All My Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Master Oliver came in Ding scrambled to her feet. He made his way around the room and stopped in front of her. "Ding." He said. "Your gatherings?" She quickly dug the money out of her pockets and handed it to him. "Good." He said shortly before going on his way. Ding watched him tensely. Luckily, most of the girls had gotten their money. One wasn't so lucky. Ding's heart went out to the girl as she was dragged into Master Oliver's office. Ding still carried the bruises from her own failures. Master Oliver was quite good at striking them where their clothes would cover it. She curled up on her cot, stuffing her head underneath her pillow as she tried to sleep. Tomorrow was another day.

Early the next morning as dawn broke, Darius could be found sitting on a low wall, his knees drawn up to his chest as he watched the sun rise over the horizon. Silently, he sipped on a coffee, then nibbled on a cinnamon bun as morning foot traffic started to pick up. A frown marred his features as he thought about what he'd read the night before- he'd looked up all the known pick-pocket rings, and from what he could gather, it was likliest that Ding worked for a man who went by the handle of 'Master Oliver', a real bastard known for using young girls for his schemes, and known for beating the girls that worked for him.

Idlely, Darius glanced up. He knew from the reports that this area was one typically worked by Ding.

Ding walked through the streets once more, doing her usual thing. It was pretty early, so there weren't a whole lot of people out yet. She just kind of meandered down the sidewalk. She frowned when she saw a familiar face sitting on a low wall. What was he doing here? Was he watching her? Her stomach was twisting a bit. She didn't like this, and she let her hair create a curtain between him and her. Maybe he wouldn't recognize her, and she'd just walk past with no problems.

Spotting Ding, Darius looked at her for a second as she hid her face. Guessing as to why, he hopped down off the wall, finishing his coffee and dood before collecting his parcel. Walking her way, he stopped right beside her, holding the bag he was carrying out, placing it on an out-door table that she'd been passing. "Here, some cinnamon rolls, in case you are hungry." With that, he was off without another word, sauntering down the side-walk.

Ding looked from the bag on the table to his back. Now he was bringing her food? She gingerly opened the bag and the smell of warm cinnamon rolls washed over her. She glanced towards him again. Maybe he wasn't so bad after all...maybe he really didn't want anything. She hurried after him, tugging at his arm when she finally caught up, then she froze. She hadn't thought about what to say. She quickly bowed her head a bit. "I...I...thank-you-for-the-food." She blurted out quickly. the words were smooshed together in her attempt to spit them out.

Darius smiled gently, turning slowly and placing a hand on Ding's shoulder. "No problem kiddo. You were looking like you hadn't had breakfast yet. How are you today? being careful I hope." He replied, using some casual, non-overt small talk- He could tell that she wasn't at ease, and it had been difficult for her to say any thing, so he figured it best to just be casual to help put her at ease.

She didn't flinch away from him this time, just studied him carefully with her dark eyes. She nodded at his thought of her being careful. "Yes." She whispered. "Working...I'm working." She told him. She probably should get back to it too, but she didn't want to leave. Not just yet.

Darius smiled. "Really? that's good." He replied, pulling his hand back from where he'd patted her on the shoulder. "You know Ding, you've got really pretty eyes, has anyone ever told you that?" He asked, taking a seat on a near-by bench. "So, how long have you been working your trade for?"

Ding frowned at him. "My eyes are no different from anyone else's." She objected. She hesitantly sat down next to him. "How long...since I was six or seven, I think." She said. "I don't really...remember." She glanced around worriedly. If one of the girls saw her, they'd rat her out and she'd get in so much trouble...

(Oh my goodness, I'm SOOO sorry! I thought I'd replied!)

Darius frowned slightly, seeing Ding's eyes dart around. "Hey, are you alright?" He asked, resting the palm of one hand against one of his cheeks.

(It's totally fine!)

She glanced back over at him, but her eyes weren't still for long. "Yes...yes, I'm fine." She said quietly. "I just need to get back to work." She stood and nodded to him. "It was nice talking to you." She told him. "But I have to go now."

Darius smiled warmly. "It was good talking with you again as well Ding. Take care of yourself, alright? And don't be afraid to call if you need help." With that, he stood up, turning and walking off, waving at her over one shoulder.

She shook her head a bit as she headed back down the street. What on earth was she doing? This was the most dangerous thing she could do! She twisted a strand of her hair nervously. Why was she getting involved with him? She shook her head and just put her mind on her work. If she didn't focus, she'd get in trouble again.

Darius frowned as he walked down the street- The way Ding had been acting... He'd seen similar behavior from kids who'd been taken from abusive parents. Was that Oliver fellow beating her and the others she worked with? Internally, Darius snarled at such an appalling thought- Abusers were among the worst kind of scum in his opinion!

Lost in his thoughts, Darius turned down an alley-way, only to hear a rustling behind him. Turning his head back, he saw a couple of punks walking side by side behind him, one holding a pipe, and the other having just pulled a knife. Looking back ahead, he saw this was an ambush, as two more popped up from behind trash cans. "Hey, give us all yer money!" One of the punks demanded.

In response, Darius grinned, a wicked glint in his eye- This would be fun.

Ding made her way down the street and collected money, but only half of her mind was on her work. She was still quite distracted. Which is probably what caused her to get caught. This man however, was not quite as kind to Ding as Darius was. He seized her wrist tightly and yelled angrily for a policeman. She quickly jerked her wrist out of his hand and bolted down the street; a policeman was right on her heels. She darted around a corner and bolted down the narrow street. She needed to loose this quy quick!

Status
Not open for further replies.