All the King's Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yes Ser Lucas. It might not be a surprise that he meet a ugly end. Trough not from me, I was after his son at that time. He was betrayed and butchered up by his own men a few weeks later, trough rumors say that it was one of the merchant guilds that he pushed to far that payed for it, who knows maybe that guild also paid for the son, not like the two were much different by personality" Aliese talked which searching for something trough her pockets: "As for imposters of you I had a run into one, was not even worth the arrow that killed that it." Finally finding what she was searching, a weird cloth with made out of cotton and sponge Aliese extended this cloth towards Aslaug. "Here use this to wipe out the blood as much as possible," she said while extending her hand and spoke on while she waited for Aslaug to take it: "And you might not have heard my name but maybe you did hear rumors about an assassin that always kills with a single non-poisoned arrow. As for my reason for joining the Wardens, well let's say it is a test for my skills combined with a escape for various suitors which "attacked" me during the past year of rest in this city. Oh and the paycheck is good."

@Erranruin

Aslaug did take the token with a brief smile of gratitude, however it really didn't do much good. As much blood as she could hurriedly daub from her face, there was twice more in her hair and staining the cloth of her undershirt. Also, Aslaug did not try very hard. She truly did not care nor could she bring herself too, even in the presence of royalty. Eventually she would have a bath and then a day or so later she would be once against caked in blood and mud and bile so what was the point? She'd clean herself up once the banquett was over.

Still, now at least her face was free of stains, her striking features more exposed to the warm light of the hall. She handed the thing back, now red and stickey. "Suitors?" She asked with a quiet but dark laugh. She didn't sound amused, more disbelieving. "Why didn't you just get rid of them? If they attacked you, there is no need to worry about your conscience."

@gamer5

"Sometimes it is best to be unremarkable, allows one to blend in with a crowd, strike when the moment is best, where a weakness can be found," Xanthus said to Rill, the smile still on his face, before he scooped an apple off the table then took a seat next to Sildana, his eyes looking back at Rill as he spoke once more.

"Everyone has a weakness, whether it be in battle or otherwise, I know a way to find both. Now a beautiful woman with a title, a leader of a fierce army, one such as that seems to be one most impressed by feats of great strength or skill. Something such as presenting a dragon's head, freshly removed from the body, blood still drying on the neckline, striking eyes open in one final death stare or a maybe coat made of pure phoenix feather, all of the avians caught in the wilderness. I, Xanthus, could do all of these tasks if I was committed enough." He said to her.

"Though I'm sure a female of your prestige would have no want of an unremarkable mercenary such as me. I could only hope to one day earn my place alongside the powerful Rill, leader of the Red Claws." He added, grinning at her as he took a bite out of the apple.

@RainDash

Morcrest Castle
Vidar

Vidar's appetite waned as he overheard a Wildling Warden rebuff Xanthus. Why she spoke so harshly Vidar did not know, but he assumed Xanthus said something offensive before Vidar arrived in the castle hall. However, now that he was deeper into the hall filled with Wardens, the metallic stench of blood that lingered was enough to quell what was left of Vidar's hunger and set him on edge. His hand gingerly grasped the hilt of the sword at his waist, but it offered him little comfort. Taking a deep breath to calm himself, he looked around in search of a window or door that he could stay near. He imagined that some fresh air might help him regain his appetite.

In his search, he spotted Lauchlan heading out and being followed by another Warden. Normally that wouldn't be very remarkable, but the other Warden was covered in blood and the manner in which she trailed him wasn't particularly friendly. Vidar wondered about her purpose for stalking him in such a fashion, but any answer he thought up wasn't a pleasant one. Vidar decided to trail after them out of caution, and it wasn't long for the Warden to bring out her dagger and speak to Lauchlan almost threateningly. Vidar was now glad that he followed them. Vidar knew of no reason for the other Warden to act so maliciously, and he'll be damned if he just turned a blind eye after seeing her pull out a blade.

"Forgive me if I am in the wrong, ma'am," Vidar called out a few feet away from them, trying to keep up his serious expression, "but in Kalico, drawing your blade unprovoked is oft considered more than just rude."

Vidar's hand remained on his sword's hilt, though he attempted to make sure his posture was as non-threatening as possible. He'd bring out his sword to defend himself, but Vidar wasn't keen on fighting a fellow Warden. Much less a blood-stained one that looked like an assassin.

@RainDash
@PetticoatLane, too I suppose

Last edited by a moderator:
The room had become little more than a sea of indistinguishable voices. Ignatius could barely even hear the words of the two unfamiliar Wardens who sat next to him. He did pick up a few bits of their conversation which included the drink selection and how generous King Akard was, though. The mage had arrived early in order to secure a seat. This backfired. Not the type with a strong appetite, Ignatius had finished eating some time ago and was now sitting quite bored. Although the food had been delicious, the man wasn't particularly fond of crowds of this size. He found it nearly impossible to pick anyone out. Not that he didn't think the feast had its uses. Ignatius guessed King Akard was hosting it as a means to raise morale. Not because he was simply generous. The man leaned back into his chair and took a sip of the wine from the goblet in his hand. If his Majesty was going to say something, Ignatius hoped it would be sooner rather than later.

It had been a long while since Vienne had been in a place with this many people, at least outside the battlefield. The fact that so many people from various walks of life could come together for a single cause never seemed to surprise her when she witnessed its potential. She caught sight of Rill as well as several of the other Wardens she was familiar with, but chose not to engage with them. The Wildling personally preferred not to enter the heart of activities and instead stayed to the outskirts of the room. Not that she didn't dive in now-and-then to refill her plate with the massive bounty of free food. Most the food had a bit of a complex flavour for her liking, but her appetite didn't complain at the quantity.

Vienne planned to eat her food by herself. However, she spotted a young-looking Elf sitting by himself. On the floor. It seemed odd behaviour, which made her a bit curious. And she felt a bit of company would be good for her. Plus she found it easier to interact with people she was unfamiliar with when they were alone, rather than in a group. Vienne made her way over, full plate in hand. "Hello. Do you mind if I sit with you?"

The feline Wildling arrived significantly after the start of the event. The night had seemed much too alive to pass up on a late night stroll. At the time of his arrival Saga spotted many familiar faces as well as plenty of unfamiliar ones. "We're certainly growing quickly." He said to himself. Without much more delay he made his way into the thick of the room in search of the delicious foods which he could smell. While on the prowl he spotted an empty chair next to two brothers he was mostly unfamiliar with.

"Hey, Radnor and Ruskin, right?" Saga asked as he slung himself into the empty seat and started to fill his plate with meats and bread. "I'm Saga." He paused to bite into a chunk of bread. After swallowing he continued. "Are you enjoying the banquet?"

@CheekyBeretta
@Andy

• Love
Reactions: Erranruin
The two brothers looked up at the feline Wilding and paused. They had certainly not talked to this one before although..to them all wildings of the same race looked the same. They didn't mean to say that or think that way to be rude but they got them confused easily. Radnor nodded and extended his hand towards the Wilding known as Saga "nice to meet you I'm Radnor this is my younger brother Ruskin..you'll have to excuse him he's not very..sociable around new people he's always been like that since childhood" Ruskin gave him a quick jab to the ribs to shut him up before he pulled his mask back down to cover his face. He gave Saga a small nod before he returned to his meal "you'll have to excuse me if I forget your name Saga I don't mean to be rude but all you Wildings of the same clan look the same to me one time I got two Wildings mixed up and that caused all kinds of trouble"

@Eleyvan

Last edited:
"Trough I did consider giving some of them an arrow I didn't want to bother while resting from shooting people. By "attack" I mean flood with endless bouquets of flowers, invitations to parties, baskets full of food, troubadours and even official marriage proposals, just to list some of the more methods they used. Ha like I would fall for something for that. I am a woman that appreciates money but I am not that cheep," Aliese explained after taking the cloth back from Aslaug and wriggling it out: "You really had a ton of blood of you. That reminds me of this one guy that was a target of a fellow member in my guild. The target was given a poison that made him bleed pretty much from everywhere. That was one bloody end."

@Erranruin

Rill rested her head on her hands as he spoke. After a few sentences, she started to drift off, vaguely irritated. She was tempted to roll her eyes at him, but that would be rude and he was trying so hard to look intimidating and be flattering. However, her irritation still showed in the tapping of her fingers while she waited for him to finish. "You know, I was hoping that I could somehow discourage you from talking. Perhaps the reason you're here is that you've talked people to death. I do not care for flattery, nor for deeds you say you could do. So, either shut up and let me eat or go flirt with a maid." Rill loved action over saying that they could do something, and Xanthus was mostly an annoyance.

She hated false flattery, her group was small and not quite that famous to earn the respect of anyone. She used the title because she was proud to have earned it, not because it was prestigious or important. "I apologize for my cold behaviour, but quite frankly... you really are quite forgettable, and that may be an asset but that's only because you are so generic. Now, can we lose the flattery, or should I move before I kill you?" in better times, Rill was quite diplomatic, but today was not a day for false promises and polite smiles. People she didn't know irritated her, and set her gut on edge. It showed in her swishing tail and flattened ears. She took a few forkfuls of meat before listening to Xanthus talk again.

@FrenziedAce I have nothing against Xanthus I'm sorry!

Roshi heard when Vidar came up behind her and threatened her. With a smile, Roshi turned to Vidar and laughed. "Cheche..." she covered her mouth, trying not to laugh too hard at him. "Hahahaa!" she lost her battle of wills. She laughed for a while, leaving her sword out as she clutched her stomach. Once she regained her breath, she lost her smile and stared at him very seriously, her eyes empty and cold. "If I wanted to kill him, do you honestly think I would have made such a big entrance? Not to mention from his clothing and how clean he is, he spent most of today washing up for the feast. If I wanted to kill him I would have done so then, and not in front of so many people." She feigned being hurt by his lack of trust, "You're such a fuddy duddy Vidar."

She sheathed Karma, and held up her hands in the unarmed 'I surrender' motion. "Also, you might wish to take your hand off your sword handle or you'll lose your hand. Honestly, you're a bundle of nerves. How did you ignore that Aslaug walked in covered in way more blood? Was it the killing intent? I always give that off, don't I?" Roshi put her hands down and leaned on Lauchlan, casually trying to show no ill will. It was true, she was always ready to kill someone, and that gave her away to anyone who could sense it. However, she wasn't planning on killing any Wardens today or ever. That would be a lot of effort to remember all of them only to kill them later. She yawned, bored again. She wished that these newbies were more fun and less stiff.

@Mite
@PetticoatLane

Artfhael nudged around what was left on his plate, bits and pieces of various fruits and finely-cooked meats... whatever that had caught the rogue's eye when he was hungry. The event was welcome-- free food was always welcome to an elf who feasted on nuts and roots and uncooked kills for a living. And even better, whatever was on his plate was professionally procured and prepared, and not gathered from shoddy traps in the dirt.

He cleared his throat before offering the approaching Wildling a response. "No need to ask, not my land. Spot's all yours." He smiled briefly and patted an imaginary seat on the floor beside him, gleeful to hear that his voice had come out steady and without a quiver; his voice had been off kilter since a few weeks ago during his joining.

Although Arthfael wasn't much of a "mingler", neither was he an antisocial wallflower. The companionship among faces he didn't recognize would be greatly appreciated.

@Eleyvan

"Forgive me, I really shouldn't try to have conversation with anyone, ever." Xanthus said, the smirk still on his face but this time his words tingled with sarcasm as he looked at Rill before taking another bite out of his apple, his eyes still on her as he chewed. They only moved away when he finished his glass of wine, his eyes finding the bottle of the rest of it, which he pulled towards him, pouring another glass for himself. He didn't intend to get drunk, but being a little tipsy would not hurt anyone. He took another sip, his mind moving towards other matters, the castle they were in in particular.

It was a massive, well made creation, likely took hundreds of poorly paid (or not at all paid) workers in order to complete it. It reminded him of home, expect on an even grander scale. He briefly thought about getting up and doing a little exploration, possibly find the vault room, but he quickly banished that thought. The King and his guards probably wouldn't appreciate Xanthus wandering around the castle, especially if he found his way into the vault, where all the priceless valuables were stored. Though even taking the smallest valuable would likely result in him losing a hand or both, which he would rather not have happen.

"Excuse me, miss. Do you agree with Rill? Am I really that generic and unremarkable?" Xanthus asked Aria, his eyes not even glancing at Riss for a reaction at the mention of her name as he instead looked at Aria, his expression a friendly one. His voice accompanying the expression, his words filled with genuine friendliness and the least amount of flirtation or cockiness he could muster.

@RainDash
@Ketori

Having made his way around the other Wardens without incident, Lauchlan reached the entryway with a sense of partial relief. Fortunately, the great double doors were propped open on what looked to be cast-iron horses in miniature. Striding through them and into the corridor beyond, Lauchlan could already feel the tension from the crowd beginning to dissipate; soon, he would be back in the courtyard and able to enjoy the cool silence of the night air.

Or so he had hoped…

He had made it, perhaps, halfway down the corridor when a familiar (and rather unwelcome) voice halted him; he needn't turn and face the other to recognize Roshi. They were not exactly friendly toward one another, yet Roshi seemed to make it a habit to poke at him whenever the chance presented itself -- and he really should have expected such. Tensing slightly, he felt the light sensation of what was surely a blade tip prodding between his shoulders, though there was no pressure behind it and he issued a rather exasperated sigh. Perhaps she found such actions enjoyable and hoped to startle him - but they had yet to be anything more than an annoyance; he was far beyond fear of life-threats or mockeries of such. It wasn't that he doubted the woman's capabilities -- he knew well her skill -- rather, he doubted her conviction to harm a fellow Warden.

"Leavin' a party should be one's own discretion, should it not?" he said sharply, the slight flush of embarrassment returning at her comment of his appearance. "At least I washed the blood off before attendin' dinner." He added, still not bothering to turn and face her; his voice was low but he could be heard well enough as the clamor of the feast was far enough away to grant some stillness. "And I'm fairly certain Rill would tell you to mind your own damn business, Roshi."

About to continue on down the corridor, another voice caught his attention and he finally turned to face the other Wardens, his eyes fixed on the newcomer. The second voice belonged to a fellow warrior, he had trouble placing the man's name, who was resting his hand on the pommel of his sword and wearing a rather peculiar expression. While the man had a valid argument (Lauchlan found it considerably more discourteous to hold a man at blade-point for excusing himself from a party) he was sure the situation would be exacerbated by Roshi's disposition.

He was correct.

Rolling his eyes as the elf laughed, he folded his arms over his chest, watching the scene unfold; he knew there would be no actual fighting, but he was never terribly comfortable with the woman's brazenness. At the mention of striking him down while bathing, however, Lauchlan quirked an eyebrow up, looking rather uncomfortable with the thought.

"I'm…still standin' here..." He murmured, though it was hardly loud enough to be heard over Roshi's voice.

Fortunately, Roshi opted not to press the issue too far and he was glad to see she'd sheathed the blades. Nevertheless, he felt a small pang of sympathy for the other Warden -- he'd only had good intentions.

"Threaten to cut off his hand, then wonder at his nervousness." Lauchlan again rolled his eyes at Roshi's comment, "Your logic is infallible."

As the elf leaned against him in what was apparently an amiable display, Lauchlan went rigid and was temporarily frozen in place before leaning away from the woman, looking considerably displeased at her closeness. In fact, the entire situation had become ridiculous. None of this had served to ease his headache. All he'd wanted was some air and a bit of peace - though he would, apparently, to be hard-pressed for such this evening.

Without another word, the warrior strode stiffly away from the pair and made his way back into the banquet hall. He collected a new goblet, filled it with more of the brandywine, and stalked off toward the main table in search of an area free of manner-less diners. Catching a glimpse of Ignatius, Lauchlan pulled out a chair and all but slammed himself down into the seat beside the healer with a disgruntled huff.

At least he wouldn't pull a knife on him.

@RainDash @Mite @Eleyvan

Morcrest Castle
Vidar

"Roshi..."

Upon seeing her face clearly, Vidar finally recognized who she was. He hadn't personally spoken with Roshi before, but he had heard rumors from other Exalted Wardens about her. Of course, as a testament to her skills, there was never anything concrete about her. He frowned when she attempted to hold in her giggling. He had half-expected her to do something like that, but he didn-

Vidar instinctively flinched when her laugh came out in full force. As he started to recognize that she carried little respect for him, his brow furrowed. He was no stranger to being unacknowledged, but that didn't prevent him from disliking this feeling anyways. Regardless of his feelings, he withdrew his hand from his blade as she insisted.

"I may still be a novice in the Exalted Wardens and have less experience in fighting than most others here, but even I know that hiding your killing intent is second-nature for an assa-" He caught himself just before he finished uttering that word. Whatever she was before doesn't matter, he reminded himself, she's an Exalted Warden now and her skills are recognized and needed by the king. Inhaling softly, he finished with his correction, "...for an Exalted Warden of your caliber."

Lauchlan had a few of his own comments on Roshi's behavior, but not too many. Rather, he seemed rather used to it and departed after her remarks. Vidar raised his eyebrows in confusion at Lauchlan's effortless escape, then exhaled a shaky breath when he realized that Roshi was right about him being nervous. Though Vidar wanted to escape just as easily as Lauchlan, Roshi's attention was focused on him. It was hard for him to leave right this moment, and she was probably trying to incite more reactions out of him.

"If I may, Aslaug is of a more predictable temperament, even if her form of combat leads her to be more bloody than others. I find it hard to imagine her feeling the urge to draw her blade at the back of her allies..." Vidar remarked darkly, but before she could reply he lowered his head and bowed deeply. Although he didn't particularly like doing it, sometimes playing the part of the lesser man would convince those with inflated egos to stand down.

"I deeply regret my mistake. Although you would never slay a fellow Warden in such a disagreeable location, I spoke out of turn. I pray you find it in your heart to forgive my rash behavior."

@RainDash

"A pleasure to meet you!" The feline exclaimed as he gave the man's hand a shake and took a drink of whichever beverage had been closest. It turned out to be an ale of some kind. Not bad, either. Saga raised an eyebrow when Radnor stopped talking and the younger of the two suspiciously covered his face. "Since childhood, eh?" He really wanted to ask directly. But the younger seemed quite timid and it would be a shame to lose his company so soon after finding it. He took another bite of his bread, now nearly gone, as Radnor continued to speak.

"Don't worry about it." He gave a small shrug. "I used to have some difficulty telling your kind apart. I mean you lack of lot of our distinct characteristics. And all you fighting types smell like iron. When I first joined the Wardens the scent almost drove me mad." The bread was done and followed by a swish of ale. "You've been with the Warden's a couple of months, yeah? How do you like it so far?" After asking his question he started into his pile of meat. It was rich and delicious. The fanciful dishes of the royals truly were in a league of their own.

Vienne returned a small smile to the man. "Thank you." She said as she seated herself onto the ground. "Even if you do not own the land, I would not wish to intrude if you desired to be alone." The Feral was glad to find the area they were seated at was out of the way enough that she could stretch her wings a bit. She hated not being able to expand them now and then. "I'm Vienne." She said starting to tear apart the food on her plate. She didn't like using human utensils, nonetheless she did prefer to be as polite as she could. Because of this she often tore her food into smaller pieces with her hands before eating it. "I don't believe I've seen you before. Are you new to the Wardens?"

Ignatius took another sip of wine and tried to ignore the chair he sat in. It seemed like the longer he sat there, the less comfortable it became. It was made almost entirely of wood and lacked a cushion or padding of any kind. The back was straight and felt like a board. It really might have been. Trying to keep himself occupied he started to run his fingers along the pattern on his goblet. The cup itself was cold and metallic. Pewter or silver seemed most likely. The design was a simple engraving of two lines around the glass with diamond-shapes spaced between them. The abrupt sound of a chair against the stone floor next to him caused the man to forget his drink.

"Hello." Ignatius said almost in the tone of a question. He assumed someone sat next to him. The healer certainly desired some company. However, it also could have just been the effect of a rambunctious bystander. He didn't bother worrying about the latter case. Still, it would be nice if people got in the habit of announcing themselves when they approached him. More than once Ignatius had talked to the air when he believed someone else was with him. He imagined he had looked like quite a loon.

@Andy
@CheekyBeretta
@PetticoatLane

So caught up in his own frustration at the events that had transpired, Lauchlan forgot himself and shot a glare over at the mage beside him before turning a rather violent shade of red, his retort dying in his throat. That would've been faux pas…number three for the evening? Glad for both the covering about his face and the other's inability to see how perturbed he'd been at a mere question, Lauchlan heaved a sigh and attempted to collect himself.

"Apologies, Ignatius." His voice was more coarse than he intended it to be, the healer had simply wanted to know who'd approached him -- it was no fault of his that the warrior had worked himself into a state over such trivial matters. "I didn't mean to intrude. I just… I was just seekin' company that wouldn't put a blade to my back." He gave another huff of irritation, though he failed to provide further explanation. "I'm ready for this ordeal to be over and done."

Allowing himself another moment for composure, he again removed the cloth from his face and set in on the goblet of spirits. Eating was probably advisable as he would likely be regretting his decision of all beverage and no food come morning. His appetite had long since flown, however, and he hesitantly reached forward to grab the nearest piece of fruit, a pear, which he stared at rather despondently, his other hand set firmly about his goblet. His head was still aching and the chatter seemed to be growing louder with each passing moment. With any luck, the King would make his appearance sooner rather than later - then send them on their way. That, of course, required luck - or at least a smile from the Creator.

Lauchlan prodded the pear with a finger.

"Have we any idea why we're all attendin' such a decadent pretense, yet?"

@Eleyvan

Radnor raised an eyebrow at the Wilding they smelled like iron? He certainly hadn't heard that one before and he didn't exactly know what to say to it "well..as long as your somewhat used to it now would hate to lose a skilled warrior such as yourself I've heard of the prowess of wildings in battle although I've never had the chance to see one of your kind fight before. Oh and yes we have just recently joined but so far it's been like a home away from home for the both of us. I personally find it..exciting in a way to be surrounded by other capable warriors of all kinds"

Ruskin eyed the new Wilding carefully it was obvious that the Wilding was a little taken aback by his reluctance to show his face it was a similar reaction with everyone else and at this point to him it was just another everyday thing. When Radnor started talking about fighting he just rolled his eyes beneath his mask. He knew Radnor wasn't trying to boast his strength or anything like that he simply enjoyed testing his mettle in duels against other warriors. Maybe before the night was out he'd get what he wants.

@Eleyvan

Aslaug wondered what had drawn so many people to obsess over the woman in front of her. What made her so irresistable that individuals would so invasively throw themselves at her feet? She was certainly pretty, with a face and curve to her body that Aslaug herself could appreciate, but the Warrior generally assumed the majority of people needed more than that to act so stupidly. In any case, she didn't feel like prying any further. Blood and poisons were certainly a more comfortable topic.

"A fond memory?" She asked in a light, humourous tone. "I know the poison you speak of. I took a few months some years ago to dose myself with various toxins and substances once I started doing battle with the criminal underground. Seen too many good soldiers felled in battle over a poisoned arrow." She was about to continue when her eyes took a cursive glance around the room and she frowned at what she saw. There seemed to be an undue amount of tension amongst their gathered brethren. Things seemed to be sorting themselves out, but she watched Lauchlan return from the courtyard looking exceedingly disgruntled and she'd noted two other individuals leaving that way. And then there was Xanthus and Rill. It was hard not to catch pieces of their conversation when Xanthus postured so boldly, she had some sympathy for Rill's boredom, but Aslaug disliked bad blood in the ranks.

She turned briefly to Aliese with an apologetic expression. "My apologies Aliese, I have a need to assure myself that our brothers and sisters aren't drawing blades on each other, excuse me." And with that she hiked her shield back onto her shoulder and strode from the Dining Hall, jogging down the steps passed the great doors and scanning the open Courtyard for a familiar face. She very quickly found one and was relieved to have her concern placated. Roshi and Vidar did not make the most comfortable of sights, but there did not seem to be too much danger of a duel breaking out between them. Aslaug sighed, feeling a little like a mother hen, and approaching the pair with a knowing grin.

Roshi was the Warden Aslaug had known the longest, having joined the order only a few months after her. They fought well together and Aslaug felt comfortable and at ease in her presence, whether on or off the battlefield. As expected, Roshi was in just as much of a state as Aslaug.

Vidar was a new recruit in some respects, but certainly not the newest and he was a fine lad from what Aslaug had seen of him, if a little green. He had that noble knight temperment that would either kill him, drive him mad or fashion a Great Warrior out of him one day. She was interested to see where Vidar's life would take him.

She dropped her shield to the ground and leaned on it with an easy air. "Good to see you Roshi, and you Vidar. Nice to be back amongst comrades, hmm?" She quirked an eyebrow at them both with a small amused smile on her lips, happy in the knowledge that no one seemed ready to draw blood.

@gamer5
@RainDash
@Mite

Reactions: Dusk
Roshi had to readjust when Lauchlan left in a huff, angrily marching off to find someone who wouldn't tease him. Roshi felt a pang of hurt when he left, angrier than she'd hoped he would be. Roshi wasn't good with people. She was good at killing them though, but that seemed a far easier task than trying to get along with them. Then Vidar spoke, and Roshi stayed where she was, perfectly balanced on the air. "Hmm. Maybe you're right, but I tend to not really disguise it much. I mean, at some point everyone dies, and if I help them go they earned it. As for Aslaug... you've a point but remember that I'm here for a reason. It's not because I kill left and right for silly reasons, and betrayal isn't fun." Roshi moved from her spot, moving away from Vidar to lean on some railing. Something about leaning made people think she was casual and nice. "Oh, and I've done more rash behavior than that, trust me. If something bothers me, it won't be visible. But... don't lose that edge. It's good to be on edge sometimes, but this is a party. Enjoying yourself is part of why we're here!"

Roshi smiled and laughed, but her heart wasn't in it. She hated being so high ranking amongst the Wardens and she hated people cowing to her and kissing her boots. It wasn't that she didn't periodically enjoy her rank, but rather the fact that she'd become an idea to some people as opposed to a person. It wasn't fair. Then Aslaug entered the area, placing down her shield and greeting the both of them. "Aslaug! It is really nice, but all the recruits aren't fun! All they do is be angry and upset at me... I only wanted to say hello and scare them a little... then Vidar is sorry for saying what's on his mind! These people are soooooo dullllllll!"

@Mite
@Erranruin

Morcrest Castle
Vidar

Standing up straight, Vidar listened to Roshi speak about her thoughts on her occupation, though he was mildly distracted at first by her impressive balancing acts without Lauchlan to support her. Her words did make sense, but he just could not imagine himself pulling out his blade and prodding his friends in jest. He hadn't really though about it before, but maybe this was a gap in his knowledge about Morcrest? He tried recalling a time where he witnessed a similar scene in Kalico, but nothing came to his mind. Granted, he was cleaning his Lord's residence more often as he was in town purchasing supplies. Maybe he just was never out long enough to see something like this. And his earliest friends were his Lord's heirs; prodding them with a weapon would not extend his lifespan too much.

Roshi changed locations upon finding a new support to lean on. She advised him to keep his edge, and in the same breath told him to enjoy himself. Vidar furrowed his brow as he pondered on her words. Are they able to be done simultaneously? Vidar wondered. Heavy footsteps approached Vidar and Roshi, followed by a metal clank. Her voice gave Aslaug's identity away. Turning to her and offering a respectful nod, complaints burst out of Roshi's mouth. Vidar scoffed softly at most of them, but when she accused Vidar of recanting his opinion he got flustered. Vidar may not be a great man, but he was not going to allow himself be seen as indecisive.

"N-no, I'm not sorry for—!" Vidar suddenly cleared his throat, cutting off his words and giving him a moment to rethink the best way to calmly defuse Roshi's accusation. Eyeing Roshi suspiciously, Vidar started again, "It is... inappropriate to speak what is on one's mind without knowing the full truth. Roshi had helped me become aware of what was actually happening, so I had apologized for my assumptions. That is all."

Wait! Now that Aslaug, someone who's position and style were far more understandable to Vidar than Roshi's, was here Vidar can ask her to help him understand.

"Permit me to ask, Aslaug, and I know this is sudden but... is it, ah, normal to draw your blade on your friends' backs? I-I only ask because," Vidar cast a wary glance at Roshi before continuing, "at my previous assignment in Portsmouth, I had to work with the dock guards to expel some pirates. One of the guards, dressed as a pirate, drew his blade on another guard's back. I was ready to strike, but the guard faced him and... well, he treated him warmly despite that."

Vidar raised his hand and scratched behind his ear in thought, slightly embarrassed at his ignorance.

"I couldn't figure out what sort of tradition it was then and now I'm wondering if, ah, you know."

@RainDash
@Erranruin

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
Before any of the three could reply to what they were told or asked, one of the higher-ranked guards stepped into the room. His armor shone a bright, pale silver, and his helm was crested with crimson plumage. The guard was obviously one of King Akard's bodyguard, as he was armed to the teeth; a large sword rested at his hip and a bow was slung across his torso. Zuria watched the bodyguard closely, feeling somewhat nervous. Did the king really think he was going to be attacked, or was he just showing off what kind of men he had on his side? She chewed idly on a piece of pork that she had ripped from the main dish as she watched the guard open his mouth. His voice boomed over the entirety of the mess hall.

"May I present Akard, king of Morcrest and the Leader of Peace." he announced, stepping to the side and allowing a young, dark-haired man to walk past him. A cape the color of a sunset was draped across his broad shoulders, and his velvet clothing was trimmed with gold. His ice-blue eyes scanned the hall as he walked to his seat, a large, cushioned chair at the head of the most crowded table. Zuria noticed that he was a handsome man with a triangular face; unlike other kings that she had glimpsed at, he was not fat, sagely, or old. He couldn't be much older than she was, and he definitely wasn't past thirty.

King Akard sat down at the table with a flourish, grinning slightly at the Wardens. "I see that you are enjoying the meal?" he questioned his visitors as two other men, young squires, scrambled in after him and began to pour his wine. He chuckled and waved them off. "Your visit certainly is a relief from the uptight chattering of the nobles."

Zuria remained quiet, but Stroud did not. "He doesn't look like a king, but he sure sounds like one," he whispered before shoving another piece of pork into his mouth. He chewed loudly before downing the mouthful with another swill of beer.

"You must be wondering why I called you here," Akard continued. "Firstly, I would like to thank you for your hard work. You have been training for five years, now, to set out on this journey. Secondly, I gathered everyone to announce that the time of going after mere bandits is over."

The king's voice became serious, and his black brows furrowed slightly. Aria whimpered softly, unfurling her wings. I wonder what he's gonna say, she thought, wringing her greasy hands together. I hope he isn't going to tell us to slay a dragon. I hate dragons...

"The Wardens who have been here since the beginning might remember what I told them was their goal," Akard said. "But I will say it once again, since I see new faces in the crowd. The Exalted Wardens are to travel throughout Ellira and talk to the kings of each nation. You must convince them to lay down their arms and give up their lives of war and take on ones of peace. Tell them to join Morcrest under one banner so there may finally be unity and order."

Aria squeaked lightly, staring at the king with large, mint eyes. Her feathers fluffed up and her hands trembled. Suddenly, the turkey on the table didn't seem as appetizing. But... some of us might die! she thought, removing her gaze from the king and looking at the rest of the Wardens. I don't want anyone to die... I don't want to die!

"Anyone who does not wish to help Morcrest and the rest of Ellira may leave now," King Akard was now grim, his handsome face appearing all too serious. "But be reminded that, if Ellira does fall to war, you are the one to blame."

Aslaug had given a long-suffering sigh at her friend's words, though her affectionate smile remained. Roshi was a fine Warden and a good woman but she did have a knack for scaring the recruits or riling them up, not that that was necessarily a bad thing. It was good to put people through their paces early on and find out exactly what manner of individual they were dealing with. Aslaug had certainly enjoyed the woman's attitude when they'd first met. Still, this was a banquet of their King and inciting some young and reckless soldier into a duel wouldn't go down so well and Aslaug was about to say as much when Vidar cut in with his tentative question.

She tried not to laugh at the lad as he explained his confusion, but he seemed so distressed and Aslaug could only imagine how he would cope with the various other rough-housing behaviours of their fellow Wardens. However it was not something to laugh at and the difference in attitude could be problematic later on, so she endeavoured to explain as best she could, the idea of camaraderie. She rubbed her jaw as she tried to pick her words properly.

"Well.. I suppose it is a matter of trust. If you can joke about drawing blades on one another, then loyalty is pretty much assumed between you. Though some of us do not know each other well, we're all Wardens and we're going to have to trust each other with our lives and deaths one way or another." She sighed at herself as she tried to think of a better explanation and found none, it wasn't truly something to be explained. So instead she stood up straight and threw an arm around Vidar's shoulders. "Ack, I wouldn't worry too much about it Brother. You'll either get it eventually or you won't and in the end it won't matter either way. Roshi, didn't you draw on me when first we met? I remember tussling and then buying drinks afterwards. Or was that someone else?" She chuckled warmly at the vague memory, when suddenly she heard a voice boom from the Mess Hall and announce the King's arrival.

"Ah, and we're late. Come on then, lets see what our King has for us." She disengaged from Vidar and threw her shield over her shoulder again before striding away up the steps and through the massive Great doors. She arrived just in time to hear Akard thank them all for, as he put it, their hard work. An interesting turn of phrase, Aslaug didn't truly feel like she'd exerted much effort for the past five years. She had met the King before, she knew of their task and she had understood the need to lay low until their Order had grown larger, but damn she wasn't good at being idle. Jorah had been nice enough to keep her busy with some jobs other than just bandit hunting, but those were few and far between. She was eager to start on the road to their true purpose.

"Secondly, I gathered everyone to announce that the time of going after mere bandits is over." He said and Aslaug gave a darkly satisfied grin as she bowed upon entering and took up her spot against the wall. Finally... she thought, directing all her attention to their Young King with an intense stare.

"The Wardens who have been here since the beginning might remember what I told them was their goal," Oh, Aslaug remembered. She remembered how naive it had sounded, how doomed to fail it was. She also remembered how much she had wanted to die for such a cause, and hearing him speak it again convinced her once and for all that she still did. She, however, did not approve of the King's final words. None in this room could be blamed for rejecting a cause that was most likely a fools errand. Aslaug was fine with being a fool, but some of these warriors may have families to care for, other things to fight for and perhaps other ways to combat the endlessly warring nations. Guilting soldiers into dying for you was no way to ensure loyalty, if anyone was to blame for this it was the Kings of their lands, perhaps even King Akard himself.

But Aslaug was too much of a Soldier to say anything, her displeasure being expressed by the dark frown that coloured her features and the harshness that came into her gaze. Of course she did not leave either, she was committed to this venture no matter what came to her because of it. She'd already lived a long life by a Soldier's standards anyway, longer than any of her Siblings. Her life was an easy sacrifice to make, if it meant there was a small chance of no one else watching their family slaughtered in pointless War.

@RainDash
@Ketori
@Mite

Status
Not open for further replies.