Pro-Mage

Time with the Wardens
4-5 months

Spells
None

Equipment
- Lute
- Incomplete map of the Wildlands
- Empty sack to carry his belongings after a shift.
- Talon-tipped gauntlet for the right forearm. Used only in cases where shifting is unsafe.

Strengths
- Excellent at navigating the social mores of both his own people and humans.
- Highly developed hand-eye coordination.
- Sharp eyesight and sense of hearing.
- Talented and experienced cartographer.

Weaknesses
- Not physically suited for combat in human form.
- Loud; not particularly good at subterfuge or ambush.
- Impatient.
- Loose-tongued; terrible with secrets.
- Sensitive in brightly-lit environments.
- Completely incapable of using a blade or other weapon.

Appearance
Mihai is all lean muscle and avian 'grace', standing at a height of five-foot-eleven (and a half, he will often claim) with an even and upright, almost noble, posture. Dark feathers, ranging from dark brown to black, are known to grow around the shoulders, neck, and upper back in his human form. His hair is dark and cut unevenly, framing brown, sharp eyes.

Mihai's clothing is reminiscent of what he would have warn among his family, with various bits and pieces sewn together in the closest reproduction he can make. Most of it is a soft, purple cloth that is similar to silk, but thick like satin or leather, and colorful beads sewn into the sleeves create a unique design of his own making. Mihai wears his sister's beaded headdress in her memory.

Personality
Mihai is charismatic, flirtatious, playful, and infinitely kind. His social nature and open mind has earned him a great many friends over the years as well as an appreciation for other cultures and ways of thinking. These different mindsets have widened his worldviews and given him perspective, making him a remarkable diplomat and negotiator.

Despite this, he can appear rather arrogant. The wisdom of his betters is liable to be ignored regardless of their experience, and even among his own kind it was rare for him to listen to their advice or commands. He does not easily bow to authority and views that as something that requires respect; and his respect is not freely given. It is earned over time through trials, action, confiding in him and granting him the trust he desires despite his heritage. Earn his respect and friendship, and one has a loyal ally for life.

He could be deemed chaotic with his short attention span and inability to keep things organized, but he always knows what he's doing and is dependable and trustworthy.

Bio
Mihai grew up among a small nomadic band of avian inguz that had traveled throughout the land since before his birth. Their superstitions insisted that their children would become frozen in time if they stayed in any one place; an idea that Mihai has held onto ever since.

His mother was a talented musician - an ornately carved lute was her trademark - and his father a master storyteller. Though life was rough and uncertain, Mihai enjoyed his childhood and frequently strayed a little too close to human towns and camps out of an insatiable curiosity for their civilized life. Even with terrible myths concerning the barbarism of humanity, Mihai considered them a mere misunderstood curiosity that deserved more than the often baseless tales of their ancestors. He knew full well from his own observations that humans, despite their prejudice, were not all bloodthirsty monstrosities.

An important point in his life was the day he learned to play his mother's lute on his sixteenth birthday just before receiving his own, and often played it religiously when feeling stressed, lonely, or out of touch with his past. Mihai went nowhere without the lute, and it soon became his trademark just as it had been his mother's.

Even though their small group rarely camped near humans out of distrust, the night they did settle by a small human town was the day his father grew sick. A human illness took hold of the man and rendered him incapable of speaking for weeks. An optimist, Mihai believed his father would be fine, that the sickness was nothing more than a common winter-illness; it would pass soon enough, and the boy could pester his father for the same story he'd heard for a decade.

Two weeks into the illness, his father passed away on the rode and left only himself and his mother behind. In an effort to remember his father's legacy, Mihai spent many nights trying to remember the old stories the man had told him before bed, with little success. All that was left of him were the various books and trinkets left behind. The physical reminder never felt the same as the memories, and so Mihai convinced his mother to stash the belongings in another caravan.

At the age of twenty-five, Mihai finally left his people for good. The feather necklace that he'd been raised with he gifted to his now six year old sister, who offered up her beaded headdress, and begged him to remember her. The farewells with his mother were formal but warm, and they parted on good terms. Mihai has kept his promise to remember his family, and has worn his sister's ivory beads since.

Mihai traveled alone for three years between human kingdoms, picking up traditions from across the land and incorporating them into his lifestyle alongside his traveling band's own pocket culture. With no true source of income beyond street performing, Mihai took up mercenary work and was quick to make a name for himself. His hands, though better suited for music, took up a blade and became proficient over the years.

With his mercenary work becoming more and more morally grey, Mihai parted ways with his band and moved on to seek employment elsewhere. Although joining the Wardens was not what he had in mind, it was a chance for him to find honor and perhaps the resources to find his family once more.

Quick note: I did my best to adapt his old CS to the new one, along with the new lore. Please let me know if anything is off so I can fix it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kixinorbit
You drew her image? Your art is wonderful!

To start with I like her a lot. You did a great job with her strengths and weaknesses. Most things I have to comment on are mostly my own fault for not clarifying, so my apologies for that.

Avians have wings, even in their human form.

Most inguz hunt and fight entirely in their animal form. You don't have to change Noctua (I rather like her making arrows with her own feathers), but realise she'll be fairly uncommon in this regard. Regardless of whether you keep it or change it: Noctua is accepted.
Yay! Well first of all, thank you very much. Alright, wings. I added them to the picture (in a 100% lazy way but shh) and some quick sketches of a couple flying concepts. I also edited with something about her fighting technique (wings in both forms change what I had envisioned in an interesting way) and a brief explanation of why it'd be unusual? I hope that's ok and I didn't break any rules in the process.
I'm quoting everything here to spare you the hassle of going back to my post:

Wings: Under her owl form, her wings are 35cm tall and 110cm large. They are swift, and easy to maneuver, though not fast. As a humanoid, her wings measure 140cm of height (permitting her to fold them under her cape if she needs to walk — which she rarely does — or stand) and 4m of wingspan. That form is faster, but much less agile, mostly due to her lack of tail which makes turning difficult. Even if she uses her cape to help her (by blocking it between her legs or letting it free) and her legs, her human form still lacks greatly in flexibility.

Some examples of how she flies in humanoid form:
sans_titre_4_by_phy_be-dad09ai.png

Fighting: Her combat strategy is largely based upon switching between her two forms to profit from their respective advantages and confuse the enemy (something rather unusual for an Inguz, and which she developed in her time away from her tribe out of necessity rather than strategic planning). That tactic has its limits as switching from one form to the other leaves a window of vulnerability, a couple of seconds post-transformation in which her senses are still adjusting to her new shape. Its overly repeated use would therefore leave more chances for the enemy to strike in a moment of weakness, and thus it must be done with moderation, or the outcome could be fatal.

This brings up a good point. In the previous incarnation inguz always kept their gear and it wasn't really explained or thought on. I hadn't really considered this. I'm not overly fond of the idea of a bunch of naked inguz running about everywhere. But if they all just keep there stuff it's a little odd to think on. I decided to put up a vote to see the general consensus.

Vote here
Alright I voted, either way is fine by me. Whatever the other Inguz players feel comfortable with!

If anyone else is making a mage character it's probably most beneficial for you to wait on spells until I get descriptions up.
Perfect, I'll be waiting before I finish my second character, then c:

• Thank You
Reactions: Dusk
As for the whole keeping of equipment, it is magic is it not? And they're transforming their entire bodies. I don't really think an explanation beyond a hand wave accompanied by, "Magic!" is necessary.

As for the whole keeping of equipment, it is magic is it not? And they're transforming their entire bodies. I don't really think an explanation beyond a hand wave accompanied by, "Magic!" is necessary.
I meaaan, yeah, you can explain a lot of things that way, haha. But it's also interesting to think of what that power includes and what are its limits, I think c: But of course, the great advantage of the "Magic!" explanation is its easiness, so the vote is a good idea, let's see what most people feel like!

I haven't heard from Mite in a little while, but he always comes back so I imagine he'll turn up again sooner or later.
You are correct!
Please forgive my extended absence, I was a bit busy dealing with some household and transportation matters that made life (and my wallet) very stressful and busy. Unfortunately, I haven't completely sorted out those matters but they are lighter than they were a week ago.

Anyways, greetings all. I am Mite, and I joined a previous rendition of All the King's Men with the character Vidar, a Kalico servant-turned-knight. My only personality traits are as follows: I despise elves, and I'm always busy with something or another.

Down to business, I have no idea what I'm going to do character-wise. What I do know is that I'll probably only have a single character.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Actually, I probably don't have time for all this, especially considering the large number of characters that'll be involved.

Name
Mihai
You did great!
Mihai is accepted.

Yay! Well first of all, thank you very much. Alright, wings. I added them to the picture (in a 100% lazy way but shh) and some quick sketches of a couple flying concepts. I also edited with something about her fighting technique (wings in both forms change what I had envisioned in an interesting way) and a brief explanation of why it'd be unusual? I hope that's ok and I didn't break any rules in the process.
I'm quoting everything here to spare you the hassle of going back to my post:
The sound effect in your drawing amused me more than they probably should have. Noctua is still good.

Anyways, greetings all. I am Mite, and I joined a previous rendition of All the King's Men with the character Vidar, a Kalico servant-turned-knight. My only personality traits are as follows: I despise elves, and I'm always busy with something or another.
He's back and we don't even have any elves yet. Quick, everybody make an elf.

Welcome back!

Actually, I probably don't have time for all this, especially considering the large number of characters that'll be involved.
All right. I wish you luck in your endeavors elsewhere.

I'm going to leave the vote up another day or so. Not very many people have voted on it.

Reactions: Dipper
And voted.

I should have a character app up by tomorrow.
I'm still holding strong that that the gender divide will be even, considering the created character.
If not. I can always switch things around. ^^

Jericho_zpsow3jom8u.png

JERICHO SWAIN
Twenty Thirty-Two | Female | Dwarf

TREASURE HUNTER
General Class : Warrior [x] [ ] | Rogue [x] [ ] | Archer [ ] [ ]
A treasure hunter is only interested in doing one thing: outsmarting those that outsmarted their employer. They retrieve stolen, though sometimes lost, artifacts, heirlooms, magical items, or anything with any sort of value. Their strengths are their cunning, speed, and ability to detain their opponents. They create things to slow down or disable their opponents, like caltrops or smoke bombs. They can set a few traps, like bear traps, but usually in their line of work they find their opponent instead of their opponent coming towards them. In combat, they are fast and powerful. The idea is to detain their opponent as quick as possible. In that regard, they have low defense and have to use cunning to finish their opponent as they're not made for the long fight. Secondarily, they have a scholarly knowledge to be able to discern something real from something fake. That being said, there are always things that slip through the cracks.
In short: they are smart, swift, strong warriors that use an assortment of gadgets to detain or dispatch their opponents, but lack defense or stamina for a stronger opponent than themselves or a long fight.

POSITION ON MAGIC
Soft Anti-Magic

TIME WITH THE WARDENS
Year and a Half

EQUIPMENT
Armor: Plate pieces cover her chest, thighs, and gauntlets. Beyond that, she mostly wears leather and cloth. It is made for having as much cover as possibe with high maneuverability.
Weapons: Jericho wields a sword and a one-handed axe. They are both dwarven made and are of fine quality. They're far from master craft, but they get the job done. She also has a whip. It's mostly used for tripping and disarming people.
Gadgets and Trinkets: She has a bag of caltrops, three smoke grenades, and a vial of highly flammable, and slippery, oil. She also possesses a wind-up noise maker that is the length of her finger.
Adventure Gear: a flint and tinder, hunting knife, a flask of water, a flask of liquor, dried meats, map, healing poultices, wrappings, sewing kit, whet stone, rope, a thick folded canvas for making impromptu tents.
Other: A dwarven tome her father penned, and her gadgetry tools.

SPELLS
None

STRENGTHS
- Intelligent
- Strong
- Agile
- An Inventor (and Problem Solver)
- Dual Weapon Fighter

WEAKNESSES
- Short Stature
- Low Stamina
- Low Defense
- Poor Hand-to-Hand Combatant
- Off-Putting Mannerisms
- Motivated Purely by Greed or Fame

APPEARANCE
Jericho stands at four-feet tall with a curvy build that rests mostly in her hips. She's muscular in most places, soft in some, and her tanned skin is spotted with an equal amount of freckles and scars. Her wild blonde hair is braided behind her head, usually, but if she's trying to impress she'll undo the braids and fluff it around her head. She has a strong nose, stronger eyebrows, but large green eyes and smattering of freckles over her face. She also has three scars across her cheek that she always lies about getting. Her voice is deeper than one would think, given her size, but can become loud and shrill out of aggravation.

PERSONALITY
Jericho is an eccentric glory hound that has a rich taste for liquor, food, and lovers. She's usually rather feisty and conversational. Yet, her blunt mannerisms and nature fall into the perverse and crude, and they have made her few friends. She'll always get the job done, but then promptly discusses why she was so amazing at it.

BIOGRAPHY
Jericho was born in Ibrance to no great fanfare or interest of any other dwarf, with the possible exception of her mother who was happy to finally have a daughter. If anything, the others grumbled: "If the Swains keep at it, they'll be the majority of the population in Ibrance." Of course, to give no great illusions, she was the last child of four. Still, given low dwarf population, it was substantial. Her father was a scholar of no great renowned, and her mother was an inventor of more renowned--which was a point of contention in their household. At a young age, Jericho learned how to avoid her older, rowdier siblings. At a slighty older age, she started pilfering her mother's inventions to get the upper hand against them. Her mother discovered this when she found the second eldest son, Owain, strung from the ceiling. She also laughed, a little, at the situation before getting her husband to help untie their son. Jericho's mother wasn't furious at her, but she did instill in Jericho that she shouldn't take things that weren't hers. That should have planted a far different lesson into Jericho's head than it did. Immediately, the small dwarf knew that she had to make her own inventions to torment her brothers.

When she was in her teens, it was obvious that Jericho was following her mother's footsteps. Still, she deferred to her father on many things. She grew up astute and interested in small intricacies of things and the larger intricacies of the world. Shortly thereafter, she wanted to leave Ibrance. All that knowledge of the outside world made her want to see it firsthand. At first her parents were reluctant, wanting her to marry in a few years after she became an adult, but inevitably they folded. It may, or may not, have had to do with the fact she punctuated every sentence with: "may I leave, yet?" Their sanity had been on a downwards slope. So, she was sent to Draivance to live with relatives. Her mother kissed her head and said, "Do not come back until you're married to a wealthy dwarf." Jericho laughed. Her mother did not. Jericho's father was a little more lenient, though he warned that if she became a scholar of more importance than himself, she was not allowed to live in their family home. Her brothers wished her well, and were relieved that she was leaving as she'd tormented them since she was capable of doing so. It was a bittersweet goodbye, but this was Jericho's family.

Unfortunately, her life stopped being easy as she began to travel. Between Ibrance and Draivance she was mugged. Everything she owned was taken from her, and she was beaten badly. Some travelling merchants helped get her to her relatives in Draivance under the promise she'd do work for them. She also started learning about how to fight from a few of the merchant's guards. This only became further perpetuated when she finally made it to her relatives, and her cousins heard her story. She'd come to learn about the outside world, and it taught her a very quick lesson about knowing how to protect oneself. Her inventions even began to lean in the martial direction. Yet, her life didn't take her on the path she was now until a few years later. By that time she was seasoned enough to handle herself, and had made a few things to help her in a fight. And while her cousins were kind and generous, Jericho wanted to pay them back.

One day while she was in the market, she overheard some idle conversation about how a wealthy lordling had lost a family heirloom. He was petrified to tell his parents due to the ramifications it would have, and was offering a large sum to anyone that procured it. Jericho weaseled her way into the conversation and devoured all the details. The human men laughed at her enthusiasm, but she was determined. The heirloom was an old sigil of dwarven creation. She'd learned about varying dwarven sigils in her studies. She also learned that they were valued more for the metal they were made out of than what they actually held on them. It took a bit of inquiring, but she learned about a rare metal distributor of ill-repute. It didn't take much bribing to locate their warehouse. Armed with her weapons and gadgets, she broke in. She found the sigil, yes, but she also found a fight.

Jericho barely made it out. Yet, it only steeled her resolve to further her combat prowess. She was ecstatic to return the sigil to the noble. It was a dwarven sigil, and so he should be dwarven. Maybe she could not only collect the bounty but also court the young man. Her family name did have some weight behind it in both Ibrance and Draivance—not a lot, but she was far from wastrel. Jericho learned, though, that the noble wasn't dwarven at all, and more so, he wasn't particularly grateful that she'd saved his hide. She should have just given it to his parents. He looked down at her, nose upturned, and gave her the reward. He then kicked some dirt at her, telling her to leave his presence. The guards came shortly after that, Jericho had taken full advantage of her short stature and squarely punched him in his nether regions. There were rumors that floated about, after that, of how she cursed him and called herself "more a man than he'll ever be."

Using part of her reward, and her family's clout, she was able to leave jail. The remainder of the reward went to her relatives. They encouraged her to head back to Ibrance or settle down there. Instead, that entire experience instilled into her the wrong thing—once again. It didn't caution her from doing it again, but gave her the zeal to continue to hunt down artifacts.

So, she did just that, and for the next many years she traveled the civilized places of Elliria and became a treasure hunter of some renowned. Jericho never married, never made it back to Ibrance, instead her line of work led her into the ranks of the Wardens.

OTHER
- Artist: Click
- Theme Song: "Glitter and Gold" by Barns Courtney

• Love
red Announcements

All right, magic stuff is up. There is still some WIP under the "Enchanting, Infusing, & Scriving" tab, but that shouldn't be anything to prevent making a character.

In addition I've made @DinoFeather and @Mite my co-GMs. They're mostly helping out with various things on my end, but if they're telling you something you probably want to listen.

In case it is particularly confusing I wrote a couple sample mages (just with the class/magic stuff, not whole sheets).

Class: Warlock
Mana Pool: Medium

Proficiencies
Offensive (Major)
Spell 1: This spell does damage.
Spell 2: This spell also does damage.

Alterative
Spell 3: This is a third spell.
Spell 4: This is a forth spell.

Illusional
Spell 5: This is the final spell.

Class: Mystic
Mana Pool: Small

Proficiencies
Virulent (Major)
Spell 1: This is an evil spell.

Illusional
Spell 2: This is a tricky spell.

Blood magic
Spell 3: This spell is spectacular.
Spell 4: This spell is nifty.
Spell 5: This is the spell gained by sacrificing a level of the mage's mana pool.

Class: Spellsword (Mage+Warrior)
Mana Pool: Low

Proficiencies
Defensive (Major)
Spell 1: Defensive spell.
Spell 2: Buff spell.

Restorative
Spell 3: Heal spell.

I expect at least twenty questions, don't disappoint me.

• Thank You
Reactions: BruisedLavender
I've already asked twenty questions-- so may I be exempt?

Now I've asked twenty-one!

Also, if anyone has any questions and Rook or Mite are unavailable, I will do my best to help. c:

I've already asked twenty questions-- so may I be exempt?
You may. Anyone not making a mage is also excused. I think you asked a lot more than twenty, though

Reactions: kixinorbit
I'll be making just one character, and I'm currently working on her!

• Thank You
Also, if anyone has any questions and Rook or Mite are unavailable, I will do my best to help. c:
The order of people you should ask your questions should be:

1. Rook - The GM. Knows everything. Be-all and end-all of this very thread.
2. DinoFeather - Actually helps the GM review info before he puts it up, so Feather's pretty well-versed with what's going on.
3. Mite - Some random guy that just happens to help a bit with setting and characters and stuff. Really not all that useful, honestly.

We all are often on ATKM's Discord Server, so if you want any of us that's a quick way for immediate replies if we haven't gotten to you in the OOC yet.

For now I only have one - if it's somewhere in the OOC, sorry! How many people can a mage affect with one spell? For example, an Illusional one - can the mage touch more than one target, and if so then how badly would his mana pool suffer from it?

The order of people you should ask your questions should be:
1. Rook - The GM. Knows everything. Be-all and end-all of this very thread.
2. DinoFeather - Actually helps the GM review info before he puts it up, so Feather's pretty well-versed with what's going on.
3. Mite - Some random guy that just happens to help a bit with setting and characters and stuff. Really not all that useful, honestly.
This is inaccurate. It is correct you should ask me first. However, the only place where Feather particularly has more knowledgeable than Mite is in regard to magic. The majority of the other stuff we went over ended up in the OOC. Mostly he helps me English good. Because he's a lot better at that than I am.

Next on the agenda:
The vote seems fairly solid and unlikely to change. Thus, inguz will use items to retain their gear through the use of magical items.

For now I only have one - if it's somewhere in the OOC, sorry! How many people can a mage affect with one spell? For example, an Illusional one - can the mage touch more than one target, and if so then how badly would his mana pool suffer from it?
The more people a spell affects the less powerful it will be and the more mana required to cast it. The same spell affecting 1 vs 5 (if they're in close proximity) I'd say the jump in mana cost would be low to high. Medium duration would also decrease down to low. 5 is also the max number of people I will currently allow a spell to be cast on at the same time.

Name:
Lauchlan Caileanach
Unaccepted on the basis that he is not the Jaime to Lorelei's Cersei.
I mean... what?

Lauchlan Caileanach is accepted.

I have an idea for him and the Wardens, too.

All right next: checking in and tags.

@Vio
Magic is up now! (Should have tagged you in the other post).

@FrostedCaramel
Have you made a decision? If you haven't yet there is still time to decide. I'm mostly curious.

@WhisperingWillows
Haven't heard from you in a while. Still participating?

red Announcement

I have decided to remove the requirement that characters have as many weaknesses as strengths (or as many strengths as weaknesses). This is done because of the varying degree of particular strengths or weaknesses. Team-player and maimed are not of equal value. Don't abuse this, please.

Note 1: If you have a previous character accepted under the previous ratio rule and want to change something, just message me.

P.S. @Dipper You should join Discord.

• Thank You
Reactions: Esmeray
Work In Progress

Ordeth
Human | Male | Twenty-Five

Gladiator
General Class, Warrior (II)

Gladiators are professional warrior-entertainers found wherever there is a public need for blood and a supply of fighters in order to sate it. More often than not these fighters are drawn from the local slave population, those with the strength to fight and the stomach for violence being the favorite prospects of any fight-master. Often pressed into multiple fights a week with little to do in between but train, long time gladiators are among some of the most experienced warriors in all the known world. At least on the subject of raw fighting ability. They are often proficient with a variety of weapons, both mundane and eccentric, though more 'traditional' warriors may criticize their styles as 'flashy' or even 'impractical' - A true criticism for the most part, but to underestimate a gladiator just because they're entertainers may quickly land a commenter in the infirmary or, more unfortunately, in a grave. With all their time focused on fighting though, gladiators are often lacking in almost everything else. Education is basic if it exists at all and many skills which the common populace may take for granted, such as woodworking or preserving food, are simply untaught. Gladiators who manage to free themselves from their oppressors one way or another often find themselves confused by the life of a free man/woman and have great trouble integrating into society. Many simply sign back up for the arena, knowing nothing else of life.

To summarize: Gladiators are experienced warriors with diverse and sometimes flashy fighting styles. They're are often exceptionally fit and skilled in their craft, but lack more practical life skills.

Position on Magic: Neutral.

Time with the Wardens: Three Months.

Equipment:
  • Battle-Worn Falcata: This trusty single edged sword has served Ordeth for the better part of a decade, it's former shining steel blade now a dull grey after years of abuse. The edge, while chipped in some places, is always honed razor sharp.
  • Beaten Round Shield: It is said that a shield is a warrior's greatest ally and there is no greater example of this than Ordeth and his trusted barrier. Beaten and notched with the fury of a hundred battles this round steel shield has served it's master well for a long time and will continue to do so as long as the gods will it.
  • Bolas: Traditionally used by hunters in order to tangle or trip fleeing prey these unique throwing weapons have quickly become a favorite of the former gladiator, useful for closing the distance between him and more agile opponents.
  • Ornate Arena Armor: Not the most practical in design, this armor was more designed around aesthetic appeal rather than to offer the most protection possible. Still, it offers a reasonable amount of protection and Ordeth has grown too attached to it over the years to replace it with something more practical.

Spells: None.

Strengths:
  • Thraex:
  • Showman:
  • Olympic:
  • Champion:
  • Victory!:

Weaknesses:
  • Born Slave:
  • Pampered:

Appearance:
Personality:
Biography:

• Love
Reactions: Pahn
I don't think I will have time to create any characters for this. However for any graphical needs, I'll be here to assist you, Rook. :)

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.