All about Games (Spoilers Ahead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LogicfromLogic

Original poster
You know, I got around to pondering while playing a game and thought about a few questions while doing so. I use games as a tool to open my mind and think outside the box, and really give some thought to things that would never occur to me. Some games help me look deeper into my past, some deeper into my mind. Some help me solve problems in real life while others help my creativity. So, of course that got me curious as to what others thought.

What game inspires your creativity?
What game helps you to really think deeper about life?
What game helps you to relax?
Get amped up?
Get frustrations out?
Which game gets you into character most?
What was your first game?
Favourite game(s)?
If you only could choose one game universe, which game would you be stuck in and why?
What system(s)?

My Answers

It's not going to be a very original answer but Minecraft has always been a great creative outlet for me. I've been working on an old roleplay idea for ages now, the roleplay died a long time ago but I'm still creating the school for Xavier's Gifted Youth with a Harry Potter mash up. So far I've gotten over 30 buildings done and two dorms.

It's going to sound strange but Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. I moved into the place I'm at three years ago (ironically I joined this site three years ago, hard to believe it's been that long) and was in a difficult place. I got it originally on the Xbox One but that didn't work with my wifi so I caved and got 360. That being beside the point, before I had gotten into some pretty heavy shit and my life was a mess. I hurt a lot of people with my ambitions, and destroyed my life practically. Playing the game and seeing some pretty bad mistakes on Edward's end, and the way it ended, I guess it holds special meaning to me because I know how he felt realizing that he was the reason so many people had suffered, and sought to mend the things he'd broken.

I play that game to really think about things in life.

Fable II seems to relax me once I get through the quest line when I'm playing my character Monty. However, Skyrim can be pretty relaxing despite all of the fighting in it. I haven't much games as far as Xbox 360, but I have a few PS2 games like Draken I love playing (well, once I get the right TV).

Get amped up?

The Walking Dead game with Daryl Dixon. I suck ass at it but it's really fun and gets me excited. Skyrim does at times too but not as much.

Get frustrations out?

Defiantly Skyrim. I hate Lydia so I'll play to shout her off, or I'll take on every dragon in the game. Well, as many as I can. I also play the Walking Dead game too, but rarely. Minecraft and Skyrim are what I play when I really frustrated, they help soothe me.

Fable II right now because I love how you can have an actual personality in it. Monty, my current Fable II character has completed the game but is raising a family while the Monty in Skyrim is just being a dick to everyone, the two sides of his character development is astonishing to me. These two games really help me brainstorm good character ideas.

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. I got them at the same time and switched back and forth between them. I still to this day cannot choose which is my favourite between the two.

Favourite game(s)?

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag
Skyrim
Soul Caliber (all of them)
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Draken
Lord of the Rings (PS2)
Walking Dead Telltale and other
Minecraft

If you only could choose one game universe, which game would you be stuck in and why?

Honestly I think I would choose Minecraft because you can create your own world. Or Fable II because of the Serenity House; and the adventures.

System(s)

PS2, Xbox One, Xbox 360

[tries to answer with limited game library]

I would say Hearthstone here (and indirectly World of Warcraft though I haven't played it) because it has some really 'creative' lore. I mean the game itself is alright but I really love the characters and their AUness and how each is a reference to something in WoW. Some people have told me the lore is just 'okay', but I find it really fascinating. Actually, I refer to it about religions and races if I ever need help with my own roleplays or to get some ideas. The dragons and stuff are so cool.

Don't have a game like this yet ^^"

Animal Crossing Wild World and Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. As a kid I really liked farming games, and messing around with Animal Crossing was really fun for my tiny self <3

Get amped up?
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Do I need to explain myself here? :P
Oh, and also Ghost Trick Phantom Detective, made by the same developers. Fucking great game with a brilliant story and the music. THE MUSIC.

Get frustrations out?
League of Legends, of course. It gets it all out in a bad way, then makes me angry again! I played for about two years or so, started when Aatrox came out on the NA server and got my free transfer to OCE with Pool Party Ziggs. I met a lot of people there by playing with friends, and met friends of friends and enjoyed myself. Some of them I still talk to to this day. But at the same time the repetitiveness just got to me and I don't find it remotely exciting anymore even with the vast amount of 'new content'. I still check up with the news, but I don't play anymore even with friends. Maybe I'll pick it back up when something exciting like URF comes out.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon the Time/Darkness/Sky series. I played Blue as well, but it didn't have as much impact on me like T/D/S. I think I played Time first, and it was the most emotional and touching game for me halfway through the story. Like I could seriously feel the fear when Groudon appeared, the surprise when it wasn't real, or super pissed off emotion I felt with Darkrai and Primal Dialga and I was so touched with Grovyle. It took me forever to complete the game but boy, it was good.

I have a lot I consider 'first games'. The furthest back I can remember is one of the Crash Bandicoot games on PS2, but I don't remember which game. I just remember jumping around collecting Wumpa Fruit and dying a lot because I'm an idiot. The first game I finished entirely was a Chinese version of Pokemon Sapphire with my grandmother reading through the text. And the first game I played by myself (with an understanding of English) was A Link to the Past. My first DS game was a Castlevania game I think, I got scared.

Favourite game(s)?
My favourite game of all time is definitely hands-down, Okami on the PSP/Wii. I had the Wii version and was given it for free. Didn't play it because I thought it was a terrible game. When I picked it up when I was trying out games (and ignoring the one game with zombies on it because I had nightmares) I was mindblown. The characters, the music the setting the world I got to explore. I've played it at least 10 times and I'll never get sick of it.

Also like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Time a lot soo, I'll add it here.
And Gray Garden and Wadanohara in the Great Blue Sea.

I would want to live in the Mogeko games universe. Gray Garden please. Screw the Blue Sea because Sal is there and Mogeko Castle because that place is fucked up.

What system(s)?
Abandoned PS2 somewhere in the house, PSP, GBA, DS, 3DSxl, Nintendo Wii and PC.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Minecraft & D&D Tabletop

Anything Bioware or Tell Tale. As well as To the Moon & Spec Ops the Line.

Civilization V or Beyond Earth, Mount and Blade Warband, GTA V.

Get amped up?
Dark Souls 1 & 2, GTA V Heists,

Get frustrations out?
Left 4 Dead 2, Payday 2, Saints Row 4

Any Bethesda Game.

Wolfenstien 3D (Killed Nazi's as a five year old :3)

Favourite game(s)?
Civilizations, XCOM, Mount and Blade, PULSAR

Beyond Earth. Advanced Tech, Alien Planet, Insane Superpower if you know what you're doing? :3

What system(s)?
PC, 3DS for the occasional/rare title

Last edited:
  • Love
No game really does this for me, even in games that center around creativity I'll make a mold and stick to it, like my endless desire to build cookie-cutter cities in Minecraft.

Does this happen for other people? My head's always talking, always reflecting, always thinking, the only time I get some peace is when I play video-games. So my answer is "none," thank god.

First-Person Shooters actually, most specifically the Halo series. You don't have to think about anything, it's mindless violence that acts as a vent for frustrations and it feels very relieving afterwards.

The Elder Scroll Series. I've pumped endless hours into Skyrim and Oblivion, and while I'll try to bring character to the games I play, it comes out specifically with this series. Be it the Breton Rouge, running from his past and spending all his coins on beer. The Imperial son of a nobleman, destined for something greater than he ever imagined. The Orc champion, with a heart bigger than his sword. The Khajiti thief, with a fear of water and a large bounty on her head. The High-Elf scribe, slowly falling to the corruption of the Daedra. The Wood-Elf contract-killer, at conflict with his own immortality.

Hell I even have a character qued up for Elder Scrolls VI

First I ever played was the TMNT game for the SNES, with my cousins.

First I owned was Diddy-Kong Racing.

Favourite game(s)?

Metroid Prime. This game is immersion at it's finest, and I recommend everyone try it out.

I'm tempted to say Elder Scrolls, just because of how much I love the lore. But I remember that it is an early society, without much in the way of sanitation and medicine. Life would be tough and most-likely not long.

Minecraft just would be far too......empty, even for me.

So that leaves me with a clear winner; Mass Effect!

It's got everything, the comfort and luxary of technology combined with the adventure of an unknown galaxy. Meaning I could explore the stars one day, and spend all my time browsing stupid videos on SpaceTube the next. And you can bet your ass I'm going after all of that hot, blue, alien space babe lovin.

What system(s)?

Currently I own a X-Box 360 and a gaming PC, but I was a Nintendo devotee just until the name of the "Revolution" was changed to "Wii".

With the hand how it is right now, and how the healing will likely go, my counsel gaming days might be over completely. It will also be years before I can play first-person games again, because my reaction time with my left hand is garbage. So right now I'll go with slow-pace, low-risk games.

• Love
Games like the Sims and Cities:Skylines I suppose. I used to play Sim City 4 so much when I was younger.

Any game with a great narrative that deals with real life scenarios. The greats of VNs that aren't just smut.

Guild wars 2. At least when I'm not playing with others, and I can listen to audiobooks while playing. I've spent so many hours doing that. Stardew valley and Binding of Isaac too.

Get amped up?
Saints row, music games.

Get frustrations out?
Good FPS or action games.

Probably Bioware's games. Shadowrun returns series. Games by telltale and cdprojekt. Great RPG games.

Spyro the dragon. I'm pretty sure I played games before that, but it's the earliest game I can remember the name of.

Favourite game(s)?
Dragon Age series, Saints row, Ratchet & Clank, Tales from the borderlands, Hitman: Blood Money, Life is strange, Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Probably a bunch of others I can't remember at the moment.

I'd like to say Dragon Age, but it's not set in an advanced age. Shadowrun would probably be more horrible than anything else even if it's advanced. I think Mass Effect would be the best.

What system(s)?
PC. There's so many advantages.

• Love
I really want to live in the Mass Effect universe so me and @Dervish can pool our money into buying a small freighter and have misadventures through the galaxy. Picking up rare items, picking up crew-members, picking up allies, and picking up hot alien women, as we explore the stars and mercenaries, smugglers, occasional pirates, and unintentional heroes.

I really want to live in the Mass Effect universe so me and @Dervish can pool our money into buying a small freighter and have misadventures through the galaxy. Picking up rare items, picking up crew-members, picking up allies, and picking up hot alien women, as we explore the stars and mercenaries, smugglers, occasional pirates, and unintentional heroes.
Let's just go buy an RV, paint it up like the Normandy, and go on an adventure with random people as we take on the planet doing all of that.

We'll be big guddamn heroes.

• Nice Execution!
See, I would have picked Mass Effect. But then I remembered about the Reapers.

Let's just go buy an RV, paint it up like the Normandy, and go on an adventure with random people as we take on the planet doing all of that.

We'll be big guddamn heroes.
...heh heh heh...

Alice: Madness Returns and the Dragon Age series, especially Inquisition.

None, really? My answer is similar to Cpt Toellner's.

Does Neko Atsume count? Uh... I guess any game where I can grind things out, or games I've played many times before. Final Fantasy 12 fits the bill on both of those. Oh, also the Binding of Isaac!

Get amped up?
Used to be Guild Wars 2, but I've since completely lost my spark for this game. I'll no doubt return, but not until the devs make some serious changes. Also, I'm just plain burnt out on it. Otherwise, I get really pumped up for Pokemon games, and I'm not sure why. Nostalgia maybe?

Honestly though, I just get really excited for most games. Except League of Legends. Fuck this game, why do I play it? *cry*

Get frustrations out?
Definitely Torchlight 2. I just boot up my Engineer or Outlander and make shit explode.

Definitely TES games, especially Skyrim. My roommate makes fun of me for how in character I get. :( I have several characters, all of which are extremely different, and I have so much fun alternating between them. Dragon Age is another one, but not quite to the extent of TES games. In games like Skyrim, I have no difficulty picking the 'cruel' options if that fits the character. In Dragon Age, most of my characters end up being on the benevolent side, because I'm a baby.

Aside from various MS DOS games that I can't even remember the names of, Duck Hunt and Pokemon Red were probably my first 'real' games.

Favourite game(s)?
Final Fantasy 12 is arguably my favourite game of all time. I also adore Alice: Madness Returns, and Dragon Age Inquisition is a new(ish) favourite.

Pokemon probably, because I'm a gigantic nerd. My other choices would be TES or Dragon Age, but I feel like I'm less likely to die a horrible death in the Pokemon universe. Plus, glorified pets! HECK YEAH. I probably wouldn't even battle them, I'd just enter contests. Nice.

What system(s)?
PC master race

• Love

Writing wise? almost all of the games I've played, even the dumb fun ones have given me an inspiration for a setting, character, etc when I write.

Not many, as much as there are "Deep, meaningful" games out of there, not many really catch me on a philosophical aspect. on a personal level? many do.

Witcher 3, I can just ride on horseback for days upon days.

Get amped up?

Fighting Games. Mortal Kombat X, Blazblue, etc.

Get frustrations out?

Dynasty Warriors Franchise, Borderlands 2, ZoE: The Second Runner.

Any game with an in depth Customisation system

Kirby's Fun Pack/ Kirby Super Star Ultra as you Americans may know it. Growing up, I'd have games from different periods at rando times.

Favourite game(s)?

Zone of The Enders: The Second Runner and Bloodborne by far. followed by Blood Omen:Legacy of Kain, Shadow of The Colossus, Tekken Tag Tournament, Jade Empire, Borderlands 2, Undertale, Ori and The Blind Forest. There's plenty more, often changing on a whim.

Pokemon because it's the least dangerous, plus I wanna fuckin ride on a Steelix, Hydreigon or a Wailord. Zone of The Enders because I want an Orbital Frame for myself to fuck shit up. Skyrim/Dragon Age because the chance to live my life as a rogue/warrior would be pretty damn cool. Mass Effect, same reasons as Skyrim/Dragon Age.

What system(s)?

PC, PS4(main one), Vita, 3DS, Wii-U, PS3 and 360. Vita, 3DS and Wii-U were the only ones I bought out of my own money :p.

• Love
-Dungeons and Dragons (and tabletop RPGs in general) because player interaction/sarcasm/insult-hurling/improv comedy at the table makes for great inspiration

-Final Fantasy 6. For all the reasons. Chrono Trigger is a close second.

-Baldur's Gate 2. Because its a wonderful C-RPG that can be crazy hard at times with some of my favorite voice actors doing Forgotten Realms characters.

Get amped up?
-Ace Combat. All of them. Because who doesn't feel like a badass playing a fighter pilot while awesome music is in the background?

Get frustrations out?
-Guilty Gear. Because Queen, heavy metal, and 2-D tournament fighting. PLUS! I can just pick it up and put it down (unlike RPGs, which require a time commitment).
-Melty Blood. Because I love playing cute anime girls who kick massive amounts of ass. Also, Tsukihime.

-Final Fantasy 6. Holy shit, did I love all of these characters (except Gogo and Umaro, but including Kefka).

-Super Mario Bros 1. NES era. 1980s for the win.

Favorite game(s)?
-Baldur's Gate 2 (because the characters and story were exactly what I loved about Bioware games before they got all grimdark)
-Planescape: Torment (because, holy shit, some of Chris Avellone's greatest stuff in his mythos; plus, wonderful incorporation of the campaign setting)
-Final Fantasy 6 (because its the best FF game; suck it, FF7)
-Chrono Trigger (because it and Chrono Trigger are arguably the best SquareSoft games ever made)
-Soul Calibur 2 (specifically this one -- they did so many strange tweaks to the others that I just didn't understand or like)
-The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (best Zelda game)
-Starcraft 2 (because competitive Starcraft is entertaining to watch)
-Assassins Creed 2 (fixed everything about Assassin's Creed 1, and also I love Parkour)
-Melty Blood (wonderfully fun 2-D tournament fighter based on the Tsukihime franchise)
-Fate Stay Night visual novel (because its got a great and involved mythos and magic system; also, Shirou/Rin/Saber threesome hentai scene ftw)

-Fate Stay Night (because I love this game's mythos; also, Saber/Rin are, together, the Best Girl; also, Shirou/Rin/Saber threesome)

What system(s)?
-Super Nintendo, Playstation 2. Because these were the bomb.

• Love
None in particular do. Once in a while, I find a neat idea from one, and toy with it, but rarely do games make me feel outright creatively inspired. In fact, it's usually the opposite: I run to games to calm an overly creative mind.
Thief II, Europa Universalis IV, Spec Ops: The Line. The first one makes me think about moral ambiguity in protagonists. The second one makes me think the same, but about empires. The third is just... A mental minefield of mindfuckery. It's one of the few games that has a statement about war and mental health that actually manages to nail it. Completely.
A lot of games do. It's why I play them to begin with.
Get amped up?
Left 4 Dead and other shooters generally can and do. Some RPG's can, like Dragon Age: Origins.
Get frustrations out?
Left 4 Dead, Dishonored and other stealth type games. Once in a blue moon I'll play a game like Saints Row and just gun down hordes of faceless goons.
None and all of them? :ferret: I try to get into the mindset of whatever protagonist I'm playing as, to ask myself why I'm doing the things I'm doing. I can zone quite into a game, but it generally requires the right circumstances. Getting frustrations out is not an unusual reason for it.
Warcraft II when I was knee high to a gopher. I wanted desperately to play because I saw my dad playing it. It's how I learned how to read: I kept trying to read the manual until I succeeded so I could play the game with my dad.
Favourite game(s)?
Warcraft III (dat map editor), Thief II (dat sound propagation engine and rich dark universe), Master of Orion II (because it was one of the few 4X games where it really felt like you had a hundred viable ways of playing), X-COM: Apocalypse (because real-time pausable X-Com set in a retro 50's idea of the future was awesome and highly underrated), Rome: Total War (because the entire world is wreathed in unknowns and darkness, and it was the first game where I got to command thousands of dudes against thousands of other dudes and let them rip each other apart), Left 4 Dead (because it's one of the best multiplayer coop games out there).
None of them. I love fantasy universes as escapes, but none hold as much depth as the real world.
What system(s)?
PC MASTER RACE.

Although that term is really stupid. It really is.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.