Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not particularly set, but some of all of it is likely to occur. Different problems will need to be solved in different manners. And certain problems might be dealt with in different ways. Specific characters will deal with what they're best suited toward. Therefore (especially with how much interest there is right now) one group might be focusing on something which requires a lot of espionage and intrigue while another is currently doing something which focuses a lot more on adventuring. Does this clearly answer your question?
Yes, I'll just wait and see then.

I'm definitely interested! XD

*Cough cough*
Had a bit of a bad week. My apologies for the delay, everyone.

OOC will ideally be up this week - or at latest next week.

I also have a question for all of you. In regard to magic do you prefer it to be more categorized or more open? Do you have any thoughts in general? I admit specifically how to handle some aspects of it is stumping me. Do you like your magic more set and organised or more open and vague? So far what is set is that magic will be a genetic thing, utilize mana (as a magical stamina), and have a connection to spirits and demons. There are already some things I know about magic - it can enchant things in various methods and spells can be put to scrolls for use. But overall (and in regard to my specific question) what do you all think?

@WhisperingWillows @Applo @FrostedCamel @DinoFeather @Dipper @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @Potatocat @Liky @Edward @RedWillow @Ascendant @Lysander @Grothnor @kimsim12 @Mite @Gossamer

Reactions: Pahndemic
I always have enjoyed the use of magic in a roleplay. Usually, I prefer it a little vague so that the players can bend it how they wish. I like the idea of having mana that everyone can tap into. Maybe they can recharge their mana by doing spells or drawing sigils or something? ^.^

i really prefer magic to be vague and mysterious. Something most people don't have, and will never see used in their life. Something ill-defined and barely understood. But that's just me.

Reactions: FrostedCaramel
I think it depends on how society views magic.

As Potatocat said, is it something ill-defined and barely understood, or are there such things as "mages" and "arcana schools" ? Are sorcerers basically diviners who perform spells asking for demonic or angelic favours? Is it elemental magic? Or maybe light vs. dark magic?

Personally, in a fantasy context where mages are somewhat normal and you can come across a few of them in a lifetime, elemental magic is the best suited for that.

However, if we're going with more.. demon-lore and such, I think light vs. dark magic style is the best suited. As in, some beings are inherently magical - they have such a thing as mana. For the commoners, there would be such a thing a spells that require a ritual and ingredients, and is much more difficult to perform. Are the magical beings outcast, or praised?

If you've ever read the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, I absolutely loved the way magic and stuff was handled in there.
There's also Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series, where magic is a bit more.. technical and relates more scientific things. Magic users are very high in society, some master all fields while others master just one or two -- and it's inherited.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dusk
"An author's ability to solve conflict with magic (in a satisfactory manner)* is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic."
"Limitations are more important than powers."
"Expand what you already have before you add something new."
Brandon Sanderson's Laws of Magic

*He added that in one of his lectures he puts up on youtube.

Sanderson makes some of the coolest magic systems ever.

It all depends on what you want from it.

It largely depends on do we want it to be a large part of the plot, or to be used to solve lots of problems? If so, a well fleshed out magic system with rules and limitations is probably best. Do you want it to function just like any other ability (archery, swordsmanship, etc.)?

FYI Sanderson considers superheroes to actually have very well thought out powers, because generally within each particular iteration of the character, their abilities and limitations are generally clearly defined, and they have to think up new ways to solve problems. Or you can just go with the anime trope of pulling power out of their arses... Deus ex Machina anyone...

Personally, what I like depends on the plot and setting... Generally, I like magic to have some basic rules and limitations, and then any large boundaries the GM has, and then let the players experiment and do with it what they will. Possibly even developing it as you go if problems arise. Sometimes vague magic just doesn't give people enough to go on, or they take it too far. Plus when there are limitations it forces us to think of creative solutions. But if a magic system is too rigid and constrained it can be unappealing because of a lack of ability to be creative.

So far we have
  • Genetic
  • utilize mana (as a magical stamina)
  • has a connection to spirits and demons
  • it can enchant things in various methods
  • spells can be put to scrolls for use

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a question for all of you. In regard to magic do you prefer it to be more categorized or more open? Do you have any thoughts in general? I admit specifically how to handle some aspects of it is stumping me. Do you like your magic more set and organised or more open and vague? So far what is set is that magic will be a genetic thing, utilize mana (as a magical stamina), and have a connection to spirits and demons. There are already some things I know about magic - it can enchant things in various methods and spells can be put to scrolls for use. But overall (and in regard to my specific question) what do you all think?
Oh. Magic question! I don't plan on playing a character with magic, but I can definitely give my two cents.
Mmkay. Reading over the previous answers, you seem to have some really good thoughts here, and I don't know how much I can add.

One RP I was in, for a long time, that was on another site had nothing BUT magic users. They didn't have a strict magic system. They had magics that were off limit, like resurrection, time, insta-kill, etc. After that, the players had to build their own magic system that was unique to that players. It took a heavy amount of moderation, but it kept things interesting. Then again, it was one of those "you have to know someone to get in" RP, and so they trusted everyone not to abuse it. So, there is always that option, where the GMs have to use their best judgement in letting someone in and making sure that they don't abuse the power. The pro to that, though, is a very unique set of magics for every character.

An old fantasy RP I made had like seven magic classes, and they were all based on kinetic abilities. So, they were somewhat rooted in science. It was all about people having the ability to affect molecules but only in certain ways. And there were seven ways for them to do it. So, you could always have a core magical concept and give shades of it. I wouldn't say make too many. Just make them customizable for each person. For instance, I think I had a gravity power, but different people had different proficiencies in it. One person could lighten it, another could make it heavy, another person could alter where the gravity core was (to fly around.) It made it like multiple abilities, but it was only one. This is not me tooting my own horn because that system was imperfect in its own way. It was just a way I found to have classes of magic but twist them enough so people could have different powers.

Or as someone mentioned, or maybe I made this up, you could always have magic very deity oriented if you plan on having religion. That could be similiar to the above in the shades of different power things. Or maybe different tokens that invoke different sets of powers, gems maybe. That's if you want magic to be item or religion based. There are a lot of different ways to go about this, and I don't know how you are shading magic in this RP. Though mentioned it takes notes from DA. If that's the case, you can definitely spin a "dark and deadliness" to it. Maybe people make pacts with magically powerful creatures and siphon abilities through them? Something something helpful?

I guess it boils down to how much you want to police people's magic abilities, or how much you want to structure the magic and see how people personalize it to their own character. Also, that old RP I was in had a badass radar system that could help balance characters out. It used this website to create a radar to, at a glance, show people's stats. I think the four were: might, dexterity, magic, and fortitude. Might be a cool feature if you want to include stats, or if you want people to create radars for their magic powers. CLICK HERE.

On an entirely different note.
I love me some Robin Hobbs. She does have an awesome magic system in her Farseer Trilogy(s). Though, her magic system in the Soldier Son trilogy was odd. Didn't it involve just being fat or something? Been forever since I read it. That first book is SO FREAKING SLOW.

Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series is another good magic-based series. Man. She's been my favorite since like Jr. High... which was a while... because I'm old.

And man I'm a weirdo, but I really don't like Brian Sanderson's novels. I guess I'm just not one of those that likes a plot sprinkled in world building. I like it the other way around. He does a fantastic job building these worlds, but I just lose interest in his characters. But that's me. I'm weird. I also don't care for Patrick Rothfuss, who also had a pretty good magic system. What is wrong with me? Who knows. Though, I do like Brandon Mull's Beyonder series, even if it is teen fiction, because the magic system in there is pretty deep, and also all that world building and race building is delicious and freaking crazy.

• Thank You
Reactions: Dusk
I don't care how magic works, I'm just chiming in to renew my interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Rae
I don't care how magic works, I'm just chiming in to renew my interest.
Honestly my reaction when I saw these long explanations of what people wished to see :_)

• Love
Reactions: Lysander and Dusk
And man I'm a weirdo, but I really don't like Brian Sanderson's novels. I guess I'm just not one of those that likes a plot sprinkled in world building. I like it the other way around. He does a fantastic job building these worlds, but I just lose interest in his characters. But that's me. I'm weird. I also don't care for Patrick Rothfuss, who also had a pretty good magic system. What is wrong with me? Who knows. Though, I do like Brandon Mull's Beyonder series, even if it is teen fiction, because the magic system in there is pretty deep, and also all that world building and race building is delicious and freaking crazy.
Man I love Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss, bummer. I love their characters, plots, and settings.

Also, on magic again, I'd advise you to read the TVtropes page on the first law, and/or his three essays on the matter. They go into more details on what he means. 1 2 3 Plus other TVtropes pages on magic can give you plenty of inspiration.

Also, Rook if you want we can help you create it if you're stumped or want input. Even if it's just giving our opinion of what you have so far. That's an offer take it or leave it, doesn't really matter. :-)

Thank you everyone, for your input. I've figured out what I'm going to do. ^^

I won't write too much up on it here. But one thing I saw mentioned that I'll clarify. Magic isn't especially rare. It's less common than not being a mage. Don't take this as a hard rule - because it's far from it but in Humans 5%-10% would be my estimate for mages. This number (or any number) would not be distributed evenly, either.

Something something helpful?
Very helpful!

Oh! I find statistics and graphs wonderfully interesting. Thank you for this resource. Even if it's not used at all for ATKM, I'll certainly take advantage of it sometime for myself. Thank you for that.

Also, on magic again, I'd advise you to read the TVtropes page on the first law, and/or his three essays on the matter. They go into more details on what he means. 1 2 3 Plus other TVtropes pages on magic can give you plenty of inspiration.
I'll read through this a bit. I already read TVtropes a great deal. It has led to numerous inspirations and ideas in the past.

Also, Rook if you want we can help you create it if you're stumped or want input. Even if it's just giving our opinion of what you have so far. That's an offer take it or leave it, doesn't really matter. :-)
Thank you! Although I figured this out I'll definitely keep it in mind (assuming the offer stands for other ATKM things. :P). Input can be immensely useful. A lot of the comments helped me in places where I was simply undecided on something - as well as helping in places where I was stumped.

Overall I'm feeling very pleased with everyone who's expressed interest and how things are going in general. ^^

Also,
I also don't care for Patrick Rothfuss
-Official noise of disapproval- ]:<

If it's not too late, I'm definitely interested in this!

IM INTERESTED!!!!!

Had a bit of a bad week. My apologies for the delay, everyone.

OOC will ideally be up this week - or at latest next week.

@WhisperingWillows @Applo @FrostedCamel @DinoFeather @Dipper @Tyrannosaurus Rekt @Potatocat @Liky @Edward @RedWillow @Ascendant @Lysander @Grothnor @kimsim12 @Mite @Gossamer
"An author's ability to solve conflict with magic (in a satisfactory manner)* is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to how well the reader understands said magic."
"Limitations are more important than powers."
"Expand what you already have before you add something new."
Brandon Sanderson's Laws of Magic

*He added that in one of his lectures he puts up on youtube.

Sanderson makes some of the coolest magic systems ever.

It all depends on what you want from it.

It largely depends on do we want it to be a large part of the plot, or to be used to solve lots of problems? If so, a well fleshed out magic system with rules and limitations is probably best. Do you want it to function just like any other ability (archery, swordsmanship, etc.)?

FYI Sanderson considers superheroes to actually have very well thought out powers, because generally within each particular iteration of the character, their abilities and limitations are generally clearly defined, and they have to think up new ways to solve problems. Or you can just go with the anime trope of pulling power out of their arses... Deus ex Machina anyone...

Personally, what I like depends on the plot and setting... Generally, I like magic to have some basic rules and limitations, and then any large boundaries the GM has, and then let the players experiment and do with it what they will. Possibly even developing it as you go if problems arise. Sometimes vague magic just doesn't give people enough to go on, or they take it too far. Plus when there are limitations it forces us to think of creative solutions. But if a magic system is too rigid and constrained it can be unappealing because of a lack of ability to be creative.

So far we have
  • Genetic
  • utilize mana (as a magical stamina)
  • has a connection to spirits and demons
  • it can enchant things in various methods
  • spells can be put to scrolls for use
The character that I have in mind for this role-play is a dragon rider, and all of the magic that she does possess is due to the fact that she has a special bond with this dragon. It's like a connection between two souls, two living spirits. If that makes sense. Asa channels the magic into her rapier, and actually uses her rapier as a wand to cast certain types of spells such as shields and projectiles. This character is highly dependent on the whether or not you even allow dragons in this role play.

When it comes to magic in general, I like the idea of it being genetic and these people go to certain schools of magic to master a certain art. It's easy to write about because genetics is something that we have all learned in school. We are scientifically able to understand it, so I find it easier to write about.

I never really understood the utilizing of mana, and how it really worked because it's not something that I can scientifically comprehend. I don't understand utilizing mana because I never really know where it comes from and how it is replenished. Is it like world of war craft where mana is a liquid found at "mana springs" or "mana wells"? Is it just an "energy" in the atmosphere like in the anime Magi? This is something to consider when talking about mana. Where does it come from? Is it easy access? How do you replenish it? Is it a natural resource that can be diminished? Is it man-made? Does your body naturally replenish its mana levels?

Spirits and demons are not from the physical world, so this could be done in several ways. Some could argue that since they are no longer on the physical plain that they do not have to worry about "limitations". However, if you have ever watched Supernatural, freshly made spirits have a hard time making themselves known because they have to travel from limbo to the physical plain. It takes a lot of concentration and energy. Often in order to maintain their energy levels, spirits will attack and drain the "energy" of others to surpass these limitations.

Whenever magic becomes a topic for discussion in world building it is best to ask the "who, what, when, where, why" types of questions. I also believe that Brovo or Jorick created a lesson on magic for world building. I will link it here!

Reactions: rissa
Status
Not open for further replies.