All the King's Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, someone was a walking armory. Judging from the way he carried himself, the guy could take on a small army without any help. Not to mention that armor wasn't just for decoration. It looked like it could stop quite a few attacks. Sildana might have been envious if she didn't prefer lighter, easier to move in armor. She didn't pay him much mind, though. All she was focused on was the food in front of her. Free food and drink trumped everything. As the guards voice boomed over the hall, silencing most idle chatter, Sildana chugged the last of the beer in her mug.

The Spellsword continued to idly eat and drink as the king made his way into the hall, not caring about whether she might be appearing rude or not. She did think, however, the king was quite the handsome fellow. Not like any of the other kings she had seen since coming from the Barrens. Akard seemed more...active? Like he wasn't going to sit around discussing politics when action was needed. That was the impression she got from this first meeting, at least.

"I think he looks like the kingliest of the kings I've seen since coming from the barren." Sildana whispered in reply to Stroud's comment, following his lead of eating more, a bit annoyed that she was out of drink herself. Maybe it was simply because Sil found him to look similar to the Elder of her village. A younger version of him, anyways - one who hasn't seen as many difficult battles with wild beasts or bandits far to the north. In any case, she listened to his words while continuing to swiftly eat the food around her while everyone else was focused on the kings words only.

So the bandit hunting was over, then? That meant there real work was going to start. She wasn't around when the Wardens were first formed, but she had asked around from some of the older members. Something about uniting the lands and ceasing any hope of war, if her memory was correct. Before continuing though, his brow furrowed and his voice took a serious turn.

They were to travel across the land and try to unite them under Morcrests banner. That, was a goal Sil could get behind. Having a unified land was something that would benefit everyone. It would be hard, but nothing worth gaining was easily obtained. There would probably be also a lot of bloodshed, but Sildana didn't linger on such things or the larger implications of the Kings words. All that mattered to her, was that she'd get to help people in the end, and get to fight things in battle. She didn't think for a second about the thing most other people feared as 'death', even if the kings words implied that they would die. To her, death was just a trivial thing that children feared. She wasn't going to be dying for this cause. She was going to live for it and drag anyone's sorry ass that thought dying was a good thing with her.

Roshi had to think. Had she drawn blades on Aslaug when they first met? That would have been more than four years ago... "You're right, I did. Pfft, at first I thought you were another bandit, then to cover my mistake I fought you bare handed and pretended to be drunk." Roshi didn't remember those times fondly, and the brief parts that she wasn't alone were cherished. Back then... Roshi had been empty. A tool sent to kill and kill and kill until there was no one left alive that could stand in her way. When she heard of the Exalted Wardens looking for her all that time ago... she'd been wondering if this king would be next on her list of targets.

As Roshi moved into the hall with Aslaug and Vidar, she thought on why she was here. She knew that others would ask nicely for the kings to lay down their arms and surrender, but that was never why Roshi was there. She was there to slay the ones who wouldn't sit down and allow this to happen. The kings were corrupt with power anyway, it followed her morals perfectly. If the king asked me to slit my own throat when this is all well and done... I would. She owed him her life, as she would have been nothing without this group and without him. She'd become another brigand or foolhardy assassin. Roshi would be as good as dead.

Rill, however, was still sizing up the king of Morcrest. He was a powerful banner to rally around, correct, but the way he told the deserters they would be as good as killing Morcrest was something that set off alarm bells in Rill's mind. There was something more going on behind the scenes, she was sure, but... she'd been a part of the Exalted Wardens for a year now. There wasn't really anything to be said about them being evil or corrupt. The group was just a bunch of people doing the best they could to fix the crappy mess they were in.

Well, even if I have to leave... then I still have the Red Claws. That's still a heck of a back up plan. Rill wondered where the king would dispatch them first? Balefall? Who knows the mind of a man planning to take over the world in the name of peace? Even though she worried about being the king's pawn, she'd do as he asked. She was being paid for this, and it wasn't like sickness would take the Wardens from her too. Rill started drinking more of the wine set out in front of her and shoveling the rest of the meat she'd grabbed into her mouth.

Reactions: Dusk
"That's it hm. I do remember someone mentioning something about that when I was joining," Yrïé thought after listening to the King's speech. "Well, as a challenge being a long-shot for peace of this land is not bad," Yrïé though while glancing over the other wardens and noticed a nervous face of an avian Wildling amongst them. "What a weakling, well I guess this is the point where the difference between some of the cowards and those which are truly brave will come out," she though about the avian Wildling but still, making sure that the other Wildling noticed her, sent a fake smile of support.
@Ketori

Sëríé somehow managed to not black out and to hear the whole speech without collapsing due to her own nervousness. "Okay, it is all okay, calm down and breathe," she though while her breathing became a irregular mix of shot shallow and deep long breaths. Her heart beat strongly and she was obviously flushed in her face while cold sweat run down her skin. With no other option left Sëríé took out one of her many ingredients - this one particularly being good at calming people or to make sleeping poison and swallowed it down. Her body and mind started to calm down and her breathing, trough still not normal, started to calm down becoming more regular and less forced with each passing moment.

Aliese, still on the spot where Asluag left her, just calmly observed the exit from the room counting how much people left the Wardens after hearing the mission that the King gave them. She hoped that the number would be small so she and the Wardens which would remain would not have to hard of a job. Well the activity was something to pass time considering that Aliese had no intention leaving the Wardens no matter the mission. "If all else failed I would just run away and move into on of the foreign branches of the assassin guild I am an ex-member of under a fake name," she thought for a moment but wished that she would not need to do so and that their quest would be successful - after all the time of peace means more work for assassins.

Loque walked through the familiar halls of the palace and when he arrived at the grand mess hall doors he organized the small company of mages together to form rows. The lot had practiced the routine on their way here but none had seen the grand mess hall before, other than Loque. So naturally he would lead. He brought out a tome of Arcane elemental summoning and summoned a gust of wind forward blowing the doors open with smooth grace, with the same gust he blew out all candles in the room. He let it go dark for a moment while those select few who were adept at summoning fire rushing inside and took positions. Each brought out their tomes and created fire in front of all of them. Loque brought out his tome and summoned a large fire, which he dispersed to light the candles of the grand mess hall. Afterwards those most adept in wind blew gusts around the hall stirring the banners and laying a cool breeze throughout the room. Those adept at lightning stepped forth and summoned some into their hands then stepped back making room for those adept at creating ice, who let out small bits of ice into the air that quickly melting into nothing. After all was done Loque stepped forth and bowed, the mages behind him did the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xanthus took a long drink, almost finishing the glass of wine when he noticed the king's bodyguard enter the room. Just as Xanthus moved to pour himself another glass, the man spoke, announcing the arrival of the king who had gathered them for this feast. Sadly, it wasn't in honor of Xanthus, but the king surprised him in appearance as the man moved towards the table, curious eyes of his fellow Exalted Wardens looking over the man as he entered the scene. He was used to kings being older and out of shape, this one was young and in fine shape, a pleasant surprise.

The man reminded him of many of the high class folk he encountered in his youth, though he did not seem as stuck up as the others, evident by cracking smile. Xanthus filled his glass as the man spoke, taking a sip before his mysterious eyes scanned around the table, watching how the others looked at the king. A slight, confident smile on his face as usual.

He almost rolled his eyes as he noticed some of the females looking lovingly at the man. Sure, the man was good looking, but not on Xanthus' level. A cape and some of the finest clothing money could buy along with a king's title would do wonders to any man. Though he would never say that to the man, or anyone who might say it to him, or anyone at all for that matter. He didn't particularly want to get scolded for saying how he was better looking than royalty.

He looked back at the king as the man finished his speech, they were all to travel throughout the land and unite the other kingdoms under Morcrest's banner. Xanthus wasn't particularly interested in being used as political item, but there had to be a lot of gold behind the man's words. Plus it would allow for a large amount of adventuring which he also enjoyed, as well as time to learn about his fellow Exalted Wardens'. His eyes hovering on Rill for moment before shifting back to look at the king.

"When are we to depart, your highness? Also, the feast is wonderful, I'm very thankful for it, I'm sure the others are as well, sir." Xanthus said to the king, his wine glass set down on the table, full attention on the man.
@Ketori

Only a couple words were necessary for Ignatius to identify Lauchlan. He was familiar enough with the man's voice to be fairly certain of it, too. Not that he had an idea what the man was apologizing for. At least not until after he spoke again. "You're far from intruding. I fancied myself some company while awaiting his Majesty. I've spent much of my night just sitting here." Although, it sounded like his night might have been the better of the two. "It has been that bad, then?" Ignatius shifted in his chair. He wasn't entirely sure whether or not Lauchlan was referring to a literal blade. Either way, he was certainly ready for the banquet to be over. "I am in agreement. Not that I am ungrateful for the food. But menageries do not suit me well."

Ignatius swirled the wine around in his goblet. Of all the things he could be doing, being here seemed the least useful. He could be practising or tending the wounded. Even something pleasurable wouldn't have been terrible if it was something he could actually enjoy. However, he had the feeling he and Lauchlan were the outliers. Most of the Exalted Wardens likely enjoyed the event a great deal. "I—"

The loud voice which announced King Akard was impossible to ignore. As was the fleeting silence after it. He heard a few hushed voices among the other Wardens as the King spoke. Ignatius, however, didn't say a word. It would bother him significantly if he missed anything. The speech did not feel particularly rousing or interesting to the mage. He wondered if it might be because he had not been with the Exalted Wardens for long. King Akard's great overarching goal had never seemed a only a dream he one day hoped to place in action. Everything seemed fine until the King's final sentence.

Ignatius grunted with displeasure. Someone seemed particularly fond of himself. Elliria was already subject to war of various kinds. It seemed a little arrogant of the King to assume his crusade was the only one which would prevent Elliria from falling to battle. In addition, the guilting ploy was more than a little distasteful.

"Oh I'm plenty used to it by now. But thanks for your concern!" Even back when it still bothered him, Saga had had no intention to leave the Exalted Wardens. Beside, the scent had never been bad, really. Just exceptionally overpowering and unfamiliar. "Ha, too used to it, perhaps." He added. "It's great you like it with us. The Wardens can be quite a friendly bunch! At least the majority. Although I never imagined we would get this large." Saga leaned back. "Hm…" He glanced briefly at his empty plate before he finished his ale. "It is exciting. Inspiring, even." Saga spoke a bit more seriously as looked out around the room. "When I first joined I never imagined so many different people could be in one place and under one cause." Many who'd been around when he first joined were gone. He tried to quiet the part of him which wanted to realize what might become of this joyous company.

The man gave a short laugh as he internally dismissed his momentary seriousness. Now wasn't the time to get caught up in such feelings. It was a time for merriment, festivity, and food. "Yeah! Lots of strong warriors - a few of whom I'm sure could wipe the floor with me." Saga started to fill his plate again. Mostly with bread this time. The bread tasted especially good tonight. "How do you like the food, Ruskin?" Saga went back to eating for only a short while before the King's herald appeared and announced his entrance. His excitement rose as King Akard spoke. Finally. After years of small skirmishes and waiting. The Exalted Wardens would go forward, they would help to bring a peace to Elliria. A peace which Saga often feared was little more than a dream.

The Wildling's enthusiasm waned some with the latter part of the King's speech. Even if King Akard's intentions were good, it sounded terrible when said like that. He set the chunk of bread he had been eating down. "Mmhp." There was something uncomfortable in some of those words. "When you say it like that…" He said to himself, quietly. With a refilled cup of ale the Wildling allowed the rest of the sentence to die unspoken. Now was not the time to doubt. With a renewed smile, Saga took another drink. There was also a lot of good to what the King said. And for that the Wildling was gladdened.

• Love
Reactions: Erranruin
Arthfael tilted his head, his eyelids drooping lazily as he regarded the wildling next to him with understanding. "Guess you're right." He was thankful that she'd asked, regardless of how he had initially responded. People constantly wiggling into his personal space could become tiresome, especially when they viewed your concept of "personal space" as being silly for an elf. He had never been made aware that elves weren't supposed to have personal space.

"I'm Arthfael," he replied and offered her his hand in greeting. "Yeah, new kid. I was expecting a harsher welcome than this, but that's not to say I'm not thankful-- I'm quite pleased. I was afraid of hazing." That fear still lingered in the back of his mind, but the longer he went without it, the less he worried and the more he could focus on honing his archery skills among more seasoned rogues. "What about you? Definitely don't look very new, but maybe my eyes are just going bad. Very real possibility that I'll have to face someday."

@Eleyvan

The king's eyes flicked over the crowd, watching the Wardens as they chattered amongst themselves. Some of them were quiet, while others spoke to one another. He didn't take the chattering as offensive; they were probably speaking to one another about his announcement. Travelling around Ellira was a feat in itself... not only that, but they had to convince each nation to join him. King Akard noticed that no one made a move to leave, much to his surprise. He had expected a few people to leave the Wardens on the spot. He supposed that he had underestimated them. A small smile crossed his lips as he continued. "I admire your bravery, Wardens," he told the men and women sitting at the table. "I knew I was right to-"

Suddenly, several more people entered the room. The leader of the group blew out the candles with a wind tome, and then relit them using a fire tome. Akard glanced at the people who made such a flashy entrance, noticing that an older elven man had been the one to enter. He sighed, shaking his head. "Loque," he greeted. "I see that you have gathered more mages. I thank you for your work."

Stroud sighed at Sildana's words. Why were most of the women swooning over the king as if he were the most handsome man in Ellira? The dark-haired rogue rested his chin in his hand, shaking his head. I'll never understand women, he thought. Slap a crown on any man and women would swoon for them in an instant.

"In regards to the question that was asked," Akard's voice boomed across the mess hall once more, sitting straight. "The Exalted Wardens shall leave as soon as possible. I prefer for you to embark on the journey first thing tomorrow."

Zuria nodded at the king's words. They would have to set out as soon as they could. Who knew, maybe it would take years to complete their journey. The spellsword knew that this was what they must do-- there was no room for cowardice. "We shall do so, your highness."

"Good," Akard nodded, obviously pleased. "Also, I would appreciate it if the Exalted Wardens assigned a captain and lieutenant to guide you on your journey. Along with a tactician, of course. I expect the Wardens to settle this decision in an appropriate manner. "

At that, Zuria became quiet. She didn't know who would be chosen as first and second in commands, along with someone who would plan strategy.

Aria frowned. So they were to go first thing tomorrow morning. Maybe they would head to Kalico, or even Balefall. Or maybe to the Wild Lands, so they could gather more forces? She would love it if they went there again. But visiting Balefall would be amazing! She hadn't been somewhere tropical all her life. Her anxiety was wearing down little by little. She would be fine... she had to be, right? As long as they all helped each other, no one would die. Her pale gaze flicked around the mess hall, spotting a fox Wildling offering her a smile. A small smile crossed her lips as well, a russet blush following after. After noticing that she was flushed, her smile fell from her face, and she looked down, embarrassed.

Radnor and Ruskin had fell completely silent as soon as the King had made his entrance hardly hearing a word their new friend/acquaintance Saga. They were going on another mission so soon? Radnor could hardly contain his excitement. He had been a little hyper active lately from the lack of being able to do anything. Well now here was his chance to go out and do something for now only the Wardens but for the Kingdom itself! What more could he have asked for? He knew the mission would be dangerous at times but he would be careful right now all he wanted to know were more specifics and to get moving as soon as possible. Hell he'd leave right that minute if the king ordered them to.

Ruskin on the other hand fell even more silent at the kings words if that was even possible for the masked Rogue to do. He didn't take the King for a fool but at the moment he sure sounded like one. He surely knew that this wasn't going to simple as walking up to the front door and saying"hi we're the wardens sent by King Akard we're here to tell you to lay down your arms or else face the consequences. oh and you'll be joining under our kings rule as well have a good day" Ruskin shook his head and leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. No. This mission was going to be a lot more difficult then any of them would realize. If they were lucky they might all just come back alive. If not then they'll either end up dead or in some prison somewhere left to rot.

As the King's words echoed and were heard throughout the Hall Aslaug watched for people leaving, expecting many to turn from the King's mission and his words. To her great surprise, no one did. Immediately her impression of everyone gathered here skyrocketed. To stay the course, to remain knowing they might die in this venture, it drew the deepest respect from the Warrior. No one could be a soldier and be so naive as to believe that their lives were secure. These men and women were offering up themselves for the cause, even with the King's underhanded words, even when most of them were in the prime of their life with everything to live for. She hoped Akard truly appreciated how much his Wardens were sacrificing. She made a promise to herself then, that she would bring as many of these young and brave people back as she could, defend them until her body gave out.

She was struck from her silent reverie when the massive great doors crashed open and all the lights snuffed out in a moment. She drew her sword without thinking, grasping up her shield and pelting forward to defend the King. She feared treachery, having been ambushed enough times to be cautious, but she skidded to a halt a few feet from the King's chair when the lights were roared back into life. She stood tense and with a frown of confusion darkening her features before the magical display clicked in her mind and she breathed an angry sigh of relief. She also muttered a curse under her breath as she sheathed her sword with a little more force than necessary. Honestly she could have taken someone's head off.

She turned a glare towards the newest, fashionably late, arrivals and recognised Loque amongst the throng. She was just a little surprised. In all the long years she had known him, she had taken him for more calm than flashy. But she supposed it was important to show off when it came to new recruits to the order, which was what she assumed the twenty other gathered sorcerers were who'd just disturbed the peace.

With effort, she controlled her heart rate and let her muscles relax, letting her shield drop to rest against her legs as she crossed her arms to once again pay attention to the King's words.

Aslaug was at least pleased to be leaving so soon. She had expected a long wait full of ceremonial pa-lava and political bickering so the revelation that they would be leaving on the morrow was certainly a relief. However, again, she found herself frowning at the King's words. The Wardens should assign themselves a Leader? Just the concept of that burst a million problems into Aslaug's mind. She was unused to operating under anything but military regimen and discipline and the idea of electing their Commander seemed just... contrary to all the rules of running an army. She had but a moments hesitation, confused as to whether they were an army at all, but in the end she spoke her mind. She straightened and let her powerful voice carry across the Hall to the King.

"With all due respect, Your Majesty, the Exalted Wardens are your Force. You brought us together and it is you who gives us purpose. It should be your decision, our Commander's decision, who acts as your Captain for the Order. Many gathered here are new to the Wardens, how would they even know whom would be best?" She sighed and shifted her weight onto her right foot, relaxing her stance for what she was about to say next, steeling herself against the bitter tasting words. "Suggestions can be given. For example, I would suggest myself considering I have experience in leadership. I would also place faith in Vienne or Yrie as a Captain, Lauchlan for a Lieutenant, Loque or even Stroud for our Tactician. But in the end such things can do nothing but inform and advise you on a judgement that, I believe, you must be the one to make. If nothing else, who knows all of us better than yourself?" She finished speaking with some sense of relief, but also trepidation. If she was called upon to lead again then she would do so, no matter how much she had avoided it in the years prior. She kept a firm and assured gaze upon the King, hunkering into her relaxed stance as she expected others to voice their thoughts.

@HellHoundWoof
@gamer5
@Eleyvan
@PetticoatLane
@Ketori

• Love
Reactions: senpai and Dusk
Sildana was still enjoying the food, her consumption just now starting to slow. In the time since she had arrived, she had effectively cleaned three plates of food, and downed at least five full mugs of beer. It seemed that very few things would tear her attention from the feast in front of her. Even the words of the king had been a momentary distraction. And then, that's when some annoying uppity mage decided to make an annoyingly flashy entrance. Really, really, bad way to greet Sildana. If this wasn't a public space and they weren't all guests of the king, someone would have gotten fried to various forms of crispiness.

First, the candles in the room were blown out by a gust of wind. A few of the other mages lit fires themselves, while the one who looked to be their leader summoned a large ball of fire. The fire dispersed to the candles around the mess hall, re-lighting the place with ease. All in all, Sildana could do nothing but frown at the pompous, needless, annoying, and overall irritating display. While Sildana was normally friendly to most, people who were mages didn't receive that kindness. Especially those who had an annoying ability for theatrics such as this. Anyone who demanded attention like this was utterly useless as far as she was concerned. She shot the man who seemed to be their leader a glare. If she wasn't in the kings presence, she was certain she would have a few choice 'words' for them.

The mage-hunter shook her head however, and focused back on Akard who had started speaking again. She would tolerate these mages, if only because he seemed to know the King. Turns out the mans name was Loque. She let out a huff and finished her last mug of Beer for the feast. she didn't feel much like eating anymore. Instead, she leaned back in her seat and folded her arms across her chest and listened to the kings next words.

So they were to leave tomorrow morning then? Well, she would have liked at least another day to sit around and do nothing, but if those were orders, those were orders.

"Aye, we'll get to it at first light t'morrow." Sildana replied after Zuria. A captain, lieutenant, and tactician? Well, she wasn't really either of those things. She'd rather be on the front lines in the thick of battle, or at least close to them. Ah well, she didn't give it much thought. She'd let the ones who did that kind of thing better figure it out. Like Aslaug, who was currently giving Akard a piece of her mind. Something about everyone here being rather new and about how Akard should be the one who picked the leaders.

Well, the older warrior did had a point. She'd be glad to follow Aslaug into battle. Her and the warrior may not have always gotten along, but she was a strong woman who knew how to get things done.

"If'n it makes ya feel better Aslaug, I'd be willin' ta follow ye into battle." Sil stood, and replied after the other woman fell silent as she expressed her own thoughts. "I ain't much of a leader or what 'ave you myself."

@Ketori
@Erranruin
@HellHoundWoof

Reactions: Erranruin
"It makes me happy to see you in good health King Akard," Loque said rising from his bow and approaching his king, he saw Aslaug there as well and smiled walking over to her, "How have you fared Aslaug? I trust my absence plagued you often?"

Loque smirked and joked a bit with Aslaug then grew serious hearing hearing talk of who should lead the Wardens. Loque heard his name being called for Tactician, while flattered he knew his skills were less likely to be used in the field and more in the diplomatic stages of their quest. He agreed that the King should no doubt be the leader of his armies but also saw a secondary option, his mind being the diplomatic enigma that it was.

"While I agree that the King is an important presence in any campaign, one must stay behind to govern the homestead. In the event that our King cannot come with us I suggest we elect three people to lead the campaign, so that there may be no tie between decisions. And should there be a need for the armies to disperse we can send the three each with them. Of course these three will need to be of able bodies and incredible minds, I suggest Aslaug and I as two of the leaders. Between the two of us we have more experience with magic and battle than half the Wardens gathered here combined. The third can be voted upon, or selected by the King however he would like it to be done."

Roshi had been happy enough to listen quietly to the king speak about their mission and how they were going to be really busy from this day onward. That is, until Loque made his entrance. Roshi snapped from being relaxed to on edge, pressing against the wall nearest to the door and following behind the figure, Karma and Mercy already drawn and ready to strike. As the display went on, her urge to strike the man down rose as well, and the only thing that saved him was when Roshi recognized his voice when he spoke. Roshi made no small show of sheathing her weapons behind him, making sure they made noise. "For future reference, Loque, try not to scare the living hell out of the recruits. That's my job and unless you tell me what you're doing, you're going to end up with a dagger in the back."

Roshi slid back, letting Aslaug talk with him. It was likely that Roshi wasn't the only one unnerved by the display, and Aslaug would be more willing to have a long yelling match at him about his erroneous display that would set anyone who hated magic on edge even further. He was lucky to have been a Warden so long or she would have found a way to have him 'meet' an accident along the way. Everything about him screamed that he was not to be trusted somehow, even if Roshi knew his loyalty.

@HellHoundWoof

Rill was, as predicted, on her feet and ready to kill at a moment's notice when the wind swept through the hall. She tried not to transform in the hall, but failed. The large cat's eyes were sweeping back and forth between the fifty something mages, trying to pick out the leader. When the king spoke, her fear was put only slightly at ease. Her teeth were still bared and ears still flattened, she was ready to strike if even one mage cast another spell or did something.

She tried to calm down, but only managed to shake her head and slow her breathing somewhat. There were so many... and she was surrounded. If they wanted to kill her they could, so she didn't let her guard down. She continued eating, this time forgoing the utensils set before her. She took eat bite carefully, as though she were to flee at any moment.

Draining his goblet of its contents, Lauchlan finally turned his attention on the pear he'd been toying with and took a bite of it. He had regained most of his composure - and perhaps eating something little could rekindle his appetite.

"Heh, had I known that I'd have come over sooner and spared myself Roshi's little stunt." He said, a tone of contempt clearly conveying how he'd felt about her actions. Some may find it entertaining - but he had yet to think of a situation in which having a blade against someone was "funny."

Taking another bite of the pear, Lauchlan reached over to grab one of the gaudy cloth napkins and found himself giving it a look of incredulity. He didn't care if this was a palace - no one needed such decorative and garish pieces of cloth to wipe one's face on. This entire event was ridiculous and thinking about it was merely making his headache worse. Turning his focus back to Ignatius as he spoke, Lauchlan gave a nod at the mention of the array of food.

"Mm, I just feel that it's a needless show of extrava--" Cutting himself off as he realized what the other had actually meant, he made an effort to recover, "Right, I can see-- I mean--… It… Yes." He gave a slight huff of obvious discomfiture and immediately stood, reaching for the nearest bottle of wine to refill his goblet. All he wanted was to be done here; formal occasions clearly did nothing but make him anxiously imbecilic - and there were vastly greater uses for his time.

Having again taken a seat, Lauchlan had glanced back over at the mage when Akard's arrival drew all attention to the front of the hall. Listening with intent throughout the man's speech, the warrior found himself in agreement and was pleased to see that no one made any motion to leave upon the invitation to do so. He had been with the Wardens a few months shy of a year, but he felt that most (if not all) of the men and women were truly committed to the cause - and this served to raise his dour mood. At the King's final words, however, Lauchlan felt a slight snarl tugging his lips; his briefly elevated mood plummeted into anger and he very nearly stood to protest such arrogant words. By some miracle, he remained seated and silent.

Then the lights went out.

Immediately, Lauchlan was on his feet, sending his chair toppling over onto the ground with a clatter. He had neither his axe nor his sword with him, but that did not stop him from sinking back into a solid stance, his fists raised defensively; even unarmed, he would not make this an easy fight. Mere seconds later, light was restored and he cast his glance wildly about the hall. Aslaug had run to defend the king - and she looked about as bewildered as Lauchlan felt. Eyeing the group of mages, he lowered his fists though he regarded them with a wary expression. He had no issue with magic-users, but such an entrance had been uncalled for. Scowling at the newcomers, Lauchlan righted his chair before seating himself and wrapping the cloth back about his face.

"That," he murmured, "Was entirely unnecessary."

Lauchlan said nothing more as the man, Loque, gave greeting and King Akard resumed speaking of their work. He was pleased to hear that they were to set out in the morning - he was getting quite bored of Morcrest and he needed something more to keep his mind from unwanted thoughts. He was also quite surprised to hear Aslaug suggest him for the position of Lieutenant and he glanced up at the woman though he kept his silence. She would make a fine Captain, he was sure of that, though he'd never been in a role of leadership before -- he'd always worked on his own. Nevertheless, he was honoured that she would even consider him for such and it served to placate his anger at Loque's entrance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was cold.

Given, Sadira had expected the weather to be different the further North they traveled, but his mental preparedness did not prevent his skin from prickling in the brisk winds. His traveling companion, Loque, had seemed quite accustomed to the cooler temperatures though he had been kind enough to stop and allow Sadira to purchase more appropriate attire as they continued their journey to Morcrest. Having met the man in Vanthorn, Sadira had become immediately enamoured with the concept of the Exalted Wardens and had expressed his interested in joining them. Loque had required an intense display of his powers, and, afterward, seemed content enough with them to take the man and his gryphon North. They were accompanied by several other mages and, upon reaching the palace had been informed that they were to provide a display of their skill. He had neglected to mention that it would be in front of all of the other Wardens.

Finding himself facing the great doors of a foreign palace about to go before the king, and the entire company the mage was about to join, made Sadira more than just a little nervous. Reaching out to run his fingers through his gryphon's feathers, the mage issued a shaky breath then smoothed the edges of his white, fur-lined cloak. Lotus seemed anxious as well; she was nervous - he doubted she experienced any sort of stage fright, but being in a new place, surrounded by so many unfamiliar people made the animal wary. From what he'd gathered, Lotus was quite tall compared to many of the gryphons found in the Northern kingdoms, (she stood with her head a bit taller than his own) though she was of much slighter build. He supposed it was because of this that she had drawn a fair amount of attention - though she did not like to be approached by strangers and she'd snapped and screeched at most everyone. He hoped that would not be the case tonight.

As the great doors were blown open by a gust of wind from Loque's tome, Sadira set a hand on Lotus' shoulder and they advanced into the hall while the fire-wielders relit the candles about the room. It had been quite an entrance, though judging by the reactions of many, it did not seem to be an overly-welcomed display. One particularly fierce-looking woman had rushed toward what looked to be the king, one man had jumped up and looked ready to brawl, while others gripped their weapons. Sadira pressed closer to Lotus, his cheeks flushed very faintly with a pink tinge of embarrassment though he kept a small smile on his lips.

It did nothing to ease Sadira's nerves that white did not seem to be a prevalent colour of attire in this kingdom and he could feel numerous sets of eyes passing over them - he knew they stood out and he gazed about the room, trying to look as amiable as possible. Lotus clicked her beak a few times in annoyance. This would not have been the way in which he chose to introduce himself - but what was done was done. He just hoped that it would not put a damper on his ability to befriend his new comrades. As they approached the king and bowed, Sadira showed the gryphon a hand gesture and she reluctantly took a knee, her tail twitching in annoyance.

After their brief introduction, the mages parted to the sides of the hall to allow the king to continue speaking. Unsure of exactly where to go, Sadira led Lotus off toward a cluster of what looked to be humans and wildlings. During their "grand entrance" one of the women had transformed into a great cat and Sadira could barely stifle his curiosity.

"Good evening." He said, greeting the group of people with a sincere smile, "I am honoured to be here, but I feel as though some apology is needed for startling everyone. I do not believe it was Loque's desire to do so." He spoke with a pleasant, lilting tone that very likely belied his origins, though he had yet to receive any hostility for being a foreigner -- a welcome relief from Balefall. "My name is Sadira and this," he gestured to the gryphon who was hungrily eyeing the table of food, "Is Lotus. We are both very glad to be of service to such a noble cause as this." He gave another slight bow, eager golden eyes fixed on the group of Wardens.

@Eleyvan
@RainDash
@Ketori
@Erranruin
@FrenziedAce

Reactions: Dusk and Erranruin
Sëríé glared at the magic display with anger rising in her heart but managed to calm herself down quickly with a single though: "Its okay, they are fellow Wardens and if they used magic for evil I or someone other from the Wardens would cut them down." She continued to eat and listen to what was being said with a watchful eye on the mages. She wondered who will the leader be and hoped it would not be a mage.

Aliese, after the impressive magic display just smirked a bit while thinking: "Not a bad show but in four out of five cases, if not more, most mages are to slow with their magic to match my bow. And that means death if I am the opponent. Trough magic does have its uses." She watched on to see what next will happen in the hall, not really interested in who gets leadership as long as he or she is capable enough.

Yrïé was surprised to hear her name from Aslaug. Sure, Yrïé was a calm and level-headed person, but she had no leadership experience and further, she didn't even want leadership. So after finishing gulping down her current bite she spoke up, strongly enough to be heard trough the whole room but not loud enough to turn it into a shout: "Asluag does me honor by speaking my name as a captain candidate your Kingship, but I am afraid that except for a sound head on my shoulders I would make a poor leader, mostly due to lack of experience in leadership and poor talking skills. I would suggest that someone that is not to hot-headed with at least some leadership experience takes that role." After finishing talking Yrïé bowed her head politely to the King.

@Erranruin
@Ketori

Xanthus watched as Loque made his entrance, the mercenary's eyes staring at the mage as he made his grand, very unsubtle entrance. He had stayed seated, unlike some of the others. One of his hands was under the table, fingers resting right on the sheath of his dagger, ready to grab the blade and drive it into the chest of one of the new arrivals. He relaxed in his seat as the scene calmed down, this man, Loque was another warden.

He stayed quiet for a few moments as the talk of who would lead the group circled around the table. Xanthus took a sip from his glass of wine as names were tossed around, some volunteering. He had no desire to lead the group, he never liked to be a leader, painted a huge target on your back whenever you were one.

"I by no means intend to disagree with the his higness' suggestion, but I would just like to say that perhaps we should wait before electing leadership. While I don't doubt any of the suggested persons' leadership qualities, I feel it is better to see how it plays out as the mission progresses. Naturally, leaders will emerge, those that are not leaders will fall in line," Xanthus said, looking around the table at several of the people. "That also does not mean I put myself forward as a leader, I'll respectfully decline that honor, though if anyone felt the need to put my name forward, the gesture is appreciated." He added, smirking.

"Also, I sincerely hope that you don't use the same type of entrance you just did on a battlefield, Loque. It's one thing to do it in a banquet, another to do it while assaulting an enemy encampment. Doing it in the second will get you filled with arrows quickly." Xanthus said to Loque, a grin on his face as he looked at the mage.

@HellHoundWoof
@gamer5
@Eleyvan
@Ketori
@Erranruin

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
Loque listened as many others spoke up, it wasnt entirely necessary that they all speak unless they had a different idea that was. When one man spoke his name Loque turned around and looked at him, listening to what he had to say. Loque chuckled a bit and looked at the man dead in his eyes.

"Surely you cannot mistake a theatrical entrance to announce my return after many months, one which endeveavored to show the power I have brought to the Warden's side, as a battle trick."

Loque walked over to the man and stood close to him, "I assure you should I be called to 'assault an enemy encampment' as it were, I will let loose the entirety of my power, and burn it to the ground with anyone in the way. While you may say that in a joking manner, I assure you the lack of confidence in my capability in combat shines through the grin that you have on your face. So if it would please everyone in the room, I am a competent mage with skills beyond the norm of my colleagues. Whether you are, Archer, Hunter, Wildling, Knight, Rogue, or even an Assassin, wipe all doubt in my powers from your mind. And I will spare those of you who are nervous about my entrance and intentions the sight of it again."

The political speech was tedious, but it finally ended, much to Ezra's relief. Already, the crowd was chattering about who should be the captain of the group but to the elf, it was a no-brainer. Like everyone else (Or mostly, to be safe), she'd nominate Aslaug. Aslaug showed promising victory to all of the Exalted Wardens, her winning battles as an example. The only thing Ezra would question about is her rash decisions and ruckus behavior--she prefer stealth rather than screaming a bloody war cry. But perhaps she shouldn't think too much of it...and who knows, maybe Aslaug wouldn't be selected as leader at all.

Ezra leaned against the wall and took a bored sip of her beer, the huge mug nearly covering her face. It tasted like cat piss, a beverage she wouldn't normally like but it was something to get her mind off from the party. And it's might as well to enjoy the feast and get her belly fat for tomorrow; they'll be on a long journey by then. And that means less meals. Ezra wouldn't be surprise if she finds someone boiling leather boots as supper when they run out of food.

She was about to take another swig of the mug when she was interrupted by a violent gush of wind coming through her way--the first thing that came to mind was invasion. She wasn't wearing her armor and didn't bring any of her weapons, but there was a pitchfork stabbed on a turkey and she could use that for defense; but it turns out, it was nothing at all. Just damn mages. How she knew was finding a source of light; fire, she presumed; and the man who gushed in (With the rest of his followers) lit up the candles once again with his magical powers. Ezra made no effort to hide her disapproved scowl. They just have to be dramatic about everything.

The show was over and everything was back to normal, but Ezra's streak of annoyance worsen when she observed the man who caused the incident earlier. She wasn't too far from the group the mage-user joined, and when he explained; she came to conclusion he was nothing but a show off. Aslaug was there, engaging a serious conversation with their comrades, but she chose not to bother. They're discussing about politics--who'd want to get into that? Not Ezra, not tonight.

Ripping her gaze away from the group of wardens, the tall elf straightened her relaxed position and strolled to the buffet. After a couple of cute bites of berries (Or whatever's on here), she'll probably be on her way. And maybe sneak out some meat while she's at it.

Character mentioned:
Aslaug - @Erranruin
Loque - @HellHoundWoof

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Romaan
Well, the hall certainly exploded into activity after that. Aslaug wasn't surprised that so many of her comrades shared her low opinion of Loque's entrance. Honestly, the man was supposed to be a diplomat. Even as she thought this, she knew it to be unfair. He was a very good diplomat, she had seen it many times. But still... this seemed a foolish way to introduce himself and his new recruits to an Order with more than a few individuals with Anti-Mage leanings. Aslaug would include herself in that, if she was being honest.

Her mood was lightened by a bold voice that emanated from somewhere down the table. Sildana and Aslaug had a rather up and down relationship but when it came to people, Aslaug trusted and respected her more than most. The woman stood up from her seat and Aslaug grinned at her with some small gratitude, however a brief and unnoticeable shadow passed across her face. "I'll follow you" was a phrase Aslaug had heard many times in her life and while it was bolstering to hear, it also came with a heavy sense of dread.

Loque addressed her and she drew her attention away from Sildana reluctantly, her gaze on him still a glare of annoyance. "I feel more plagued now you're here. Your display nearly made me lop heads off." She grunted, half amused but still quite disapproving. Roshi admonished him as well and Aslaug gestured to her friend, as though it bolstered her point. "Yes, that. See?"

Some way away she briefly noticed a Griffon stride in with a rider at its side. It was a pretty thing and Aslaug immediately knew Bjorn would be delighted to meet her, feeling sorry for her Griffon considering the elegant air this lady held herself with. She doubted her Companion's attentions would be well receieved.

Suddenly Xanthus spoke up and Aslaug was again sent into disapproval and confusion. Bandits and highwaymen were one thing, but going into a Quest such as this without leadership was pure madness. Wait for a Leader to grow? Was their Captain going to spring from the ground like a flower? They were a big enough Order now to be disorderly, what were they going to do before their chosen Leader made themselves known? It was the height of foolishness as a plan and Aslaug was set into another frown by the suggestion. She was just about to give Xanthus a piece of her mind when he decided to antagonise Loque and that sent the Mage into a defensive diatribe and frankly Aslaug didn't have time for it.

She marched away from them both, leaving Xanthus in Loque's hands with a roll of her eyes before making her way over to the King. "Your Grace.." She began, exasperated. "No matter the manner of choosing, I would Strongly Advise against leaving the City without proper Leadership. How you do it, I no longer care, but let us sort it tonight whilst we are gathered together, yes?"

Morcrest Castle
Vidar
Vidar was overwhelmed.

It was in no way strange for him to be so. Just one year ago, he was scrubbing the tables of a Kalico noblewoman. Now he was being addressed by the king of Morcrest. Just one year ago, the most magic he saw was a terrified young girl burning a tree. Now he just witness a true mage's control over all four arcane magics. Just one year ago, he was smiling and having a nice chat with some other servant boys in his house.

...Now, he was in the vanguard ready to consume his homeland.

He followed Roshi and Aslaug back into the hall to listen to the king's speech. He already knew the Exalted Wardens purpose, but it was only now that it really hit him. At first, Vidar only joined them because they saved his life from the ire of Kalico's noblemen. Kalico was still his home, and he felt no loyalty towards Morcrest or its king. When he heard of King Akard's dream of uniting Ellira, however, and how he built up not an army but an elite group to convince the other realms to unite, Vidar felt himself subconsciously supporting him. Though the Exalted Wardens were of any background, they held a certain air of renown and honor. These past five years, their numbers grew and their deeds helped the people of Morcrest. Even if Vidar and some others arrived less than a year ago, the Exalted Wardens were groomed to be powerful ambassadors and figureheads. King Akard dreamed of peace, and wanted to acquire his peace without destruction. It was a way Vidar could look up to. He took a deep breath, only now realizing that his clenched hands were trembling.

It did not make the thought of replacing Kalico banners with Morcrest's any easier.

Vidar shook his head, striking the thought from his mind. The leaders of Kalico would not be so benevolent or tolerant as King Akard if they were in his place. Even if it goes under a different name under a different king, Vidar's home was still there. Who knows, Vidar joked to himself, maybe at the end of all this I will return as a newly appointed noble myself!

Breaking from his thoughts, Vidar returned his senses and attention to the castle hall. The air was charged with energy, but not in a good way. Everyone was searching for leaders while chastising the entrance of the mage named Loque. Vidar shared similar views to the Wardens who spoke out, but he felt no need to voice his opinion. It would be redundant, and Vidar disapproved of the way Loque defended himself. He had enough of people with uselessly inflated egos looking down on others in Kalico, but now Vidar felt that Morcrest wasn't so different after all.

Regardless, a lot of support was towards Aslaug leading the Exalted Wardens. Vidar didn't have any complaints, but he stayed silent. He assumed that his opinion would hold little influence as he was still relatively new to the Wardens. Instead, he took the time to carefully study all the mages that Loque brought with him. The more he examined, the more apprehensive he felt. He didn't have anything against the mages and may even learn to trust them. Their magic, though... Vidar could not imagine himself relying on such demonic influences. He worried for their sake; as extravagant as their entrance was, he could only see it as them tempting demons.

Vidar wandered back towards the entrance of the courtyard and leaned against a wall near the entryway. He preferred the fresh air that blew in rather than the lingering concoction of rich food and dried blood that permeated the hall's center. Vidar had little to say. No, rather, anything that Vidar had to say was probably worthless. He'd speak if someone tried nominating a poor choice for a leader, but Vidar didn't personally know too many of the Wardens.

Vidar decided to take this time to study as many of the Wardens as possible. It was a good chance since they were all gathered here, and who knows? Maybe Vidar might find among them one who shares his feelings and insecurities... Or maybe Vidar is the only servant from another kingdom in the Exalted Wardens. As delightful as being unique sounded, being isolated was not something Vidar looked forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.