Alate Epoch (Viverescribere x Peregrine)

The seamstress smiled at the sleepy noise of complaint that came from within the blankets, setting her teeth on full display. However, the words that followed only a moment later caused her eyes to squint in happiness.

Unlike Brach, who went directly to Arryn to pick up Astrid, the rest of the servants in the palace knew nothing about the newly arrived fairy, other than the fact that she was His Majesty's fiancée. All of Brach's uncertain, reserved cynicism was completely missing from the rest of the staff. That meant Rioka-Suiki looked down at the sleeping future Empress with nothing but curiosity and kindness in her gaze.

However, Astrid's sudden yell caused Rioka's eyes to go wide in shock, as she let out a little yelp of her own. However, a moment later and she was on the other side of the bed, hovering worriedly around the fallen Astrid, uncertain if she should reach out her hand to help.

"Are you alright? Did you have a nightmare?" she asked, worry practically oozing from her voice. A second later and she seemed to settle on a conclusion, kneeling down next to Astrid with her long tail extending on the floor behind her, causing her loose skirt to billow out wide.

"It's okay, hold still. I'll help untangle you."

Reaching out a clawed hand, Rioka paused before her scales touched the blanket. However, a second later, and vividly green magic began to shimmer around her needle-like claws, before it stretched out towards the blanket like fine silken threads. The magic light wove itself into the blanket, before the entire bundle of blankets began to unfold like a blooming flower.

Only a few moments later, and Astrid was freed from her entanglement, the blanket neatly folding itself at the foot of the bed under the influence of Rioka's green magic. Rioka looked at Astrid with tender, worried eyes. "Are you alright, Your Majesty? That was quite the tumble."

• Sweet
Reactions: Viverescribere

Astrid

Her struggling only intensified as the unknown woman rounded the bed to help, soft coos of concern and worried questioning only causing further anxiety within Astrid. She knew of Sirens sounding like they mean well before trying to cause harm. At least they didn't look half as terrifying as the creature before her.

Not that Astrid would ever say such a thing. She wasn't that much of a bitch.

Eyes only widened further at the sight of the tail which came into sight as the woman knelt down beside her, body finally stilling. Perhaps she was still dreaming. Maybe this all was just one big nightmare. Or maybe she had even died in the battle against Shaden, and this was her afterlife. She had obviously committed some sort of behaviour which deserved punishment if she was being forced to see out her afterlife like this.

The magic that came next certainly didn't help assure any concerns that she had. Her heart rate spiking as the glimmering green light came to wash over the blanket, and therefore her, "W-wait-- wait, stop--!"

But it was too late, luckily for Astrid, she came to realise that the magic was merely working on the blanket, allowing her to escape the confines. That didn't stop her from struggling into a more dignified position, bringing her legs down from the bed and pushing herself back against the wall that the bed was pressed up against. Her wings, aching and cramping, were pulled tight to her back as her knees were drawn to her chest.

Not the image of the fearless warrior she was on the battlefield, that was for sure.

"W-What was that? What-what are you?" Astrid stammered out, eyes darting from the needle-like claws to the matching teeth. The neon, glowing eyes matched the colour that belonged to the magic that was on show before. They stood out harshly against the black scales that framed them. "Y-Your eyes, they-- and... and your-- the--" She motioned to her own face, meaning the scales.

If she had been awake upon the creature's entry to the room, she would have been more dignified and hopefully prepared. But the rude awakening had also caused Astrid to lose her concept of, well, subtlety. She wasn't meaning to be rude, or harsh, or cruel for that matter.

She simply didn't have a clue what was going on. Nor did she have any idea about just how different and unique each person in this new kingdom could truly be.

Hex code: #4b5f81

It took Rioka a few moments to realize that the fear in the young Empress' eyes wasn't directed towards some vague, unknown threat, left over from the remnants of sleep. Instead, it was squarely directed at her. A faint noise of surprise and confusion slipped from between Rioka's teeth, before she carefully withdrew her hand, which had been outstretched in concern. Folding her fingers inwards, nails resting against the meat of her palm, she tucked them carefully away behind her back, where the sight of them could do no further harm.

Taking a few steps backwards to give the young woman more room, Rioka bowed formally at the waist, her hands still tucked behind her back, tail swaying under her dress to help keep her balanced. "I am Rioka-Suiki, a s-seamstress under the p-patronage of the Imperial Palace. Greetings, your Im-imperial Majesty."

She wasn't certain what exactly she had done to upset the new Empress, but that didn't make it any less of a grievous offense. Tears were already starting to pool in her emerald green eyes, threatening to spill over onto her cheeks, and causing a lump in her throat that sometimes made her words stick in her mouth before she could say them in full.

She felt a deep sense of regret in her heart regarding her actions. Despite her position, she'd never been one for politics, always believing that a warm, honest, and friendly heart would serve her far better than stuffy formalities. Maybe if she had learned some etiquette, this never would have happened. Surely the maids would never have bollixed the situation as much as she just had.

Somewhat lost in her confusion, Rioka was doing just as poor of a job interpreting the source of Astrid's upset as Astrid was conveying it. Among the fairy's jumbled words, Rioka was only really able to latch on to one of them. Eyes.

Finally straightening from her bow, Rioka immediately lifted her hands, fingers still curved in, to cover her eyes. "I was here to help p-prepare your dress. I'm so sorry if my eyes have of-off-offended you! Should I c-call from another seamstress?"

• Sympathy & Compassion

Astrid

The rapid pace of her heartrate was finally slowing down, and with it, Astrid was beginning to lose the effects of the adrenaline that had hit her earlier. She kept her knees tight to her chest, however, as she allowed her time to survey the creature before her. Terrifying as it was in the moment, now the fairy had woken up and come down from her heightened state of fright, she was able to realise that the creature before her meant no harm.

The explanation of who she was also helped. Massively.

A tone of upset, and the threat of tears, was enough for Astrid to hesitantly unfurl from her fetal position. She peeled herself away from the wall, swallowing hard herself as she inched closer to the supposed seamstress. The creature before her wouldn't see, but Astrid's movement were trepidatious as she crept forward.

"No... need to apologise. There is... nothing wrong with your eyes." The fairy royal eventually spoke, choosing her words carefully lest she be the one to insult this time. She reached out, hand hesitating mid-air before continuing to rest over the creature's hand to pull it down and away from the eyes that had startled her so.

The feeling of scale under soft skin unnerved her slightly, but Astrid had regained her composure enough to simply offer a small smile of reassurance, "I'm sorry for how I reacted I-- I was just startled." She confessed, taking her hand away, "Rioka-Suiki? A pleasure. My name is Astrid..." She trailed off briefly, eyes pulled toward the movement behind the seamstress. She paused at the sight of the tail, wings quivering briefly until she had the mind to still them.

Astrid instantly brought her gaze back up, strengthening her smile after it had briefly faltered, "Forgive me, I... I'm just... unaccustomed to things in... your kingdom. I hope I didn't offend you."

• Sweet
Reactions: Peregrine
The future Empress' soft voice somewhat consoled Rioka, convincing her that she had, perhaps, committed no unforgivable offense. However, she still did not entirely have the confidence to lower her fists from where they were protecting her eyes. That was especially the case considering that she could hear the gentle pattering of unshod feet approaching her. What would she do if their closer proximity somehow messed things up again?

Rioka listened carefully to the Empress approaching, holding her entire body almost rigidly still, her tail pressed in close against her legs. Although it seemed like an ignoble comparison to make, that was what she had been told to do with small animals. Let them approach on their own terms.

The touch of a gentle hand against her scales caused Rioka to flinch slightly, but it only took her an instant to realize that the hand was trying to tug her hands away from her face. Rioka stiffened for an instant, hesitating, before she finally allowed the hand to pull her own away from her eyes.

Emerald green orbs stared out from within dark scales, blinking occasionally in a way that caused a trace of moisture to pool from the very bottom of her near perfectly round eye. For a second, they simply stood there like that, Rioka studying the Empress.

The nature of Shaden made it impossible for there to be any objective standard of beauty among the population. Instead, it was only a matter of personal preferences. But, as she cautiously studied the Empress, a small, tight-lipped smile flickered across her face.

She looked like she'd make a good pair with the Emperor, Rioka decided. They'd surely be a happy couple.

Containing her bubbling excitement at the thought of getting to create a wedding dress at some point in the future, all traces of moisture vanished from Rioka's expression, and she cheerfully swayed on the spot, her tail sweeping back and forth.

"Oh, no offense possible, Your Majesty." With a faint skip in her step, Rioka retreated to her cart, tugging it a little further into the room. "I'm only a seamstress, and you're soon to be the Empress Consort. That means you're in the right, as far as I'm concerned."

Rioka began to fiddle with the rolls of silk, pulling a few out from within the base and placing them at the top of the cart, in plain sight. "I think you'd look absolutely lovely in a purple dress, with a blue shawl and gold trim."

Rioka pulled forward three bolts, a light royal purple that shone with faint hints of blue iridescence, a sheer, gossamer blue, and a rich, metallic gold. She placed them all on top of the table, side by side. "How does that look, Your Majesty?"

• Love

Astrid

This creature was the complete opposite to Brach-Ajdima, Astrid noticed, and it pleased her. While the nature of her being here was still slightly sour and the seamstress had undoubtedly given her quite the fright... Astrid liked to think, going forward, that nothing uncivil would occur with Rioka.

It was rather odd just how opposing Rioka's nature was compared to her appearance. The seamstress was gentle and emotional and sensitive. Nothing akin to the dark scales and glowing eyes that faced her. Her soul was kind and soft, while her exterior was hard and vicious-looking. It was unlike anything Astrid had seen before, and she was beginning to realise that Shaden would continue to surprise and shock her. Perhaps now she would just be better prepared for it.

Just as the future Empress was beginning to formulate words to offer a handkerchief to the seamstress, spotting the moisture gathering in the eyes that had once struck fear into her being, Rioka had turned with an excited energy buzzing around her. Astrid blinked, lips closing and words dying on her tongue as she watched the seamstress move as if the upset Astrid's words had unwittingly caused hadn't even occurred in the first place.

"The person in power is not always right, Rioka." The fairy couldn't help but quote her father to the other being, pausing after realising she had done so. Astrid fell silent as the seamstress pulled the trolley of materials into the suite, and then began to organise them, too caught up in her memories of her father lecturing her after speaking such words. It had been one of the many lessons she had learned, and something she had stuck to throughout her days preparing to be the next ruler of Arryn. Not that that would happen now. Or at least not in the way she envisioned it growing up.

Astrid pulled herself from her thoughts at the sound of her title being used, the fairy blinking a handful of times to bring herself back to reality. As they focused back in, they were immediately drawn to the bolts of cloth that were sat upon the top of the trolley Rioka had pulled in.

She stepped forward quietly, approaching with eyes that had widened ever so slightly. Her gaze drank in the rich colour that shimmered like water and melted gold. Her fingers reached out, confirming that it was indeed silk that these colours were on, and she shook her head in disbelief. However she was quick to explain herself, not wanting to be misinterpreted again.

"These... these colours are simply... gorgeous." She complimented sincerely, fingers gently rolling the end of one bolt between them, "I've never seen anything like these before. How-- how do you manage it?" Astrid questioned, glancing up to the seamstress with her query.

Perhaps it was vain, but she could already envision such a gown on her body. The purple silk cascading over her figure like an oddly-coloured waterfall, the shade of which would reflect on her wings and make them seem a little more lavender than usual. It would make her skin look fairer, and add an extra fieriness to her already flame-like hair.

Her eyes dropped back down onto the bolts of material, hand grazing over the top of all three before she retracted it, forcing herself to behave, "It all looks beautiful, Rioka-Suiki. What will it be for?"

It was, perhaps, fortunate that Rioka was too busy fiddling with fabrics to hear Astrid's comment on the fallibility of royalty. After all, to the people of Shaden, His Imperial Majesty Kilroth might as well be their god. He was the one who founded Shaden, so long ago. Everything they had was due to his judgement and guidance.

Those who had sufficient knowledge, status, or skill could provide him with information, offer their opinions and beliefs, but when it came time everyone knew Kilroth held final judgement. The success of the empire only served to remind all his subjects of the continued wisdom of his decisions.

There was no telling how the seamstress, so loyal to the new empress consort simply because His Majesty had declared her to occupy that role, would have reacted.

Instead, Rioka happily busied herself with fabric, giving a toothy smile of satisfaction at Astrid's astonished reaction. "I'm so glad you like them, Your Majesty. They're some of the finest fabrics I've ever worked with, truth. The silk threads are produced by the moth fairies, before being spun by brownies. It was then modified by the light elves, who are the ones responsible for the stunning color variations. Finally, they're given a treatment by the iron gnomes, to ensure their durability and long lifespan."

Rioka's green magic threads were starting to appear from her nails once more, which reached out to hook into the cloth rolls. Despite their thin nature, the magic was fully capable of lifting the heavy rolls, carrying them closer to Rioka and Astrid.

"I'll make you a stunning court dress, Your Majesty. Enough to make the Emperor's heart flutter at the sight of you." Giggling to herself in satisfaction, Rioka moved closer, her hand stretching momentarily for Astrid's arm, before hesitating. Eventually, her nailed hand retracted.

"Could you extend your arms out slightly, Your Majesty? So I can get the fabric around you?"

As soon as Astrid complied, the rolls of silk moved closer to her, almost instantly beginning to be tugged around by the dexterous movement of Rioka's magic threads. In some regards, the silk looked like a toy puppet, being tugged around by a master puppeteer.

As Rioka continued to tug the fabric around, forming it to Astrid's body as she went, her thoughts turned back to the brownies. Although it wasn't common knowledge, she'd heard that the latest military expedition had been intended to help repopulate one of the brownie communities in the Outer Villages, now that most of the former residents had settled into Shaden proper. She didn't know much, but hopefully His Majesty's early return boded well. She always loved working with brownie woven fabric, even more so than those made by her own shark people.

The casual thought caused Rioka to remember Astrid's shocked reaction upon her arrival. And, while these colors were particularly exceptional, it wasn't as though they were completely out of reach for any hard-working citizen of Shaden.

Hesitating for a moment, Rioka began to speak, faking a casualness that looked as though it was mere idle thought as she focused on her work.

"Are you from the Outer Villages, dearie? I've heard rumors that some of the people there are not used to seeing anyone but their own kind."

Astrid

"Court dress..." Astrid repeated the words, still slightly in a daze as she continued to regard the fabric on the trolley before her. It was truly stupendous, just what she was learning about Shaden and all it had to offer. The richness of material and colour was commendable, and she had to wonder how her own kingdom didn't have access to it themselves. She supposed it was due to the missing factor of the light elves.

They had an amicable agreement with the Brownies, and therefore were often allowed to trade with them, often purchasing their woven fabrics in exchange for items of similar value within the Fairy kingdom. It was why Astrid's clothes were so soft, and so well-made. Brownie woven fabrics were simply perfect for everything and anything, and it was no secret that she preferred it to the stuff woven or made by her own kind, or by others.

"Wait, court dress? Emperor? Heart flutter?" Astrid spluttered, blinking herself from her thoughts to look to the other being. Her gaze latched onto the green threads that now lingered in the air, holding up the bolts of material as if they were nothing. Her ears hearing the request to lift her arms, which she reluctantly did. It was only now she realised how inappropriately dressed she had been during the whole exchange with Rioka, but her cheeks didn't warm from embarrassment. She had had maid's to help her dress before, due to the nature of her wings, but it was simply a little uncomfortable for Astrid due to the other being a stranger to her.

The Fairy had chosen a silken vest for her upper half and only a set of underwear for her lower half in which to take her nap. It was what she preferred, with less material to tangle or snag on her wings plus it kept her cool.

Shifting slightly where she stood, Astrid cleared her throat and awkwardly allowed her gaze to dart around the room, not wishing to focus too much on the green threads of magic, which she could easily see just dropping the fabric and circling around her throat instead.

"Outer Villages?" Her brow furrowed slightly at the concept, eyes dropping back to Rioka as the woman worked, "I come from Arryn, Kingdom of Fairies. It was a kingdom, not a village. Is that-- is that what your Emperor tells you? That you're surrounded by villages?" She questioned, "We interact frequently with others. Some are more... pleasant than others. Brownies, sirens, oceanids, selkies... We-- we see more than our own kind. If only for business at times."

Rioka, humming the occasional note to herself in happiness as she pulled the fabric carefully around Astrid, froze suddenly at the sound of her words. In her surprise, the green magic coming from her fingers momentarily flickered out, causing the fabric to almost hit the floor before her green threads managed to catch it again.

"You're… you're from outside the Empire?" Rioka asked, shock evident not only in her voice, but in her widened eyes and suddenly stiff posture. "I… I'm sorry."

For several moments, Rioka didn't know how to react to this frankly astonishing piece of information. She also wasn't entirely sure why she was apologizing. In part, it was due to the simple fact that she felt sorry for Astrid, knowing that she hadn't been born and raised in the Empire. After all, Rioka was fully confident in saying that there was no better place to live than here.

However, that certainly wasn't all of it. For all that Rioka knew that the Empire was the best place to live, that it was free from the illogical conflict and divisions that everyone was taught consumed the outside world, she also knew that people weren't willing to accept that at first. That was, in fact, exactly why the Outer Villages existed. The outsiders were always unwilling to give up their ways.

Was that the case for this new Empress? Surely the Emperor wouldn't have brought in someone who didn't even believe in their ways to be their ruler? But, judging by the way she had reacted thus far, that very well might not be the case.

Rioka didn't know. All she could do was trust in His Majesty's judgement.

Wrapped up in her thoughts, it took Rioka a few moments of stammering to get the conversation back on track. "That is… umm… no. No one says that there's only villages outside the Empire. Instead, I mean, the Outer Villages are just their own thing."

She might not be the most knowledgeable about etiquette, but Rioka had a good heart and strong people instincts, and she had the feeling that saying that was 'where they kept people that the Empire brought in from outside' might not be the most agreeable subject of conversation. The sudden realization that Astrid had said 'brownies' didn't really help the matter either.

Floundering unconsciously as Rioka tried to find a way to ease the awkwardness in the atmosphere, she latched onto the first topic of conversation that came to mind. "What do you think of Shaden so far, Your Majesty?"

Astrid

A person would have had to have been blind, or just plain stupid, to have missed the reaction Astrid's confession received from Rioka. Astrid was neither, and thus eyed the other female suspiciously. The apology, the shock, and the body language were all factors that worked towards Astrid's defences shooting straight back up.

"Why are you apologising?" She asked coolly, eyebrow raising in response, "I don't regret being born there."

So badly did she wish to step away from the magic-infused bolt of material, suddenly no longer feeling entirely comfortable with staying within the grasp of the green threads of magic. The reaction towards her admitting to being from 'outside' was enough to tell Astrid that the people in this empire truly did have the fabric pulled over their eyes, so to speak. And for her Kingdom to be relegated down to a mere village. It was simply disgusting. Arryn had a long and proud history, as did many of the outer Kingdoms that Astrid and her kind had either fought against or negotiated with. For those traditions, history and their lives to demoted in such a way... it did not sit well with the fairy royal.

A muscle in her jaw jumped, but as soon as that potentially hardened expression arrived it was gone again, replaced with something calmer and more neutral. "We aren't villages. We are, in some cases were, our own Kingdoms. I would appreciate it if you stopped referring to the place where I grew up as a village when it is, in fact, a Kingdom." She murmured diplomatically, keeping her voice level, soft but firm.

Astrid turned her head so she could look across to the balcony and the slightly ajar doors. Her wings fluttered lightly, a faint quiver, as she allowed the silence to grow between herself and Rioka. She had nothing more to say in that moment, instead taking the chance to reflect on just what Shaden was like. She was beginning to form her own opinion, and it wasn't a good one.

At the question regarding her thoughts on Shaden, Astrid struggled. She didn't wish to answer, knowing that she would find it difficult to say anything truly nice about the place that had almost ruined Arryn's agreement with the Brownies, that had plucked her away from her home for no reason, and didn't really welcome her with the best considering her and Bach's less than amicable start.

"I'm sure I'll come to appreciate it more with time," she finally answered, words once more chosen carefully, "It's hard to reflect on your new home when you're currently still missing your old one."

Last edited:
In that moment, Rioka wanted nothing so much as to curl in on herself, lower her eyes, and not look away from her fabric until it was time for her to leave the future Empress' room. Rioka didn't know how a conversation about where the Empress had come from had somehow turned into her insulting the Empress instead.

In truth, Rioka wanted nothing more than to run away at that moment. She didn't like conflict, not even as mild of one as this. However, the feel of the fabric under the touch of her magic at least kept her calm enough to avoid such an embarrassment.

She didn't know what she'd do if word of her transgressions somehow made it back to His Majesty. She wouldn't have the nerve to keep working at the Royal Palace if rumors ever got out that she'd somehow insulted the Empress' hometown.

She had to at least try to correct this.

"Your Majesty, please. The Outer Villages are a part of Shaden. And I never said that where you came from was a village. Nor did anyone else! I only thought that you might be from the Outer Villages because you'd never seen a kojin before. We're not uncommon in Shaden's cities. I didn't know where you came from."

Rioka's emotions were already surging again, and it took all of her self-control to keep tears from pooling in her eyes again. She had no idea how this entire situation had become so complicated. Even making suits for His Majesty hadn't been as nerve wracking as this, and Rioka had thought she was about to trip over herself the whole time through.

"I'm sorry I made an incorrect assumption. I'm sorry I didn't express myself clearly enough. I'm sorry I didn't apologize correctly. I'm really, really sorry, Your Majesty. But I still implore you not to put words in my mouth."

Rioka didn't know if she was making the situation better. Or worse. She was likely making it worse. But at least now she'd tried, and if she'd somehow managed to embarrass herself out of a job altogether, at least she could honestly tell her mother she'd tried her best to repair the situation.

At the very least, her pride as a tailor had yet to fail her. Even through her fluctuating emotions and faint hints of desperation, through the entirety of her explanation, she'd managed to keep working on assembling the Empress' dress. The layers of purple silk were already starting to form together into a sleeveless bodice, and cascading ball skirt.

If this was the last Royal Outfit she'd ever get to make, she'd at least ensure it was one of her best.

Astrid

"Please-- stop... apologising."

Astrid exhaled, raising a hand to her face to pinch the bridge of her nose, eyes closing as she did so. It was beginning to get slightly overwhelming for the young Empress, who was starting to wish she had sent away the seamstress so she could have had slightly longer in bed. She knew she was irritable because of the exhaustion that was beginning to creep in, and that was effecting her judgement and interpretation of things. Not to mention she was still unnerved and slightly nervous about the threads of green magic she continued to witness, unused to such sights.

She didn't wish to keep upsetting Rioka, and briefly considered sending the...kojin - was that was she called herself? - away before even more ties could be shredded. Astrid was aware of her lack of allies in this new Empire, and didn't want to keep hurting the one being that seemed to be at least relatively nice to her.

It was understood that the kojin meant well, with her countless apologies and her explanation of what she meant... but with all the words being said, Astrid just would have appreciated some quiet so she could organise her thoughts and rein in her emotions once again.

Taking in a deep breath and tilting her head back so her face was directed at the ceiling, Astrid counted backwards from five as she composed herself. Eventually her head lowered, directed toward Rioka. She forced a small smile to her lips, wings fluttering slightly in her agitation.

"Let's just... forget about this and move on, shall we? We needn't carry on this route of conversation. To be frank with you, Rioka, I'm exhausted and drained and beginning to become slightly hungry." She confessed, deciding to show a slight softness, "So I apologise for my natural crankiness. Shall we just... draw a line under this subject and move passed it?"

Astrid truly did just want to forget about the conversation regarding Outer Villages and Shaden and then the other Kingdoms. It could be a topic she would tackle when her body was properly charged and her mind had removed the cobwebs that had appeared from both the unusual mode of transport and also her day-nap.

"I don't wish for us to get off on the wrong foot, especially when I can imagine we may see a lot of each other in the future." Astrid continued, hands soon rubbing over face, "So let us forget about this whole debacle and carry on with a different topic, shall we? Like... how about you just walk me through this dress you're creating. You said it's for court... I wasn't even aware I'd be joining court any time soon."

Rioka was now absolutely certain she'd erred unforgivably. Not only had the future Empress not given any word that she accepted Rioka's apology, but it also appeared as though she didn't acknowledge her explanation about the Outer Villages. Why else would she be so determined to avoid any further conversation on the matter?

She could only be grateful to Her Majesty for her willingness to offer kind platitudes in her attempt to smooth over Rioka's mistakes. She was just like His Majesty in that regard, always determined to do what was best for those around him, both on a large scale and an individual one.

However, she also knew how much His Majesty valued responsibility and self-understanding. Rioka had always been convinced she was the most suited person to serve as a royal tailor, but now she knew that was nothing but a delusion. Her mother had always warned her that her light-hearted ways would get her in trouble some day, yet Rioka had never paid her any heed. That was all coming back to haunt her now.

As soon as she was done tending to the Empress, Rioka would have to make sure she took responsibility for her mistakes.

"Of course, Your Majesty," Rioka complied, finally and gratefully able to drop her eyes back to the dress. "I'm..." No, she'd been told to stop apologizing. "As you command. Would you like me to send for a maid to bring a mid-afternoon snack?"

The Empress' suite would doubtless be connected to the communications system that covered the whole palace, and although Rioka had never really used it herself, she'd been in her fair share of noble households. She was certain she'd be able to figure it out well enough to call for some fruit and pastries.

"As for you going to court, I don't know. I've never been myself. I'm sure His Majesty will be able to explain it when you meet him." Citizens were welcome to observe the court at any time, but Rioka had never particularly felt the need. It wasn't all that interesting in her opinion to just sit there and listen to people talk. "However, His Majesty did request you be made an outfit befitting of your position, and I gladly volunteered. After all, first impressions are the kind of thing that can only be made once! That's why I'm following the style of the latest fashion among noble ladies in Myirean, especially in the skirt, while still mixing in traditional royal cuts in the bodice and collar. It's also essential that it perfectly compliment your hair and wings, which is why I'm leaving the back open. It should allow you full range of motion, while also showing off your figure."

The green threads were already starting to pull the fabric together. Her magic made tailoring particularly easy, because she could use it to cut and form the fabric directly around the person they were meant for. Within a few more minutes, she'd have the last of the seams together.

"You'll truly be the envy of every woman who sees you, Your Majesty. Which is exactly how they should feel. That way, your splendor will be on display for the entire royal palace to admire!"

Wrapped up in her cheer of discussing the dress, Rioka momentarily forgot that she was supposed to behave in a more reserved manner, to prevent herself from making any more devastating faux pas. However, she caught herself only a moment later. Dropping her eyes, Rioka gestured towards the mirror, stepping back and taking her magical threads with her.

"Please, take a look and give me your opinion, Your Majesty. If you like the general form, I'll start adding the gold trim and the finishing touches."

True to Rioka's description, the dress clung close to Astrid's body, fitting neatly against her waist before flaring out into a ball skirt. The dress itself appeared strapless, shaping neatly to her collar bone before dropping away to leave her wings and shoulder blades free. However, the sheer blue shawl that draped over her shoulders and arms was secretly sewn into the bodice, ensured that there would be no possibility for an embarrassing accident, even if someone were daring enough to tread upon her hem.

Soon enough, Rioka would layer in hints of gold, on the edges and the collar of the shawl, and along her bodice, flowing down into the skirt. It would tie the entire dress together beautifully, and ensure that everyone who looked at her would know she was a core part of the royal family.

Astrid

The possibility of a mid-afternoon snack was incredibly tempting, and something Astrid considered for a brief moment in time. Her mouth even watered at the prospect of sinking her teeth into something, like a juicy piece of fruit. However, she had no idea what the time was and what would be expected of her now in the castle.

If it was the afternoon, would lunch be served? Or if she had missed it, when would dinner be prepared? She didn't want to ruin her appetite with a snack and not be able to eat her dinner; that would simply be rude. She couldn't afford to offend the Emperor, regardless of how little she thought of him. He had seemingly spared Arryn... for now. Astrid couldn't contend with the idea of potentially insulting the man that could order a war on her kingdom regardless of their agreement.

"No... no. It's alright. I think it best if I wait. Wouldn't want to be called upon for a meal and find myself too full to eat anything." She shook her head before looking to Rioka, offering a smile of gratitude, "But thank you, for offering."

Astrid was sure to fall silent, as the seamstress began to talk about the work she was doing and the dress she was creating. It was enjoyable to see the kojin speak of something confidently and almost lovingly, and it was easy to see that this was a passion of hers. Astrid found it interesting, listening to how her gown had been blended with a mixture of styles, but it was even more pleasurable to be on a topic that didn't seem to strain either of them. And didn't cause Rioka to apologise every five seconds.

The royal moved into a space just before the mirror as instructed, mildly uncertain if she wanted to be the envy of other women in an Empire where they were capable of using magic. She was vulnerable in that sense, only having her wings and words to defend herself with. The idea that any of these... magic wielders could potentially turn their envy into violence was something that was probably akin to paranoia, but an idea planted in her mind no less.

Yet upon laying her eyes upon herself in the gown, Astrid came to realise that the gowns she wore back in Arryn would hold no candle to the outfits she would be given in Shaden.

The rich purples and blues made the shades of her fiery red hair deepen, which in turn seemed to brighten her blue-grey eyes to a point where she had to wonder if they had turned silver. The bodice of the dress hugged her beautifully, shamelessly showing off her figure before the material cascaded down over her. It was like a waterfall of fabric, just like she imagined it would be. The open back caused her breath to catch, eyes briefly widening at the sight of it. It was more skin than she was used to showing off in public in Arryn. But it was most definitely her favourite part of the dress, as there was no constriction on her wings.

"It's... gorgeous. You truly are... a talented seamstress, Rioka." Astrid complimented, turning each and everyway to get a different view of herself. She shook her head in disbelief at the result of what was before just bolts of material laying on a trolley, which were now a beautiful gown.

Her only request came as to not wanting too much material on the skirt, always having found it cumbersome and heavy to have too much pooling around her feet and weighing on her hips. It also didn't bode well for any emergency flights - which was something the people of Arryn always took into consideration when making their outfits. A pair of form fitting, opaque tights were also requested... since she didn't particularly want to show off her underwear should she do any flying in the outfit.

Once the seamstress was finished, Astrid came to view herself again. Her eyes drank in all the additional detail that had been added, teeth gently sinking into her lower lip as she examined the finished product.

"Are you... my seamstress for the entirety of my time here, Rioka?" Astrid finally asked, tearing her gaze away from the dress in the mirror to look at the seamstress expectantly.

The sight of Astrid surveying her reflection in the mirror like a child trying to pick their favorite toy in a toy store left Rioka's heart all but glowing with pleasure. There were very few kojin that were not infatuated with fabric, in some regard or another. Some loved making them, some loved decorating them, some most enjoyed viewing them. But Rioka's deepest pleasure had always come from watching other people's love of fabric, and she'd found nothing that brought out people's admiration in the same way that clothes did.

"I have good material to work with," Rioka replied, somewhat humbly. And, of course, it wasn't intended to just be a compliment to the fabric. She gently pulled Astrid away from the mirror and back towards .

The golden fabric unraveled like a butterfly emerging from the cocoon at the touch of Rioka's magic. Shimmering pieces, some of them hardly wider than a few threads, began to layer onto her bodice in tasteful opulence. Cautious of Astrid's request to keep the skirt light, Rioka only had the gold spill down onto her skirt in a few locations, tying the skirt and chest together nicely. Her final touches focused in particular on the back of the dress, framing the waist and skirt such that Astrid's shimmering wings seemed to become a part of the dress itself.

"There! Finished." Rioka once again urged Astrid over to the mirror, encouraging her to take a look.

As the two of them stood together, admiring Astrid's reflection in the mirror, Rioka almost instantly decided upon the finishing piece that would be required for the dress. She stopped trying to reign in her temperamental emotions, and instead allowed them to course through her like a raging river. "Yo...Your Majesty. You look so b-b-beautiful!" Tears almost instantly began to stream down Rioka's face, cascading down her cheeks like a miniature waterfall. However, unexpectedly, they did not fall to the ground after dripping off her chin. Instead, they hovered right in front of her chest, collecting into a crystal clear orb that gradually began to take on the shape of a six-petaled flower.

As Rioka stopped crying, the tear drops seemed to almost fold in upon themselves, turning crystalline in an instant. A second later, and the newly formed gemstone began to glow with the unique, bluish light unique to magic stones. From within the cart, Rioka pulled out a twisted cord, before stringing the stone onto it and very gently hanging it around Astrid's neck. The rose-like magic stone pulsed with a faint internal light, seeming to make Astrid's entire dress shimmer in time.

"A final piece. And a present, Your Majesty." Rioka stepped backwards slightly, bowing, allowing Astrid to observe herself uninterrupted.

Speaking softly, almost as though to herself, Rioka smiled slightly at Astrid's words. "I dare not claim such an honor to be mine exclusively," she replied. "Not least of all because I don't think the other seamstresses would forgive me for monopolizing you. But I'm so glad you like the dress."

Astrid

Instantly, Astrid's cheeks flushed with an almost shyness to her at the compliment Rioka provided her. She had listened to and heard similar things being told to her before by potential suitors, by people wanting to win her affection... and thus those comments never felt like they had any truth to them, any gravitas. However with Rioka, while Astrid could easily allow herself to think that the kojin was simply being overemotional or simply playing up to the creation she had so fantastically provided Astrid, the royal knew that Rioka was being honest. Thus, it overwhelmed her slightly. But in a good way.

Her concerns immediately went to the other creature at her uncontrollable sobbing. But she went still at the sight of Rioka's tears doing things that were simply unimaginable.

"What--" Astrid breathed, brow furrowing as she watched through the mirror as Rioka's tears formed a jewel of some kind. She simply couldn't begin to understand or even comprehend the sort of magic that was being performed by the kojin, much less the magic that was so clearly on hand to people within the empire.

Her hand reached up to softly graze fingertips over the stone, feet moving to step closer to the mirror so she could inspect her new necklace a little more closely. "Rioka... I-- it's beautiful but just-- I'm sorry but I don't understand what it... is. Does it-- does it have magic?" She questioned, looking up to peer at the seamstress through the mirror.

The soon-to-be new Empress paused as she went back to allowing her eyes the freedom of running over her dress and her figure again, already noticing details she had missed first time around.

"Well that is a shame... I was hoping to monopolize you. Not the other way around." Astrid sighed, body twisting to get another look at the open back and her wings, which fluttered softly, shimmering immediately with the rest of the outfit, "You're incredibly talented...and have been very kind and patient with me. I would be honoured if you...continued making my outfits. With or without the help of others." The young royal's eyes raised to meet Rioka's through the mirror, pausing to let the request sink in, "I love this dress.... I truly do. I... I'm glad it's the one I'll be wearing to my first ever court appearance, and I have you to thank for that - regardless of what you say about the fabric."

"Have you…" Rioka began, about to ask in surprise whether Astrid had never seen a magic stone before. However, she fumbled the words almost instantly, her tongue twisting around itself as she remembered exactly how poorly the previous conversation that started with a similar question had gone.

Better to just treat it as straightforward as possible.

"It's a magic stone, Your Majesty," Rioka clarified, her words unconsciously slowing slightly as she tried to find simple terms to put it in. "It doesn't… do anything on its own, but it is able to store raw magic power. That means anyone is capable of using it to power magic, regardless of their type of magic. A lot of them in Shaden are used to power small household formations, but I've always thought it makes the most beautiful jewelry too.

"Kojin produce magic stones when they cry. It's why there aren't many free populations left outside Shaden, or so I've heard."

It wasn't the most pleasant of subjects, but Rioka treated it with a surprisingly blase attitude considering it was supposed to be her own kind. For her part, it was a distant problem. She felt sorry for them, and would be more than ready to shed a tear or two in their name. But there was nothing she could do about it; all it did was reaffirm her own love of her country.

Listening to Astrid's continued praise of both her dress and herself—herself!—Rioka's tail began to incessantly twitch as her heart rate accelerated in embarrassment. For a second she longed to clamp it in place with her hands, like she had when she was a child, but instead she bowed forward. "You honor me deeply with your words, Your Majesty," she replied, voice filled with gratitude. "If you wish for me to make more clothes for you in the future, you need only call for me."

It was only after speaking such heartfelt words that Rioka suddenly remembered she'd been intending to tender her resignation after completing Astrid's dress. As she straightened somewhat awkwardly from her bow, she decided she'd simply have to shelve that plan for now. There was no way she could let down Her Majesty even further if the future Empress truly intended to call for her again.

As for the matter of her previous offense… well, maybe she'd simply have to take it as a requirement that she finally take those etiquette courses she'd been postponing for years.

Astrid

Once Rioka left, Astrid found herself left to her own devices again. She didn't stay a moment longer in the dress, not wanting to crease or wrinkle it before she was due to show it off... wherever that would be. So she carefully undressed and fetched a suitable hanger from the larger-than-life wardrobe in the bedroom. She hung it up on the screen divider that allowed her privacy if anyone else was in the room and then lingered, uncertain, in the bedroom.

Her fingers reached for the stone necklace that she had kept around her throat, rolling it between thumb and forefinger as her body finally moved forward. She remained in her silk vest top and underwear, not really entirely sure what she ought to dress into for the meantime. With a soft huff, Astrid glanced sideways to her bed, wondering if she ought to just nap the rest of the day away. She was still groggy from the unusual mode of transportation and drained from the emotion of leaving home and the rollercoaster of a conversation with Rioka, as lovely as the seamstress was.

Exhaling softly and straightening back up, the future Empress stretched her arms out wide and then above her head, going up onto tip-toe in the stretch. They said they would let her rest, so perhaps it wouldn't be an issue if they came in to find her snoozing again. The only thing Astrid wanted to avoid was being perceived as lazy or lethargic when that was the complete opposite. It was simply a matter of being unused to their odd portals. Surely they would understand, since they all had to use them for the first time once in their lives, did they not?

As a result of her inner pondering, Astrid found her feet walking her back to the soft comforts of the bed, climbing within the sheets once more with a relieved sigh. Her head was beginning to ache with the debates she had been having with herself and the emotional conflict of leaving home and the sensitive conversation with Rioka. It felt as though it was stuffed with cotton wool, leaving it to feel heavy on her neck. So it didn't take long for her to succumb to sleep once more as soon as her body became buried within the numerous pillows and silken sheets.

When Astrid woke again, there was a knocking to her door and the sun seemed to be settling in for the night, lowering and casting dark gold rays across the room. Reluctantly, the former fairy empress sat up, calling for those on the other side of the door to enter. At the sight of a maid and Rioka, Astrid could only assume that it was time to attend court.

At that thought, her stomach clenched, her toes curling under the sheets with the tension that had entered her body. Little was known about Shaden in terms of their customs and formal greetings. Would she have to curtsey? Did she do something entirely different? The last thing she needed was to accidentally offend her future husband, or anyone in court, and to have the armistice he proposed revoked.

It was with great reluctance that Astrid left her bed, at least feeling a little better than she had done earlier that day, and softly requested Rioka's help to get back into the dress she had created for her. As the kojin fussed around her, Astrid watched her quietly in the mirror, no longer as terrified by the other's appearance. She supposed it would be something she would need to become accustomed to, if Shaden's people were as uniquely formed. She just hoped she didn't inadvertently offend anyone else like she had with Rioka that afternoon.

"Rioka... may I ask you something?"
She questioned finally, turning her gaze onto her own reflection, lowering her hand from where it fiddled with the flower shaped stone the kojin had gifted her with, "...The... customs here. When I enter court, do you know what I should do? I wouldn't wish to... cause upset or offend your Emperor. I was hoping you would know how I should present myself."

Last edited:
Rioka returned to Astrid's room after many hours had passed. This time, the kojin remembered to wait outside the door after she knocked, although the firm eyes of the quiet maid, a small young woman with a long-haired grey cat's face, were a constant reminder that Rioka was supposed to behave herself.

Fortunately for the seamstress, she didn't have to worry long about what she'd do if the Empress didn't answer the door. After only a few moments passed, a voice on the other side of the door called for them to enter.

Smiling warmly at the sight of the young woman once again nestled in the blankets, Rioka quickly located Astrid's purple court dress after she finished a polite greeting, carrying it over to the mirror. Although it wouldn't be Rioka's job to help the Empress dress after this point, the seamstress had decided to return once more, just in case any last minute adjustments would be necessary for her outfit. The Empress was about to meet the Emperor, and Rioka wanted to make sure that things went perfectly, at least as far as the clothes were concerned.

In spite of its tight-clinging bodice, the dress was easy enough to wear and remove with a bit of help. The back of the dress had a seam that could be pulled apart and hooked back together, so long as the wearer was able to reach the middle of their back. As Rioka began to fuss over the skirt's many layers, making sure that they all laid smooth and wouldn't tangle with each other as Astrid walked, she missed the traces of anxiety that occasionally flitted across the fairy's face. However, it was impossible for her to miss the Empress' question.

Rioka paused, glancing up at Astrid in surprise. "You are the Empress," she replied, sounding somewhat confused but nonetheless accommodating. "Should you not be able to introduce yourself any way you please?"

Rioka's view was simplistic, but her words were honest. However, it still earned a silent sigh from the grey cat-lady maid who had been observing silently from the side in case she was needed. Her voice was soft and feathery, with the faintest hints of a trill at the ends of some words. "The formal greeting in the Empire is a head bow, so that your chin touches your chest. No other gestures are included, since not all residents of Shaden are capable of performing the required leg or hand movements. If you wish to show particular respect to someone, your head should be lower than theirs during the greeting.

"If you wish to formally introduce yourself, the greeting should include your name, occupation or role, and your magical capabilities. Formal introductions are only necessary towards those ranked higher than you, and are considered polite to your equals. After a greeting, the highest ranked person in the room will often invite you to make yourself comfortable. You may do this in whatever way is appropriate for you in the given space. Do you have any other questions, Your Majesty?"

Astrid

Eyes moved immediately to the maid that had entered the room along with Rioka, rather surprised that she had started speaking without being called upon. However, it wasn't something Astrid minded, not since the words that were being spoken held the information she requested. As the maid answered, she allowed herself the brief moment of observing the new face. The maid was much different to that of Rioka, at least in terms of appearance. The maid's outward appearance seemed softer and was definitely less terrifying. But Rioka's personality was sweet and gentle, a complete contrast to her appearance.

She wondered, momentarily, how many different faces and bodies and forms walked the streets and roads of Shaden. She suddenly felt slightly overwhelmed at the prospect of having to learn everything from scratch, the types of warlock and what they could or couldn't do. Not to mention every other aspect of Shaden. She would have to learn all of this as its new Empress.

"Thank you."
Astrid replied finally, having absorbed the information she had been provided. Her eyes turned back onto herself in the mirror, hesitating for a breath, before beginning to practice said custom in the mirror.

Her name would be fine to provide. But what title did she gave? Her occupation was no longer future Empress of Arryn, however she was not yet married to call herself future Empress of Shaden. Then there was her abilities. Magical abilities? Did that mean her wings? And make herself comfortable-- did she sit with the Emperor after her introduction? Stand at his side? Take an empty seat below the throne?

"Oh... I have plenty." She added, stopping with her practice trials of the head bow as Rioka finished fussing over her dress, "But... unfortunately I believe that is all we have time for. I wouldn't wish to keep anyone waiting."

Exhaling breathlessly, Astrid pushed her shoulders back and straightened her spine, her chin tipping upwards for now as a result. "Thank you both, for your help." She turned to face the two women in her room, offering a sincere but polite smile as she prepared herself mentally for the unknown of the Shaden court.

The dress was gorgeous, something she had to marvel in once again as the materials kissed her skin so delicately. She would, without a doubt, be requesting that Rioka made more of her dresses in the futue. While she knew the seamstress said she didn't want to monopolise the Empress, Astrid was certain that she wanted to work with Rioka again. Perhaps it was due to her being the first friendly face she met. Either way, Astrid wasn't about to delve too deep into the inner workings of her mind.

So with that in mind, she made it known she was ready to head down to court and meet her new subjects... and her future husband.