most of his bio thinking he was still a child, until all of a sudden he left home like that. I guess I just don't have much of a feel for how all these life events are spaced apart. o_o"

Once that's cleared up, though, it looks like you're all set!

Cups Boys sounds like a band name to me xD

[BCOLOR=transparent]Name: Calder Zabat[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Age: 24[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Gender: M[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Race: Aquan[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Persuasion: Pentacles[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Element: Water[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Zodiac sign: Gemini (May 25)[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Appearance: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Calder stands proudly at 5’9. His shoulders held high and his chest up; complimenting his waist perfectly, tapering down into a lovely “V” shape before flaring out once again at the hip. He is average weight, neither too muscular nor out of shape. The scales covering his body are a pale sea green that reflect a beautiful golden color when hit just right by an outside light source.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]His facial features are soft and delicate. A small, dainty nose with an arched bridge that turns up ever so slightly at the tip rests above pouty cupid’s bow lips. His almond shaped eyes slant ever so slightly up away from high cheekbones and his piercing emerald gaze is the only thing about his face that isn’t so gentle. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]His coloration changes ever so slightly from his jawline to his fin line. Fading from the sea green to a light iridescent blue. Every one of his fins has the same anomaly in coloration save for the large dorsal-type fin on top of his head. The fin on his head is large enough to drape over his forehead when not in use, and sweeps across the left side of his face. Smaller fins line either side of this large one-- though they are not even an eighth of the size and are almost unnoticeable when laying flat. All three of these fins stretch from the front his head down to the base of his skull, and are shades cerulean, teal, and green intermingled and fading from one color to the next.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]While on land he wears simple dark grey trousers and a pack that drapes over his shoulder across his bare chest.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Weapons/other combat abilities:[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Skilled with very few martial weapons, Calder has grown accustomed to relying on raw magical abilities. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Slick Skin: Able to pull water out of the air and form it into a slippery layer of liquid that hovers just above his skin making it very difficult for him to be grabbed or grappled.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ice Armor: Able to harden his sweat to form a thin sheet of ice over his body. It does reduce his mobility and thus he only uses it in extreme cases.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ice Knives: Hardened water, either pulled out the air or poured from a canteen if the climate is too arid he is able to freeze and fight offensively with ice as well. Using them as either a close range weapon or something that can be hurled at an attacker from a distance.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Bio: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Born and raised in Emmance. Calder lived in a loving, but small and modest home. His parents were both hard workers, and provided for him as best they could. But times were not always easy and Calder wanted more out of life.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]His formative years were spent learning practical uses for his water magic. And it didn’t take long to learn how to create barriers around himself using the water on his own skin, or that in the air. The other children grew weary of playing games such as tag when they couldn’t even grab a hold of him or get their hands to his person. His parents were pacifists though, and managed to instill that value firmly into his mind. All of his focus was on shields and how to use his magic to avoid a fight at all costs.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As he aged to a teenager, his skill improved and he turned his attention beyond Emmance. He wanted more, he wanted to be wealthy. By the time he was 17 he was using his skill as a fisher he began traveling across Altera. Always looking for the best deal-- the best trade. He soon learned that trading, like everything else, had seasons. He sold hard to find kelp and seaweed. He sold shells and things long forgotten on the bottom of the sea floor. The merchants he dealt with were happy to see him, but they also knew that he drove a hard bargain, and that he wasn’t somebody they could push around on a deal. He would simply pack up and head to the next town.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Calder traveled the entirety of Altera using the river-ways and coastline. There were only a few major cities that he never bothered to add to his route. The were too out of the way, and the cost to him was too high.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Eventually he learned the hard way that defensive magic wasn’t enough to keep him safe, though unfortunately the lesson came at a high price. He was set upon by a group of ruffians, demanding that he pay a toll. Such foolishness had never before warranted a response from him, and thus he turned his nose up at them and tried to force his way past. His ice shield held up for only a few moments before the beating it was taking wore it thin and shattered it. Pieces of ice pierced his scales, and the fists that broke it pounded them in.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]When he awoke he was beaten bloody and had been robbed of all of his wares as well as his money. He slunk back into the water and swam home. A depression set in on him hard, and it was weeks before he left his house again. But when he finally did his face was set with determination. Never again would he be left without a weapon. It didn’t take him long before he had come up with his weapon. And with a bit more practice he felt confident enough to leave the safety of home once again.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]And that brings us to the present. Calder is currently in Atvance delivering a new shipment of fresh salamanders to the local businesses.[/BCOLOR]

Last edited:
Yay, we have an Aquan! :D

[BCOLOR=transparent]Name: Calder Zabat[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Age: 24[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Gender: M[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Race: Aquan[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Persuasion: Pentacles[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Element: Water[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Zodiac sign: Gemini (May 25)[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]Appearance: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Calder stands proudly at 5’9. His shoulders held high and his chest up; complimenting his waist perfectly, tapering down into a lovely “V” shape before flaring out once again at the hip. He is average weight, neither too muscular nor out of shape. The scales covering his body are a pale sea green that reflect a beautiful golden color when hit just right by an outside light source.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]His facial features are soft and delicate. A small, dainty nose with an arched bridge that turns up ever so slightly at the tip rests above pouty cupid’s bow lips. His almond shaped eyes slant ever so slightly up away from high cheekbones and his piercing emerald gaze is the only thing about his face that isn’t so gentle. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]His coloration changes ever so slightly from his jawline to his fin line. Fading from the sea green to a light iridescent blue. Every one of his fins has the same anomaly in coloration save for the large dorsal-type fin on top of his head. The fin on his head is large enough to drape over his forehead when not in use, and sweeps across the left side of his face. Smaller fins line either side of this large one-- though they are not even an eighth of the size and are almost unnoticeable when laying flat. All three of these fins stretch from the front his head down to the base of his skull, and are shades cerulean, teal, and green intermingled and fading from one color to the next.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]While on land he wears simple dark grey trousers and a pack that drapes over his shoulder across his bare chest.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Weapons/other combat abilities:[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Skilled with very few martial weapons, Calder has grown accustomed to relying on raw magical abilities. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Slick Skin: Able to pull water out of the air and form it into a slippery layer of liquid that hovers just above his skin making it very difficult for him to be grabbed or grappled.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ice Armor: Able to harden his sweat to form a thin sheet of ice over his body. It does reduce his mobility and thus he only uses it in extreme cases.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Ice Knives: Hardened water, either pulled out the air or poured from a canteen if the climate is too arid he is able to freeze and fight offensively with ice as well. Using them as either a close range weapon or something that can be hurled at an attacker from a distance.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Bio: [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Born and raised in Emmance. Calder lived in a loving, but small and modest home. His parents were both hard workers, and provided for him as best they could. But times were not always easy and Calder wanted more out of life.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]His formidable years were spent learning practical uses for his water magic. And it didn’t take long to learn how to create barriers around himself using the water on his own skin, or that in the air. The other children grew weary of playing games such as tag when they couldn’t even grab a hold of him or get their hands to his person. His parents were pacifists though, and managed to instill that value firmly into his mind. All of his focus was on shields and how to use his magic to avoid a fight at all costs.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As he aged to a teenager, his skill improved and he turned his attention beyond Emmance. He wanted more, he wanted to be wealthy. By the time he was 17 he was using his skill as a fisher he began traveling across Altera. Always looking for the best deal-- the best trade. He soon learned that trading, like everything else, had seasons. He sold hard to find kelp and seaweed. He sold shells and things long forgotten on the bottom of the sea floor. The merchants he dealt with were happy to see him, but they also knew that he drove a hard bargain, and that he wasn’t somebody they could push around on a deal. He would simply pack up and head to the next town.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Calder traveled the entirety of Altera using the river-ways and coastline. There were only a few major cities that he never bothered to add to his route. The were too out of the way, and the cost to him was too high.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Eventually he learned the hard way that defensive magic wasn’t enough to keep him safe, though unfortunately the lesson came at a high price. He was set upon by a group of ruffians, demanding that he pay a toll. Such foolishness had never before warranted a response from him, and thus he turned his nose up at them and tried to force his way past. His ice shield held up for only a few moments before the beating it was taking wore it thin and shattered it. Pieces of ice pierced his scales, and the fists that broke it pounded them in.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]When he awoke he was beaten bloody and had been robbed of all of his wares as well as his money. He slunk back into the water and swam home. A depression set in on him hard, and it was weeks before he left his house again. But when he finally did his face was set with determination. Never again would he be left without a weapon. It didn’t take him long before he had come up with his weapon. And with a bit more practice he felt confident enough to leave the safety of home once again.[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent]And that brings us to the present. Calder is currently in Atvance delivering a new shipment of fresh salamanders to the local businesses.[/BCOLOR]
Everything here looks good to me! I'll add you to the accepted list. :D

• Love
Reactions: Turtle of Doom