Agents of Galactic Standstill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makoto sighed and hailed the surface, crossing her arms as she waited for the Humans to respond. She had no idea what she would do in order to gain what she needed, but she knew that she would do something. Anything. It was starting to dawn on her just how bad of an idea it was. However, she needed to do this. If she didn't, she would never find put what had happened to them.

She tried to hail them once more, frowning. "This is Battle Destroyer Siege Ship J-8754 of the Nebula Fleet. I request permission to speak with the highest person of office within range of this communication. Silence will be taken as denial." She put in that last part very carefully. She knew they were scared, and she knew they thought they were at risk of orbital bombardment. It was a natural assumption that denial would breed anger, and anger might lead to violence. Neither side wanted violence, but only one side knew this. That made it easy to manipulate.

When fighting a ship with superior firepower, a captain's best option was to flee. When fighting a ship with superior firepower and speed, a captain's best hope was merely to survive the encounter. Rukh considered his options as his crew did their best to match the decoys' behavior, spinning and then boosting, appearing random while strategically heading toward the edge of the asteroid field. They'd wound up near but slightly behind one of the decoy drones, and Rukh took a moment to admire the illusion that made the flying hologram projector mounted on an enormous engine look rather convincing. He knew he should be thankful that they had managed to trade for such advanced technology, and yet he found himself wishing they had acquired a shield generator and some of the Nebula's fancy weapons instead of these toys.

Sadly however, this game that they were playing was a deadly mix of hide 'n' seek combined with rotary roulette, where only one tube out of six contained the torpedo that could sink them. Or in this case, only one out of the six targets was correct! The Illusive Hand was the ship marked as Target 4 on Ana's display, and the entire crew gritted teeth and groaned with dismay as the pursuing frigate chose them and one of the decoys to attack. Rukh's face was an unreadable mask of intense concentration as he watched the display, the launchers and turrets powering up and preparing to unleash their attack. Not all was lost, but at this point their chances of survival had become perilously slim. There was only one chance remaining.

"Prepare for the Illusive Shuffle!" he declared, tapping at the buttons on his chair's armrest and calling up a holographic work station in front of him.

Sergio was relieved to see their captain finally start to take things more seriously. He knew that Rukh's apparent indifference was merely a coping mechanism to allow him to deal with the unrelenting brutality of humanity's current condition in general, and their frequently punishing circumstances in specific. As the frigate chasing them unleashed a barrage of missiles and... particle beams?! The surprisingly advanced weaponry of their attacker threw the freighter forward, forcing the first mate to grab onto a crew member's chair as several bridge officers were thrown into their consoles, one unlucky bastard sent to the ground from the impact. But Sergio stayed on point and barked his commands. "Engines full stop! Cloaking field activate! Captain?"

The imploring gaze from his second in command didn't faze Captain Rukh, who was too busy crafting the perfect display of holographic artistry. To Ana's sensors, the freighter marked 4 took direct hits- and its engines sputtered to a stop, leaving the target drifting. But it didn't continue to be 'the target' much longer, instead the appearance of the freighter shimmered and fizzled, filling with static and becoming more granular and blocky as it lost texture resolution. Finally, most of the space it had previously occupied suddenly became empty, stars visible through the place where gray metal had been. The only thing that remained was a drifting bundle of engines attached to a small control module, a large drone of some sort, it seemed, no longer active now that it had been found out.

A similar thing happened to the freighter designated Traget 3, though the heavier fire tore its engine bindings apart, sending one rocket twisting away from the others while the remaining three spiraled for a second, before their thrust died as well. The image of the transport ship spazzed out and then collapsed, leaving another drone dead in space, while four more versions of her prey adjusted their course to try and escape the shark in their midst, and given how close they were to the asteroid field, Ana had time to perhaps catch up to one more if she so chose.

On board the bridge of the Illusive Hand, everyone sat in darkness, in utter silence- their ship eerily quiet. Sergio was busy urging repair teams back to engineering to try and patch coolant leaks and salvage one of the two engines that were down, but Rukh was too focused on playing his next move. He'd shuffled the shells and his opponent had seen through the noise- now it was time to convince her she hadn't.

Using the remote control for the drones, Rukh selected one of the many pre-recorded messages he'd loaded on to each of their computers, each custom-designed to a certain outcome so that they could be played and seem legitimate. This was part of the reason that he always wore the same outfit- in addition to the fact that it was a cool outfit. Ana would soon receive a transmission, from each of the four freighters, played in parallel. It seemed as if the captain had somehow managed to backward engineer the quantum entanglement systems that the Nebula ships used to communicate instantaneously, allowing him to be in four places at once without giving away his real location.

The message portrayed a disapproving yet amused Captain Rukh, shaking his head while smiling lopsidedly. "Tsk tsk. You got greedy and lost. The great tactician never puts all of his eggs in one basket. Now you have but a one in four chance to catch me, and I like those odds!"

The answer to Makoto's hails came surprisingly quick, though the verbal response was less than forthcoming. The 3D display that transmitted from the surface was from older equipment, lacking color and appearing grainier than might be expected from new models. What's more, the hologram had a tendency to lag and skip forward, struggling to match with the audio. The array they'd had before had been of much higher quality, but this what they were left with.

Before Makoto's eyes appeared the same Magistrate who had come to them before, after the destruction of the Hypercom array. He seemed a bit less fired up this time, more subdued, though very guarded as his eyes squinted, his natural left one and his cybernetic right one narrowing with suspicion. "What is it? What do you want?" No pleasantries, no titles this time. Just the voice of a tired man who appeared to want nothing more than to be left alone.[/hr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Makoto bowed slightly, knowing that whoever she was talking to had to be important. He may not have wanted pleasentries, but she was going to show him the respect he thought he deserved. No doubt this would surprise him, but it was a strange time they lived in, and strange things needed to happen in order to obtain what each party wished for.

"I have not, despite what you may believe, come to make demands. I have come to make some inquaries that this battlegroup belives you may be of assistance with. In return for your cooperation, I am certian you and our leader may strike a bargain as to adiquite payment for your services. I come in search of information on the small ship that has just perished above your planet. Any information on the ships computors or the pilot of said ship would be greatly appreciated. In order to sate any concerns that may have arrisen, I will assure you that our interests lie securely outside of causing you harm."

She straightened her back, a nervous frown crossing her face. One could almost see what looked like tears rolling down her cheeks. "Please.... We only seek to understand what has happened to us. Anything you can tell us will help us greatly. Please..."

If the grizzled man before Makoto was taken aback by the bow, he didn't show it. The pixelized view of his face shifted slightly he leaned back, but he didn't change his expression or return the nod.

Magistrate Serunk needed little help remembering that his conversation partner was not human. She looked the part perhaps, aside from the bizarre outfit, but adjacent to the display of Makoto's likeness sat the camera feed of her ship. The sight of it caused the few men left in the control tower with him to shift and bristle with pent up animosity. Serunk recalled that Kax had lost his brother when the Hypercom array had gone down; that station had not been an unmanned one.

Still, the longer he listened to this human-shaped puppet speak, the more he grew confused. What game was this, that the Nebula were playing? What did they hope to gain from this sudden change in demeanor? The scar that ran diagonally across his forehead rippled as his bushy brows furrowed. He couldn't bring himself to hope that this was actually a change in heart on the part of their oppressors.

"... What is this?" he asked quietly, looking around the room at the people outside of Makoto's view. "You murder the one person who has shown up to help us in two years. And then- and then you come here, to drag her identity out of me? Did she put up enough of a fight? Enough of a chase?! Now you want to put a name to the silhouette on your blood-soaked hull?!" The magistrate was clearly irritated- no, that wasn't the right word. Livid. Outraged. Pushed to the point of snapping with muscles tensing as he gripped the edge of the display table, trying to hold back his anger. It would do no good now, but then neither would capitulation, as payment would come in the form of gradual torment and death on their isolated, inhospitable moon.

Makoto noticed the man's subtle changes in demeanor, glad that the bow had taken him off his guard. She was not glad, however, about the next few sentences. He thought it was a trick. He thought they still served the fleet. Well... maybe they did, but she had to let him know that they were willing to help. She looked over the data at the time of the change for a few femto seconds. Nothing that she could figure out on her own. However, she felt like she was starting to piece the puzzle together. She looked back up at the Magistrate, tears still silently rolling down her face without her knowledge.

"Sir, I understand your frustrations and your anger. I truly do. Even though I am not human, I can comprehend your emotions perfectly. That is what I am talking about. All of us are experiencing.... Something. Something none of us have experienced before. Something we are all truly afraid of. That pilot did something to us as she perished. Please. At least find it within yourselves to help us understand, or tell us who can help us understand. We are confused. We are scared. We will not and cannot hurt you, right now. Please... help us make sense of this. I have already sent you the audio file of the pilots last transmission to us. Please... Tell us what has happened to us. We beg of you..."

The amount of tears flowing increased. Despite the lack of color, the change in saturation would easily give away her bloodshot eyes. She looked... almost human. Scared and confused, dealing with a threat they had no idea how to face with no idea what to do. Almost like the Humans at the beginning of the War. Strange how history tends to repeat itself, even now.

Serunk was ready to cut the transmission in the most aggressive manner he could, though sadly slamming his fist on the table would likely only hurt his hand- the controls responded to fingertips, not punches. But before he decided to end the signal, he received an answer that really unsettled him. A weird, confusing response that made his eyeybrows furrow all the harder and his lips purse into a thin line of conflicted hesitation. He really didn't know what to say to this.

His men had some input, however. The young miner whose brother had died aboard the Hypercom array stepped closer. "Sir, you can't trust them...!" he urged, his anger still burning brightly while Serunk's had cooled to a glowing ember in his chest. Another man- Mgosun, their head mechanic- piped in urgently. "But, what if they are telling the truth? Consider it!" The other men murmured their agreement or doubt, frustration and hope. It was a cacophonous debate that left Serunk paralyzed with indecision.

"We do not know anything- or, much... about that scout pilot. I know her name was Charity, and that she flew... with..." Here he paused, considering his next words and the enormous impact they might have. If this was an elaborate ruse... "I- do you realize... do you really understand, what it is you are asking of me?" His demands came with a flare of indignation and his jaw clenched under his beard. "If I tell you, and this is some ploy- any hope we have of relief- of survival! It will be dashed. There is not much of a chance now but it is something! It's why we cling to life and suffer through each unforgiving day. If you are doing this- saying these things- to dig this information out of me... we are lost if I speak. Can you not understand the gravity of the situation you put have put me in? Even if what you say is true?"

He said all this in such a final manner and yet... he had not terminated the conversation. The fact that the communication link remained open seemed to indicate that things were not as decided as even Serunk himself would like to believe. But why? Why didn't he simply quit, and walk away? Perhaps it was the awareness that he had nothing to walk away to, whereas this discussion held the possibility for change. And when your situation was so dire, any change was potentially a good thing.

Ana's smile fell away as the transmission came in from the four remaining active targets. this really was not her area of expertise. she could follow any ship operating under standard systems, no ships of equal size or larger as well as many smaller human vessels were unable to outrun her and her armament while not overbearing for a vessel her size was more than adequate for her typical tasks and backed up by superior targeting systems... systems which she had failed to take advantage of earlier before the freighter had made its bold move with the asteroid. Such a lapse in judgment would not have happened before the loss of her original core, yet this did not overly concern her, that it had lead to the current situation was frustrating however.

Ana closed her eyes and sat down in the captains chair of the bridge as she began scanning her databanks and analysing the situation. She lamented that her sensors did not have the capability to dissect the four transmissions for any irregularities, at least not without spending a portion of time on the task that she did not have. She had a chance to reach but one more of the targets before they were far enough out of the asteroid field to make a FTL jump. She knew what the decoys were now, even if it did not help her identify them at this point.

With the freighter captains taunt replaying over the bridge audio system Ana opened here eyes abruptly and smiled again. She had found a piece of information in the human side of her database and it seemed to fit the current situation rather well. She had made her attempt to take the vessel and now it seemed they would slip her grasp without some luck. She did however have solid reasoning to suspect the freighters next destination, while before her sat two examples of the decoy drones, one half destroyed by her main weapons and the other seemingly disabled but intact. The later inactive drone, formerly target 4 on her display, was the better candidate for study. she set a course to get close to the drone and slowed to standard cruising speed.

Initiating a transmission of her own she allowed the video link this time around, after all her use of Nebula fleet weapons had likely exposed her true nature already. She opened the transmission with the data she had located in the human core, a quote from a long dead human that apparently had influence in his time. "Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war." She paused for a moment as she made slight adjustments to her heading. "You see Captain, Tacticians look at the battle before them, a Strategist plans for tomorrow." She spoke thee lines with the confidence of one that had plenty of time to plan for the ultimate goal of victory rather than rushing to grasp at every win. The confident smile then fell away again however and her tone changed to one of obvious curiosity. "If you might indulge me one question before you run captain, why do you resist so?"

Sergio had seen some pretty impressive repairs in his days as first a naval officer in the Akanai Corporation's ironically named 'Interplanetary Defense Force' and then later as a renegade and smuggler. Back then, ship battles had been slow and tactical, launching slugs magnetically from afar, attempting to dodge while trying to trap enemy vessels with overlapping fields of fire. And a hit might put a ship out of commission, but there would be enough time to manage some field repairs to try and get the ship back into the battle. In this new, dark age of humanity's history however, the only successful repairs he'd seen were on the part of Nebula ships, whose nanotechnology allowed them to recover from grievous wounds suffered in combat.

And in this case that trend would continue, as the damage to the engines was severe and extensive. If those attacks had hit their armor then they might have escaped with minor hull breaches. But the danger in turning one's aft to the enemy had proved too great- engines 1 and 4 were down, and there was no repairing them. They could ensure that the massive thrusters didn't explode if the other two were used, but that was about it... and with their accelerating force reduced by half, the freighter wasn't going anywhere quickly, any time soon.

On the bridge, seated in his contemplative silence, the gaunt Captain Rukh mused on their current situation. He'd played his every card, done his best bluffing, and it seemed it was all for naught. Given everything he knew about his attacker now, he'd surmised that she was in fact of the Nebula fleet, though perhaps there was the possibility of a daring pirate with captured Nebula gear. Unlikely, however. Given everything he knew about the Nebula, the only outcome once his ruse was discovered as the enemy ship grew near, was destruction. And that just would not do.

In front of Ana's sensors, that 'disabled drone' quaked as two of its engines roared back to life. It began to limp away and all around it a shimmering field of distortion warped and wavered, like rippling waves created by a stone thrown into a pond. At the same time, the human captain responded to her, with video. He still sat slightly slumped on his seat, resting his angular jaw line on the knuckles of his right hand. His mouth formed a lopsided, though faint, grin. "If I did not resist, I would not be. Living is not for the weak; only by struggling for every extra second have I managed to secure those seconds at all. There are many out there who did not resist, and they are not here for you to question them so."

The illusion fell away from the freighter in front of Ana's frigate, revealing the damaged cargo ship where previously only the image of a deactivated decoy drone had been. The power reading from the freighter showed that they were going to attempt an FTL jump, even without clearing the asteroids. And without two of their engines. "I do hope you've enjoyed the battles of today. Because you face a tomorrow devoid of humanity. And really, where is the fun in that?"

Makoto nodded, once again inexplicably understanding the man's pardicament. She could have been streaming this communication directly to the fleet, for all they knew, and she didn't want them to make that connection. If they did, there was no way they would belive her. However, she belived that she had the perfect way to secure a deal.

"Once again, your pardicimant is clear and I empathize with it. However, let me offer you a deal. In exchange for the information we request, we will garunteenthe safe passage of three years worth of food and water. No strings attached." She swallowed hard, a hand moving up to touch her wet cheek. A puzzled look crossed over her face. She looked at the Magistrait, frowning. "Have I been... Crying?"

Ayako was worried. These negotiations so far had been tense, and Makoto was managing, but she was clearly under some for of distress. She'd seen it in humans often enough, but never in another Nebula ship's avatar, unless it was part of a ruse. This time, it was far more concerning to her. At least the human administrator she'd spoken to earlier hadn't completely cut them off, yet. She decided she'd had enough, and joined in on the call, so to speak.

For both Makoto and Serunk, the communications flickered briefly, before being re-established, slightly the worse for a third party joining in. Ayako did not have her usual smile, but rather an expression of concern. "Sorry to butt in," she began, "but are you all right, J-87- er... Makoto, isn't it?" She wasn't used to addressing other ships' avatars directly, and clearly wasn't sure if she'd gotten the right name. "I'm going to be honest, I don't know how much three years of provisions would be, so we may not be able to carry that much cargo ourselves. None of us are transport ships." It was a dangerous thing to add to the negotiations, but it was well worth mentioning before they made a promise they couldn't easily keep. "Still, we'd find a way to hold to our end of the bargain." At this point, it was clear she was addressing Serunk more than her comrade. "I know your continued survival must depend upon shipments of supplies from offworld, and I don't like the idea of blockading your colony to death, either. That may be a consequence of our directives, but it's far too disagreeable." Even with this heavy talk, she had something of a light tone to her words. "You have no reason to trust us, so let us find a way to prove ourselves to you, first. We're just as confused and desperate as your are, although for different reasons. So if we need to secure relief for your problems before you can do anything for us, that's fine by me."

She wasn't sure there was one. Even all this talk of transporting provisions could...probably be acceptable. She couldn't recall anything that prevented them from engaging in interstellar transport or trade. Particularly in the pursuit of their own goals. She couldn't recall any reports of doing such before either. However, if they chose to collaborate directly with human ships...that would without a doubt prove that they at least weren't slaves to their old programming. She certainly hoped so, if that was what ended up happening.

The trump card that was supposed to win Serunk over did not have much of an impact as he shook his head, well aware that there was next to no one left alive who could even attempt to provide food and water, and that there was no way to request such provisions anymore anyway due to the loss of their FTL communications. He was more bothered by the sudden bizarre question, that left him feeling quite uncomfortable, and he shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "Uh- you..."

Thankfully a distraction soon arrived in the form of a third participant, the sight of whom Magistrate Serunk was significantly less distraught to see. And what's more, her words seemed to confirm the smaller ship's awkward attempts at negotiations, and opened up a sliver of hope that gave Serunk pause. "You would..." He stopped, glanced off to the side again, searching among his retinue for some sign of advice; they were at as much of a loss as he was. "You would bring us water?" His rough tongue flexed with yearning, pressing against the roof of his mouth as his everpresent thirst threatened to overtake his logic entirely. His next breath was painfully dry, perfectly aware once more of just how parched he was, how his lips cracked as he opened them to try and form words that rasped in his throat.

"I- I may be a fool, but I will tell you what I know." That caused a flurry of action as at least two of the men out of the scene engaged in a brief scuffle of some sort, unseen by the rudimentary hologram recorder. "What difference does it make? If they are lying, the smugglers won't make it through any way. We are dead either way." He turned his attention back from his unruly men to the avatars in front of him. "I want you to understand: We do not need much. This colony was built to be nearly sustainable, with but a little trade. We have much to offer in resources and materials, and in exchange we needed only bi-yearly shipments of water; our recycling systems could keep us sustained otherwise. But now, we have gone for too long without resupply, and every day two- to three hundred people... they cannot go on. They collapse, and die in streets. We don't even have the means to ease their suffering in their last moments." As he spoke his chest heaved and he grew angrier just thinking about it.

"Two shipments a year! Two! That's all- all that we..." The man's head ducked, showing his shaved scalp as well as the criss-crossing scars from scalding burns. He took a moment to compose himself, gripping the table until his knuckles turned white. "The water was supposed to come from the next system over, the Abassi system. There's an asteroid station for harvesting and refining ice- they've got storage tanks full of fresh, clean water. I don't... know what happened to that woman's comrades. They were supposed to fill their ship with water and then head here next. But they have not arrived. Maybe they are dead. But that is your best hope to find out more about the late Charity."

It was done, the information was given. The two men holding back Kax let the sandy-haired youth go and he glared at them before storming out of the room. There was no going back now- it was up to the Nebula ships how the future of Lythios Minor would play out.

Reactions: Honor-Sama
Horizon had been listening to the negotiations. There had been several times she had wanted to interject, to yell at the human and do several other irrational things. She did none of them, instead she threw herself at the engine, trying with all her might to find some semblance of control. Still Horizon was a mess, though she had no part to play with.. Charity's death, she new that J-8754 or Makoto had been following orders like any good solder. She couldn't understand why the humans would blame her, blame the fleet when they were just following orders. It wasn't their fault these humans had decided to live on this molten piece of rock.

Lost in her own head, the conversation flowed on without Horizon paying much attention. It played on the rooms audio speakers for her as she worked, crouched down on the floor. Amazing how a few words can catch someone in their web, that they could flip your world upside down. The moment the man said they didn't even have the ability to ease the suffering of the dying Horizons heart dropped to the floor. She jumped up only to slip backwards and hit the floor hard. She scrambled to her feet regardless of the possible injury and ran out of the room toward the bridge.

The ship didn't need to wait for its AI to get to the bridge however. Firing several thrusters it began to move from its stationary position in formation to turn and begin to head away from the moon. It would take a few minutes to reach the edge of the system and be able to jump safely, already the ship was computing the necessary calculations to jump to the Abassi system. All the while Horizon ran full sprint the short distance from Thruster to the bridge.

Finally there she didn't wait to catch her breath. Horizon opened communications to her battle group. Unlike usual communications between Nebulas Ships this one included live video feed of a small women doubled over breathing hard. A full head of red hair was streaked in several places by some dark fluid, her white shirt dirtied in a similar manner. "Commander, this is Protected Battle-" she paused mid sentence to catch her breath before standing up straight and continuing. "This is Horizon, I'm going to go to the Abassi system to see were this stupid ship is. I won't be too long, I just' I can't wait here! He said people are dying, they didn't do anything wrong and their not breaking the directive. " With that said she bowed low. "Sorry commander for not awaiting orders, I shall be back to receive any punishment you see fit. "

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
Ayako was momentarily taken aback by Horizon's initiative. Those watching on the negotiations could see her eyes visibly widen in surprise at the sudden announcement from the smaller ship. They could also hear at least her side of the conversation, as she replied. "Go ahead, Horizon. You don't need to wait for my orders as long as you don't go jumping into a trap. and as much as I'd like us to all stick together, it's just a system out, and there's probably no need for all of us to rush out anyway." On the off chance the two ships ended up crossing paths in hyperspace transit, it would probably be best if at least some of their number were waiting. For all she knew, a running battle would drop right into the middle of the system.

She turned her attention away from the proverbial negotiation table to open a hailing frequency to all ships. "All ships, be advised. I'd like a partial detachment to remain here, but if any of you wish to go along with Horizon to provide escort to that transport, go. And good luck."

She turned back to the conversation at hand, and reached up to adjust her hat. "Sorry about all that," she said with a sheepishly apologetic tone. "It seems some of us are rather eager to do what they can. You'll have to forgive her enthusiasm, but as the flagship for this little fleet, I can't just ignore things like this." Never mind that outside of giving her consent, that was exactly what she was doing. But when the commander isn't keeping a tight grip on the reigns of command, that's just the way it goes. "Anyway, I hope that freighter gets here soon, and in one piece. Otherwise...well," she opened a general channel again. "does anyone have a tractor beam?"

Makoto dumbly nodded at both Ayako's concern and her question, speechless for the time being. She dropped to her knees very suddenly, the emotional weight taking one hell of a toll, on her. For someone who just a good number of people, she was surprisingly.... Soft.

Her eyes remained locked on Ayako, tears ever so sowly rolling down her cheeks. She looked like a child. One that had just suffered something great. Something... Profoundly traumatizing. However, she was starting to put together what might have happened to them.

"Commander... I think... I think she made us like them." She pointed to the Magistraite before letting her head hang low, eyes cast ti the ground. "I think that this... Charity. She might have made us human..."

On the ground, it was much less clear what was going on up in orbit, though the table display did update to reveal the sudden shift in position as one of the destroyers lurched into movement. Serunk leaned forward and his eyes widened, the organic right eye taking in the development while the artificial left one whirred and twisted to focus. He looked back up at Ayako for explanation, but found the female avatar speaking to someone, presumably the ship now departing.

This was a lot to process, or rather- it was a pretty heavy thing to understand. It really did seem like these Nebula ships had undergone a change of... heart? Or rather, had gained a heart somehow? It almost seemed too good to be true, too surreal that their former oppressors now came to them on something akin to their own level. "This is real... then? You are sincere in what you have told me?" Serunk watched as Makoto cried and for the first time since they began speaking, his mask of resentful stoicism cracked and dropped fully, revealing a concerned softness in his visage that he hadn't felt in a very long time. He looked almost sorry for being so harsh- a sentiment that truly sparked some cognitive dissonance given all the things this destroyer had done. And yet, looking at that tear-streaked girl, he felt an instinct stir within him, to comfort her. "I- I hope you do not... blame me for my skepticism. This is all so very hard to believe. But if what you say is true, I do not envy your position." Well, that wasn't entirely accurate. He would love to have his own enormous warship with advanced technology, but not so much the existential agony that Makoto seemed to be experiencing.

The Captains reasoning was one Ana could well understand. In those moments when she had first been hooked up to the Anacapa's human core and the human crew had tried to breach her Avatars processor. Defend, Counter, Overcome, those had been her automatic directives, her instinct, as the humans called it. It had not been until after the humans were all dead that she had realised something was different. That she could relate to a human interested her and that required further study at a later date. As it was she would very likely be able to destroy the freighter before it was able to jump away, assuming the captain had no more tricks left, the captain had made a valid point however, where would the fun be in destroying them now.

So instead Ana powered down her weapons and closed off her launch tubes. The captain and his crew were just as likely to blow themselves up in their ill advised FTL jump without any additional help from her, she was interested to see if they could pull it off. The captain had earned some measure of respect from Ana, which struck her as odd, none of her targets had done that before. With her weapons powered down Ana kept a sensor lock on the freighter and began moving towards the edge of the asteroid field herself, she wished to keep an eye on this prey that had piqued her curiosity, but she did not plan to make a jump from inside the field herself.

In all honesty, Rukh had no intention of making such a jump, either. He still made for all the preparations, however, powering up the FTL drive and plotting their course while they continued trudging along. Thankfully, due to space physics, they hadn't stopped moving before when the engines had been cut- only stopped accelerating. And between the conversation and the following preparation time to jump, they had nearly worn down the clock anyway! The large rocks were growing more and more sparse as they neared open space, and the crew were filing back into the bridge, each with a sense of wonder that they were still alive.

But why were they still alive. Rukh stared at the still shot he'd captured of his conversation partner, analyzing the expression of this Nebula ship's avatar and allowing his mind to wander. "A lady with as much foresight as fortune; I respect that very much. Now, if you will excuse us, there are some very thirsty miners waiting for us- And the true performer knows not to keep his audience waiting!" It wasn't clear if Rukh felt himself an artist or a tactician or what, but he certainly enjoyed playing the role. Perhaps he hoped that if enough people believed his claims, it would make them true.

Sergio wasn't convinced and he shook his head as he crossed his arms over his chest. "How in... the galaxy, did you pull that one off?" There was a saying among smugglers: never stare too long at a gap in a patrol. It meant that examining something fortuitous for too long would often result in it backfiring, but still Sergio couldn't believe their luck. They had less than five seconds to safety left, when Rukh gave the order and the helmsman threw the switch, jolting their ship into a tunnel of swirling gravitons. Space itself compressed in front of them, so that even their feeble thrust could propel them faster than light itself toward their destination.

The data was very easy for Ana to read at this point, no further attempt to hide or deceive. They were clearly headed for the Lythios system.

While Horizon was still en route toward the edge of the system, to clear the pesky gravitational grip of the star at its center, Ayoko began to feel a familiar tingle from her ship's sensor suite. That prickly sensation that always preceded the arrival of a ship- and a sloppy one at that, indicating it was likely human, or else a damaged Nebula ship. The graviton readings were equidistant from Horizon and their battlegroup's current orbit over Lythios Prime; whoever it was, they were taking quite the risk and jumping in close to the colony!

"Human?" Ayako was visibly confused. "But...that's impossible, you can't just-" she caught herself. "Oh wait. you don't mean physically. Just mentally or...fundamentally, somehow? I suppose it's possible. Everything I did run across suggested that there were issues primarily with my," she almost said "Avatar's" but caught herself and continued without it, "personality. Something happened to give us a heightened sense of awareness and all. I think." She paused for a moment to consider things. "We might be liberated from our deeper ingrained commands and directives, as well."

She sighed, and faced Makoto's holographic representation on the bridge. "I just want to go over there and give you a hug, or...do something to tell you it'll be all right," she said with genuine warmth tinged with regret. "It's...easier said than done, sadly." She could, but there would be a long process of docking and walking empty ship corridors that would likely mean the moment would be lost.

A sudden alert tugged her out of her melancholy. "Attention all ships," she announced. "Incoming hyperspace signature. Looks like it's vectored to drop out fairly close to the colony. Horizon, I guess you won't need to hurry off after all." She turned to address Serunk more directly. "And with any luck, you won't have to wait much longer on that delivery." She giggled girlishly, genuinely smiling for the first time.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Makoto looked between the two people before her, both concerned for her, yet not for the same reasons. One was acting strictly on human instinct. The other was helping to calm a comnrade who could destroy everyone in this system and possibly more. Of course, the newfound compassion could also be the cause. Makoto wasn't concerned with such things. All she was was happy that she was supported so. She slowly stood, wiping her eyes.

"I... I am sorry. I need some time. Magistrate, it has been a pleasure for me, even if it has not been for you. Please, give my condolences to those affected by my previous actions, whatever that may be worth, to you. Now. If I may..."

Makoto disappeared from the projector, instead retreating to the confines of her ship. She sat down on the floor, resting her head up against the railing. She had never wondered why she needed a railing, before. It had never really bothered her. Now, however, she pondered this fact. She found that this helped her calm down, so she continued.

Reactions: Gat
At least their destination was just one system over, otherwise the slight gravitational tugs of the asteroids around them might have proven disastrous. Over such relatively short distances like this Sergio was certain they would arrive intact... so long as the Nebula ship didn't change its mind. He still could not fathom that one, how a cold machine of logic devoted to the annihilation of human transport vessels was going to simply let them go. If it was a part of a greater game of cat and mouse he could understand to an extent, but even then it required going against their primary objective, something he'd never seen a Nebula ship do before.

But as long as it meant they could escape, Sergio wouldn't try to question it too hard. He grunted a distracted answer to an engineer who came up to him with a damage assessment of their engines, already aware of how much time and materials they would need to manage repairs. Hopefully the rest of this leg would be uneventful, allowing them to drop off their water at Lythios and then bring the minerals they picked up their back to Mesvend Station for some much-needed R&R. Repair and refit. And if everything went perfectly they might even be able to swing back to the Abassi system to retrieve the other decoy drones... though they might want to let some time distance their departure from their return, in case the Nebula Fleet decided to double down on the ship's in this system.

It was with a bittersweet feeling that Sergio watched the asteroids slip away behind them while they jetted for their next stop. As far as he knew, they had been the last living humans in that system, and no one would be available to give the former residents of Yula-9 a proper memorial. They had downloaded the security logs of the station's last few weeks but even knowing what had killed everyone off, there was little that could be done about. Justice was but a distant memory, of a more civilized time.

The next twenty five minutes were spent tensely awaiting their arrival. A few times they'd needed micro thrusts to ensure they didn't skip off the superdense channel of condensed spacetime around them, and if the journey had gone on for much longer they would have been at serious threat of winding up shredded and scattered across the next parsec or so. With a sigh of relief, Sergio watched the stars return to their normal coloration when the hyperdrive shut itself down- but that peace was short-lived.

There was a saying among smugglers: Out of the target lock and into the blast radius. Basically, as bad as things were- they could always get worse. And as the readings started coming in on the bridge's monitoring stations, Sergio's heart fell into his stomach: this was much, much worse.

On the ground, Serunk was making side comments to the few remaining men up their in the tower with them. His efforts to persuade them into spreading the message of all clear so that the colonists could return to their duties was not going over too well. Which might have had something to do with his own hesitance to believe that they were really out of the lava flow's path. This all seemed so surreal and he nodded his head slowly at Ayoko's reassurance, dumbfounded but increasingly hopeful.

When the destroy- Makoto, decided to depart, he finally returned her bow, dipping his head forward to show respect. "May the ground be solid beneath your feet. Or... engines..." he added, after Makoto had disconnected. Turning to Ayoko he actually looked slightly sheepish. "That saying... It does not translate to your- eh, anatomy." But there were far more pressing matters to attend to, and he had a million questions, but above them all, the sudden arrival of the smugglers took precedence. Leaning over the display table, he watched that new blip appear in the system, and a box of information expanded into existence. It showed the modular, awkward shape of the transport ship, a Locomotive class medium freighter, and also detailed the damage the ship had suffered. That might explain why it was late, but Serunk felt his anxiety rising once more. If this was a trick by the Nebula ships, they would have no difficulty at all pinning the Illusive Hand in place and then slicing it to ribbons with their weapons.

To the sensors of the four gathered Nebula ships, the latest arrival to their designated patrol zone quickly engaged its engines, though its resulting movement was anything but quick. With only two working thrusters its turning was ponderous and gradual, and the ship seemed intent on heading away from the three vessels orbiting Lythios Prime, as well as the lone destroyer at the edge of the system. It was clear that the ship would be unable to escape them, likely not even if all its engines were working, and their FTL drive would be on cooldown for another twenty minutes at least. The captain undoubtedly expected imminent destruction... and unsettlingly enough, in the 'minds' of all four Nebula ships, there was a not-insignificant desire to dish out that destruction. A twinge, an instinct, an underlying drive that told them they needed to put an end to that vessel's interstellar capabilities. It was the first time they were ever actually aware of feeling this, whereas previously their every action had been a subconscious undertaking of their Directive.[/hr]

Reactions: Honor-Sama
Status
Not open for further replies.